Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not the hugest fan of Roxy. But maybe that's just because a lot of act 6 is a blur to me. My brain just fills it in with "there was relationship drama."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is a derail, but hey, that's what this thread is about. Seeing as it's the more or less ancestor of Homestuck, I was curious about the guy who made Kid Radd. The original site is dead, and the guy seems to have disappeared from the internet. What the heck happened to that Dan Miller guy? Did he just give up writing webcomics and doing stuff like this?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jake did punch Sea Hitler. That's gotta count for something.

John punched Time Hitler, so he wins that one.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's a lot easier to like Jake if you consider him satire. Jake is every Token Girl from every comic / sci-fi book / cartoon pre-2000, but a guy. Even down to the booty shorts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jake did punch Sea Hitler. That's gotta count for something.

Which page was that?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

rotinaj posted:

This is a derail, but hey, that's what this thread is about. Seeing as it's the more or less ancestor of Homestuck, I was curious about the guy who made Kid Radd. The original site is dead, and the guy seems to have disappeared from the internet. What the heck happened to that Dan Miller guy? Did he just give up writing webcomics and doing stuff like this?

If you wanted a mirror, here you go. Kid Radd is one of Homestuck's clearest antecedents, and is short enough that anybody who's still in this godawful thread can probably power through it in an afternoon. It's, good.

I have no idea what became of Dan Miller, however. His name is nigh-ungoogleable.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I like almost every character in Homestuck.

...I like Eridan.

I like? Gamzee? (I liked him, he still confuses the hell out of me, which i assume is the point)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Hell if I know. I tried getting in contact a couple years back, and couldn't manage it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McStephenson posted:

I like almost every character in Homestuck.

...I like Eridan.

I like? Gamzee? (I liked him, he still confuses the hell out of me, which i assume is the point)

I always felt bad for Eridan. Everyone hated his guts but besides being a little whiny we never actually see him do all the heinous things everyone alludes to, so it's hard to must up the hate for him.

Kronus, on the other hand, is a piece of poo poo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm not the hugest fan of Roxy. But maybe that's just because a lot of act 6 is a blur to me. My brain just fills it in with "there was relationship drama."

Roxy is basically the only one not tainted by the love triangle arc. I get the exasperation with the Alpha Kids as a whole though, since I share it.

EDIT: If it wssn't already absurdly obvious, the password is "home."

Jen X fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I bet there's a secret page locked behind a secret password.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hussie's a genius.

That is all.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
That was pretty drat cool

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
That's one way to make the narrative loop in on itself again without repeating or making first-time readers accidentally skip big parts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahahaha alright that's a pretty good way to do it. Fair enough Huss.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I typed in "HOM3" and it didn't work. :saddowns:

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
This update was a cool update

I redact my previous worrypost

fair enough, hussie.

fair enough.

edit: also i want secret passwords on that page so bad dear lord

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Well then, this seems like an excellent way to do retcons without throwing archival readers into confusion. Well, not as much confusion as there would be otherwise. And it also reminds me of how the earlier MSPAs had multiple options you could choose rather than just one. That was a pretty cool update, actually!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

McStephenson posted:

This update was a cool update

I redact my previous worrypost

fair enough, hussie.

fair enough.

edit: also i want secret passwords on that page so bad dear lord

I to am ready for secrets on that page. Sadly none have been found yet.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I guess everyone who called that Terezi was putting a codeword in John's mind as a tracer had the right idea.

I thought the same, but I thought she was going to direct him from earlier...which she still might do.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My favorite part will be the next update when Terezi is all "OK future John, what do we do?" and he's all "Oh, uh... I hadn't thought of that yet." and everyone is disappointed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
terezi passing down high justice on her toys will never be not funny

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think my brain just popped a hernia.

segoli
Oct 23, 2010

But of course, from a thief's perspective, the best kind of ladder is the rope-ladder. A step-ladder is much too heavy to carry around, after all.

rotinaj posted:

I put a very moderate amount of effort into trying to see if he was anywhere on the internet near the beginning of the year, in hopes of getting a brief, informal interview for a sort of ten years later introspective (the comic ended in September, 2004), and I couldn't find anything. I didn't dig as far as contacting other people who might have info, because I felt like that would be creepy, but the most obvious route there would be to ask Mark Hadley, who wrote the Kid Radd ending music and also wrote a bunch of Homestuck music.

I'd love it so much if he did something else; there've been basically two eras in webcomics so far, defined by the point at which it became feasible to actually have making a webcomic as your full time job, and Kid Radd is a strong candidate for most influential work from the first era. Its aesthetics, narrative devices and technological presentation are things that simply weren't possible before the internet, which is pretty cool.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wait, is there a password for this page that I SHOULD know? :confused:

edit: i am a literal idiot

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm a dumbass and put "STUCK" as the password on my first try :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm a dumbass and put "STUCK" as the password on my first try :saddowns:

HOME wasn't even my second choice :downsgun:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I tried "no place like home", "there's no place like home" and "413".
I am not a clever man.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The page before literally shows you putting in the password :psyduck:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I thought it was going to be 'HOM3' becasue it had the Libra symbol, man!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If anyone needed any proof that Homestuck fans were the dumbest creatures on the internet...

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

GodFish posted:

On a different page you idiot

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Hussie's going to use this password system again, isn't he? It'll let him alter history while still keeping the old timeline up on the site.

Craziest case scenario: a passworded altered timeline wherein the reader has two choices after the initial change - skip ahead from significantly altered event to significantly altered event up to the 'present' (this could also work on its own and be less crazy in doing so), or, and here's the crazy part (the earlier the change the crazier, natch), page through an entire altered version of Homestuck from that point onward, with the one changed detail changed throughout in addition to the altered versions of events mentioned earlier, but otherwise the same as before. Guess what the fans would rather do given the choice. You never know WHAT Hussie would hide in the altered Homestuck, after all.

Edit: Oh poo poo, he could use the same password page and just use multiple passwords.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 10, 2014

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

GodFish posted:

It's a bit too straightforward by Homestuck standards, you know? Still, it was pretty dumb.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

DaveKap posted:

My favorite part will be the next update when Terezi is all "OK future John, what do we do?" and he's all "Oh, uh... I hadn't thought of that yet." and everyone is disappointed.

"Uh... Um..." Drags Terezi to the Land of Being Unstuck in Time.

Basically, what I am saying is that John is going to improvise poorly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, someone put in a password and now we're in a different, earlier part of the story, with two Johns running around.

...countdown to Johns merging?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Sadly, 'horse' isn't a valid password. Hussie, I am disappoint.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Every time I think there is nothing of value left in this comic, something fun like this gets pulled out. That was pretty cool.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

This is still stuff that hussie had made during the gigapause, right? Man, to think he had this in his back pocket for almost a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So here's a thought, what if John were to teleport Terezi onto her quest slab inside prospit's moon before Bec Noir blew it up?