Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Insurance questions:

Do you guys notice any difference in insurance rates based on state helmet/safety laws? I'm in a "we don't care if you die" state and am curious if my rates will go down if/when I move.

Also, is there any benefit to getting my full MC endorsement sooner rather than later? I've basically been riding on my permit because I don't want to take some time off from work to go down to the DMV and take the riding test. But if it helps my insurance I'd do it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
are glasses like this good?
http://www.cuffcrazy.com/global-vis...pY9QaAnai8P8HAQ

Assuming I can get perscription lenses in something like this?

EDIT: And yeah, i'm probably going to get contacts, not trying to be all "GOON IN A WELL" But having options are nice.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 8, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

are glasses like this good?
http://www.cuffcrazy.com/global-vis...pY9QaAnai8P8HAQ

Assuming I can get perscription lenses in something like this?

EDIT: And yeah, i'm probably going to get contacts, not trying to be all "GOON IN A WELL" But having options are nice.

Good for making you look an utter loving dork, yeah.

You might be able to get them in prescription but it will be pricy because they look like they're bi-curved and the grinding for them is complex as hell. Also they'll still mist up because it's caused by your warm, moist breath hitting the cold lens, that will still happen with those but only on one side.

As a stopgap measure you're much better off looking at things like Respro masks or anti-mist sprays or - and don't take this question as an insult, everyone should always check the simplest things first - making sure your helmet's vents are open and unblocked.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost all glasses lenses sold these days are polycarbonate.

I meant the frame more than the lenses themselves, them shits break if you so much as look at them wrong (ime only though).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Breathe out through your nose.

That never worked for me. Aiming my breath downwards helps a little bit. Moving with the visor cranked a bit helps a lot (as long as it doesn't rain, then the inside of the visor starts crying), contacts are great (as long as you don't have dry eyes and a job behind a computer screen), eye lasers might be better but $$$.

Or don't ride. That's an option too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get contacts. It took me about forty five minutes of agonizing struggle to get them in the first time and I ended up frustrating the optometrist because she couldn't comprehend why I couldn't just hold my eye open while she shoved a foreign object in there with her finger.

After the first few days I realised that all of the techniques they teach you to put them in are terrible and wrong and you should just do whatever feels right; now I do it on a daily basis, it takes me 30 seconds and it's totally painless.

Now on the few occasions when I have to wear my glasses it feels like this tremendous inconvenience having this bulky device on my face that constantly falls off and blocks my view and gets dirty; I haven't ridden with glasses since I got contacts and I picture it being really difficult and uncomfortable.

Also a minor side benefit is you no longer have to shop for helmets based on whether or not your glasses fit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SquadronROE posted:

Insurance questions:

Do you guys notice any difference in insurance rates based on state helmet/safety laws? I'm in a "we don't care if you die" state and am curious if my rates will go down if/when I move.

Also, is there any benefit to getting my full MC endorsement sooner rather than later? I've basically been riding on my permit because I don't want to take some time off from work to go down to the DMV and take the riding test. But if it helps my insurance I'd do it sooner.

Yes, most insurance companies look at how long you've had your endorsement as how long you've been riding, so you're better off if you get it sooner.

I've seen enough accidents where people busted up their faces with their glasses frames (including a buddy who had 2 hilarious black eyes from big sunglasses) to never want to wear sunglasses while riding. Get a tinted visor, and contacts or LASIK.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Cool. Now to send in a picture of my BIEKS ATGATT sticker to prove I've taken the pledge.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As a stopgap measure you're much better off looking at things like Respro masks or anti-mist sprays or - and don't take this question as an insult, everyone should always check the simplest things first - making sure your helmet's vents are open and unblocked.

NAh, its all good, i'm still a stupid newbie.

Right now, if the glasses are fogging up too badly, I just don't wear them.

Will find out about contact lenses at my next eye appt in a few weeks.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kuffs posted:

I use these UVEX wipes http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S477-Fog-Eliminator-Cloths/dp/B003M0BY8C . The wipes are reusable and they last about 2-3 weeks if you keep them wrapped up in their little packet.

The downside is that they seem to only come in boxes of 100, and I don't remember paying that much when I bought mine.

I use Uvex googles at work, and even at $100 if the anti-fog in those wipes is the same as what comes on the googles then they're worth it.

Ever worn goggles when it's 100F, humid, and sunny? They never fogged at all.

e: Contacts are frustrating as hell to get in for the first two weeks, but once they're in you don't feel them anymore. Cheap ones feel dry after about 12hrs though.

e2:I'm trying to get the safety dept. to buy a box of this stuff. Trip report in a week hopefully?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 9, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SquadronROE posted:

Insurance questions:

Yes, my insurance for a year on the bandit in New Mexico: $116. That's with all the boxes checked at max. No helmet law.
In North Carolina: $218, same coverage. Helmet law.

My adjuster in NM said "we don't pay out a lot of claims on bikes over 600cc. Mostly single vehicle. Mostly fatal."

I had my licence for a year before I took the MSF. That dropped my insurance by 40% (the one year plus the MSF added up to a big drop). I can't see how it's possibly a bad idea to get the full endorsement. Just make sure you're legally allowed to ride your bike alone on a permit, or have some plausible way to have gotten to the DMV with the thing. There are plenty of horror stories around here that the DMV will not only revoke your permit, but may have the State Police write a citation for illegal vehicle operation, since permits here only allow you to operate a motorcycle while in the company of someone with a full endorsement.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

nitrogen posted:

NAh, its all good, i'm still a stupid newbie.

Right now, if the glasses are fogging up too badly, I just don't wear them.

Will find out about contact lenses at my next eye appt in a few weeks.

crack your visor or leave some vents open your helmet has them.

I also suffer from nerd problems and I have only had one morning where I just couldn't see poo poo. It was foggy outside and 42 degrees. I had to leave the helmet slightly cracked on the highway. Really unpleasant yes, but no more fog.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Anyone have experience with contacts made for people with astigmatism? I tried contacts years ago before they were a thing and had trouble with them staying put on my dumb misshapen eyeballs. My vision would go blurry, I'd blink and they would shift back. Not something I would like to have happen on a motorcycle. Kinda tired of having glasses on my face.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I got hella astigmatisms in both eyes and I wear acuvue oasys for astigmatism. Occasionally I'll get a very mild blur, but a couple of blinks fixes it -- they're definitely better than regular contacts, which I wore for the first year and every goddamn thing was blurry all the time. Contacts have come a loooong way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know anything about contacts, but I love the two eyeball-themed post/title combos.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Yeah, I got hella astigmatisms in both eyes and I wear acuvue oasys for astigmatism. Occasionally I'll get a very mild blur, but a couple of blinks fixes it -- they're definitely better than regular contacts, which I wore for the first year and every goddamn thing was blurry all the time. Contacts have come a loooong way.

Interestingly those were the ones I was initially told to try and then after a couple of weeks I was told that they're too small for my (presumably giant and googly) eyes and were crushing my cornea. But yeah. When I first got glasses around a decade ago it definitely wasn't worth getting contacts, nowadays it's a no-brainer.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I think they do some gas-permeable/rigid lens options for astigmatism now, which is good, because I have it in my right eyehole.

Here's a general question: how hard is it to do your own chain/sprocket replacement? I don't think I'm due yet, but I'm wondering if it's something I can figure out or if I should get it done.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lynza posted:

I think they do some gas-permeable/rigid lens options for astigmatism now, which is good, because I have it in my right eyehole.

Here's a general question: how hard is it to do your own chain/sprocket replacement? I don't think I'm due yet, but I'm wondering if it's something I can figure out or if I should get it done.

Easy, but it requires some special tools. The nut holding the front sprocket on is gonna be a strange size that is probably unused by any other vehicle you own. You're going to want a chain breaker/riveter tool, too. A grinder with a narrow disc helps for getting the old chain off and/or trimming links. Other than those three things, it's no more complicated than changing your tire or brakes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

M42 posted:

Yeah, I've got hella astigmatisms in both eyes and I wear acuvue oasys for astigmatism. Occasionally I'll get a very mild blur, but a couple of blinks fixes it -- they're definitely better than regular contacts, which I wore for the first year and every goddamn thing was blurry all the time. Contacts have come a loooong way.

That's because astigmatic contact lenses have a slight "wedge" shape (to simplify) to them, which means the thicker part of the wedge gets pushed downwards when you blink. Astigmatic contact lenses rely on alignment to correct your vision.

To use an example I used with my patients that is fairly easy to understand, imagine it like this: Take a frisbee, and bend it in your hands. Now, freeze that bent frisbee! If you take that bent frisbee and cut across it in one direction, you're going to end up with a fairly flat curve (along the ridge of the bend). This is the part of your eye with a lower power in the lens. Now, reassemble that cut frisbee, and instead cut it 90 degrees away. You'll end up with a very steep curve. This is the part of your eye with a higher power. This means that in one axis of your eye, you have a different power and need a different correction than you have in the axis of your eye 90 degrees away from that. Astigmatic lenses have the multiple corrections in that, and the prescription is written accordingly.

Most prescriptions that are spherical (same correction on all 180/360 degrees), and are written something like -7.00 SPH (like mine). That means that no matter what axis I measure the prescription in, it's -7.00, all the way around. An astigmatic rx would be written like -7.00 -1.25 x090. That means that in the 180/0 degree axis, it'll measure -7.00, but 90 degrees away in the 90 degree axis, it'll measure -8.25. Normal contact lenses can spin all around in your eye, because they're spherical prescriptions. Astigmatic contact lenses need to sit in a specific axis, so they have the "wedge" to keep them oriented. Early, early astigmatic contact lenses were weighted to some extent, so they wouldn't work if you were laying on your side, but overall that's a really small issue. You can think of your astigmatic eyes as being slightly squished or distorted in a way that is best corrected by an astigmatic lens, though nothing is perfect. And, truth be told, I have like .25 and .50 diopters of astigmatism in my R and L (OD/OS) eyes, respectively, but that's too small for the lowest astigmatic contact lenses (.75), and even if I had .75D of astigmatism I'd probably skip the lenses, because when you're starting off with -7.00D of corrective power, the extra -.75 is not worth the hassle overall for a slight improvement in clarity.

And yes, before you ask, if you are hyperopic and have a + power, it still works the same way. +1.00 -0.75 x120 still ends up as +1.00 in one axis, and +0.25 in the 120 degree axis. They're additive.

For instance, for the "astigmatic eye" on the right, there

I'd write it as -3.00 -3.00 x090

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lynza posted:

It's not terribly hard. Getting the back tire back on is a bigger PITA than anything else you're going to do.

The sprocket itself is what? 8 nuts/bolts? Just make sure you have whatever odd rear end hex keys you're going to need before you start, or you're going to be making a pissed off run to home depot.

Also your front sprocket nut is going to be some weird 3Xmm bullshit so glhf finding a socket that fits (go to an auto parts store).

Geirskogul posted:

-7.00 SPH (like mine).

Holy poo poo that's strong. I thought my -4.00s were bad.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 9, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

OK, today's stupid question:

Tell me a bit about different add-on windshields, and what I want (or dont want) in one.

Looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/r/dp/B000GTUM9O/ but not sure what makes a "good" one or a "bad" one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Why do you want a windshield, quit being a pussy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah they just deflect all the envelopes and postcards straight into your face.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nitrogen posted:

OK, today's stupid question:

Tell me a bit about different add-on windshields, and what I want (or dont want) in one.

Looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/r/dp/B000GTUM9O/ but not sure what makes a "good" one or a "bad" one.

They're usually a crap shoot. You'll gain some wind protection but usually that means also gaining some super obnoxious head buffeting at freeway speeds.

Most helmets come with a built-in windshield.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Well that answers that question then!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to offer a different opinion here and say that I really like riding with my windshield. Much quieter, keeps me warmer on the cool mornings, downside is cruisers look better without the windshield (imo) and it does suck getting the wind blasted right into your helmet (but it's better than chest and helmet), and you get bug guts on it. Still, when I had my windshield mount broken for a few weeks and I rode without the windshield, it really made me miss it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

it does suck getting the wind blasted right into your helmet (but it's better than chest and helmet)

I don't know about that. A focused, turbulent blast from a windshield right at my helmet is not better for me than smooth, even wind. You *can* get a comfortable windshield set up on, but if you get it on the first try without buying 2-3 different shields, cutting one down, or modifying the mounting setup, you are a lucky sumbitch (and now your bike looks awful).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm gonna offer differing opinions too.

Windshields are a major comfort helper if you regularly ride above 40mph. The fact that you may get buffeting on your helmet just means you need to adjust your windshield or get a different one or get a laminar lip or a winglet. There will always be some buffeting unless you have a Goldwing. Wear earplugs and you'll be fine.

If people are comfortable riding a naked bike at 70mph all day, that's because they have a high tolerance for discomfort. It's not because windshields are less comfortable. Windshields are more comfortable.

Replacing chain and sprockets is what I'd call a moderate job. Harder than replacing spark plugs, easier than an engine top end. You do need some special tools. You don't necessarily need a chain breaker/press. You can just cut the old chain with a sawzall. You don't necessarily need a huge socket for the front sprocket, it depends on the bike. If you do need a huge socket, you may need an air gun. It's easy to run into problems while doing this job, especially when trying to put the new master link on. Rivet tools are not user friendly, the tools themselves often break, and even clip-links (which I'd recommend) don't always work right and may need dicking with. Or they may need dicking with and you don't notice it because you haven't done it before and the chain pops off afterward as a result. If you try it at home, consider posting some pics of the finished job to get an opinion before riding off on it. As always, it's good to follow a repair manual.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every time this and the naked vs fairings debate comes up I realise that CA, whilst very accepting of all the wildly varied genres of biking in general, is starkly divided into two camps on this issue. We'll call them the 'I need to hide from the wind because of my foetus-like neck muscles' camp and the 'Take a wood pill and harden up' camp and there doesn't appear to be many on the fence.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If people are comfortable riding a naked bike at 70mph all day, that's because they have a high tolerance for discomfort.

My rear end gets sore long before the diffused wind even gets anywhere near discomfortable.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My commute is 60 miles and depending upon how retarded my fellow commuters are acting 60-95% of that is above 80mph. Add a headwind pushing up valley walls which feels like hitting a brick wall at speed has me squarely in Camp Fairing. For fun rides it doesn't matter, but believe me, it gets annoying pretty quickly when you're half asleep and just want to be to work already/just want to be loving home.
Having a decent windshield is a big help in my case.

EDIT: I even commuted on the same bike with and without fairing and vastly prefer with. I even rode Seattle to San Diego, San Diego to SF and San Diego to Zion, Utah naked and really didn't mind. It's the pleasure vs. work grind thing again I guess.

vvv I always wear ear plugs if I'm going to be going over 50mph. I have too many loud hobbies and try my best to preserve what left of my abused ears.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Bugdrvr posted:

My commute is 60 miles and depending upon how retarded my fellow commuters are acting 60-95% of that is above 80mph. Add a headwind pushing up valley walls which feels like hitting a brick wall at speed has me squarely in Camp Fairing. For fun rides it doesn't matter, but believe me, it gets annoying pretty quickly when you're half asleep and just want to be to work already/just want to be loving home.
Having a decent windshield is a big help in my case.

EDIT: I even commuted on the same bike with and without fairing and vastly prefer with. I even rode Seattle to San Diego, San Diego to SF and San Diego to Zion, Utah naked and really didn't mind. It's the pleasure vs. work grind thing again I guess.

I found ear plugs made a big difference as to how annoying wind was. Before it got annoying and tiring after a while, after I don't really care.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Is it just me, or is taking earplugs out after a long ride almost as satisfying as taking a big poo poo in the morning?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The only way to experience motorbiking is 130 mph wind on your exposed body every ride.

That naked bikes look way more cooler than all other bikes ever is just lucky coincidence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

The only way to experience motorbiking is 130 mph wind on your exposed body every ride.

That naked bikes look way more cooler than all other bikes ever is just lucky coincidence.

Yes.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Here's a question: are naked bikes as fun on a track?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nitrogen posted:

Is it just me, or is taking earplugs out after a long ride almost as satisfying as taking a big poo poo in the morning?

Bonus if they have a clod of wax stuck to the tip, signifying that 1: you had them inserted properly, and 2: your impossible-to-clean ears (seriously, I've been to a few specialists) are now temporarily cleaner, giving you super-hearing. Downside: need new earplugs, but earplugs are cheap.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Barnsy posted:

Do supermotos count?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Barnsy posted:

Yup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SmFJrsC38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Marxalot posted:

Do supermotos count?

Not really interested in a sumo (sorry). I'd only get one as a second bike.