Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Republican Vampire posted:

I scrolled up and it's really the same complaint. Dude's pooping his pampers because he's so mad that Marvel is trying really hard to make their TV programming happen and to integrate it into the universe. The fact that they're doubling down on SHIELD despite a disappointing start, trying to present Agent Carter as event programming, and coming up with a big convoluted knot of streaming TV for netflix doesn't register because WAH TELEVISION IDN'T DA MOVIES.

I just skimmed it for cliffs. Hopefully butthurtus isn't fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ward's really lucky he put a plate of bulletproof material under his armpit and Skye didn't go for a headshot afterward.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Tsvi posted:

So it just dawned on me.

They killed Whitehall, but Ward and Agent 13 escaped.

You kill one head of the Hydra and two will rise in its place.

They shot Whitehall, and he went down. We'll find out when the series resumes if his magic organs keep him alive.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Only half way into the episode, but dear God I hope this show stays on the air. It just keeps getting better.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

westyx posted:

They shot Whitehall, and he went down. We'll find out when the series resumes if his magic organs keep him alive.

Three differnt people found him dead. Do you really think Hyde wouldn't notice? His death was the only thing he could think of. Of course he checked for all signs of life! Whitehall beeing alive would just feel stupid.

Besides the obvious stuff, I really liked how Bobbi and Lance shot two people at the same time. It shows that they can really read each other.
I wonder what that weird file drive was. And how Mac reacts when he returns and it is missing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, holy poo poo. They really knocked that mid season out of the park I think. Haven't read the comments, so maybe that's not popular opinion, but a drat solid episode to say the very least.

Also I'm not familiar with the Marvel characters of Quake or Hyde; I read their back stories online and think they were far, far improved for the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

I really hope that Mack is okay, I sort of missed Coulson dragging him out at the end. Though I'm not sure how Coulson and Tripp were able to avoid getting Big Mack-ified, especially with all the hazmat stuff going on before hand.

Coulson has enough Kree blood in him that the process might simply not work (but obviously not enough for sentinel Mack to acknowledge him as Inhuman.) What happened to Mack also seemed to involve direct contact with the floor which neither Tripp or Coulson did.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Coulson has enough Kree blood in him that the process might simply not work (but obviously not enough for sentinel Mack to acknowledge him as Inhuman.) What happened to Mack also seemed to involve direct contact with the floor which neither Tripp or Coulson did.

This is a good detail that I forgot. Thanks.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we take a moment to appreciate Coulsons judo skills

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Well that was loving fantastic.

Agent Carter better be good enough to fill in the gap, March is a long ways off and I want more now.

vvv True, I was hoping to see some more interesting architecture, which I don't think will happen now Sky/Daisy/Quake/Marysue is bringing the house down.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 10, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the only thing that was disappointing about the episode was for all the talk of a secret city the set was just generic cave.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Look guys, just because we had people being hit by mists from crystals that turned them into coccoons and gave them superpowers it doesn't mean these are Inhumans. Those could have been any kind of crystals!

I updated the OP :ssh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
haha... OP burn.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I didn't enjoy this episode.

Skye is a loving moron and it seriously gets on my nerves. This is the second time she failed to properly finish someone off. I literally cannot wrap my mind around why she didn't shoot Ward in the head after taking him down. :psyduck:

Also, why do we keep seeing Mr. Hyde in his human form? He's supposed to be able to turn into a monstrosity. Instead we see him stab people with sharp things and get into lame fist-fights. :yawn:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyway, this interview suggests that the emergence of Skye's powers is somehow connected to Tripp's death.

quote:

TVLINE | How will this twist activate Skye as a character, moving forward?
TANCHAROEN | What we’ve set up for a season-and-a-half is the origin of a superhero.
WHEDON | And we know from how it went down [in the winter finale] that she doesn’t necessarily know what’s happening. She won’t necessarily know what caused what. And all of it will be tied to a very sad event in losing a dear, dear friend [Agent Tripp, killed by an obelisk shard]. It’ll be a complex journey; it’s not going to be all fun and games.
TANCHAROEN | Connecting Tripp’s death to the beginnings of her power is a very complicated journey for her, from here on out.
TVLINE | What should we be reading in her expressions during that final sequence?
TANCHAROEON | It’s a mix of many things. When she bursts through the [shell], I think it’s one of the most glorious moments we’ve had on the show. She looks so heroic and beyond awesome. And then to have her eyes land on Tripp as he crumbles to the ground, to see those tears forming…. Again, very complicated.

This wasn't very clear in the sequence, even after I re-watched it a couple of times -- I thought Tripp died because he got exposed to the mist but isn't "special" like Daisy and Raina.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think that's what that interview is suggesting. Tripp was dead long before Daisy's earthquake powers shattered the statue the crystal made out of him.

So Raina is now physically disfigured. And I'm gonna assume those thorns are poisonous. Just because taking away everything a character has and then dealing with it is kinda the tradition for these Whedon shows, and Raina's entire skillset was based around interpersonal relations.

EDIT: Also if this wasn't a TV show Ward would almost certainly be dead from what Skye did to him so I can't blame her for being in a hurry and not shooting him a fourth time in the head.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 10, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

This is the second time she failed to properly finish someone off. I literally cannot wrap my mind around why she didn't shoot Ward in the head after taking him down. :psyduck:

She shot him 4 times so she could escape. Pausing for a gratuitous execution shot to "properly finish someone off" would've felt like a bit much to me. Plus Ward is a fun character to have hanging around. (Also Coulson didn't "properly finish off" Whitehall either, whoops, I'm thinking he'll be back)

enraged_camel posted:

Also, why do we keep seeing Mr. Hyde in his human form? He's supposed to be able to turn into a monstrosity. Instead we see him stab people with sharp things and get into lame fist-fights. :yawn:

This is one case where I think the TV show budget might mean that 'less is more' where that's concerned. A big goofy CG monster with the sort of CG they've shown off would probably just look cheesy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

I didn't enjoy this episode.

Skye is a loving moron and it seriously gets on my nerves. This is the second time she failed to properly finish someone off. I literally cannot wrap my mind around why she didn't shoot Ward in the head after taking him down. :psyduck:

There's a big difference between shooting someone from a distance going for center mass and walking up and just capping someone in the head. Skye simply is not that cold, she's not capable of it. If she did that she'd be the same as Ward, something she never wants to be. And she had more important things to do.

That's a pretty dumb complaint honestly. Why didn't this character do something completely out of character? They would totally win the mission! It's a super videogamey mentality. Why didn't Gandalf just put Frodo on a giant eagle?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Electromax posted:

She shot him 4 times so she could escape. Pausing for a gratuitous execution shot to "properly finish someone off" would've felt like a bit much to me. Plus Ward is a fun character to have hanging around. (Also Coulson didn't "properly finish off" Whitehall either, whoops, I'm thinking he'll be back)

She's been with SHIELD a little over a year and hasn't fully transitioned to "cold-blooded compartmentalized killer", frankly I like it. She's pretty badass at this point, but some things are still difficult and that's good.

The thing about her powers being tied to a sad event where she lost a friend, that's not suggesting anything mystical, it's a little emotional twist. It's gonna be hard to feel 100% happy about what happened in that cave 'cause every time she thinks too hard about how she got her powers, she's gonna remember her friend dying and it will make her sad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

There's a big difference between shooting someone from a distance going for center mass and walking up and just capping someone in the head. Skye simply is not that cold, she's not capable of it. If she did that she'd be the same as Ward, something she never wants to be. And she had more important things to do.

That's a pretty dumb complaint honestly. Why didn't this character do something completely out of character? They would totally win the mission! It's a super videogamey mentality.

Out of character? She's supposed to be a field agent who has trained under May, who would definitely have done the job right and certainly taught Skye how to do it right, too. Heck, the show goes out of its way to repeatedly point out that Ward is a high value target and extremely dangerous. One would have to be stupid to not make sure he stays down.

And I'm not totally sure what the difference is between shooting someone four times in the chest versus once in the head. Both of those things are clearly done with the intent to kill someone. Except Skye doesn't seem to know how to do it properly.

quote:

Why didn't Gandalf just put Frodo on a giant eagle?

The eagles weren't Gandalf's, that's why.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't know the difference between shooting someone in self defense to escape and capping them in the head when they're clearly disabled you're probably Darren Wilson IRL.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

This is one case where I think the TV show budget might mean that 'less is more' where that's concerned. A big goofy CG monster with the sort of CG they've shown off would probably just look cheesy.

We don't even know if he is actually an awakened inhuman. There's definitely some hints towards it but nothing concrete.

Plus the actor is so good I wouldn't want him replaced with a cgi monster in the freak out scenes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Out of character? She's supposed to be a field agent who has trained under May, who would definitely have done the job right and certainly taught Skye how to do it right, too.

And I'm not totally sure what the difference is between shooting someone four times in the chest versus once in the head. Both of those things are clearly done with the intent to kill someone. Except Skye doesn't seem to know how to do it properly.

She couldn't kill her dad, either, even though he's a murderer. She's consistently shown a difficulty in executing people throughout the series, and has only done it when absolutely necessary.

One of the ways that soldiers are able to kill people while still staying relatively sane is by dehumanizing their enemies, not thinking of them as people. You may not understand this, but what that means is that with someone like Ward, that Skye has a close personal relationship with, even though she hates him and wishes he was dead, it makes it harder to use her SHIELD "don't think of them as a person" psychology on. So it's harder to kill him like that.

The difference between center mass shots and headshots is that while both have "intent to kill", as you say, with center mass shots you don't know for sure that they'll die. With a headshot, you basically know for sure that you're murdering someone.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, this interview suggests that the emergence of Skye's powers is somehow connected to Tripp's death.

This wasn't very clear in the sequence, even after I re-watched it a couple of times -- I thought Tripp died because he got exposed to the mist but isn't "special" like Daisy and Raina.

I think they more mean the same event that gave her powers killed Tripp, so she has that association between her powers and Tripp's death. He died due to an obelisk chunk blowing into him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Skye really had every reason to believe those shots would kill Ward. She doesn't know she's in a TV show about comic book characters.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Killer mid-season finale imo, pacing was frantic to say the least and almost everyone acted the hell out of their scenes. MacLachlan chews so much scenery but that's appropriate for his character.

Barry Convex man, you need to chill and accept the fact that Marvel runs a tight ship and that Feige is basically the showrunner for the entire MCU franchise. What will it take, I wonder? The reason they do their utmost to keep the continuity between the TV shows and the movies and even between the movies themselves from getting too intertwined is because they want people to be able to watch any movie on the premiere weekend without having to go through a backlog to understand what is happening. It's hard to pull in new fans when there are several years worth of movies to go through to get up to speed whereas so far you could go watch any of the movies and still understand the story completely. Sure there are some callbacks, especially in IM3, but they are not central to the story and probably never will be.

Callbacks for the fans, contained stories for the majority of the audience has been their MO so far and they are making bank doing it.

enraged_camel posted:

Uhm Tripp had shards sticking out of his chest from where his petrification spread so it was in fact abundantly clear.

Shame to see BJ Britt go but I guess working around two tv show schedules and appearing in a movie the same year was a bit of a headache.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't get why anyone cares so much about Tripp when he barely had any scenes at all.

Mack was way cooler and he survived, so I'm happy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't worry guys, BJ Britt will definitely return by Avengers 2, as evidenced by this blurry photo of the back of a black man from 500 yards away.

Did anyone else find it amusing the character named Triplett kept getting freaked out by the multiple Koenigs?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I don't get why anyone cares so much about Tripp when he barely had any scenes at all.

Mack was way cooler and he survived, so I'm happy.

Tripp was a genuinely likable character. He was cool, funny, and didn't turn out to be a psycho like Ward. I did wish he got more scenes but I didn't know he was in another show.

Mack is OK. There isn't anything particularly remarkable about his character, especially because he's part of a group where everyone clearly excels at something, whereas he seems to be a regular mechanic with no exceptional skills. They need to develop his character to be more than just "Fitz's friend." Hopefully we'll see more of him and Bobbi in the second half of the season.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I thought it was a really nice touch that when Triplett was running around defusing the bombs, that although they didn't mention anything about it, his gunshot from a couple episodes back started bleeding and the bloodstain slowly got bigger over those scenes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rarity posted:

Look guys, just because we had people being hit by mists from crystals that turned them into coccoons and gave them superpowers it doesn't mean these are Inhumans. Those could have been any kind of crystals!

I updated the OP :ssh:

Lol, well, I suppose I earned that.

I still don't think this makes the show an "integral storytelling engine" for the MCU as a whole, but whatever.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 10, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I'm not familiar with the Marvel characters of Quake or Hyde; I read their back stories online and think they were far, far improved for the show.

Daisy doesn't have a real backstory in the comics. But she's a really great character and Secret Warriors was amazing. The showrunners are big fans of it, and I hope they keep using what they can from it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The show is really cool with how it subverts TV tropes.

Goody-two-shoes-perfect-agent Ward turns out to be awesome crazy (not really)Hydra bad guy.

Pining-after-the-perfect-agent Skye turns out to be able to recognize that crazy-rear end Ward is a murderer and instead of thinking of him as a "troubled soul" that she needs to save like a CW protagonist, she flat-out shoots him.

Also, I guess "Flowers" has thorns now, like a rose? :v:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So is monster Raina an Alpha Primitive?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must the only one who didn't really like Tripp, and his death was pretty cool, so that was an awesome episode all round.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So is monster Raina an Alpha Primitive?

Probably not. Alpha Primitives in the comics are not created with the same crystals used for Inhumans, and I don't think they're even really Inhumans, just normal humans exposed to another kind of gas. Raina seemed like she was an actual Kree-modified Inhuman, just not activated. Alpha Primitives are just simple slaves, while Raina looked like a weird monster. Turning into a weird monster is actually pretty common for Inhumans, it's a big risk.

Mack was more like an Alpha Primitive.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

This is a weird complaint. Comics Hyde is a pretty dumb loving character to begin with, and them putting Kyle McLachlan in a muscle suit or CGI'ing him up would add nothing unless they had a movie-sized budget. And while the thought of someone trying to recreate League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Hyde in a TV show is very funny what they're doing is a significantly more elegant solution.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I'm a few episodes behind on this show (I just watched the one where they figure out the line drawings are a city schematic), then I get up and check this thread...

Looks like I really need to catch up ASAP. :catstare:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

WarLocke posted:

So I'm a few episodes behind on this show (I just watched the one where they figure out the line drawings are a city schematic), then I get up and check this thread...

Looks like I really need to catch up ASAP. :catstare:

It's really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
430 posts overnight. Expectations were very high. I was not disappointed.

The Flash thread currently has 334 posts.

Expectations are very high.

I hope I'm not disappointed.

:ohdear:

• Locked thread