Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Hungry posted:

I would love to hear more about this, if you can mention some google-friendly buzzwords or industry-specific recruiters?

Building Information Modelling. The government has mandated that all public sector civil engineering has to be produced using BIM by 2016. BIM means you create an intelligent asset database during design. Everyone's design (civils, mechanical, electrical, HVAC, architects, the acoustic model, the thermal model) works off this monstrously clever database.
The database then gets given to the client so whether they want to replace a light bulb, knock through a wall or add a helipad on the roof, all the info they need is in one place.
Google Project Ove, a giant building model in the shape of a person.

4D modelling. Clients are asking for more to be built in less time so we're starting to simulate construction works to prove it can be done. It's pretty embarrassing to find out on the day of the show that you can't get your concrete delivered because the crane had to put its outriggers out right across the site entrance, for example.
Google Gravesend station 4D, where they simulated 15 days of construction to make sure it would all work.

Then you'll need to either:
find a civil engineering consultancy which will sponsor your training (at apprentice rates, but normally not horrendous)
learn autocad or microstation on your own (not easy) and then send some CVs out
or get on something like this
Google stuff like "CAD technician", "BIM technician", "CAD technician apprenticeship" to get an idea of salaries, skills and expectations.

If you display anything that looks like aptitude then you'll go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
I have two degrees in philosophy and english literature, and I recently had to take up a lucrative career in sales of rare hard-to-find substances to supplement the terrible wage I earn in publishing. Here's a tip for free kids, if you love thinking about things and reading stuff don't ever try and study those hobbies full-time at university unless you come from a very privileged background!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
you had me at free kids

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
I didn't know that people who used to work for the BBC browsed this thread.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

If you have any IT/UX/Dev experience then pimp the hell out of your LinkedIn profile. It's your best friend.

Starting rates for tech contractors are £250/day. If you have 3+ years experience you can get £400/day contracts. Most of these are in the 3-6 mo month range.

I'm not sure what the rates are like outside of London, but it's a decent industry to get started in. You also get to incorporate your own company, running which is pretty fun.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 10, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LinkedIn is great. Look for jobs on there, a lot of companies advertise directly on LinkedIn and you can often see who got your resume.

I tell all my friends that it is their friend, you can search linkedin for jobs by location as well as skill set.

Generally speaking the volume of applications coming via LinkedIn is smaller compared to those from other sources, so the chances of your application being considered are much higher.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Huh interesting, I always assumed it was the opposite. Since it's so easy to access and set up your profile there.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nope, also if you populate your linkedin profile accurately with your skills and experience you'll come up in searches made by recruiters or hiring managers looking for people, and get approached directly.

Basically LinkedIn is really interesting and one of the few social networking sites that turns a profit because they sell subscriptions - a full recruiter package is £7k a year for instance.

Anyway, you can do boolean searches on skills of employees, but also jobs iirc.

Also when you apply for a job on LinkedIn you see how many other people applied. I would say I get on average about 10-20 replies to adverts on LinkedIn - the highest was for a head of HR where I got 120, but I think that was the exception to the rule as those folks are the ones on there the most (besides recruiters and sales people!)

If you're a professional and not on LinkedIn and using it actively, you're missing out on a lot of opportunity.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Just a House of Lords update, quietly protecting us from the excesses of this government - they've defeated this government for the 100th time.

This time round, they're ensuring judges are free to use their discretion in judicial review procedings and blocking the housing of young children in secure colleges for young offenders. Nice to see Lib Dem and Conservative peers doing the right thing.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

And yet here I am tutoring kids five days a week for a couple of hours at £20 an hour with no trouble. I am even turning people away now because I literally dont have the time to do it/be in two places at once.

Awesome news, congrats. Is this through us or other agencies? And if not through us, is there anything you think we can do better or that would make your life easier?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
So I've returned to Germany right now after not even getting data entry in the UK (overqualified due to BSc Hons I guess) and got a job in tech support within a week (though they're hiring anyone who can hold a phone and speak English. we all Just got a 10% pay raise above minim wage)

I've pulled an internship in a lab that does stuff with cancer cells starting January. Only for three months but it's something. Afterwards I want to apply for the NHS science trainee programme.
Does anyone here have any experience of it?
I know it takes three years and you get a masters plus HCPC accreditation.
German MSc takes two years and is unpaid so I don't mind the "lost" time. Admission rate seems to be minuscule though, so I'll be applying to some of those 1+3 year PhDs the wellcome trust does and take the best offer i get.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I will share my own misery at uni funding for the ancient- I got fed up with the OU's lack of funds/direction, and stepped back from my degree a bit, till I discovered UCLAN running a distance Astronomy BSc that looked loving awesome. I got in contact with the team that ran the course, who were helpful and lovely, fasttracked my application and even chased up the OU when things like my student transcript were missing.

The SLC denied my funding, literally as I was about to start. UCLAN don't offer that course full time, so pay up or gently caress off. It wasn't mentioned at any other point, after literally months of getting everything in order, and calls to the SLC to make sure funding would happen. I don't have the cash to do it, so I can either go back to the OU and get a degree I don't want from a place going down the toilet, or write off over half a degree of studies. I'm so pissed off and disillusioned I can barely bring myself to think about it.

And going back to the £4K a month brickies- it sounds very appealing until you realise they might get 2 months at that wage on a site before having to wait an unknown period before another job comes up- I know multiple skilled labourers who are either busy 24/7 or desperate for any work going, never a happy medium. I'm in the second category now- anyone need a CCTV/door entry system in the Essex area?

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 10, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

tentish klown posted:

Awesome news, congrats. Is this through us or other agencies? And if not through us, is there anything you think we can do better or that would make your life easier?

Well at this point I'm now regularly tutoring for two hours three days during the working week and up to twelve hours at weekends (not counting travel) on top of a masters 9-5, so I'm working flat out and I'm still getting so many people that I'm pondering setting up my own tuition agency. Dont take it personally, but in all honesty your website was a massive hinderance - all this work comes from a simple £8 ad on Gumtree that I maybe refresh once a fortnight.

1) Requiring the verification of identity was clunky, didnt work on either of my computers (taking a photo of my passport with the webcam) so I had to go to the offices in London, where Sam took a photo of my passport on his phone. I have no guarantee that hes deleted said photo.

2) On being verified, my profile didnt activate properly and didnt show in the search results, and when it did, it showed up in the search results for Croydon - which, while being where I am, means that the number of people potentially looking at my profile is miniscule compared to a search for "London".

If tutors are willing to travel (I travel all over the bloody place!) then having a search result only for their place of residence is a massive hinderance.

3) Since I dont have a CRB (or the modern equivalent, I know they changed the terminology fairly recently)check, my profile is way down the listings, heavily penalised for being an independent tutor instead of professional teacher. As a private, profit seeking individual I cannot actually apply for a CRB/DBS/WTF check by myself. I could do so if I was in a voluntary role, not getting paid; or if I was part of a company I could, but as a single bloke I cannot.

If nothing else, I would suggest that Tutorfair has a system where they will ask for a DBS check that the tutors pay for on the tutors behalf.

I like the idea of Tutorfair, and maybe it gets used a lot by people with serious money who feel they're doing something good as that cut of money goes to tutor less well off students (although AFAI recall it doesnt really mention how that money gets to the less-well-off parent), but easily a third of people who call me say that they tried using far more expensive tutors only for them either not to show up, show up late, or gently caress them around with changing times or ringing and saying "Hey, you can come to my house instead!".

So both for me and the large numbers of people that call me, Tutorfair isnt worth the effort.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB16076

This is an interesting study.

43% of men, and 50% of women are taking regular prescription medicines.

22% of men and 24% of women are taking 3 or more prescription medicines with an average of 18.7 prescriptions per person in England per year. This is excluding contraceptives and quiting smoking stuff.

Estimated that the NHS are now spending over £15 Billion a year on these.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

serious gaylord posted:

22% of men and 24% of women are taking 3 or more prescription medicines with an average of 18.7 prescriptions per person in England per year. This is excluding contraceptives and quiting smoking stuff.

Which is, incidentally, another good argument for a centralised health service. The NHS can negotiate big discounts on drugs in the way that a patchwork of individual hospitals couldn't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zephro posted:

Which is, incidentally, another good argument for a centralised health service. The NHS can negotiate big discounts on drugs in the way that a patchwork of individual hospitals couldn't.

No obviously we should have multiple competing for profit health services which will increase operating efficiency and improve customer service because

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

Well at this point I'm now regularly tutoring for two hours three days during the working week and up to twelve hours at weekends (not counting travel) on top of a masters 9-5, so I'm working flat out and I'm still getting so many people that I'm pondering setting up my own tuition agency. Dont take it personally, but in all honesty your website was a massive hinderance - all this work comes from a simple £8 ad on Gumtree that I maybe refresh once a fortnight.

1) Requiring the verification of identity was clunky, didnt work on either of my computers (taking a photo of my passport with the webcam) so I had to go to the offices in London, where Sam took a photo of my passport on his phone. I have no guarantee that hes deleted said photo.

2) On being verified, my profile didnt activate properly and didnt show in the search results, and when it did, it showed up in the search results for Croydon - which, while being where I am, means that the number of people potentially looking at my profile is miniscule compared to a search for "London".

If tutors are willing to travel (I travel all over the bloody place!) then having a search result only for their place of residence is a massive hinderance.

3) Since I dont have a CRB (or the modern equivalent, I know they changed the terminology fairly recently)check, my profile is way down the listings, heavily penalised for being an independent tutor instead of professional teacher. As a private, profit seeking individual I cannot actually apply for a CRB/DBS/WTF check by myself. I could do so if I was in a voluntary role, not getting paid; or if I was part of a company I could, but as a single bloke I cannot.

If nothing else, I would suggest that Tutorfair has a system where they will ask for a DBS check that the tutors pay for on the tutors behalf.

I like the idea of Tutorfair, and maybe it gets used a lot by people with serious money who feel they're doing something good as that cut of money goes to tutor less well off students (although AFAI recall it doesnt really mention how that money gets to the less-well-off parent), but easily a third of people who call me say that they tried using far more expensive tutors only for them either not to show up, show up late, or gently caress them around with changing times or ringing and saying "Hey, you can come to my house instead!".

So both for me and the large numbers of people that call me, Tutorfair isnt worth the effort.

Did you have a look at Disclosure Scotland? You can get pretty-much DBS checks from them as a private individual anywhere in the UK. Might be good enough for your purposes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Not really getting what's interesting about it, or even about that number. 15 billion is only about 250 quid per person in the country, and it's not like they're prescribing diamorphine and viagara for everyone - the vast majority of these will be drugs without which people wouldn't be able to function normally or, in many cases, live.

NICE does a pretty good job of measuring the cost/benefit ratio of prescription drugs, especially long-term prescriptions, so we can assume that without that 15 billion being spent we'd be paying out a shitload more either directly in benefits and emergency medical interventions or indirectly in societal and economic harm caused by knocking 15 years off the average lifespan.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought it was interesting that we have a population where effectively half of them need prescription medicines. A lot of them are weight issue control such as cholesterol/blood pressure for men, and depression related stuff for women.

We have a society that is enabling people to be massively overweight.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Zero Gravitas posted:

This is really useful feedback, thanks. Not taking it personally, as we know we have a treasure trove of issues to address!

To handle the points directly:
1) We have to validate peoples identity one way or another, otherwise we are potentially on the hook if paedogeddon happens. It's part and parcel of running a service where people come into contact with children. Yes, it's annoying, but we can't do anything else about it. If you want to email Sam, he'll let you know what's happened with the photo - I'm going to guess that your next reply would be that his word doesn't guarantee anything, but unless you physically watch him delete it I don't know how we would prove it to you.
2) We're working on an improved location scheme where you will be able to draw out on a map where you are willing to travel to (similar to zoopla etc.) - we're aiming to release this before Christmas. For now, you could just change your 'location' to somewhere in central London and increase the radius that you are willing to travel.
3) I'm not sure why Sam didn't tell you when you met him, but we can do what you suggested and ask for a DBS check for you if you pay the usual DBS fee. The other way is that if you sign up for our volunteering events, I believe we can apply for a DBS for you for free.
We're also working on our ranking algorithm (at the moment it's pretty basic and dumps all of our 'verified' tutors at the top) so that while the 'verified' tutors will get a bonus, they won't necessarily get pushed up above other, better qualified/experienced tutors.

The charity side - we partner with schools with a high percentage of kids on free school meals, and prove those schools with tutors for small-group classes (I recall someone saying between 2 and 4 pupils per tutor) on a weekly basis throughout the term, and we also run UCAS clinics with their 6th formers. So we don't directly provide tutors to parents, as that doesn't provide the necessary oversight.

Anyway, I've forwarded on your feedback to Sam - it seems a lot of it can be improved by better communication on the signup pages.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm not on medication and I'm hosed up as hell. Makes ne wonder what a mess the other people are in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

I thought it was interesting that we have a population where effectively half of them need prescription medicines. A lot of them are weight issue control such as cholesterol/blood pressure for men, and depression related stuff for women.

So? Unless you're going to declare martial law and shoot anyone consuming more than 2,000 calories a day there's not much you can do about it. As it is all of those drugs are still saving us money because it's a shitload cheaper to chuck someone on statins and beta blockers for the rest of their life than to treat a heart attack or a stroke.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tax the fat.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Bape Culture posted:

Tax the fat.

I don't think your mum would be very happy about that

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I don't think your mum would be very happy about that

It would be the push she needs in order to get losing weight.
Country gets richer AND sexier. Makes you think.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

The cholesterol/BP control medication have pretty well-documented health benefits (albeit only noticeable in large population studies) and you don't need to be fat to be hypertensive/have high cholesterol. Society's issues with obesity have everything to do with poor education, marketing of unhealthy foods and pricing. The idea that someone says "Doesn't matter if I eat badly, I'll just get a statin" is pretty laughable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Let's not forget those who self medicate in one fashion or another, hooray for chemical dependencies to make life liveable.

:smith:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
100% tax on fast food imo. (by which i mean maccy d's and dominos, not loving pot noodles)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

It would be the push she needs in order to get losing weight.
Country gets richer AND sexier. Makes you think.

I love your curvy mother just the way she is.

Oberleutnant posted:

100% tax on fast food imo. (by which i mean maccy d's and dominos, not loving pot noodles)

That's cool lets just go right ahead and tax to oblivion the food that poor people with multiple jobs and no time rely on to live.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oberleutnant posted:

So you want to put one of the few pleasures the poor can afford beyond reach?

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
Give the pot noodle tax directly to The Man From Del Monte, thus reducing fruit prices and promoting healthy living.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Actually there is a big move to make McDonalds food healthier. The McDouble is already one of the most abundant sources of nutrition, with a huge payload of protein. It's more the chips and drinks and desserts that are bad.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
A stir fry can be thrown together quicker amd cheaper than a mcdonalds and would be healthier too.

E: and given that i earn about 10k year and spend 11hrs a day commuting+working, and still make sure to eat somewhat healthily, any arguments about lack of time or money can gently caress right off

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 10, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

A stir fry can be thrown together quicker amd cheaper than a mcdonalds and would be healthier too.

Not everyone knows how to do this, or has the time to go shopping for ingredients. It may be quick for you but for some it could take hours.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
bollocks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

VAT to 15%, remove the stupid hot/cold food distinction that never gets enforced anyway from what I can tell. Make up the difference by taxing people's hordes, say 5% per year on any liquid assets past the first £500,000.

I've got a question, my dad says that the Greens have a habit of being 'authoritarian'. Is he right? And if he's not, how would I convince him otherwise? Like gently caress I'm voting for the Lib Dems after the tuition fees thing, like gently caress I'm voting for the Tories after the pure evil thing, so all I can really see as an option is Labour or the Greens.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dabir posted:

Make up the difference by taxing people's hordes
Genghis would object and also stick your head on a spike.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tell him to combat Liberalism, seriously you can't just have people doing whatever the gently caress they want, it would be anarchy! Vote Green to have those bastard non-recyclers sent to the Gulags.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Not everyone knows how to do this, or has the time to go shopping for ingredients. It may be quick for you but for some it could take hours.

This isn't some bourgeois esoteric cuisine - you literally throw some noodles, chopped peppers and (if you like) some prawns or diced chicken or whatever into a hot pan for less than five minutes and then dump them all onto a plate together.
It is literally less complicated than beans on toast, and all of the ingredients can be bought at a Co-op for £3 - nearly half the price of a meal at McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oh god not this again.

Poorer sections of society often have severe monetary and time constraints making ordering in fast food or collecting drive through seem better overall than shopping, cooking and cleaning up at home. The sugar and fat content in fast food also provides immediate gratification which can be hard to resist if the rest of the time you're having a crap time of things.

It's no good saying other stuff is cheaper or takes the same amount of time for healthier food because chances are that the people who eat too much are aware of the fact but live in daily conditions which just makes change that little bit too hard.

When we get rid of the need for food banks and people working multiple jobs then we can start to talk about cookery lessons for the poor.

• Locked thread