Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space Whale posted:

NOT A poo poo POST:

What's your purchasing power going to be like even if you don't get american wages? Doesn't money go further?

it varies in every country. the relevant thing to google is purchasing power parity (ppp)

for example, in chile, the nominal gdp per capita in 2013 was $15,732.31. the ppp gdp per capita was $21,911. what this means is that $15k cash will buy you more like $22k of typical consumer goods in chile. groceries. rent. clothing. candy bars. (potentially: servants)

for a more extreme example: the phillippines. $2,764 per capita gdp, or $6,597 after PPP adjustment.

the thing to keep in mind is that PPP is an adjustment for a basket of ordinary consumer goods. having a high purchasing power will help you a lot if you want to buy a domestically-produced candy bar. it's gonna really gently caress your day up when you want to buy imported consumer electronics

if you want to hear a tale of woe, ask any argentinian about buying computer equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im the 31 cents

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pundits love to talk about opportunities in emerging markets, but the truth is, if there's a special niche opportunity in chile, it's gonna be exploited by a chilean.

you're not gonna pay u.s. salaries or earn american venture capital returns targeting consumer niches in chile

the same is true if you plug in just about any other country name and demonym for "chile" and "chilean"

what about "china" and "chinee"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would go to eastern europe but i guess they have plenty of computer people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0lt posted:

what about "china" and "chinese"

it's especially true for china. china has its own google and twitter for gently caress's sake.

the tech billions to be made in china are not gonna be made by foreign entrants

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's especially true for china. china has its own google and twitter for gently caress's sake.

They'd need to at least be able to handle Unicode, i18n, and l10n right, which will never happen.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Also, who the gently caress actually wants to move to China

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
china is two bad harvests away from open revolution

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

china is two bad harvests away from open revolution

i think some of america is close to two bad cop shooting innocent minorities for the same

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sniep posted:

i think some of america is close to two bad cop shooting innocent minorities for the same

if that were true shouldn't we have had the glorious revolution sometime around 1500

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i think the world is hosed, the entire world

just live in a place where you have friends or the weather is good

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
vcs don't want to form startups to solve any problems in china, they want to invest in the chinese companies that actually will solve those problems

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BONGHITZ posted:

just live in a place where you have friends or the weather is good

:smith:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

we don't want to form startups to solve any problems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

triple sulk posted:

Also, who the gently caress actually wants to move to China

its me, i moved to china and i like it here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MononcQc posted:

They'd need to at least be able to handle Unicode, i18n, and l10n right, which will never happen.

lol china doesn't use "unicode"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i'm pretty sure taobao used to use unicode and recently switched away from using it, lol

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

fart simpson posted:

lol china doesn't use "unicode"

what do you mean people don't want to use a character encoding that's biased so that all of their text is twice as big as it could be otherwise (that's also missing characters)

also don't forget the part where a bunch of white people went "all rook same" at the characters and mashed them all together

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

b0lt posted:

also don't forget the part where a bunch of white people went "all rook same" at the characters and mashed them all together

i really want to know what the thinking was behind having three different code points for the letter o that are rendered identically, plus another dozen for "o in different fonts" (which you'd think would be better handled by having ... different fonts), all while mashing anything that looks even remotely similar in non-latin scripts into a single code point.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

fart simpson posted:

i'm pretty sure taobao used to use unicode and recently switched away from using it, lol

GB-2312 encoding is a joke too. A superset of multiple encodings that still doesn't include Traditional Chinese. What takes the piss is that unsurprisingly China and Hong Kong & Taiwan tend to communicate a lot so sending raw byte streams of a lovely encoding that doesn't work the other end is a bad idea (TM). Chinese SMTP servers do not tag their email as GB2312, and many HTTP servers don't advertise either.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 10, 2014

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
OK so I actually have a DBA to work with for the first time in my career.

Uh what do I do besides "dear data wizard in your tower, please add columns"

Is it that easy?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

vcs don't want to form startups to solve any problems in china, they want to invest in the chinese companies that actually will solve those problems

chinese intellectual property and securities laws are so hosed that putting money into technology is a fool's game even for domestic investors. you can't ever be sure that you will actually own any of the products or profits of a firm

for foreigners it's even worse. you can't invest directly in the chinese markets, and you can't have real ADRs as we know them. alibaba-type arrangements are null/void under securities laws. investors rights to profits hang on private contracts between paper "firms" that don't really exist. at any time alibaba could tell its "investors" to gently caress off and keep the money

what are you going to do, sue a mainland chinese firm from hong kong, with standing based on a dubiously legal contract?

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 10, 2014

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

OK so I actually have a DBA to work with for the first time in my career.

Uh what do I do besides "dear data wizard in your tower, please add columns"

Is it that easy?

my experience is that the whole point of DBAs is to make these types of things as onerous as possible but ymmv I guess

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

my experience is that the whole point of DBAs is to make these types of things as onerous as possible but ymmv I guess

So far it's turned out into "just do it in dev and assign me a ticket to do my magic to push it up into QA"

... So why not just have the DBA do it in the first place?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

this place wants to interview me next week, but they make jr. developer hires work tier 4 support for a year before sticking them on the development team. is that something normal?

they have a 4.2 on glassdoor :eyepop:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

this place wants to interview me next week, but they make jr. developer hires work tier 4 support for a year before sticking them on the development team. is that something normal?

Well I guess that'd depend on what tier 4 support consists of, and whether you're allowed to do development during downtimes.

I.e. if you work there a year then leave (or get fired/downsized), will you be able to say you gained any development experience, or that you just got late on your learning (or forgot about stuff?). However working support can be a great way to learn to know the product, and support 4 could involve patching code related to customer issues.

The idea there would be that:
  1. you work the job that's on the label, and don't get stuck in the infinite spiral of "yes we want to give you a dev job but you're so good in support we're making you change careers"
  2. you're actually going to gain in skill while you're there and not going to handicap yourself for your next job search after them
  3. you get paid enough for it not to matter
If they purely make you do support and nothing else, they're looking for support people with technical experience, not actual developers. You can probably skip them without regret.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

this isn't exactly a policy at my job but it kinda just happens. makes sense to spend time in support to learn your way around the code, plus somebody has to do it so might as well make the new guy do it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Well I guess that'd depend on what tier 4 support consists of, and whether you're allowed to do development during downtimes.

I.e. if you work there a year then leave (or get fired/downsized), will you be able to say you gained any development experience, or that you just got late on your learning (or forgot about stuff?). However working support can be a great way to learn to know the product, and support 4 could involve patching code related to customer issues.

The idea there would be that:
  1. you work the job that's on the label, and don't get stuck in the infinite spiral of "yes we want to give you a dev job but you're so good in support we're making you change careers"
  2. you're actually going to gain in skill while you're there and not going to handicap yourself for your next job search after them
  3. you get paid enough for it not to matter
If they purely make you do support and nothing else, they're looking for support people with technical experience, not actual developers. You can probably skip them without regret.

the way the position was explained to me by them was that the end result would be as a developer on the technical support team but I also haven't interviewed there yet.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

developer on the technical support team

bolded the only part that matters, gently caress em

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

depends on the nature of the company. as a developer I have contacted device manufacturers and talked to programmers for "tech support"

they usually have fancier titles though

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

depends on the nature of the company. as a developer I have contacted device manufacturers and talked to programmers for "tech support"

they usually have fancier titles though

do you know if they were on the tech support team though, or did the company just have their engineers also do tech support

the place i interned, the tech support hotline rang on all five of the programmers' phones.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

ibm used to do this for lotus support for all of their devs and as a customer it was kick rear end because if you had a really lovely problem you got to actually talk to the developer who wrote the software/
now if your customers are non-technical women and children then that would suck hardcore.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would say that's different from things like technical sales support where you might be discussing things like system integration. for those you want to be on the call cause if you aren't sales will sell them something you haven't written yet.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

ibm used to do this for lotus support for all of their devs and as a customer it was kick rear end because if you had a really lovely problem you got to actually talk to the developer who wrote the software/
now if your customers are non-technical women and children then that would suck hardcore.

didn't Microsoft do that too for Windows developers?

it was a shock to read that ms blog and learn windows xp error reports actually went somewhere other than /dev/null

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Luigi Thirty posted:

didn't Microsoft do that too for Windows developers?

it was a shock to read that ms blog and learn windows xp error reports actually went somewhere other than /dev/null

i don't think windows xp had /dev/null, op

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fart simpson posted:

i don't think windows xp had /dev/null, op

it's called NUL and has been there since DOS

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yes, i know

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

sounds like someone got CON/CONned

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

As a Millennial I posted:

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

so my choices are continue making 9 dollars an hour doing retail or GIMP MY CAREER FOREVER by doing tech support poo poo for 50k

• Locked thread