Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

Yeah but my line of pro torture reasoning has nothing to do with getting information from people.

Again, problem isn't (just) that we didn't get any information from it, it's that we just flat out tortured the wrong people. 26 false positives out of 119 is a pretty damned spotty record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Deathy McDeath posted:

It's Columbia. We like to protest stuff v:shobon:v

"We"

Look who just made themselves a them.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sexual Lorax posted:

I get that no one's going to prison for this, and I disappoint myself by starting with that assumption. The big question I have is why won't anyone go to prison? It seems like a fairly short path from "We don't do these things, because [long list of reasons from bad intel to inviting retaliation on US POWs]" to "When we catch someone doing these things, we punish them to discourage others from doing them."
Because no one, especially the people in government who would have to approve it, really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes when you start holding elected officials criminally accountable for things done in the name of national security that everyone else more or less went along with.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Pretty good video response I found on the topic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5ZRE26YWM

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Best Friends posted:

Here is one of the greatest interrogators of all time, maybe the best:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns_Scharff

Note the total lack of actual torture.

I went on a random ski trip last year and one of the dudes on it turned out to be a former Army interrogator. He kept calling the CIA folks a loving joke and that all he did was just talk to the dudes. Just find out connections between people and ask circle questions like "Oh, you know A?" and "We know you know B, does B know A?" "You talked about A before does he know B" and so on.

It got real funny when we all went out drinking and he and started doing it to the girl that couldn't tell the truth to save her life and couldn't keep the lies straight.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

Pretty good video response I found on the topic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5ZRE26YWM

Pretty good video depiction of where I'm at right now https://vine.co/v/OZ1MTVQ3i1m

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sexual Lorax posted:

Pretty good video depiction of where I'm at right now https://vine.co/v/OZ1MTVQ3i1m

agreed, getting fall over in the street drunk is a great way to celebrate our nation's accomplishments such as this one today

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Berkley literally has a statue dedicated to protestors to honor their town's heritage or some poo poo.

Hey, isn't Berkeley the law school who gave Bush's torture-approver John Yoo a professorship?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hey, isn't Berkeley the law school who gave Bush's torture-approver John Yoo a professorship?

I don't know. The only things I give a poo poo about in Berkeley are the restaurant scene and CAL's engineering department. Everything else about it is :lol:tastic.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They might not be torturing anymore but god help you if you're wandering around Waziristan and hear a single engine aircraft.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes they did

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Equine Don posted:

They might not be torturing anymore but god help you if you're wandering around Waziristan and hear a single engine aircraft.

Or southern Somalia, or western Yemen, or...

Waroduce posted:

Yes they did

This stuff you're doing is cruel, degrading, and inhumane...but it's not torture, so knock yourselves out!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Good old John "Can the President order someone's eyeball cut out in the name of National Security?" Yoo.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Dead Reckoning posted:

Good old John "Can the President order someone's eyeball cut out in the name of National Security?" Yoo.

If you want to read something really terrifying check out Jeh Johnson's reasoning for why sending a drone to off a US citizen is totally legit, yo,

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

If you want to read something really terrifying check out Jeh Johnson's reasoning for why sending a drone to off a US citizen is totally legit, yo,

If we would do it to the enemy its only fair if we would do it to our own people as well.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, "it depends on why the President needs to crush an innocent child's testicles" Yoo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not droning American citizens is the ultimate expression of privilege and American exceptionalism.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know. The only things I give a poo poo about in Berkeley are the restaurant scene and CAL's engineering department. Everything else about it is :lol:tastic.

Yeah Berkeley has a :krad: STEM department that does lots of cool poo poo with robots.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As a transrobot I'm outraged and literally shaking at the idea of my people being used as test subjects or objects of amusement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Quoting this because it was lost in the torture chat and needs to be watched repeatedly.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Of course the commenters are all upset no one is taking the couple cupfuls of chlorine powder thrown in a staircase chlorine gas terrorist attack seriously.

Dulce et decorum est pro yiffing mori.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gooble Gobble posted:

Of course the commenters are all upset no one is taking the couple cupfuls of chlorine powder thrown in a staircase chlorine gas terrorist attack seriously.

Dulce et decorum est pro yiffing mori.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Handsome Ralph posted:

We also had this guy and his team help pin down al-Zarqawi's location in Iraq as well.

All without using torture.

The human being that wrote that book is persona non grata in the community, completely full of poo poo even by internet standards and is a narcissistic aspie who was relieved of the burden of his security clearance for being less stable than me, and is a joke of "intelligence" anything.

In truth he was a Kool aid drinker USAF OSI type that got lucked into augmenting the big boys on the "other" side of our nations special forces in Iraq for one 4 to 6 month tour, now he promotes himself as the brilliant insightful thin line that stood between us killing AMZ or not.

I never read this book but I spent my ball dropping years making sure that AMZ and then later his so called successors got promoted on up to Paradise, and my friends who were with me in country through it all say the book is complete and utter worthless poo poo.

I also have worked with him, and I know tons of other dudes that did too. I can say this much: He's every inch and ounce of human being you can imagine someone with his disposition and mindset would be.

I'll give him props though, he types bullshit on computers and gets paid money for it, I pay for lowtaxes benzo's with re-regs doing my bullshit writing on computers.

I guess I didn't "do" the whole post-GWOT thing right then, but then again I'm not PNG with the worlds scariest people.. So.. :shrug: Whatever happened to quiet professionals man? Wait 15-20 years, ya know? How many dudes from 6 have claimed they took the shot on OBL now? 4? I bet 3 of them have written books or consulted on one of the newer movies. It's weird to me when I see my seemingly long over and done with already fought wars being cashed in on in so many books and movies now. My guess is that this is a trend that's gonna increase as the Vietnam generation begins to truly die over the next 5-15 years.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Obama Africanus posted:

I guess I didn't "do" the whole post-GWOT thing right then, but then again I'm not PNG with the worlds scariest people.. So.. :shrug: Whatever happened to quiet professionals man? Wait 15-20 years, ya know? How many dudes from 6 have claimed they took the shot on OBL now? 4? I bet 3 of them have written books or consulted on one of the newer movies. It's weird to me when I see my seemingly long over and done with already fought wars being cashed in on in so many books and movies now. My guess is that this is a trend that's gonna increase as the Vietnam generation begins to truly die over the next 5-15 years.

Make up some bullshit, cash in on consulting for movies and getting Hannity to jerk your pud over poignant tales of heroism. Go on Rush and tell the mouth-breathing world that Obamas-a-cocksucker-buy-my-book-for-stories-of-true-glory-by-someone-who-was-there. Honor is for suckers who think that God's going to pat them on the head after they die, get paid now.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Make up some bullshit, cash in on consulting for movies and getting Hannity to jerk your pud over poignant tales of heroism. Go on Rush and tell the mouth-breathing world that Obamas-a-cocksucker-buy-my-book-for-stories-of-true-glory-by-someone-who-was-there. Honor is for suckers who think that God's going to pat them on the head after they die, get paid now.

I'll take the whole having life long friends and getting health insurance and a pittance on the side for the rest of my life over being any AFOSI officer with his/her own Wikipedia article and lawsuits with the DoD and DOJ.

Real talk.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. You mean the government LIED to me about how they caught ObamaOsama with enhanced interrogationtorture?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Best Friends posted:

The percentage of people we killed in Iraq who fall into the "collateral damage/targeting mistake category" is at least a majority, probably a very strong majority. The figure I heard from a major on the rate of cars we shot up for suspected VBIED actually being a VBIED was something like 5%.

Yeah, monday morning quarterbacking that poo poo is a loving blast.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

zombie303 posted:

:vince:

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
gently caress this torture poo poo, I wanna know how much the NSA is paying for a GPS tracking device to be installed to my car so they can tax me adequately. Maybe my poo poo state will get kickbacks for all the information they provide to the gubbamint?

Who knows maybe it wont go into law? I said that there was no way I-594 would pass but it did.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

zombie303 posted:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Obama Africanus posted:

Learn something new every day. That book being bullshit or not though, I still stand by the assertion that using torture was a loving horseshit idea.

zombie303 posted:

:thurman:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

the problem with communicating 100% through smilies is it's hard to always know what point you are making.

would you mind expanding on :vince: so I know whether to call you a loving assclown or not?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

the problem with communicating 100% through smilies is it's hard to always know what point you are making.

would you mind expanding on :vince: so I know whether to call you a loving assclown or not?

Go full DND and call him an assclown anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ActusRhesus posted:

It is an IED joke.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

roger.

It's so hard to tell sometimes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:vince: and :thurman: are reactions to fully sick burns.

For instance, how your powers of deduction as a jurist failed you in understanding an emoticon.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:vince: and :thurman: are reactions to fully sick burns.

gotcha. spending too much time in DnD so my default is now to assume idiocy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Man that could've been a great derail full of you guys slapfighting and looking stupid.

I'm going back to DND where the conversations are funny.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ActusRhesus posted:

gotcha. spending too much time in DnD so my default is now to assume idiocy.

Unlike DnD, report suspected idiocy and I'll actually look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Unlike DnD, report suspected idiocy and I'll actually look into it.

Vasudus didn't like it when I reported Cole for whatever.

• Locked thread