Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tracula posted:

I had asked this a while back but it got lost in the shuffle. I bought my Wii U at Best Buy already and I know that Target is gonna have theirs for $250 starting on the 14th. Does anyone know if Best Buy will price match after the fact? I looked through their policy online and didn't see it either way on there.

I guess it's worth a try, but I wouldn't expect anything magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
I'm super confused by what Amiibos actually DO. Can someone explain to me what I can do with, say, a Villager and a WiiFit Trainer Amiibo, if I have SSB and MK8 and Hyrule Warriors?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Skwirl posted:

No, you gave them money in exchange for a product. Why would they give you money back because of a sale at a different store at a later date?

Some places do. Hell some digital distro services do. I've seen people post on this forum that they bought a game the day before it went on sale, sent a support email and got something along the lines of "We will refund the difference but just this one time"

That said I'm pretty sure nobody will price match a competitor's sale a week after you bought the thing but your US prices are pretty cheap anyway! I got a deluxe Wii U+Mario World for $430.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CHUMPVILLE posted:

I'm super confused by what Amiibos actually DO. Can someone explain to me what I can do with, say, a Villager and a WiiFit Trainer Amiibo, if I have SSB and MK8 and Hyrule Warriors?

In Smash Bros, an amiibo becomes a "Figure Player", an AI combatant that levels up above and beyond the capabilities of the normal CPU (at high levels, they straight up just output more damage, plus you can give them equipment just like the character customization).

In Mario Kart 8, 10 different amiibo unlock racing suits for you Mii. WFT and Villager don't have racing suits, but Mario, Luigi, Peach, Fox, Kirby, Link, DK, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Samus do.

In Hyrule Warriors, and amiibo will give you an instant random drop, up to 5 per day. These can be weapons, crafting materials, or rupees. Link, Toon Link, and Zelda (potentially Sheik and Ganondorf as well) will give better quality weapons than other amiibo.

Also, we have an amiibo thread too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would love the gently caress out of a Metroid game done like an epic action adventure game where you fly around the galaxy in your ship going to dozens of planets and exploring and meeting colonists and solving their various problems and

It's Metroid Effect. That's what I want.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

CHUMPVILLE posted:

The basic idea is that they're figures that also count as more abstract DLC for a variety of games, mostly ones that the characters are relevant in.

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
Thanks guys

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

I would love the gently caress out of a Metroid game done like an epic action adventure game where you fly around the galaxy in your ship going to dozens of planets and exploring and meeting colonists and solving their various problems and

It's Metroid Effect. That's what I want.

I dunno I feel like they could use Star Fox for that. Metroid's uniqueness was usually how lonely the world felt, adding colonists and quests and stuff would ruin that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is Metroid Zero Mission available on the NA eShop? I've been poking around the eShop website but I can't find poo poo. All of this talk about Metroid made me realize I've never played ZM.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno I feel like they could use Star Fox for that. Metroid's uniqueness was usually how lonely the world felt, adding colonists and quests and stuff would ruin that.

And what if the colonists were Dinosaurs or a woman in a loincloth?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Is Metroid Zero Mission available on the NA eShop? I've been poking around the eShop website but I can't find poo poo. All of this talk about Metroid made me realize I've never played ZM.

nope, been waiting on this poo poo forever. They have it in Japan, and MAYBE Europe not sure but it's definitely in noppon and we have to wait for it. instead we get mario's loving pinball.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

nope, been waiting on this poo poo forever. They have it in Japan, and MAYBE Europe not sure but it's definitely in noppon and we have to wait for it. instead we get mario's loving pinball.

wait wait wait.

There was a Mario Pinball game? or are you talking about the NES classic Pinball, which had a Mario minigame.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

senae posted:

wait wait wait.

There was a Mario Pinball game? or are you talking about the NES classic Pinball, which had a Mario minigame.

No, there was a Mario Pinball Land on GBA. There's a good reason you haven't heard of it.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Echophonic posted:

And what if the colonists were Dinosaurs or a woman in a loincloth?

This is a Great Idea, can't see any reason for this to fail.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think zero suit Krystal brings something unique and special to the Star Fox franchise.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Furries everywhere already have their dicks in their hands at the thought of a Zero Suit Krystal.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm sure it's already a thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah someone posted it in YCS ages ago, there was already a full zero suit Krystal metroidvania adult game at that time. :wtc:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, I didn't like Metroid Super/Fusion/Prime for the bits where you're stuck on GF ships talking to marines or at the computer terminal having Adam explain the next portion of the level to you. I liked it for the solitary quiet, ominous music, well-designed areas/item usage and the feeling of accomplishment when you finally power-bomb that wall that's blocked you for 4 hours.

Metroid Prime was so amazingly good. Metroid Prime 4 in HD or a properly funded 2D adventure is all I want, especially if they hew to the MP1/Super end of the spectrum vs the MP3/Fusion end. I don't hate Kirby and Yoshi, but it isn't fair that we're getting more games of those 2 and none with Samus.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Electromax posted:

Metroid Prime was so amazingly good. Metroid Prime 4 in HD or a properly funded 2D adventure is all I want, especially if they hew to the MP1/Super end of the spectrum vs the MP3/Fusion end. I don't hate Kirby and Yoshi, but it isn't fair that we're getting more games of those 2 and none with Samus.

The reason is that Metroid sells very poorly to begin with and it's coming off of Other M which was a legit bomb. :ssh:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I paid fifty loving dollars for the non-special edition of Metroid Prime Trilogy, a five-year-old Wii game, so I could replay Metroid Prime. It was worth it. Metroid Prime is the greatest.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Metroid Prime is pretty close to being a perfect video game really

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Samus Amiibo unlocks Metroid Prime for new 3DS

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even though I have the metal case trilogy thing I kept my Gamecube Prime 1 and 2 disks. Prime 1 because it's the first printing where you can get the space jump like two seconds after you land, and Prime 2 because it has like the slickest title screen/menus/etc./presentation from any Nintendo game and none of that is on the Trilogy disk.

I now Other M was a high tier embarrassment, and it's a terrible game, but man I hope they make a new one. Though at the same time, remember a StarFox/Metroid crossover game was actually a real thing they briefly considered, so maybe it's for the better if they don't.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I would totally play a Metroid/Kirby crossover. Metroid/Star Fox, not so much.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Metroid Prime is pretty close to being a perfect video game really

Please don't send the Nintendo Police after me, but I had Prime for the Gamecube and thought it was...okay. At best. I don't think I even finished it. Am I broken on the inside?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Flint_Paper posted:

Please don't send the Nintendo Police after me, but I had Prime for the Gamecube and thought it was...okay. At best. I don't think I even finished it. Am I broken on the inside?

You stupid mother fucker. Please seek therapy and don't post again until you get your poo poo worked out.

Really though, when Prime first came out it was an absolute marvel and as close to a perfect game as you can get on just about all fronts. God dammit now I really want to play it again.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Louisgod posted:

You stupid mother fucker. Please seek therapy and don't post again until you get your poo poo worked out.

Really though, when Prime first came out it was an absolute marvel and as close to a perfect game as you can get on just about all fronts. God dammit now I really want to play it again.

Louisgod, please help me. I'm trying to remember something. A few years ago there was a stickied thread where the Games mods would post what games they were currently playing. Were you the mod posting their Wii Fit progress chart?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

And if so, was Wii Fit helpful to you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

There are enough Metroid/Kirby cameos that some fans are convinced that they are completely within the same canon already. Off the top of my head in Kirby Superstar you straight up can get the Screw Attack as one of the weapons, and when you use the stone ability you sometimes turn into a statue of Samus. In Kirby' Dreamland 3 there's a Metroid level where Samus tasks you with helping her kill Metroids with the ice power up. She's even standing by the level goal when you win. If you beat the level in under three minutes takes her helmet off. :3:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Flint_Paper posted:

It has problems for sure. Platforming in first person is rarely not annoying, there's a lot of backtracking, the last "quest" before the end of the game sends you to every corner of the map looking for the twelve magical whatsits, extending the length of the game in a way that's kinda cheap-feeling, and after the game's halfway point lots of rooms have mandatory, meaning unskippable, fights with really agile enemies just to unlock the doors. And you have to do these fights every time you enter the room.

Still in my top 3 fave games though

Sade fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 10, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The only flaw with Prime is that there are those frozen shriekbats that only appear once in one area and kamikaze you on sight, so if you don't look for them and scan them ahead of time you can't 100% the logbook. Do they respawn in Prime Trilogy? That would be a good thing to fix.

Also it would be nice if there was an option for Hard Mode to just make enemies do more damage, instead of also making everything an annoying bullet sponge.

But yea aside from that it's perfect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

unimportantguy posted:

Nah man, you gotta group the failing franchises together. Metroid x F-Zero

Does anyone else find it weird that Nintendo has two series that star sci-fi bounty hunters that never seem to do any bounty hunting?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

unimportantguy posted:

I'd be so down for a series of Nintendo crossovers. I'm not talking Smash Bros or Mario Kart, but crossover adventure games where the characters from the different universes would have to team up and so would the villains. Metoid and Kirby are a good example because they are just so tonally different, and plus you could have Kirby sucking up Metroid enemies and gaining their powers, and you could have Ridley being totally confused and frustrated by King Dedede not being as ruthless as him but being forced to team up with him for whatever reason.

And then have like. Wario end up in Hyrule and he has to team up with Link to stop Ganon and rescue Zelda (but all Wario is after is the prize rupees).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've cooled a bit on Prime 1 after subsequent playthroughs. Even on normal some enemies have way too much loving health which makes backtracking a pain, and you do have to backtrack a lot especially near the end when they send you on a keyhunt that I'm also not super fond of. The same goes for bosses - the patterns aren't very advanced so they just take way too long and become very repetitious. (Ed: yeah I forgot about mandatory fights when backtracking, that loving sucks too)

I also wish there was some form of new game+ because while scanning stuff is really cool the first time it's kind of a hassle when replaying, as it is occasionally mandatory.

It's still the best Prime game overall, but 2 has better art design and 3 has better pacing and more variety despite being more linear.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 10, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Macaluso posted:

I'd be so down for a series of Nintendo crossovers. I'm not talking Smash Bros or Mario Kart, but crossover adventure games where the characters from the different universes would have to team up and so would the villains. Metoid and Kirby are a good example because they are just so tonally different, and plus you could have Kirby sucking up Metroid enemies and gaining their powers, and you could have Ridley being totally confused and frustrated by King Dedede not being as ruthless as him but being forced to team up with him for whatever reason.

And then have like. Wario end up in Hyrule and he has to team up with Link to stop Ganon and rescue Zelda (but all Wario is after is the prize rupees).

They'd have to come up with some sort of Disney Infinity/Skylanders thing to really take advantage of it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sade posted:

It has problems for sure. The platforming is annoying, there's a lot of backtracking, the last "quest" before the end of the game sends you to every corner of the map looking for the twelve magical whatsits, extending the length of the game in a way that's kinda cheap-feeling, and after the game's halfway point lots of rooms have mandatory, meaning unskippable, fights with really agile enemies just to unlock the doors. And you have to do these fights every time you enter the room.

Still in my top 3 fave games though

They actually re-balanced and fixed a lot of these issues (though unfortunately they fixed a lot of cool sequence breaks also) over the course of the game's releases. There were a few different revisions of the game, then the European release had some more changes, and those changes were used as the bases for the US greatest hits version and the trilogy release. Those ice shriek bats respawn and are in a couple of other appropriate ice areas so you can't permanently miss them, The backtracking and platforming was pretty cool to me. The ghost enemies are still there but their vitality is pretty low. I think it was the first first person game I ever played where I had zero platforming issues. The character by default looks slightly down at just the right angle when you jump, you never take fall damage, and the space jump gives you some good air time so it ended up being a pretty smooth experience.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

Louisgod, please help me. I'm trying to remember something. A few years ago there was a stickied thread where the Games mods would post what games they were currently playing. Were you the mod posting their Wii Fit progress chart?

Yep, I used it every other day to weigh myself so it could graph my progress which was neat to see.

http://i.imgur.com/JF6Ubta.jpg

protip: please work out

e: and no, Wii Fit itself was useless as a fitness tool. Instead, ride your bike and go to the gym.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Yep, I used it every other day to weigh myself so it could graph my progress which was neat to see.

http://i.imgur.com/JF6Ubta.jpg

protip: please work out

Cool, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

It's still the best Prime game overall, but 2 has better art design and 3 has better pacing and more variety despite being more linear.

2 really does have great art design, I think it captures the kinda weird organic feel of Super Metroid's environments better than Prime. And the music is really good. That remix of a Super Metroid tune that plays underwater (Torvus Bog?) is excellent.

• Locked thread