Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

I've found that a half a sticker from a Jimmy John's sub will fit nicely over a registration sticker without looking too out of place. Park with your rear end end over my driveway? Enjoy some nice probable cause.

Come on, I'm sure NAMBLA has some bumper stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If you buy NAMBLA stickers, you're on a watch list.
If you steal NAMBLA stickers, you've got to a) find a loud-and-proud NAMBLA member to steal them from and then b) risk getting caught by a person who certainly has a room in his house unironically named "The Dungeon".

In either case, you then get to drive around with a stack of NAMBLA stickers in your car. Out of sight, sure, until a passenger gets bored/curious, or a cop decides to search your car, or you have a minor-to-moderate crash and the glove compartment pops open, spilling your "I love little boys in an entirely inappropriate way" stickers all over the broken glass and bent metal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's why a stack of "I :love: sheep" magnets is probably a better plan. If asked, you are a member of a sheepherders association and launch into a longwinded very earnest explanation of what goes on at the meetings, the latest sheepherding techniques, etc. If the sudden avalanche of words from some harmless weirdo doesn't get the cop to backpedal and give you a verbal warning just to escape your :words: I don't know what will.

Fun fact: I actually did this once, but to explain the extremely beaten condition of my comanche to a very uninterested Auburn police officer. She said that was quite alright, no need to explain further, and gave me a verbal warning instead of a failure to inspect ticket, then retreated to her cruiser with all due haste. Probably still remembers me as "that weirdo with the old truck who wouldn't stop talking about jeeps."

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 9, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anything ruin a morning faster than rear end in a top hat drivers? And not just the ignorant ones, those stupid pricks that deliberately drive like a piece of poo poo just because they can.

I'm trying to turn left off a side street, got my blinker on, and this random dumb motherfucker looks right at me and blocks me. He could have pulled forward to make me a gap, or stopped further back to leave me a hole. But nope he stops right in front of me and just sits there. I tap the horn and nothing. Eventually his light turns green and the lane clears and it's over.

I don't know who pissed in his cheerios this morning but I hope his day ends in a goddamn fireball.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Guy in front of me this morning must have been feeling like the biggest fuckin' good samaritan in the world today. Cars in the oncoming two-lane road need to take a left turn? Sure, he'd love to stop and wave them through!!

This happened like six times.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The Midniter posted:

Guy in front of me this morning must have been feeling like the biggest fuckin' good samaritan in the world today. Cars in the oncoming two-lane road need to take a left turn? Sure, he'd love to stop and wave them through!!

This happened like six times.

Ambrose Bierce posted:

Homicide - n. The slaying of one human being by another. There are four kinds of homocide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy, but it makes no great difference to the person slain whether he fell by one kind or another — the classification is for advantage of the lawyers.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Was on the highway, there was a lot of traffic. 25 MPH in the lane that wasn't dead stopped. I leave a good 2 car gap in front of me because, hell, where am I going to go? And the guy behind me is tailgating me super hard and lays on the horn.

Hey guy, see those lanes to your right? Literally full stop. See that river of cars in front of you? All traveling the same slow-rear end speed. Calm yourself down; you're going as fast as you're going to go.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

totalnewbie posted:

Was on the highway, there was a lot of traffic. 25 MPH in the lane that wasn't dead stopped. I leave a good 2 car gap in front of me because, hell, where am I going to go? And the guy behind me is tailgating me super hard and lays on the horn.

Hey guy, see those lanes to your right? Literally full stop. See that river of cars in front of you? All traveling the same slow-rear end speed. Calm yourself down; you're going as fast as you're going to go.

I just honk musically in response. It's fun! And if it's on the highway you're not bothering anyone.

Usually shave-and-a-haircut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I just honk musically in response. It's fun! And if it's on the highway you're not bothering anyone.

Usually shave-and-a-haircut.

Forza taught me that most car horns play a tone in the key of F. So you can even harmonize with other drivers!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wonder if I can get a rearward-facing airhorn to compliment my forward facing one. I mean, my siren supports a second horn!

It also has an audio input setting...

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Fun fact: I actually did this once, but to explain the extremely beaten condition of my comanche to a very uninterested Auburn police officer. She said that was quite alright, no need to explain further, and gave me a verbal warning instead of a failure to inspect ticket, then retreated to her cruiser with all due haste. Probably still remembers me as "that weirdo with the old truck who wouldn't stop talking about jeeps."

I thought you only used your powers for good!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

I wonder if I can get a rearward-facing airhorn to compliment my forward facing one. I mean, my siren supports a second horn!

It also has an audio input setting...

Some rear end in a top hat ambulance driver laid on the loving horn today when he saw I was driving with the top down. I saw the loving poo poo eating grin on his face staring at me the whole loving time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was he trying to get anywhere? I mean, whenever I go code 3 I tend to have a poo poo-eating grin, but the lights would be a giveaway.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I threw an empty bottle of water at a woman reading during stop and go Austin morning traffic. Had the book right up on her steering wheel. I have no regrets.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Only goons would advocate vandalism and throwing things at people then get mad at someone for speeding or passing on a DY.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jaegerx posted:

I threw an empty bottle of water at a woman reading during stop and go Austin morning traffic. Had the book right up on her steering wheel. I have no regrets.

Was behind someone no I-10 this morning who was toodling along in the far left lane (non-carpool) at exactly the same speed as the vehicle to the right, no matter what speed that was. At the same time kept drifting halfway into the carpool lane and then jerking back. For miles and miles. When traffic eased up as I got near the office I moved into the right lane to go past, and it was a middle aged woman with a phone in her left hand, resting on the steering wheel, and a bunch of papers in her right hand, which she was reading. WTF. I honked a few times and she didn't even loving notice. Sometimes I'd truly love to be a cop, because she would have spent so much time on the side of the road getting chewed out (and getting tickets).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Was he trying to get anywhere? I mean, whenever I go code 3 I tend to have a poo poo-eating grin, but the lights would be a giveaway.

Nope, he had clear oncoming (we were going opposite directions) and we were all halfway on the shoulder in the other lane.

My left ear is still ringing.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Had a huge knob in a panel van turn right from the middle lane in front of me today without warning. Just a sudden slam on the brakes and hard right. Of course, he can't go in the shopping center literally just past the intersection and turn left out of there, he needs to turn right RIGHT loving NOW.

Crude phone illustration: (He's red, I'm yellow)

My bus weighs nearly 2 tons and has no power brakes. Almost T-Boned the fucker, managed to swerve into the middle lane at the last minute. I like my bus, yet people and fire keep trying to destroy it on me :smith:

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Last week I was going to the airport here in Denver in full speed traffic and got passed by a Lexus SUV like I was stopped. The woman driving was applying mascara in here rear fire with all her interior lights on.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I sometimes wonder if the solution to people not paying attention and doing other poo poo while driving is to make driving more difficult and more involved rather than easier. Its much easier to use your phone or apply makeup if you are driving an automatic with lane assist and brake assist and all the other various electronic wizardry you have now. Trying to do those things in a manual without any such assists is drat near impossible unless you are cruising on a motorway.

Or would it just lead to people trying to do those things anyway and just stalling out/crashing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think it makes much difference - lots of idiots text while driving manuals too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nobody will vote in legislature that requires cars be "more difficult" to drive. As long as it's not illegal to do so, car companies will sell the cars that people want to buy. If someone tried to sell something that was "difficult" they'd lose their shirts because everyone would buy from literally anyone else.

poo poo, look how contentious it is to suggest that licensing requirements get more strict, and that we re-test people maybe more often than never.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Ludicro posted:

I sometimes wonder if the solution to people not paying attention and doing other poo poo while driving is to make driving more difficult and more involved rather than easier. Its much easier to use your phone or apply makeup if you are driving an automatic with lane assist and brake assist and all the other various electronic wizardry you have now. Trying to do those things in a manual without any such assists is drat near impossible unless you are cruising on a motorway.

Or would it just lead to people trying to do those things anyway and just stalling out/crashing?

The only real way to teach people not to be retarded is for them to get into a fully avoidable accident because they were doing dumb poo poo. Most people i know who text/etc while driving haven't seen any consequences from it so they'll keep doing it.

I like the Finnish method for safe roads: make the driving test extremely comprehensive and challenging.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I came outside to this earlier:

Someone had parked more than insanely close to my car. The bolts holding their license plate on were almost touching my bumper.

This is what pisses me off the most:

I think they might have had room to not park like a total dick.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 10, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Eh just a little drunk bump.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Raluek posted:

Nobody will vote in legislature that requires cars be "more difficult" to drive. As long as it's not illegal to do so, car companies will sell the cars that people want to buy. If someone tried to sell something that was "difficult" they'd lose their shirts because everyone would buy from literally anyone else.

poo poo, look how contentious it is to suggest that licensing requirements get more strict, and that we re-test people maybe more often than never.

I was making small talk at a party with a friend of a friend and it turned out he worked research on cell phone ui focused on safety and usability. They made some beta stuff that would lock down phones into a car-mode while driving only for the driver and they had car manufacturers, cell providers, and cellphone makers very interested.

Until those companies ran focus groups and found that people would change providers, buy new phones, and even buy a new car to avoid it because people are horrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It makes far more sense to offer cars that are self driving instead of artificially making them more difficult. We're already almost there in terms of having technology that can do it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I like the idea of adventure game style cars. Like, if you want to put on your blinker and turn left you have to solve a clever riddle.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I came outside to this earlier:

Someone had parked more than insanely close to my car. The bolts holding their license plate on were almost touching my bumper.

This is what pisses me off the most:

I think they might have had room to not park like a total dick.

The original bumper on my Focus had at least four sets of indentations from license plate screws after someone bumped into me. I used to work at Walgreens and Wal-Mart as a field tech for FujiFilm, I blame the 60-90 demographic that makes up the core of Walgreens shoppers during the middle of the day.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xzzy posted:

It makes far more sense to offer cars that are self driving instead of artificially making them more difficult. We're already almost there in terms of having technology that can do it.

Especially when you consider how many people are not functionally able enough to move that little stick on the left side of their steering column up and down. While I really wish licensing requirements were more stringent, making driving more difficult in general will just add to the list of things people ignore while guiding their 4-wheeled missile down the road.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

That's what I was thinking, in a decade all these people who do that kind of garbage will have self driving cars and won't be a problem. The problem will be our highways are 4 lanes packed full of cars doing exactly 55mph and suddenly I'll be the rear end in a top hat putting everyone in danger. At least the robots will have finally mastered zipper merging.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

That's what I was thinking, in a decade all these people who do that kind of garbage will have self driving cars and won't be a problem. The problem will be our highways are 4 lanes packed full of cars doing exactly 55mph and suddenly I'll be the rear end in a top hat putting everyone in danger. At least the robots will have finally mastered zipper merging.

I think it will take well over a decade to clear the way in the United States for self-driving cars to be commercially available. I understand we have some precursor technologies, but autonomous hands-off operation is a long way away both technologically and legally. New tech moves slowly here. We don't have chip-and-pin yet, it's been like 10 years since that's been adopted across the rest of the developed world.

To be clear, I am a huge fan of self-driving cars.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 10, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand there have been a number of videos of dumbshits climbing into the passenger seat while their fancy new car is using cruise control, collision avoidance, and lane detection to self-drive at highway speeds. So we could be a lot closer than you think.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

On the other hand there have been a number of videos of dumbshits climbing into the passenger seat while their fancy new car is using cruise control, collision avoidance, and lane detection to self-drive at highway speeds. So we could be a lot closer than you think.

Yes, and the difference between that and legal self-driving cars (even just on major highways) is probably 20+ years of legislation and testing to prove long term safety and reliability.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
When I visited West Palm Beach I noticed that people drive 60-65 in the multi lane city 40 MPH. Once in a while one will blow a light. The combined speed of impact generates a lot of fatalities on the nightly news there. Some cause vehicles to be launched into nearby buildings.

I saw a truck on the roof of a sub shop from such an impact.

ExecuDork posted:

If you buy NAMBLA stickers, you're on a watch list.
If you steal NAMBLA stickers, you've got to a) find a loud-and-proud NAMBLA member to steal them from and then b) risk getting caught by a person who certainly has a room in his house unironically named "The Dungeon".

In either case, you then get to drive around with a stack of NAMBLA stickers in your car. Out of sight, sure, until a passenger gets bored/curious, or a cop decides to search your car, or you have a minor-to-moderate crash and the glove compartment pops open, spilling your "I love little boys in an entirely inappropriate way" stickers all over the broken glass and bent metal.

Print some, using regular paper label material. It sucks to get off and looks like poo poo.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

xergm posted:

Especially when you consider how many people are not functionally able enough to move that little stick on the left side of their steering column up and down. While I really wish licensing requirements were more stringent, making driving more difficult in general will just add to the list of things people ignore while guiding their 4-wheeled missile down the road.

This is an accurate statement of how things work in some cities. In Toledo, you can safely bet 50% of the cars on the road have no insurance, old tires, zero brakes and a driver glued to the cell phone. It would cost more to maintain those cars then they are worth. It is a sad state to be in, people have to get to work somehow. The public transportation is pretty bad around here.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I used a poor choice of words, I should have said more involving as opposed to more difficult. Ultimately I can see where the replies are coming from and they're bang on the money really. Perhaps as someone who enjoys driving, has a hot hatch and does a lot of rural driving as opposed to a commuter who has to endure endless stop start congestion in cities perhaps I just can't understand the mentality.

It seems to me as an outsider that the US has a very slack driving education system. I have tried to google how it actually works along with what is expected of a learner, but all the results are basically pages saying how easy the US one is and how hard the UK one is in comparison. If an American would explain what a typical learning process is like I'd be grateful.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

This is an accurate statement of how things work in some cities. In Toledo, you can safely bet 50% of the cars on the road have no insurance, old tires, zero brakes and a driver glued to the cell phone. It would cost more to maintain those cars then they are worth. It is a sad state to be in, people have to get to work somehow. The public transportation is pretty bad around here.

I see this thrown about a lot, how is this legal? In the UK and most of Europe there is some form of annual inspection (MOTs in the UK) to ensure your car is safe and roadworthy. To fail one of these basically renders your vehicle illegal to drive on public roads until the issues are rectified. I tried googling again, but it seems the US doesn't seem to have anything like this apart from emissions. This can't be right surely?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ludicro posted:

I see this thrown about a lot, how is this legal? In the UK and most of Europe there is some form of annual inspection (MOTs in the UK) to ensure your car is safe and roadworthy. To fail one of these basically renders your vehicle illegal to drive on public roads until the issues are rectified. I tried googling again, but it seems the US doesn't seem to have anything like this apart from emissions. This can't be right surely?

I think it varies by state, and we do have emissions inspections every 2 years in Maryland, but we only have to have the car inspected when we go to sell it, or if you move here from out of state car and need to reregister it for Maryland. But to answer your question of how it's legal., it's legal because of freedom :911:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

On both counts, laws vary widely from state to state, sometimes county to county.

Where I learned to drive, the minimum requirements were:
- Be 15
- Pass an anti-drug education course at school
- Pass a written exam detailing basic road rules and signs
- Receive learner's permit
- Take driving course or drive at least 40 hours with a licensed driver in the passenger's seat
- Take basic driving exam (bring vehicle up to 25mph and stop, reverse in a straight line, parallel park, drive a few blocks on public roads)
- Receive driver's license

In some states, cars have to pass yearly safety inspections. Where I used to live, cars just had to pass a basic emissions inspection (no check engine light, or if it was not an OBDII vehicle, exhaust sniffer test) once per year, if the car was greater than 3 and less than 25 years old. A few counties over, there were no inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PhoenixWing posted:

Had a huge knob in a panel van turn right from the middle lane in front of me today without warning. Just a sudden slam on the brakes and hard right. Of course, he can't go in the shopping center literally just past the intersection and turn left out of there, he needs to turn right RIGHT loving NOW.

Crude phone illustration: (He's red, I'm yellow)

My bus weighs nearly 2 tons and has no power brakes. Almost T-Boned the fucker, managed to swerve into the middle lane at the last minute. I like my bus, yet people and fire keep trying to destroy it on me :smith:
What kind of bus do you drive that only weights 4,000lbs? A typical full size school bus is 30,000GVWR, I don't know about city or other buses but I fell safe in assuming your bus weighs more than 2 tons.

Michael Scott posted:

I think it will take well over a decade to clear the way in the United States for self-driving cars to be commercially available. I understand we have some precursor technologies, but autonomous hands-off operation is a long way away both technologically and legally. New tech moves slowly here. We don't have chip-and-pin yet, it's been like 10 years since that's been adopted across the rest of the developed world.

To be clear, I am a huge fan of self-driving cars.
California is already allowing self-driving cars, if they prove successful I bet that could jump start the program. I think Google is a little crazy with their car that lacks standard controls, I just think they should be there as a backup. I cant wait for the day I can sleep while my car drives me in to work.
This is really a potential de-rail, but is chip and pin really that much more secure than a magnetic stripe? I haven't read enough about, but it seems like all you need is a chip reader and a way to see the pin and it would just a secure as a magnetic stripe.

xzzy posted:

Why do these cars no use a weight sensor to say "get back in the loving driver seat"??