Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

photomikey posted:

Plastic milk crate. The box will get demolished.

Definitely this, in a box.
Unless it's just a one or a few records, in which case, get a 12x14x3 or similar box, and flatten it (e: this will basically create a corrugated cardboard envelope like the below poster mentioned). Tell them it's media mail (cheaper) and vinyl records (they'll stamp "fragile" on it).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

What's the best way to ship some records? Suggestions for container, I mean. The only one I found that would work is a UPS large box, but I wonder if there's something smaller/more suitable.

Whenever I've ordered records they come in special cardboard LP boxes/sleeves. It's basically a corrugated cardboard envelope.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

alnilam posted:

Definitely this, in a box.
Unless it's just a one or a few records, in which case, get a 12x14x3 or similar box, and flatten it (e: this will basically create a corrugated cardboard envelope like the below poster mentioned). Tell them it's media mail (cheaper) and vinyl records (they'll stamp "fragile" on it).

I can confirm this, got mine splattered because they didn't even bother to stamp "fragile" on it, and we all know that receiving a damaged or "splattered" package as in my case isn't good. Couriers have tons of packages to deliver in a day so don't expect your package to be treated as a piece of gold.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Let's say you find a not insubstantial amount of money in your office building and take the appropriate action and send out a global email letting everyone know you found some cash and to see you to claim it. When does that money become "yours", finders keepers and all?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Let's say you find a not insubstantial amount of money in your office building and take the appropriate action and send out a global email letting everyone know you found some cash and to see you to claim it. When does that money become "yours", finders keepers and all?

Not sure if you're asking from a legal or moral perspective...

From a moral perspective, I'd personally wait a week after the first email, send a follow-up email, wait another week and if no one had claimed it after the second week, keep it.

Two weeks gives someone time to respond even if they're on a week vacation.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Scrapez posted:

Not sure if you're asking from a legal or moral perspective...

From a moral perspective, I'd personally wait a week after the first email, send a follow-up email, wait another week and if no one had claimed it after the second week, keep it.

Two weeks gives someone time to respond even if they're on a week vacation.

Good advice, thank you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just curious, is there anything identifying about the money that you can ask a claimant to describe?
If not, where do you work? :twisted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manslaughter posted:

Is there a way to make Twitch not suck up all your bandwidth when watching a previous recording that doesn't involve downloading Netlimiter?

What's your connection speed like? Maybe you just have a slow connection and Twitch is attempting to provide their highest quality format to you since it's no longer a live stream.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

alnilam posted:

Just curious, is there anything identifying about the money that you can ask a claimant to describe?
If not, where do you work? :twisted:

The generally accepted standard is "amount".

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

KnifeWrench posted:

This. And my wife found it, and she ended up turning it over to HR (which isn't a call I would have advised) and they're going to lock it up for a few days to see if anyone claims it. If not, it's up to management.. which means she'll probably never see it again. We'll see. It would be super nice if she ended up getting to keep it though. I feel for whoever lost it, but they don't seem to be freaking out yet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KnifeWrench posted:

Denomination is also required. $50 is $50 but 5000 pennies is memorable.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Location is another key... a person who works on the loading dock wouldn't lose $50 in the graphics department.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Location is another key... a person who works on the loading dock wouldn't lose $50 in the graphics department.

Nice classism, bro.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Who determines which party is liable in an auto collision? I had my first ever car crash last night and both the sheriff's deputy at the scene and my insurance claim handler expressed that they believed it was not my fault at all. Of course, the other driver is telling a different story from what I experienced, although she must be pretty stupid because she's still basically admitting fault by what she says she did before the accident, plus the damage to our vehicles doesn't support her story. Do the insurance companies have to reach a consensus? Obviously her insurance won't want to pay out but it was clearly her fault. I'm not sure whether she was issued a citation.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

Who determines which party is liable in an auto collision? I had my first ever car crash last night and both the sheriff's deputy at the scene and my insurance claim handler expressed that they believed it was not my fault at all. Of course, the other driver is telling a different story from what I experienced, although she must be pretty stupid because she's still basically admitting fault by what she says she did before the accident. Do the insurance companies have to reach a consensus? Obviously her insurance won't want to pay out but it was clearly her fault. I'm not sure whether she was issued a citation.

In my experience, in four provinces in Canada, the person who hit the other driver is the one at fault except in extraordinary cases. It's pretty easy to determine who hit who in most cases.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hummingbirds posted:

Who determines which party is liable in an auto collision? I had my first ever car crash last night and both the sheriff's deputy at the scene and my insurance claim handler expressed that they believed it was not my fault at all. Of course, the other driver is telling a different story from what I experienced, although she must be pretty stupid because she's still basically admitting fault by what she says she did before the accident, plus the damage to our vehicles doesn't support her story. Do the insurance companies have to reach a consensus? Obviously her insurance won't want to pay out but it was clearly her fault. I'm not sure whether she was issued a citation.

Were you given any paperwork to fill out, diagramming the crash or anything? That, along with the officer's report, ought to be all the substantiation your insurance company needs. Make sure you make them settle with the opposing insurer; don't let the opposing convince you to settle up with them directly. You don't want to accidentally short yourself out if you don't know what you're doing.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My mother has a Toyato Prius. It has two batteries in it, a regular car battery and the giant battery that runs the electric motor. The regular battery is messed up and she wants me to replace it.

My understand is that even if you disconnect the regular battery, the giant battery still poses a threat. So to even replace one battery, both have to be disconnected which should be done by a professional. Meaning, she should take it to a mechanic who can service a hybrid vehicle?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SlayVus posted:

My mother has a Toyato Prius. It has two batteries in it, a regular car battery and the giant battery that runs the electric motor. The regular battery is messed up and she wants me to replace it.

My understand is that even if you disconnect the regular battery, the giant battery still poses a threat. So to even replace one battery, both have to be disconnected which should be done by a professional. Meaning, she should take it to a mechanic who can service a hybrid vehicle?

You do not need to disconnect the electric motor battery unless you're also going to be working with other parts. It's perfectly safe, and in fact recommended, to leave the large battery connected when you're replacing the 12 volt standard car battery.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Nice classism, bro.
You're right. The guy who works in the graphics department but has no job-related reason to go to the loading dock has the EXACT SAME CHANCES of losing $50 on the loading dock as the forklift guy who spends 40 hours a week there.

I'm sorry for my "classism".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

You're right. The guy who works in the graphics department but has no job-related reason to go to the loading dock has the EXACT SAME CHANCES of losing $50 on the loading dock as the forklift guy who spends 40 hours a week there.

I'm sorry for my "classism".

Just saying these kinds of things are never entirely out of the question.

Someone from the moving heavy things around dept. could have been asked by a superior in the pushing buttons dept. to bust up a chiffarobe and in the process of doing it, dropped his pants, dislodging a couple of bills. Probably would have just spent it on drugs though.

Of course this could all be prevented by a series of electronic badges and zones to keep people from fraternizing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know where I can get slippers that will make your feet warm but not make them sweat?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I thought the classicism comment was a joke. :stare:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Were you given any paperwork to fill out, diagramming the crash or anything? That, along with the officer's report, ought to be all the substantiation your insurance company needs. Make sure you make them settle with the opposing insurer; don't let the opposing convince you to settle up with them directly. You don't want to accidentally short yourself out if you don't know what you're doing.

I wasn't, but I've recorded my account of the accident with both insurance companies. I think the person I spoke to from the other driver's insurance said they can't determine liability until they receive the police report, but my insurance co. has already marked her as liable. And my insurance people have been really helpful and arranged the tow and the rental, so I think it will be okay. Thanks!

Also tuyop, that makes me feel better. Thanks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I thought the classicism comment was a joke. :stare:

This is a comedy forum, everything is jokes, comrade.

PYF is best for jokes.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know where I can get slippers that will make your feet warm but not make them sweat?

Look for slippers that are made of natural fibers (probably wool or a wool blend) instead of synthetic stuff (polyester, acrylic, etc). Natural fibers breathe better, though they don't dry as fast as synthetics.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
My fiance recently got an amazing job offer in Ireland (we'e EU citizens for future reference) and I'm going to move there with her. Now, I'm going to apply for recognition of my EMT license in Ireland and wondered if there was a way to track down a friendly Irish goon on these forums since the authority that handles this apparantly doesn't send return letters/get in touch across borders (according to my friend who did this before) and I'd love to be able to find someone marginally trustworthy to act as a C/O adress and mailopener for me.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Nuclear War posted:

My fiance recently got an amazing job offer in Ireland (we'e EU citizens for future reference) and I'm going to move there with her. Now, I'm going to apply for recognition of my EMT license in Ireland and wondered if there was a way to track down a friendly Irish goon on these forums since the authority that handles this apparantly doesn't send return letters/get in touch across borders (according to my friend who did this before) and I'd love to be able to find someone marginally trustworthy to act as a C/O adress and mailopener for me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032503

Try there. Not sure if they're trustworthy but it is an ireland thread

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I ordered something online and paid $831 total. My card was charged immediately by the company but today when I looked at my bank account, the money is back into my account and the transaction has disappeared. I haven't received any email about my order and apparently it's being prepared for shipment. I have never seen this happen before, but I'm assuming this is normal, right?

birds fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 10, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
They put a hold on your card for that amount. They will charge you once it ships.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I finally joined the 21st century and got myself a laptop. But now I struggle to integrate it with my sound system. I have a good old amplifier and speakers with the usual phono exits, and so far I've been using a 10 meter phono/minijack cable to tie it together. This is wildly impractical. What is my best bet for a wireless solution?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm trying to do this in Excel:

I want to have a bunch of buttons/cells and if the button/cell is clicked, it will paste specific text down a column or an 'input' row.

So if I press button A, it will paste TextA. Press button B, paste textB.

Is Excel the way to go? I'm open to using other programs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BonHair posted:

I finally joined the 21st century and got myself a laptop. But now I struggle to integrate it with my sound system. I have a good old amplifier and speakers with the usual phono exits, and so far I've been using a 10 meter phono/minijack cable to tie it together. This is wildly impractical. What is my best bet for a wireless solution?

Depending on what your threshold for good audio quality is, you could get a Bluetooth receiver and the appropriate adapters to connect it to your amp (assuming your laptop does Bluetooth).

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I have an e-cig sitting around unused that I want to sell. Just to cover my butt, as a reseller I still need to make sure the buyer is old enough to smoke, right?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm trying to do this in Excel:

I want to have a bunch of buttons/cells and if the button/cell is clicked, it will paste specific text down a column or an 'input' row.

So if I press button A, it will paste TextA. Press button B, paste textB.

Is Excel the way to go? I'm open to using other programs.

Definitely doable with macros in Excel, but I'm not good enough to do it without macros. If you know your way around visual basic and can tinker on the backend of Excel macros it's super easy.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
How do rolling, monthly subscriptions work when you sign up in the last few days of the month? Like if I sign up for Netflix on the 31st of some month, and then the next month only has 30 days, do they just charge you on the 30th? Or "behind the scenes" is there some way that years get broken up into equal but roughly "monthly" chunks and then bill according to those?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maou shoujo posted:

I have an e-cig sitting around unused that I want to sell. Just to cover my butt, as a reseller I still need to make sure the buyer is old enough to smoke, right?

Yeah, depending on what state you're in, selling it to a minor can be considered the same as selling regular cigarettes to a minor.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the best free/cheap online fax service for my technologically inept mom?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Christoff posted:

What's the best free/cheap online fax service for my technologically inept mom?

If she only needs to receive something, I've used K7 in the past. It's a free service that assigns you a phone number and then sends a PDF to your email of anything faxed to that number. (The standard warnings apply about faxing your potentially-sensitive information through whoever the hell runs K7, but at least they've been around for a billion years or so.)

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Kings Of Calabria posted:

How do rolling, monthly subscriptions work when you sign up in the last few days of the month? Like if I sign up for Netflix on the 31st of some month, and then the next month only has 30 days, do they just charge you on the 30th? Or "behind the scenes" is there some way that years get broken up into equal but roughly "monthly" chunks and then bill according to those?

If you sign up on the 17th, you get billed the 17th of every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Powered Descent posted:

If she only needs to receive something, I've used K7 in the past. It's a free service that assigns you a phone number and then sends a PDF to your email of anything faxed to that number. (The standard warnings apply about faxing your potentially-sensitive information through whoever the hell runs K7, but at least they've been around for a billion years or so.)

Sorry forgot to specify only for sending