Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

First Bass posted:

"Target opponent"

Exactly. "Genesis Slave" not "Genesis Wave".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"Nemesis Wave" :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Reene posted:

I almost made a grown man cry with Villainous Wealth which has catapulted it to my favorite card in this set forever.

Please elaborate

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Bleh I think someone in the postal system stole the cards out of this PWE package I received because it was empty :(.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

After playing since Revised, the only valuable cards (ie over $10) I had when I started playing again for real (right around GTC) were a beat up Force and a Survival of the Fittest, plus an Emrakul I got out of an impulse fat pack. I have the best luck with packs. :sigh: I know at one point I had like 3 Forces, but who knows where they went? :iiam:

Oh well, at least I'm not my friend who is missing his old collection including, among other things, several Forces and a Chains of Mephistopheles.

Ah old collection chat. I started playing right around unlimited in high school, quit sometime during Tempest block. I had a mox jet, a bazaar, a kabal ghoul (I liked stupid nether shadow ashen ghoul deck) many duals etc. I traded this fine collection for, a 3 disk dvd changer. To be fair the player was like $400 back then. Of course it makes me cry when I think about it now.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

But think about it. You can have THREE DVDs in once. That's a whole season of some shows!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

But think about it. You can have THREE DVDs in once. That's a whole season of some shows!

Or 5 episodes of Game of Thrones.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I traded away a 1999 Starter Set Grim Tutor because I wanted sweet dragons. 12 year old me was a dumbass

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
To end this downer on the opposite note, I bought 3 Gaea's Cradle back in 2001 for $8 a piece. I still have them, and one is signed by Mark Zug.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

newtestleper posted:

So here in New Zealand a guy stabbed his friend to death because of a powerful combination of schizophrenia and Magic: The Gathering.

The report doesn't specify which of those two factors lead to him getting off due to insanity.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11371996

this is what happens when you rare redraft fyi

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
My mom has a story she tells whenever she remembers it, which is basically that before we moved in 2005 (and I don't know by how much earlier) a friend of hers gave her a box of cards in case I eventually liked the game because they didn't want them anymore. The box got lost in a move at some point I guess and I've never even seen it. Like, I know it's probably just draft leavings or poo poo from pack openings, but "giant free pile of old magic cards" is what I'm all about and it could be worth tons for all I know :smith:

Gyshall posted:

this is what happens when you rare redraft fyi

lmao

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I do find that the amount of "I found a pile of old MTG cards and they turned out to be worthless" far outnumbers the "I found old MTG cards and found buried treasure"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I never got rid of my old collection, but I also didn't start collecting until Tempest, and I never got anything really good. Most of my lost value was in lovely trades. Of course, about the best thing I traded away was Sapphire Medallion.

I did buy a poo poo-ton of cards from a friend when her game store closed, and of course the majority of it was garbage, but I did pull a (revised) Tundra from it. Also like 50 copies of Hymn to Tourach, and like 30 Brainstorms, and 14 Lim-Dul's Vault, and a bunch of other $1 cards.

And of course 60+ Scryb Sprites, and Wood Elementals, and any other garbage common you can think of between Revised and Mirrodin. God I have so many garbage cards. I really should figure out what the gently caress to do with them. Maybe I should experiment with 3D alters or those life counter abacus card things.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How was GTCx3 in draft? CSI has boosters very cheap, I'm thinking about picking up a bunch for friendly drafts.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Boxman posted:

How was GTCx3 in draft? CSI has boosters very cheap, I'm thinking about picking up a bunch for friendly drafts.

Kinda crap, it essentially boiled down to who had the best Boros/Orzhov aggro deck. Simic sucked, Dmir's best spell was better ciphered onto an evasive flier in orzhov than anything else. Gruul was decent but usually not fast enough to contend with the Boros splashing Orzhov decks. Occasionally a mill deck can be drafted but usually its poor.

Silvestri did a decent primer on the format

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/silvestri-says-gatecrash-draft-overview/

Josh Silvestri on 3x Gatecrash:

Silvestri posted:

The baseline for starting your curve is two mana, and if your aggro deck doesn't have 5 creatures at that slot, you have a pretty weak deck. If you play a control deck, or simply a slower, big creature Simic or Gruul deck, and get paired up against these aggressive plans without early creatures to block, you'll quickly get run over and that's the end of the road. Being able to trade early is so important against Boros—even against aggressive Gruul/Orzhov decks, bloodrush and extort mean low life totals get very precarious.

My initial Orzhov and Dimir decks were mostly trash, because I didn't understand how important it was to prioritize my curve. I eventually corrected this, then applied it to my Boros and Gruul drafting, and my win percentage online kept going up.

I wanted decks with 20 creatures and 7 two-drops, and felt great whenever I got them. Outside of Mugging, removal is very expensive, and combat tricks that aren't attached to a creature feel like situational removal at the best of times. The creatures are just so much better than we're accustomed to, and battalion makes blocking unprofitable. If bloodrush and battalion didn't exist, these decks couldn't be played to anywhere near the same success, because the two-drops would lose too much value against the good defenders like Crocanura, Basilica Guards, and others.

As a casual thing, especially if no one is particularly proficient in the format, it should be fine though.
3xRTR>DGR>3xGTC in my opinion

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 10, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Boxman posted:

fast and Borosy.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

fast and Borosy.

Yeah it's completely correct to first pick Syndic of Tithes or Daring Skyjek a good 90% of the time. You live and die off quality 2 drops.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hopping Ghost posted:

My Magic career's had a similar timeline. I stopped in Saga block, then cracked an Innistrad pack just because Oh Hey Magic's Still A Thing, Let's Check It Out. The rare was double-sided Garruk. That was a pretty big surprise.

Garruk didn't use the rare slot. Your story is full of holes. What are you hiding?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Garruk didn't use the rare slot. Your story is full of holes. What are you hiding?

He probably had something dumb like Nevermore in his rare slot and completely forgot about it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
gently caress I hate Wednesdays. Even their website is down so I have no idea when this massive down-time is supposed to be over.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

BaronVonVaderham posted:

gently caress I hate Wednesdays. Even their website is down so I have no idea when this massive down-time is supposed to be over.

Their twitter account is pretty good for that stuff. It would be nice if they told people about it!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Madmarker posted:

Yeah it's completely correct to first pick Syndic of Tithes or Daring Skyjek a good 90% of the time. You live and die off quality 2 drops.

Syndic of Tithes would be a monster in virtually any format though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I Love You! posted:

Agreed. Just play all the two drops.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed. Just play all the two drops.

I did this once.

I 6-0'd that pre-release.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Not a goblin or elf, not playable in ONS ONS ONS.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Not a goblin or elf, not playable in ONS ONS ONS.

It's a cleric for your Battlefield Medics that can drain life around other Battlefield Medics and board combat in general. :smug:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
All of these stories make me glad I never sold my 12 FoW I got from Alliances boxes or my $5 playsets of revised duals when I quit. I only got rid of my Mana Drains.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a cleric for your Battlefield Medics that can drain life around other Battlefield Medics and board combat in general. :smug:

It's also a human for your Daru Stingers. In full block draft Syndic of Tithes would be a bomb common.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also scratch elves because I forgot that Timberwatch Elf was in legions and not onslaught :blush:.

Still though sparksmith is a hell of a card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hellsau posted:

It's also a human for your Daru Stingers.

Of course, this wasn't relevant at the time ONS block was current... though neither was Syndic of Tithes, so. :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Syndic was just a silly mistake of a card for a bunch of different reasons.

1. Monocolored 2drop with huge upside that can be played either in control or aggro. What should have been the core of Orzhov decks was even more in-demand for Boros and created a rush on white
2. Lifegain to offset opponent aggro in a set where you were playing tons of 2drops and thus had plenty of mana to extort
3. Common
4. Obscene in multiples
5. Opponent had to remove/trade with them to keep up putting you in the driver's seat

Basically Syndic was nearly unpassable which made for a dumb tug-of-war between Boros and Orzhov and heavily, heavily skewed towards one of those two guilds. It further compounded the problem of almost all the great commons being mono-colored. And if other people didn't force Syndics and you got too many it was possible to set up scenarios where you couldn't really conceivably lose the life race of both players turning guys sideways especially with cheap removal being fairly tough to come by.

I had a very small handful of drafts where I just forced Syndics and extort walls and ended up with 5-6 of the guys, and there wasn't really anything to be done about it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Found it.
Anyone experiencing awful crashes with the new MTGO build?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Also scratch elves because I forgot that Timberwatch Elf was in legions and not onslaught :blush:.

Still though sparksmith is a hell of a card.

It was good but it's not like its presence made goblins the only good deck to draft or anything. Remember, back then the sets were bigger and you were less likely to see any given common than today.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Since Modern Masters 2015 releases in May, they should kick off spoiler season on the first of April by showing off Noble Hierarch with a mythic symbol and see how much people freak out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If I play Snapcaster Mage targeting Treasure Cruise, can I still use Delve?

Because if so, I know what Modern deck I'm building.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

You can delve, but I don't think you can exile it.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

qbert posted:

This was a Cranial Insertion question a few weeks ago -- you can, but can't exile the Cruise to help pay for itself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

Delve is not an alternative cost.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Turns Snapcaster into Muldrifter 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm started playing in Champions. Me and my three friends all shared buying cards because we were young and that was the easiest way. For Christmas that year we had gotten 6 boxes between us (my friend's families are loaded). That's not even counting the number of tournament packs, fat packs, or random packs we wasted our money on. Eventually we all kinds took a break from buying Magic cards (two quit, one of whom just started playing again with Khans). We sold a whole bunch of our cards for money for other things in that period, and looking as prices of those cards just go up and up and up for various reasons (EDH, modern, etc.) makes me :smith: every time.

So no, you don't have to have gotten rid of Moxen and Duals and FoWs to feel bad about selling your collection. All it takes is a few dozen Sensei's Divining Tops (we had to have had at least 30) or Glimpse of Natures.

Also holy gently caress Champions came out 10 years ago?! Jesus Christ.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread