Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

drat I'm just now a half hour into the Anchorman 2 extended edition but apparently it's worse than the original? Should I keep watching or switch to the other version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Just watched the original and it was aimless and ridiculous, but not in the endearingly charming way the first movie managed to capture.

Overall seemed very mean spirited and all of the jokes fell flat. I laughed once during a two hour comedy.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anchorman 2 is alright but in no ways did that movie need to be extended

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I gotta give credit to Anchorman 2 for at least doing something different with the story. Instead of making the film about misogyny again, it was about 24 hour news, and why it's poo poo and all that. It wasn't biting satire but it was something at least. I could do without the racial stuff though. But thankfully it was in and out before I started to really care.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
If anyone here is interested in Family Guy, Season 12 was just added to Netflix.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CelticPredator posted:

I gotta give credit to Anchorman 2 for at least doing something different with the story. Instead of making the film about misogyny again, it was about 24 hour news, and why it's poo poo and all that. It wasn't biting satire but it was something at least. I could do without the racial stuff though. But thankfully it was in and out before I started to really care.

It could have done without all of the family poo poo and the lighthouse stuff. Literally just completely boring scenes to make the movie longer.

I'd watch 90 minutes of various news crews fighting each other though.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brick was so boring and overused and overexaggerated in Anchorman 2 that I stopped watching it, I don't know why they looked at a character who yells dumb poo poo and decided a quarter of the movie needed to go to his autistic seduction dance with another awful character.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I disagree at least in part with Waste's interpretation of Luhrmann's Gatsby. Jordan and Daisy are portrayed as charismatic but still ultimately shallow folks- in the case of the latter it is still mostly Gatsby projecting his illusions onto her, and she's still weak-willed when the pressure is on.

On the former, I'd say the film definitely magnifies Nick's admiration of Gatsby, but on the other hand I'm not sure why deviating from the novel counts as an aesthetic flaw.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. The idea was so stupid but holy poo poo how did they pull it off so well? That was shockingly well done.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

The end result is still mostly them just re-doing gags from the first movie only bigger/louder/dumber and with a few new characters tacked on and more celebrity cameos.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I disagree at least in part with Waste's interpretation of Luhrmann's Gatsby. Jordan and Daisy are portrayed as charismatic but still ultimately shallow folks- in the case of the latter it is still mostly Gatsby projecting his illusions onto her, and she's still weak-willed when the pressure is on.

On the former, I'd say the film definitely magnifies Nick's admiration of Gatsby, but on the other hand I'm not sure why deviating from the novel counts as an aesthetic flaw.

It's not an aesthetic flaw, but a thematically problematic one. Again, I think the important point isn't that Jordan and Daisy and Nick and everyone else are still ultimately shallow and weak-willed. It's that Luhrmann wants us to understand why they choose these fleeting, materialistic lives that they do over the apparent drudgery and moral judgment of 'the real world.' Heck, even the way Mertyl's husband treats her is ultimately portrayed as bitterly cruel. Even if we can understand why he's angry at her infidelity, this scene is contextualized by the constant cutting back and forth between the accident and 'God's' judging eyes. But that isn't God; it's just an advertisement. Even this supposedly 'real' world, with its poverty and oppression, is just as 'false' and materialistic. The point is that the moral liberation that this opulent materialism offers feels 'more real' than the poverty it's built upon, and to which it is inevitably sliding, Gatsby's facade fading into ruin.

The point of Luhrmann's film, I think, is that, even once Gatsby is exposed as this fraud who sniffs at Daisy's heels like a pathetic dog, with no purpose other than to be a facade, Nick perceivers to suggest that this Gatsby, the one who was kind to him, was the real Gatsby, and this is presented without a shred of irony. What matters to Luhrmann is that the American Dream live on in some sense despite the inevitability of pop culture constantly being consumed and replaced and then replicated. His film doesn't want to confront us with the detritus that this culture of materialism creates, and the social consequences of this waste.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Romeo+Juliet ruins what may be the single dirties joke you will ever hear in your education. For that it's a horrible movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well thematically problematic isn't really an aesthetic issue for me either- it means the filmmakers have a different interpretation of the material.

Starship Troopers has more or less the complete opposite meaning of the book (which is an uncritical endorsement of militarism) and it's great.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

sbaldrick posted:

Romeo+Juliet ruins what may be the single dirties joke you will ever hear in your education. For that it's a horrible movie.

Which one?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well thematically problematic isn't really an aesthetic issue for me either- it means the filmmakers have a different interpretation of the material.

Starship Troopers has more or less the complete opposite meaning of the book (which is an uncritical endorsement of militarism) and it's great.

Oh, I agree. Part of what I like about Luhrmann's adaptation is that it's so ballsy in its rejection of Fitzgerald. A lot of critics ironically missed the point by accusing him of missing the point.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Luhrmann cut out some of the best parts and characters and it makes me think he didn't even get/care about making an adaptation so much as his own hyper-stylized version which is why a lot of people hated it.

Also, despite the most exaggerated Roaring 20s imagery ever it's really loving boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

I just watched and adored The One I Love but that might be because I'm a huge fan of both Mark Duplass and films with supernatural elements where someone repeatedly tries to break the rules and 'figure it out' the way any autistic CineD poster like myself would.

Yeah I really enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. Deffo recommended.

Also echoing that Romeo + Juliet is amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Luhrmann cut out some of the best parts and characters and it makes me think he didn't even get/care about making an adaptation so much as his own hyper-stylized version which is why a lot of people hated it.

Which is like complaining that Moulin Rouge had all those song numbers.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I just watched and adored The One I Love but that might be because I'm a huge fan of both Mark Duplass and films with supernatural elements where someone repeatedly tries to break the rules and 'figure it out' the way any autistic CineD poster like myself would.

Watched this the other day knowing nothing about it and absolutely loved it. I highly recommend.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I just finished watching the non-extended cut of Anchorman 2. It's not as strong as the first one but it's worth checking out if you were a fan. I probably wouldn't watch it again but it got a good amount of laughs out of me.

I haven't seen the extended cut but honestly I can't see making the movie longer improving it.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2014

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Turfahurf posted:

I just finished watching the non-extended cut of Anchorman 2. It's not as strong as the first one but it's worth checking out if you were a fan. I probably wouldn't watch it again but it got a good amount of laughs out of me.

I haven't seen the extended cut but honestly I can't see making the movie longer improving it.

Its not simply longer its mostly a "B" cut of the whole film. Different set of jokes. Way too many scenes left in of characters explaining jokes and holy hell these jokes were cut for a reason.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thank god I chose to watch the theatrical edit of Anchorman 2 today; anything past those two wretched hours would have driven me to suicide.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The last 15 minutes of Anchorman 2 just got really, really weird :stare:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mr.Jones, not exaggerating, is the worst movie in terms of pretentiousness I have seen on NF. It doesn't establish any level of stakes and dear god it has the worst camera work this side of shaky. Editor of this is the real monster. I loathe this movie please never watch it.

On the other hand taking of Delores Logan was enjoyable and was lifted from its weakest elements "horror" by the solid performance of its star.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Junkie Disease posted:

Mr.Jones, not exaggerating, is the worst movie in terms of pretentiousness I have seen on NF. It doesn't establish any level of stakes and dear god it has the worst camera work this side of shaky. Editor of this is the real monster. I loathe this movie please never watch it.

On the other hand taking of Delores Logan was enjoyable and was lifted from its weakest elements "horror" by the solid performance of its star.

The first like, ten to fifteen minutes of Mr. Jones seemed promising, but everything after was real bad and aimless.

The Taking of Delores Logan was really good for the first half until it turned into another unoriginal jump scare Paranormal Activity wannabe.

I love good found footage movies but 90% of them are loving awful.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Turfahurf posted:

The first like, ten to fifteen minutes of Mr. Jones seemed promising, but everything after was real bad and aimless.

The Taking of Delores Logan was really good for the first half until it turned into another unoriginal jump scare Paranormal Activity wannabe.

I love good found footage movies but 90% of them are loving awful.

True and true. Know of any good ones? [REC] 3 poo poo the bed and I'm drawing blanks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The end result is still mostly them just re-doing gags from the first movie only bigger/louder/dumber and with a few new characters tacked on and more celebrity cameos.

Maybe it was because the first wasn't fresh in my mind, but there seemed to be a lot more new stuff than old. I mean, as dull as it got at least the lighthouse stuff was new. It didn't feel like a rehash. It felt like a tacked on part of an earlier draft, but I'll take that scene over anything in Hangover 2 or Dumb and Dumber 2.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Candy Dawn posted:

Watched this the other day knowing nothing about it and absolutely loved it. I highly recommend.

I started to watch this,but the guy in it looks too much like Louis Theroux for me to take it seriously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I started to watch this,but the guy in it looks too much like Louis Theroux for me to take it seriously.

Why did you have to say this?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Turfahurf posted:

Agree with this. Just watched the regular version last night and it was much better than I expected. Obviously nowhere near the first one, but I went in with pretty low expectations. It was definitely enjoyable enough as a sequel and worth one watch - it had enough new storyline and wasn't just a rehash of all the same jokes.

Also agreed that I can only imagine a longer version making it worse.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Anchorman 2 screamed bro-deal movie from the get go, just like every Adam Sandler movie since his funny movies. Bring in your friends for a couple hours of work, they all get to cash in checks for hundreds or thousands of dollars every month for the next few years.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Utopia is so, so good. Almost finished with season 1, any word one when season 2 will come to netflix?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Turfahurf posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of any comedy that is improved by being longer.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Just watched Devil's Due on Canadian Netflix, I suggest you don't do the same as it's pretty drat boring. The only decent part was the ending with the Brazilian(?) taxi driver / cultist from earlier, now a Frenchman, picking up a new couple. The credits music was good though, very unexpected.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I just about finished season one of Wentworth and I am pretty impressed with it so far. It's about life in a womens prison, however nothing like Orange is the New Black. No comedy, all drama and drat does it get pretty depressing at times.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

laxbro posted:

Utopia is so, so good. Almost finished with season 1, any word one when season 2 will come to netflix?

If there is a god, NF will buy the series. If they have season 1 its a good chance they will get two. Just don't google anything about the show or go to its original website its laden with spoilers.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just started watching Bojack Horseman. It's pretty good. More or less your standard cartoon aimed at adults, but the voice actors really make it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The penis jokes, the only one an audience of school age children is really going to get.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why did you have to say this?

I'm sorry, but I didn't want to be alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Just started watching Bojack Horseman. It's pretty good. More or less your standard cartoon aimed at adults, but the voice actors really make it.

I think this ended up being my favorite Netflix original show. it has an incredible payoff and gets better and better as the season goes on

• Locked thread