Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

I'd still really like to see one of these meme dominated threads, if anyone has a link handy.

Duh he linked the wildstar thread, a very relevant thread for a good game with socially well adjust goons who post lots of interesting content filled posts and was ruined by trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

net cafe scandal posted:

I'd still really like to see one of these meme dominated threads, if anyone has a link handy.

Take a look at the Wildstar thread I posted above. I meant to quote you, but somehow didnt manage to.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Eonwe posted:

Duh he linked the wildstar thread, a very relevant thread for a good game with socially well adjust goons who post lots of interesting content filled posts and was ruined by trolling

Stop saying content.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What I meant to say is gently caress the wildstar thread

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Where have I ever said any of this about the Wildstar thread? The thread was an entertaining train wreck abpout a bad game to say the least, but it became just boring and sad when people started making GBS threads it up with low content, low effort posts that were not funny.

Hell, just take a look at what this thread has devolved into for an example of why there needs to be some base line standard for posting.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So hypothetically what would a base line standard of posting be?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New thought: let's talk about more interesting things we can do or threads we can make

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Where have I ever said any of this about the Wildstar thread? The thread was an entertaining train wreck abpout a bad game to say the least, but it became just boring and sad when people started making GBS threads it up with low content, low effort posts that were not funny.

Hell, just take a look at what this thread has devolved into for an example of why there needs to be some base line standard for posting.

You've got a really good point here, but I don't think it's the one you intended to make.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Contest Winner posted:

So hypothetically what would a base line standard of posting be?

I have no clue. I'd imagine that would be up to mods/community/whatever to decide. No memes/no racism/at least on basic sentence seems like a fairly reasonable standard though. The bar doesn't exactly need to be high.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

I have no clue. I'd imagine that would be up to mods/community/whatever to decide. No memes/no racism/at least on basic sentence seems like a fairly reasonable standard though. The bar doesn't exactly need to be high.

Agreed with no racism but that doesn't need to be an official rule IMO

The other ideas are bad

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Eonwe posted:

New thought: let's talk about more interesting things we can do or threads we can make

Video Game Awards, for goons, by goons.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Agreed with no racism but that doesn't need to be an official rule IMO

So, if its not an official rule what should it be? Let the free market handle it as if this internet video game forum were a libertarian paradise?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Can we keep some memes?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

So, if its not an official rule what should it be? Let the free market handle it as if this internet video game forum were a libertarian paradise?

Hahah I wish I could frame this post

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

CoffeeBooze posted:

When you average 300 posts a day you are bound to have some stinkers.

That Wildstar thread definitely got poo poo up

Seriously though, this is the dumbest post on that page and you deserve to be made fun of for it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

memes for some, miniature simpsons references for others.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
See you guys on Reddit, where memes and racism aren't illegal.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

Can we keep some memes?

ALL THE MEMES

heh, epic

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

net cafe scandal posted:

Can someone link me to a particularly meme-heavy thread in Games? I gots to see this !!

Would one of the old Archeage threads having multiple pages composed of almost nothing but "feels" spam count? The pedophile defenders were complete fuckups, but at least put some effort into trolling them/calling them out, like people did before and after the "feels" spam.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The trolling with effort can be really hilarious and is something I legit look forward to. Watching people get baited into owning themselves in the ArcheAge thread was the only reason to read it for weeks at a time. Then we get like four straight pages of image meme macro posting, "ironically" unironic racism and homophobia, eyepops, empty quotes and poo poo posting without even a hint of effort. Just F5 and mash on the keyboard, LE COMEDY! The fun part of watching people be loving stupid is washed away in a tide of poo poo. There's no content, no effort, nothing to salvage or enjoy.

Any attempt to even try to get it back on track is met with 'LAWL I M le puppe mster' bullshit and more of the above. Even right here in this exact thread, that exact routine is playing out when people want to have a discussion about the state of the games forum in the state of the games forum thread. Every twelve year old on the internet can puke that stuff up on reddit all day long. I was attracted to SA because of the moderation that kept that poo poo in check and allowed conversations to take place.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book posted:

Can we keep some memes?

Sure, but which ones? Everyone's got a favorite.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book posted:

Can we keep some memes?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I would suggest that if someone is posting too many memes you don't like, you could use the ignore function. Just don't post about ignoring someone because then you look like a huge dingus.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

elf help book posted:

Can we keep some memes?

Perhaps we should start a catalog of acceptable memes. I nominate all threads to be the catalog.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I agree with CoffeeBooze that the community should decide the rules. We should have a meme voting tournament to decide which we like the best.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Contest Winner posted:

Just don't post about ignoring someone because then you look like a huge dingus.

Hey Eonwe, here's some free advice for you!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Would one of the old Archeage threads having multiple pages composed of almost nothing but "feels" spam count? The pedophile defenders were complete fuckups, but at least put some effort into trolling them/calling them out, like people did before and after the "feels" spam.

I've always been partial to the feels meme, so I'm afraid I can't fairly judge the events of that thread - except to say pedophilia is wrong.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We HAVE to keep fly dorner

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Contest Winner posted:

I would suggest that if someone is posting too many memes you don't like, you could use the ignore function. Just don't post about ignoring someone because then you look like a huge dingus.

I gave that a shot but it doesn't really work when two people can be like half the posts in a thread for a page or two.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book posted:

I agree with CoffeeBooze that the community should decide the rules. We should have a meme voting tournament to decide which we like the best.

My sword for Pepe.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

elf help book posted:

I'm cool with this if it means we can get mangaposting back in the Steam thread.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BERGfu posted:

I do not expect to win also Stanley Pain let's swap names on Steam

Can we swap bodily fluids instead? :wink:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You can pry my shibe from my cold dead hands.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I liked when Widestancer and the rest really poo poo on Wildstar, but I was uncomfortable with the fact that she would wish for someone to be poor and or starve because they made a bad game. I think that even as a joke that unless someone is a pedo or pedo defender, wishing harm on them over a video game, again even as a joke, is bad. Unless its Panda Clue of course.

I also liked when they 'trolled' the archeage thread by pointing out how loving insane some of them were, but I wasn't a huge fan of the giant image macros and what not.

I do think its funny that people are still mad about that stuff like 2 months later.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

P

SumYungGui posted:

The trolling with effort can be really hilarious and is something I legit look forward to. Watching people get baited into owning themselves in the ArcheAge thread was the only reason to read it for weeks at a time. Then we get like four straight pages of image meme macro posting, "ironically" unironic racism and homophobia, eyepops, empty quotes and poo poo posting without even a hint of effort. Just F5 and mash on the keyboard, LE COMEDY! The fun part of watching people be loving stupid is washed away in a tide of poo poo. There's no content, no effort, nothing to salvage or enjoy.

Any attempt to even try to get it back on track is met with 'LAWL I M le puppe mster' bullshit and more of the above. Even right here in this exact thread, that exact routine is playing out when people want to have a discussion about the state of the games forum in the state of the games forum thread. Every twelve year old on the internet can puke that stuff up on reddit all day long. I was attracted to SA because of the moderation that kept that poo poo in check and allowed conversations to take place.

Perhaps you should go to reddit where you can self moderate and press downvote arrows? You even get conversation strings!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Perhaps you should go to reddit where you can self moderate and press downvote arrows? You even get conversation strings!

it's funny because sumyunggui was one of the dudes defending bfm

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sword_man.xmas posted:

:yikes:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

I liked when Widestancer and the rest really poo poo on Wildstar, but I was uncomfortable with the fact that she would wish for someone to be poor and or starve because they made a bad game. I think that even as a joke that unless someone is a pedo or pedo defender, wishing harm on them over a video game, even as a joke, is bad. Unless its Panda Clue of course.

I also liked when they 'trolled' the archeage thread by pointing out how loving insane some of them were, but I wasn't a huge fan of the giant image macros and what not.

I do think its funny that people are still mad about that stuff like 2 months later.

I think people are missing the part where I actually talked to the dev (Cyster) in that thread and she even "got" it and we had a fun conversation for a bit about what it's like to work at a stressful company. The people here like CoffeeBooze cared about it way more than she ever did and that Cyster and I were actually able to giggle about it and then talk while 2 months later the people who aren't that dev are still mad about it is pretty funny.

That doesn't fit the narrative though that some people like to have so :shrug:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

sword_man.xmas posted:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Widestancer posted:

I think people are missing the part where I actually talked to the dev (Cyster) and she even "got" it and we had a fun conversation for a bit about what it's like to work at a stressful company.

lol my favorite part was when you opened a second thread and it was full of people calling cyster fat lol

• Locked thread