Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Change the name to The Corral: Beating a dead horse with a broken stick and missing every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I need finals to get done so I stop posting in DnD as a way to procrastinate from studying

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Jarmak posted:

I need finals to get done so I stop posting in DnD as a way to procrastinate from studying

this...but I need my boss to actually give me something to do.

stupid holiday slow down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm just amused by how many people think I'm a dude based on my posts, and the apparent privilege shown therein.

I've truly reached equality.

I know I've mentioned this before but I honestly get shocked every time I see the amount of verbal abuse people give you. You explain yourself well and you're not saying things that are massively controversial but you constantly get blunt insults and mockery which usually get excused as "I was being hyperbolic, sorry you felt threatened" when someone calls them out.

With Cole I can understand that reaction but you're just someone they disagree with which shouldn't invite that kind of language.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I know I've mentioned this before but I honestly get shocked every time I see the amount of verbal abuse people give you. You explain yourself well and you're not saying things that are massively controversial but you constantly get blunt insults and mockery which usually get excused as "I was being hyperbolic, sorry you felt threatened" when someone calls them out.

It's about ethics in online poo poo-posting.

But yeah...I didn't think "people who commit murder should go to jail and victims have a right to be heard at sentencing" was very controversial seeing as all 50 states agree with me.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 10, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

DnD's problem as far as I see it is that I could go into a thread and just say "George W. Bush is a war criminal and we should drag him to the Hague in chains and if you disagree you're literally Hitler" and folks will cheerlead me on, but if you respond to me with "that's insane" folks dogpile you with "well where's your peer-reviewed study to show that it's insane? MLA-citations only please :smug:". And then you get accused of trolling or derailing the thread by pointing out that what people are saying is insane.

I was just asked to provide a citation to support my statement that victims, and those sympathetic to them, who lose faith in the justice system can resort to criminal behavior themselves.

In the police reform thread.

That has been discussing the Ferguson case.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DnD's problem as far as I see it is that I could go into a thread and just say "George W. Bush is a war criminal and we should drag him to the Hague in chains and if you disagree you're literally Hitler" and folks will cheerlead me on, but if you respond to me with "that's insane" folks dogpile you with "well where's your peer-reviewed study to show that it's insane? MLA-citations only please :smug:". And then you get accused of trolling or derailing the thread by pointing out that what people are saying is insane.

To be fair this is what every place online with opinions is like. There's always a circlejerk, reinforcing the circlejerk is always okay, going against the circlejerk is really bad and one needs a lot of rhetorical support to not get accused of trolling. Then if you do have lots of rhetorical support, you are of course also trolling anyway.

My first probation here is from Games when I didn't have sufficient citations on my at the time highly controversial statement that maybe mass effect 3 wouldn't be good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think a lot of the problem is all the stormfront/freep/etc megathreads that a lot of people spend a lot of time in, looking at racists say dumb things and making fun of them (from behind a glass wall through which the racists can never respond, of course). They see racists saying things like "I think all niggers should die and also that my taxes should be lower" and rightfully think that's insanely hosed up. But then they see other people say "I think my taxes should be lower" and because they lack the critical thinking skills necessary to separate the ideas, they start shouting RACIST RACIST RACIST.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I think a lot of the problem is all the stormfront/freep/etc megathreads that a lot of people spend a lot of time in, looking at racists say dumb things and making fun of them (from behind a glass wall through which the racists can never respond, of course). They see racists saying things like "I think all niggers should die and also that my taxes should be lower" and rightfully think that's insanely hosed up. But then they see other people say "I think my taxes should be lower" and because they lack the critical thinking skills necessary to separate the ideas, they start shouting RACIST RACIST RACIST.

Pretty much. They seem to be having a very hard time understanding that I can be at the same time in favor of long prison terms for first degree murder, AND opposed to prison shower rape.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah and at some point "HEH I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo:" became a meme and now the truth can never, ever be in the middle, because South Park.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah and at some point "HEH I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle??? :smuggo:" became a meme and now the truth can never, ever be in the middle, because South Park.

Except for...you know...all those times when it actually is.

Which is almost always.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My political views are mostly centrist. According to D&D I don't exist.

Have I been...othered?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Despite some attempts to destroy them completely there still are pretty decent safety nets in this country, plus charities. Therefore if I catch you stealing my stuff something bad is going to happen to you because you're not going to have a good enough reason.

I love it when TCC idiots justify stealing because someone is going through withdrawal.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Except for...you know...all those times when it actually is.

Which is almost always.

Except when it isn't. Which on the internet is a lot of the time, on account of a lot of people actually being that loving racist/stupid/biased. :shrug:

quote:

Have I been...othered?!

No, you're just trolling both sides equally

quote:

I love it when TCC idiots justify stealing because someone is going through withdrawal.

Explaining does not equal Excusing. Although trying to figure out whether the OP or following posters understand the difference is always hard to ascertain, and the threads tend to go to poo poo over it.

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 10, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Have I been...othered?!

To be centrist, you have to acknowledge the validity of something other than the preferred extreme.

Therefore, Hitler.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
In actual news as opposed to the DnD discussion section, there's a woman in Kabul with a death wish.

Also Supreme Group just got taken to the cleaners by the government for fraud regarding food/fuel/other logistics support poo poo in Afghanistan...total penalties are a little under half a billion dollars. The whistleblower is getting $16M from the deal, which isn't too bad of a deal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Explaining does not equal Excusing. Although trying to figure out whether the OP or following posters understand the difference is always hard to ascertain, and the threads tend to go to poo poo over it.
Around here it certainly is excusing.

I've got an idea for a safe place heroin addicts can go and get all the free heroin they want, the kicker is that the only way they're allowed to leave is in a body bag.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

In actual news as opposed to the DnD discussion section, there's a woman in Kabul with a death wish.

Seriously, the fashion police are going to lynch her for wearing vibrams.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kabul SlutWalk turnout was light this year.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

priznat posted:

Kabul SlutWalk turnout was light this year.

oh. snap.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

solution: helldump DnD. make DnD posters only able to post there forever. this would gently caress over alot of gip but gently caress it,
you willingly touch the poop.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
In the 70s they had short skirts lol. Allah ackbar

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Equine Don posted:

Kabul 1970:

I think this one is a nice metaphor for what's happened to Afghanistan:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Equine Don posted:

This was Russia's fault, right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ActusRhesus posted:

Pretty much. They seem to be having a very hard time understanding that I can be at the same time in favor of long prison terms for first degree murder, AND opposed to prison shower rape.

when they aren't just flat out accusing you of whatever they want

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Stop being so loving disingenuous. I clearly said "non-violent drug offenders", not "simple possession cases".

Dance around it all you want, but you were explicitly arguing for imprisoning non-violent drug offenders earlier in the thread.

in reference to this

ActusRhesus posted:

now where exactly did I say I supported no knock raids, and where exactly did I say I supported jail time for simple posession? Because I'm pretty sure I said the opposite of that.

i have to stop myself every time a cruise ship thread comes up because i keep getting annoyed at people making up poo poo about them, for example that they discharge untreated sewage in port and use a cheap desalinator therefore you're drinking sewage
but knowing how they actually work (not like i've actually worked on a cruise ship sewage plant and freshwater generator) makes me a shill, apparently

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm fairly certain the Taliban had at least a little something to do with it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

This is when you post :vince:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 10, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuluk posted:

solution: helldump DnD. make DnD posters only able to post there forever. this would gently caress over alot of gip but gently caress it,
you willingly touch the poop.

DnD doesn't really get outside their forum much so that's not actually a problem. Every time they come in here trying to start poo poo it just fizzles out because nobody engages with it.

Now lurkers complaining to mods about GiP behavior is apparently another story

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Now lurkers complaining to mods about GiP behavior is apparently another story

They can come post or keep being report and run bitches.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I live next to a black family, a cop, white trash, and rich christians. I wish people would go outside and say hi to each other every once in a while like we do, but then they would have go outside and that's scary!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

Also Supreme Group just got taken to the cleaners by the government for fraud regarding food/fuel/other logistics support poo poo in Afghanistan...total penalties are a little under half a billion dollars. The whistleblower is getting $16M from the deal, which isn't too bad of a deal.

I take it back, there is some justice in the world.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Two Finger posted:

when they aren't just flat out accusing you of whatever they want

in reference to this

Actually, it was in reference to this:

ActusRhesus posted:

I buy that argument for the possession case, because I have sympathy for people with substance abuse issues and agree they are people we should be looking to rehabilitate. Not so much the dealer. If you make the decision to profit from illegal activity, then yeah...there are going to be consequences for that.

I don't see how to read that quote as anything but arguing for prosecuting people for drug crimes. And she did it over and over, responding to arguments about drug prosecutions with comments about possession cases.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 10, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't see how to read that quote as anything but arguing for prosecuting people for drug crimes. And she did it over and over, responding to arguments about drug prosecutions with comments about possession cases.

The issue you're running into is when you say "non-violent drug offenders" people parse that as "possession" because thats what people are usually referring to when they use that term and they're giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a moron who thinks its wrong to prosecute people for running criminal enterprises.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't see how to read that quote as anything but arguing for prosecuting people for drug crwe es. And she did it over and over, responding to arguments about drug prosecutions with comments about possession cases.

The problem is that you were saying "Why do you want to send people to jail for non-violent drug offenses?" when you meant that you think every single non-violent drug offense is immoral to prosecute irrespective of drug, quantity, or intent to distribute. But the way you phrased it sounded like you're asking why she wants to send every single non-violent drug offender to jail... Which isn't the case, as she's reasonably explained a dozen times now.

You were asking about drug offenses as if they were a homogeneous category of crimes, but Actus Rhesus (and most other normal people) see possessing a joint as different from large scale heroin manufacture.

You are bad at communicating.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

i'll say it explicitly then

i absolutely support prosecuting even low level drug dealers

not so much for possession

make of that whatever the gently caress you want

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem is that you were saying "Why do you want to send people to jail for non-violent drug offenses?" when you meant that you think every single non-violent drug offense is immoral to prosecute irrespective of drug, quantity, or intent to distribute. But the way you phrased it sounded like you're asking why she wants to send every single non-violent drug offender to jail... Which isn't the case, as she's reasonably explained a dozen times now.

You were asking about drug offenses as if they were a homogeneous category of crimes, but Actus Rhesus (and most other normal people) see possessing a joint as different from large scale heroin manufacture.

You are bad at communicating.

yeah but if this he took this into account his point would be pretty much null and void

i also support legalisation because all having them be illegal do is pushing money into the hands of the gangs

see why new zealand has major gang presences, because basically everyone smokes pot which they can't buy legally

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So basically the sentiment is "drugs should be legal, but as long as they aren't, gently caress it, might as well toss tens of thousands of petty criminals in prison"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

did you miss the part where i'm from new oh gently caress it i'm not doing this here
this is the wrong place dude i don't know why you came in here after i quoted you but i really can't be bothered arguing this with you

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani lady who got shot in the head for promoting female education, got the Nobel peace price today. I wonder how long it will be before someone back in Pakistan blows the rest of her brains out. That country appears to have made a point out of assassinating their own best and brightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

[..bare-legged afghans..]

Absolutely

a tiny bit of it may be the literalist religious dudes' fault, but I don't want to sound like a racist or nothing

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So basically the sentiment is "drugs should be legal, but as long as they aren't, gently caress it, might as well toss tens of thousands of petty criminals in prison"?

Yes. The law is dumb, but until the democratic process has fixed it you should follow the law. It's not like you are Rosa Parks fighting for your human rights, lighting up a joint instead of (legally) boozing like an intelligent person. This is not rocket science. Once we have fixed the law everyone dumb enough to be breaking it would be released, but until then; follow the law numbskull.

quote:

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani lady who got shot in the head for promoting female education, got the Nobel peace price today. I wonder how long it will be before someone back in Pakistan blows the rest of her brains out. That country appears to have made a point out of assassinating their own best and brightest.

Probably not too long. Best hope the whole martyr thing works as well for energizing the not-murderous rear end in a top hat part of the population as it does for the islamists. :smith:

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 10, 2014

• Locked thread