Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kild posted:

The first 10 hours are good, the combat can be annoying, the sidequests are annoying grind/fetch quests, the 'minigame' the main story makes you do in every town is hand holdy.

I played this game under a year ago and I'm amazed how little I remember about it, if that tells you anything about it. I'd say there are worse things you can spend strange foreign money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm looking through the PSN Store at the moment and Ni No Kuni is currently on there for £3.99, which is weird, but good. I've read some mixed things about it though, what's good/bad about it and will I like it? THANKS
The combat controls are poo poo and the party AI is stupid as a rock. It's a combination of all design mistakes the studio made or somehow avoided in DQ8 and Rogue Galaxy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I'm looking through the PSN Store at the moment and Ni No Kuni is currently on there for £3.99, which is weird, but good. I've read some mixed things about it though, what's good/bad about it and will I like it? THANKS
I'll tell you:

- Combat is inbetween turn-based and real time. You have the ability to move around on the battlefield to avoid direct hits, but you're still choosing attacks from a menu. You either battle as yourself (with lots of powerful magic) or you send one of your Pokemon-esque familiars in to fight for you, who each have their own abilities. No matter which Pokemiliar you send in, the HP/MP is based on your human's HP/MP, whereas STR/DEF/MDEF are based on the familiar's, so even though you can recruit a ton of familiars if you want to, you probably don't want to roll into battle with some really lovely familiars once you reach a high enough human level.

- it's really really beautiful although I wish there was more to the 1950s Americana town you occasionally visit instead of just one area

- Sidequests involve what are literally called Errands (at least they don't pretend otherwise) and monster bounties, each one you complete gives you points on your Subway Sandwich card and eventually you can hand in those cards to get perks like faster movement, per battle XP % increase, higher chance at rare item drops, and even a useless jump button. 90% of the errands are extremely quick and just involve giving a person the Emotion they're missing, which you'll usually have on you already because every town is full of people to get Emotions from.

- this is important for me, maybe it wont be for you, but you don't gain Fast Travel until 15 hours in. You do get access to a boat about 5-7 hours in, and then an 'airship' at the 10 hour mark, but Fast Travel is added way too late in the game imo. Save a lot of sidequests until you get the ability to warp around.

- As others have said, your AI teammates are not very bright. One of the mechanics of combat is knowing when to block against powerful attacks, which causes restorative HP/MP orbs to poop out of the enemy, and they TRY to assist you by giving you the ability to order your teammates to switch to All-Defense, but EVEN WHEN YOU SELECT THAT, I've found my teammates still doing offensive attacks and not blocking/defending. Very frustrating.

- okay I'll say it again no game looks as good as this on PS3, the art direction and monster design is fantastic (also the monster names are awesome)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 10, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Ni No Kini is absolutely worth it for that price — it's old school in a charming way and it has a really cool aesthetic. That being said it's SLOOOOWWW and features combat that would be kind of lovely even if the AI weren't dumb as rocks. With the dumb AI, it's an exercise in tedium and aggravation. The story is nothing to write home about but is, again, fairly charming. Your enjoyment will probably be proportional to your tolerance for grindy old school jrpgs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why are you considering this

stop it

It's Xenosaga

"Oh, so I guess that's what anime is, then." - Me, age 16, after completing Xenosaga Ep. 1.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

It has a datalog. Which is never a good sign, but the XS3 datalog is really helpful, with hyperlinks between articles. It gives a good summary of the plot and explains all the technobabble proper nouns. Better way to recap the plot than sitting through the hours and hours of XS1 and 2 cutscenes (aside from the few :krad: scenes like the Jin/Margulis fight in XS2)

It's also sorta required reading when you start the third game, because while 2 takes place right after 1, 3 takes place a year after 2, so you may as well skip the first two games. I think there's somewhat of an abridged version of what happened in that gap when you start the game without needing to open the datalog, but there's also stuff that is alluded to that you'd never know about otherwise.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

Ni No Kini is absolutely worth it for that price — it's old school in a charming way and it has a really cool aesthetic. That being said it's SLOOOOWWW and features combat that would be kind of lovely even if the AI weren't dumb as rocks. With the dumb AI, it's an exercise in tedium and aggravation. The story is nothing to write home about but is, again, fairly charming. Your enjoyment will probably be proportional to your tolerance for grindy old school jrpgs.

Having watched my wife play it, I will say that your enjoyment will be inversely proportional to your need to "Catch 'Em All!" This game is not Pokemon, and watching someone play it like it's Pokemon was painful.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, don't set your sights on any specific familiar. Its random to see them and random for them to want to join you with no way for you to influence this. This is more annoying when sidequests are you having several specific familiars (theres 1 for each town). Not to deter you from capturing a pirate cate or whatever but its going to take more time than you might think its worth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ni no Kuni is poo poo and 'charm' is a way of saying 'it has british accents.' The battles are god-awful, the story is bland and uninteresting, 'charming' or otherwise, the game is slow and tedious even outside of battle, and the 'puzzle solving' is just HMM, THIS PERSON NEEDS JOY. WHERE COULD WE GET JOY? OH, HERE IS JOY. *shoves joy into mouth* WOW, YOU GAVE THEM JOY, UNLIKE THIS GAME.

The game looks good but nothing about it is particularly imaginative, either. At least from what I played, it was nothing but countrysides, forests, and like one volcano. The setting just isn't interesting.

For about 6 USD you *could* buy the game and maybe kill a few hours, or you could, you know, not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also the only good Ghibli movie is Porco Rosso.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

You're a monster.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't say only but Rosso is easily my favorite.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

nodding my head until this hosed up post gave me serious whiplash

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Sakurazuka posted:

You're a monster.

Indeed. Most Gibli movies were at least good with some being great. Loved From Up on a Poppy Hill, for example, and that's not one of the more popular Gibli movies.

I enjoyed Ni No Kuni, and with a bit of effort you can get around dumb combat issues. I just think the game overall is obviously targeted at younger audiences then people in this thread. My 11 nephew loved it for example.

Overall I can of a lot worse ways to spend a pint's cost on a decent game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

Ni no Kuni is poo poo and 'charm' is a way of saying 'it has british accents.' The battles are god-awful, the story is bland and uninteresting, 'charming' or otherwise, the game is slow and tedious even outside of battle, and the 'puzzle solving' is just HMM, THIS PERSON NEEDS JOY. WHERE COULD WE GET JOY? OH, HERE IS JOY. *shoves joy into mouth* WOW, YOU GAVE THEM JOY, UNLIKE THIS GAME.

this echos my feelings with ni no kuni pretty much perfectly

not really tredding any new ground here, but i tried like hell to like it but it is bland, boring, and uninteresting [slow moving as well]. i ended up figuring out it is a literal game for children, and was not intended for adult gamer tastes and ideas of fun. it hand holds really hard and the battle system is just the worst and most unfun garbage, and there are no real "puzzles" in the game

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 10, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Wait how the gently caress were they gonna stretch out Xenosaga to 6 games? That sounds impossible.

Those three games we got were only supposed to be episodes I and II. The original concept was a series with three major story arcs of two episodes apiece, but because Takahashi had no loving clue how to properly pace himself when making a vast game, Episode I was only like 20%-30% complete when it was released, which really, really shows since the game just ended abruptly with no character arcs resolved. Then we had to get the cliffsnotes version of the remainder of the planned story for that first game put into episode II instead (and the original episode II's plot became episode III). It's really no wonder the series got canned.

In other words, stretching to 6 episodes is really easy because even after they crammed all that plot into the last game, we still only got barely a third of the whole plot.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 10, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really even going 'well it's for kids' isn't an excuse, Ni no Kuni has nothing but bright colors sustaining a kid's interest. If I was a kid I would have found the combat boring and slow as gently caress too, and also kind of condescending considering how blatantly obvious the game tries to make everything.

buy your children Good Games, please

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Well I bought it anyway because it's literally the cost of a return bus ticket, didn't really think about having to download 22GB over a lovely wi-fi connection though :wth:

who knows if I'll ever even get to play this lovely game! It's surprising how universally great all the reviews were for it though, when the opinion in here seems mixed to negative

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure using the term 'anime' as an adjective is meant as a pejorative, not a descriptor. For example, if the game contains 1000-year old demons in a 9-year-old's body, swords that are larger than a person (light beams don't count :colbert:), mecha gundams that shoot hundreds of missiles, protagonists that have yet to reach puberty saving the world (bonus if they're oversexualized), and/or clothing and boobs that defy all known knowledge about gravity and physics (as well as style), then the game is anime. See: Star Ocean 4, Hyperdimension Neptunia, et al.

If the game has a visual style similar to japanese animation, then it is not 'anime'. It is an anime-styled game.

That's always been my metric, anyway.

the fact that people who post stuff like this have usually never actually watched an anime before makes it even funnier

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Well I bought it anyway because it's literally the cost of a return bus ticket, didn't really think about having to download 22GB over a lovely wi-fi connection though :wth:

who knows if I'll ever even get to play this lovely game! It's surprising how universally great all the reviews were for it though, when the opinion in here seems mixed to negative

The thing about RPG reviews, especially JRPG reviews, is that a lot of reviewers only play the first 5-10 hours at most. The first 5 or so hours of NNK is easily the strongest part of the game where the flaws are least apparent.

I mean I won't say that none of them actually enjoyed it but reading the reviews it's really clear they got taken in by the charming-as-poo poo first part of the game and assumed it carried through to the end

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

icantfindaname posted:

the fact that people who post stuff like this have usually never actually watched an anime before makes it even funnier

Word. Plus, you can only describe "mecha gundams that shoot hundreds of missiles" as awesome.

Oh, and on Ni No Kuni, I liked the game and I played it all the way through. I thought it was "charming" and liked it despite the issues.

Also, not only my nephew but my friends kids aged 9 and 11 liked it and all three finished the game. They all love Pokemon, Naruto and Dragonball though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oblomov posted:

Word. Plus, you can only describe "mecha gundams that shoot hundreds of missiles" as awesome.
Yeah that's a loving selling point there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'mecha gundams' is what my grandma would call them, which makes the post own more

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Playing Xenoblade for the first time, with Japanese voices (since I've seen English bits a billion times by osmosis).

It's anime as gently caress, the british voices lied to your senses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Playing Xenoblade for the first time, with Japanese voices (since I've seen English bits a billion times by osmosis).

The clear answer is to give all JRPGs extremely British dubs.

I want Persona 5 to take place in the UK of Japan.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I think Ni No Kini is something reviewers sort of gave the benefit of the doubt because of the Studio Gibli pedigree. Nobody wanted to come out and say, "this game is poo poo and you're poo poo if you like it," because it would be like writing an angry, snarky review of a Dr. Seuss book or something. And yeah, it scores pretty well on the initial impression meter — it looks fantastic, has a great score, and pretty much everything it sets out to do seems really great and fun on paper — so if you played it for a couple hours as you worked through your backlog of reviews you'd probably have a more positive opinion of it then if you stuck around for the full 40 hours of tedious gameplay.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ImpAtom posted:

The clear answer is to give all JRPGs extremely British dubs.
Cor Blimey!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

british accents are one of the few things in the world more grating and insufferable than high pitched anime voices

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paperhouse posted:

Ni no Kuni is a bad, bad game, but it's probably worth running through on Easy, at least. I would strongly recommend avoiding any of the higher difficulties, though, since they require you to engage with the gameplay.

Tae posted:

It's pretty amusing that people try to pretend that Xenoblade isn't anime as gently caress, yeah. Still, man, that British VA added so loving much to that game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i have been thinking about playing xenosaga ep 1 again and finally beating xenosaga ep 2 just so i can see xenosaga ep 3 and why it inexplicably has a reputation for being not terrible

Xenosaga 3 is loving hilarious because it throws out any of the seriousness of the other two games and goes balls-to-the-wall stupid in terms of both combat moves and plotline, definitely play it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

icantfindaname posted:

british accents are one of the few things in the world more grating and insufferable than high pitched anime voices

I'M REALLY FEELING IT

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just bought a shitload of PS2 games and Okage Shadow King is already boring me even though I'm only 3 hours in. The battle system is really outdated even by early 2000's standards. If there's more than one of the same monster in a battle (which there always is), you can't target a specific one. It's just "Sewer Rat X 4." The dialogue is hilarious though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Okage is a hilarious game, but the game itself is kinda poo poo. If you can muddle through it then go for it but if you can't then don't.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I plan to spend this weekend playing through Ar no Surge and nothing any of you can say will ever stop me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dryzen posted:

I plan to spend this weekend playing through Ar no Surge and nothing any of you can say will ever stop me

why would i stop you?

ganbare, gamer

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm almost tempted to buy a ps3 again just to get back Demons Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes. I'm waiting for a goty edition of Dark Souls 2 to come out before I buy it (again...never order direct from Namco). Based on these 3 titles is there anything on PC anyone can recommend for me?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

icantfindaname posted:

Go gently caress yourself, mate.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

icantfindaname posted:

Haha I'm sure your local accent is just honey on the ears.

icantfindaname posted:

I'm no expert anime wizkid but I have watched my fair share of japanese cartoons.

codo27 posted:

I'm almost tempted to buy a ps3 again just to get back Demons Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes. I'm waiting for a goty edition of Dark Souls 2 to come out before I buy it (again...never order direct from Namco). Based on these 3 titles is there anything on PC anyone can recommend for me?

There's a game called Lords of the Fallen on Steam that's very similar to Dark Souls, though I hear it's definitely not as good. Might want to take a look at that. Also, Shadow of Mordor, maybe?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cake Attack posted:

im playing langrisser IV and my eyes kinda glazed over during the tutorial and now im wondering if there's something im not getting because im having troubles. enemies always outnumber me but aren't any weaker and there doesn't seem to be any way to know how a battle's going to go when i start it

am i just dumb?

i can take it.

e: okay it's not that hard really, i just was stupid and left almost no money for troops on the map you need to stop any enemy from escaping

If memory serves they changed Langrisser IV to have an AP-like system when they ported it to PSX, and one of the characteristics of that system is that battles where you need to prevent enemies from escaping can be a huge pain in the rear end, especially that one early on where you surround a village from three sides and have to psychically recognize that the huge majority of the enemy army breaks West.

Difficulty can also vary a lot depending on how you built Landius. He'll always range from overpowered to hilariously overpowered, but it's possible to kind of gently caress up his build, like by making him a mage and giving him a lot of personal attack boosts (defense is always the most important stat in Langrisser games, though) without knowing that mages in this game basically never get to attack normally due to the AP system. They also kind of suck for a while until they reach the Langrisser Mage Zone where two mages working together will smash an entire army with one spell each.

Usually just putting Landius on the stock cavalry route (which you get regardless of your character creation choices) is the better idea because the game won't let you have another cavalry-type commander for a while (while spear-type commanders barely exist), so he'll be your best bet for killing other strong cavalry-type commanders for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dryzen posted:

Play it on veteran or else it becomes stupidly easy stupidly fast, also the plot is kinda rough and ready until you hit the mid-part of the game and it starts getting really fucky. Otherwise it is a cool game for cool people that includes a ton of good talk topic / crafting dialogue.