Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Man Whore posted:

yes

After darksouls every lovely indie dev had to add "hard but fair" difficulty to their game even if it had nothing to do with action RPGs.

Dark Souls has truly ruined gaming forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jackard posted:

Can someone explain the point of "good positioning" if achieving it expends all of your energy

It ain't even about that, though. Like, here:

I got a gun, there's a guy above me with a melee weapon and he's gonna come after me. Do I run to the left, or to the right? What position do I take?

If I run to the left I'm boxed in and he's gonna cut me to ribbons 'cause I can't get range. Energy doesn't even play into it either way, it's just about making better choices about where to move.

If your can boost just whenever, then your positioning kinda doesn't matter 'cause you can bail out whenever you want. If your movement is more limited, then you gotta think things out a couple steps ahead like this, 'cause you know you may not have enough energy to use your dash tech to escape. Or, you may have to think "poo poo, do I want to just dash away and be safe, or go risky and try and finish him off" and perhaps make an interesting decision with consequences.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 10, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc because it was opposed to their cool plan of making ores being gated behind better picks/manipulator upgrades or something. We can let little johnny get this rock of fartmetallium from sand surfing! He hasn't even made the pissaluminum upgrade yet!

I'm sad that it's gone and will be cross with chucklefish until this assault on fun has been redeemed

probably never

Appropriate self quote

give it like 3 days after the stable update and modders will have sand mining back in again.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Games were loving hard before dark souls tho, you try finishing Ghosts and Goblins

Either make a fun sandbox game where people can play space lego with a rough gameplay added on or make a hard as balls side scroller, you can't do both chucklefucks

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Jackard posted:

Can someone explain the point of "good positioning" if achieving it expends all of your energy

That's easy, if you're using a gun and trying to get out of range of a mob's melee attack, then you use your tech to boost jump away and then.... you wait until your energy recharges so you can shoot I guess, maybe it plays better.

I don't have an account on the Starbound forums otherwise I'd suggest they make swinging melee weapons take energy too, just to see if they'd consider it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Not the delay between shots, that's an inherent quality of the sniper rifle.
I'm talking about the time between when he stops consuming energy and his bar starts charging again. If you look at the .gif he comes to a full stop and it's like a second and a half before his energy starts back.

Yeah, that's what I meant by delay between shots, sorry. Although I haven't played it I agree it looks like it's too severe a delay.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

XboxPants posted:

It ain't even about that, thought. Like, here:

I got a gun, there's a guy above me with a melee weapon and he's gonna come after me. Do I run to the left, or to the right? What position do I take?

If I run to the left I'm boxed in and he's gonna cut me to ribbons 'cause I can't get range. Energy doesn't even play into it either way, it's just about making better choices about where to move.

If your can boost just whenever, then your positioning kinda doesn't matter 'cause you can bail out whenever you want. If your movement is more limited, then you gotta think things out a couple steps ahead like this, 'cause you know you may not have enough energy to use your dash tech to escape. Or, you may have to think "poo poo, do I want to just dash away and be safe, or go risky and try and finish him off" and perhaps make an interesting decision with consequences.

Assuming a PvP situation melee guy will just spam his movement techs to catch up to ranged guy and beat his face in with his +3 longsword of star farts. Because he has the energy to spare on using them while ranged guy needs it to actually attack too.

No sorry he'll spam one movement tech because you can only use one at a time.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

It ain't even about that, thought. Like, here:

Ordinarily I would agree with you on this but Starbound's combat engine is not nearly robust enough to reward smart play, or any play that doesn't involve walking backwards while holding M1. They're trying to shoehorn in mechanics that they see and like from other games, while disregarding the fact that the reason that those mechanics work is because those games are built around them. Not, y'know, space Lego.

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant by delay between shots, sorry. Although I haven't played it I agree it looks like it's too severe a delay.
We're on the same page, then. Sorry I suck at explaining stuff clearly.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Good positioning? What is this a moba?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Ordinarily I would agree with you on this but Starbound's combat is not nearly robust enough to reward smart play, or any play that doesn't involve walking backwards while holding M1. They're trying to shoehorn in mechanics that they see and like from other games, while disregarding the fact that the reason that those mechanics work is because those games are built around them.

I think I can mostly agree with you there. I don't think this energy system makes combat good, but I think it's still a slight improvement. The game's so early right now, no single change is going to make it good. But I think it could be worthwhile to take the sorta-jank platforming-combat system they have now and give it a good spitshine & duct-tape finish, shoehorn in a few systems that make it at least a bit more interesting, even if it's not great.

Like, I was talking to metadept about the "samey treadmill" issue the game has where you always feel like you're fighting the same fights regardless of tier, since monsters pretty much take the same amount of shots to kill and etc. He agreed and said one thing he thought was a problem was "the essential way you fight with melee weapons doesn't change too much over the course of the progression". It'd be cool if melee weapons got more interesting somehow throughout the course of the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

It is now. Chucklefish wants those sweet dota dollars.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ahundredbux posted:

Yeah, positioning. So do you position yourself left or right?

Because you can only go left and right.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

XboxPants posted:

The game's so early right now,
:vince:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

you'll need good positioning to fight the pixel-perfect one-tile platform dungeon boss.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

give it like 3 days after the stable update and modders will have sand mining back in again.

What modders? After this long without any sort of stable release for them to work on, who is left that is still interested in the game, interested in modding the game, and willing and able to do the work?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Bullshit, how are you supposed to take advantage of positioning with no energy?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not like you run out of energy with any use of movement tech but it's also not as if starbound has anywhere near the amount of depth that "good positioning" is meaningful, on any level

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I long for the sweet embrace of sand avalanches

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

XboxPants posted:

The game's so early right now,

three years of development

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I bet we'll get that 8 months worth of early update real soon

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it would've been less embarrassing for Chucklefish if they had just taken the money and ran at this point.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I don't think we should get hung up on good positioning.
Because this space exploration game wants you to spend most of the time mining resources underground, most fights will happen in lovely caves and there is no good positioning. The only good position is one, where the AI jumps against a wall repeatedly and can't get to you, while you take potshots.

The only thing deep about Starbound's combat is the position it takes place in.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's like they get all these ideas and balance words from other developers but forget they're making a 2D platformer ??!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ahundredbux posted:

It's like they get all these ideas and balance words from other developers but forget they're making a 2D single-tile platformer ??!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

2D platformer whatever, that doesn't matter, you can make a tight 2d platformer, what really wrecks it is the procedural stuff like dogg was talking about. How you gonna tell players to worry about their positioning when they're in some randomly stupid generated cave whose positioning options are "stand on only available spot" or "jump into mystery hole"?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Good positioning is relevant when there are weapons that punish bad positioning, more than "next to melee mob equals bad". Timed/proxy grenades, acid spit, persistent fireballs/burning ground etc are all examples of Zoneing weapons (also called area control / area denial), and none are present in any form in Starbound.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

Good positioning is relevant when there are weapons that punish bad positioning, more than "next to melee mob equals bad". Timed/proxy grenades, acid spit, persistent fireballs/burning ground etc are all examples of Zoneing weapons (also called area control / area denial), and none are present in any form in Starbound.

I dunno if proxy are in, but I just saw someone in chat talking about getting a grenade launcher that used sticky timed grenades and asking what it could possibly be used for. What do you mean by "acid spit", ground stuff? Anyway, I think psi-staves may do a lot of the stuff you are talking about.

There's a pretty wide variety of grenades, you should test them out. I know there are at least acid grenades (as projectiles for guns).

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Oh no, those things very much exist. But only for the enemies :unsmigghh:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rrussom posted:

You are a loving reptile that does nothing but produce lovely Lets Plays.

Hey, this is the "poo poo on Starbound" thread, not the "poo poo on Lizard Wizard" thread. Take that poo poo to Nofriendo.

XboxPants posted:

The game's so early right now

That's a good joke.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

XboxPants posted:

2D platformer whatever, that doesn't matter, you can make a tight 2d platformer, what really wrecks it is the procedural stuff like dogg was talking about. How you gonna tell players to worry about their positioning when they're in some randomly stupid generated cave whose positioning options are "stand on only available spot" or "jump into mystery hole"?
it means build a bullshit fart tower out of dirt you can use to shoot enemies from at no risk to yourself

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
coincidentally, feel free to quickly surround yourself in dirt thus rendering yourself invulnerable and free to regenerate all health at any point

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

XboxPants posted:

The game's so early right now
I wish I made a lovely 2D indie game. I could be loving around with basic mechanics in a laughably incomplete game three+ years after development started and a year after selling the thing, and people would rush out of the woodwork to defend it anyway.

Those silly AAA developers with their "actual schedules" and "completed products" have no idea what they're missing out on.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ubisoft is catching on at least

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

God bless them.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know what to tell you guys. You can tell me that when I say the game is early, that that's an absolutely loving ridiculous joke, and that there's no way in hell a game that's been worked on for three goddamn years should still be this early in its dev cycle, and that Chucklefish is a bunch of chucklefucks for not knowing what the gently caress they were doing enough to have poo poo together at all.

You're all right about all of that, and I'm still right to call the game early.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gnomoria :colbert:

(Rho also worked on it)

Rho also worked on Rimworld which is p rad.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

XboxPants posted:

I don't know what to tell you guys. You can tell me that when I say the game is early, that that's an absolutely loving ridiculous joke, and that there's no way in hell a game that's been worked on for three goddamn years should still be this early in its dev cycle, and that Chucklefish is a bunch of chucklefucks for not knowing what the gently caress they were doing enough to have poo poo together at all.

You're all right about all of that, and I'm still right to call the game early.

When will it stop being "early" though?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ahundredbux posted:

When they pull a Doublefine and leave the rest of the work to Modders.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Never! That's the beauty of it. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Ahundredbux posted:

If they finish the basic components, like, say, the UI backend, which they finished two months ago. It's hard to tell by looking at a screenshot cause the art is pretty, but a lot of poo poo that makes the game go is still just placeholder. The cavegen was placeholder up until a couple months ago, for another example.

These very basic systems need to be created and aren't in the game yet. You think they're in the game, because there are tech-demo bullshit placeholders to allow you to test other things, but it's all illusion.

It's possible the game'll never be finished, and I guess using "early" could imply that it will be finished but goddamn don't be so loving pedantic, I just mean that it's extremely incomplete and everyone can agree to that.

• Locked thread