Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Did you make that hardware stack for your reddit post you nerd

I'm jealous though. I've been upgrading one piece at a time so I haven't looked at a big pile of shiny new stuff in years.

No! it was for you guys! :buddy:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you didn't buy all your poo poo on black friday you really missed out

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Equine Don posted:

If you didn't buy all your poo poo on black friday you really missed out

I really didn't. The prices for most of the stuff hardly changed. The i5 went up by 10 bucks. That was it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

holocaust bloopers posted:

I really didn't. The prices for most of the stuff hardly changed. The i5 went up by 10 bucks. That was it.

I calculated a couple hundred bucks in discounts and rebates for me. You have to mail poo poo in though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Surprise (huge) update for Elite today :toot:

Including the little brudder of space ships :downs:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gonna blow up so many of those.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Surprise (huge) update for Elite today :toot:

Including the little brudder of space ships :downs:

so it's worth buying?
i went to the website and it doesn't seem to be out yet

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Two Finger posted:

so it's worth buying?
i went to the website and it doesn't seem to be out yet

It's very much a niche game so this is subjective, but yes I'd say it's worth getting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Installing the cpu was nerve wracking.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

It's very much a niche game so this is subjective, but yes I'd say it's worth getting.

What do you do in it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Equine Don posted:

What do you do in it

I do a lot of space trucking. Just took a trip out to the Pleiades for shits and giggles.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Equine Don posted:

What do you do in it

i'm assuming it's based on the old elite (or escape velocity) so you're basically a space trucker

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

I do a lot of space trucking. Just took a trip out to the Pleiades for shits and giggles.

Is it like EVE where goons are super serious and creeping on each other because someone blew up their spaceship?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Equine Don posted:

Is it like EVE where goons are super serious and creeping on each other because someone blew up their spaceship?

I can't speak for the multiplayer aspects, I play solo.

Edit: Goons are bitching that they can't prey on people who have no chance of fighting back pirate how they want so there's that.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Installing the cpu was nerve wracking.

how was that nerve racking, don't the cpu's & motherboard sockets still have the offset pins on one side for guidance purposes?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tuluk posted:

how was that nerve racking, don't the cpu's & motherboard sockets still have the offset pins on one side for guidance purposes?

yeah but he couldn't get it to fit so he had to find the biggest rubber mallet he could and it was tough to swing in such a tight space without hitting his ram and hard drives

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Edit: Goons are bitching that they can't prey on people who have no chance of fighting back pirate how they want so there's that.

I just want to shoot spaceships in space I don't care who or what is driving it. Unfortunately bounty hunting and piracy both pay like poo poo in Elite and I don't want to be a garbage truck driver :colbert:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

You know, goons are some whiny bitches, but you gotta admit: it would be pretty rad if somebody made a game that was essentially Silent Hunter III in Space.

We all have dreams.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You know, goons are some whiny bitches, but you gotta admit: it would be pretty rad if somebody made a game that was essentially Silent Hunter III in Space.

We all have dreams.

Silent Hunter is the poo poo. There is nothing like the feeling of dread when depth charges explode all around you as you listen to the metal creaking from the emergency dive and change in pressure.

Also, I really enjoy surfacing and slowly destroying merchant vessels with the deck gun.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Ja wohl, Herr Kaleun!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alright I'm stuck. 24-pin connector is hooked up from PSU to mobo. Video card has power running from it to the PCI-E slots on the PSU. Ram installed, heatsink, cpu, everything. PSU is on with an HDMI cable plugged into a monitor. Shorting the power pins gets no response. What am I missing?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Alright I'm stuck. 24-pin connector is hooked up from PSU to mobo. Video card has power running from it to the PCI-E slots on the PSU. Ram installed, heatsink, cpu, everything. PSU is on with an HDMI cable plugged into a monitor. Shorting the power pins gets no response. What am I missing?

did you leave a screwdriver in the case.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Everything is sitting on the box.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

is there another powerdrop for the cpu fan? did you check the psu voltage setting?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tuluk posted:

is there another powerdrop for the cpu fan? did you check the psu voltage setting?

CPU fans are hooked up to the mobo. There was CPU power cable wasn't plugged in, but is now. Still no booting up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You said 24-pin PSU to mobo and PSU to video card. What about the 8-pin PSU to mobo?

CPU fans are hooked up to the mobo. There was CPU power cable wasn't plugged in, but is now. Still no booting up.

drat

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Edit:

Power!!!!!!

Jiggled the cables! Fans are all running. I am getting nothing on the display though. This is through HDMI. There is no motherboard speaker either. I'll have to install everything into the case to use that speaker.

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 11, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

which two pins are you shorting? power + gnd to the right or power + gnd below it?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Dunno if anyone here is playing DA:I or not, but public service announcement...if you're like me and usually just go get a snack or force shutdown your computer rather than sitting through Biolware's 20 minute un-exitable end credits....don't.

Post credit cut scene.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Check above.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're shorting the two marked in red, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Dunno if anyone here is playing DA:I or not, but public service announcement...if you're like me and usually just go get a snack or force shutdown your computer rather than sitting through Biolware's 20 minute un-exitable end credits....don't.

Post credit cut scene.

youtube means i don't bother with that poo poo anymore, especially with movies

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

youtube means i don't bother with that poo poo anymore, especially with movies

well, there's also that.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

sometimes it's easy to not fully seat the ram sticks, check those again.
thinking it's something power supply related, like a hidden switch on the side of the PSU you need to hit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit:

Power!!!!!!

Jiggled the cables! Fans are all running. I am getting nothing on the display though. This is through HDMI. There is no motherboard speaker either. I'll have to install everything into the case to use that speaker.

try reseating the video card. this thing got beep codes? it should tell you what it's not detecting.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

try reseating the video card. this thing got beep codes? it should tell you what it's not detecting.

Yea it oughta. I'm gonna hook everything up to the case speaker so I can get beeps.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

it may be defaulting to the embedded intel gpu.
aka switch the hdmi cable to intel gpu, go to bios, disable intel gpu, power down, reconnect hdmi cable to nvidia videocard.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

tuluk posted:

aka switch the hdmi cable to intel gpu, go to bios, disable intel gpu, power down, reconnect hdmi cable to nvidia videocard.
Probably this.

If not, try booting with only one stick of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tuluk posted:

Tried this. PSU turns on then off. Dunno if it's being finicky or there's something else.

• Locked thread