Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Banana_Boy posted:

Fairly certain LATCH is usually only in the left and right seats. Maybe it's on all 3 on larger vehicles? Our 2012 Accent and 2013 CX 5 both only have LATCH on the left and right rear seats.

Cursory googling tells me LATCH is the same thing as Isofix. Most cars simply aren't wide enough to have that in the middle seat. Even in our WV Touran where the middle seat looks very much full-width, it's actually just a few cm narrower than the others, so you can't fit in the hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

It's worth learning to do seatbelt installs regardless. You might travel and need to use a car that doesn't have LATCH anchors and your child will eventually be too heavy to use them. It's intimidating at first but very simple on most seats once you've done it a couple of times. And for some seats it's actually easier than the LATCH install. I would rather install the Cosco Scenara 20x using the seatbelt than have to do it once using the LATCH system.

Just remember that even when you install a seat forward facing using the seatbelt, you still use the top tether.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you get a solid install by using the left and right LATCH brackets, game on. I'm sure this will send the certified tech(tm) crowd into a fury. Use some common sense. If it's supposed to be pulling the seat straight back and the straps are at a 45 degree angle, that's not right, find an alternative. If you don't have the latchy-thing up top and you need that, find an alternative. But if all the parts are there - make it so.

Re: rashy butts

Leave little one un-diapered. I am amazed at how much even an hour at a time would help with diaper rash. Once we started using cloth diapers, we got rid of diaper rash entirely. YMMV.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

photomikey posted:

If you get a solid install by using the left and right LATCH brackets, game on. I'm sure this will send the certified tech(tm) crowd into a fury. Use some common sense. If it's supposed to be pulling the seat straight back and the straps are at a 45 degree angle, that's not right, find an alternative. If you don't have the latchy-thing up top and you need that, find an alternative. But if all the parts are there - make it so.

What in the world could make you think you have better judgement when it comes to what's safe than the national testing agencies? If it hasn't been tested and approved for a particular use, don't use it that way.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

photomikey posted:

What, why? If you don't have middle LATCH things and need your seat in the middle then install it with the seatbelt?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Like others have said, it's teaching standard Common Core concepts, just doing a really lovely job of it (and perhaps the teacher is too, since it's likely new to him/her this year). The concepts are solid and are designed to build toward more complex (algebra) concepts later, in addition to being very useful for mental math.

Personally I'd be more concerned about a first grader coming home with math worksheets at all. Studies have shown homework is non- (or even counter-) productive at that age (and arguably all the way through elementary school); he'd be much better off using that time for play with peers, exploring activities that interest him, or as family time - all of which are very important for developing child who has already spent six hours with rear end in seat. (I'm not a big fan of homework. I foresee some arguments with my brother when my nephew hits school age, though now that I think about it I could start working on him right now and ramp it up slowly... :hehe:). Math worksheets in particular. For those you have three outcomes:

A) He knows how to do the problems right already. The homework is pointless, boring busywork. :suicide:
B) He doesn't know how to do the problems, and has nobody around capable of teaching him. He does them incorrectly. The homework has just given him practice in how to do it wrong. :eng99:
C) He doesn't know how to do the problems, but has someone there who can teach him.

C seems like an OK case, but overall very few parents have the combination of time/ability/inclination to do it, and to compound that it's hard for someone who doesn't know/understand/have training in the curriculum to teach it properly (as you're currently experiencing). Add to that the limits to how much time per subject per day is productive (studies show younger children will only absorb so much, and after that additional time/work is exponentially less useful) and you've turned the home into an extension of the classroom (and the parent into an extension of the schoolteacher) and coopted time that should be used for other learning processes and for little or no return.

That said, if you're going to be in situation C you should ask the teacher for information on the curriculum and a copy of the textbook/workbook so that you can follow along and be ready to teach your kid when he comes home with classwork.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

C) He doesn't know how to do the problems, but has someone there who can teach him.

C seems like an OK case, but overall very few parents have the combination of time/ability/inclination to do it, and to compound that it's hard for someone who doesn't know/understand/have training in the curriculum to teach it properly (as you're currently experiencing).
Have you seen the Khan Academy-like "flipped" classroom?

Basically, the old way is to teach you to do long division for 50 minutes, then the bell rings and you get your homework and 4 hours later you get home and you give a great big "WTF?" and do all your homework wrong.

The new way is that you watch a 20 minute YouTube video at home (that is the same thing your teacher would have otherwise said in class), you glance at your "homework", then the next day in class with a credentialed professional there to help, you do your homework.

Heard Khan say this at a conference and it blew my mind.

Not sure if it has caught on anywhere, and it certainly doesn't apply for the first grader we are discussing (more for high-school), but still - great strides.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

frenchnewwave posted:

Oh hi! I just want to say that we must be mom twinsies because this sounds almost exactly like my situation. Except my daughter just turned two.

Unrelated, I need some diaper rash remedies. She has been sick and pooping more than usual and now her butt is an angry red and she's clearly uncomfortable. We've never dealt with this so severe and our usual all-natural toxin-free stuff isn't doing jack, and neither is A&D.

Penaten cream, or some other zinc-based ointment.

You put it on after patting the bum dry post diaper change and it creates a moisture barrier that prevents the rash, zinc also promotes healing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

photomikey posted:

Have you seen the Khan Academy-like "flipped" classroom?

Basically, the old way is to teach you to do long division for 50 minutes, then the bell rings and you get your homework and 4 hours later you get home and you give a great big "WTF?" and do all your homework wrong.

The new way is that you watch a 20 minute YouTube video at home (that is the same thing your teacher would have otherwise said in class), you glance at your "homework", then the next day in class with a credentialed professional there to help, you do your homework.

Heard Khan say this at a conference and it blew my mind.

Not sure if it has caught on anywhere, and it certainly doesn't apply for the first grader we are discussing (more for high-school), but still - great strides.

I've heard of it in passing, it does sound intriguing (but in large scale implementation it seems like if you're going to expect kids to sit through four or five 20 minute lectures at home every morning, you'd better be cutting the school day shorter).

The homework situation has actually been steadily improving over the past few years, in my local school district at least. I tutored a friend's middle schooler in the early 2000's and he had 3+ hours of homework a night; sometimes he'd be up until midnight. It was a loving nightmare. Another friend's kids are in middle school now and they (barring procrastination on big projects) have 45 minutes a night, max, and usually more like 20. Their teachers leave lots more time during class to work on homework (in a sense, their homework is just the classwork they didn't manage to get done) and they have a 20-minute Advisory period just before lunch where they can do any kind of homework and get help on it from their Advisory teacher. And because all the teachers that Advisory class full of random students, they actually get to experience how much & what kind of homework the other teachers are assigning.*

Last year one of the local elementary schools (one of the poorest in the city, whose parents are generally too overworked and/or undereducated for option C) instituted a complete homework ban. A few years ago a friend of mine who teaches 5th grade in a different district cut his kids' homework load by 3/4 (most of what is left is writing assignments that are written at home, critiqued in class, revised at home, etc.) and stopped doing vocab lists and spelling tests altogether (did you know those were proven useless by some of the first scientific studies of education in the 1880's, and modern research still backs that up? Why do we still do them?!) in favor of more reading and discussion time. It's been working great.

Now if only we could get rid of standardized testing, we might be getting somewhere...

* This reminds me of a funny anecdote in Kohn's The Homework Myth. Paraphrased from memory: A parent of a middle-school girl who was getting 3-4 hours of homework a night kept complaining to her teachers and each one would say (based on the "10 minutes of homework per grade level" - an adage which incidentally was entirely made up because it sounded clever) that 60 minutes per night was appropriate and no way did they ever assign her more than that. He finally got fed up and insisted on having a meeting with the principal and her 5 teachers present together, where of course they all again agreed that 60 minutes per night was appropriate and they'd never give more than that. At which time he said, "There are five of you and each one of you gives her 30 to 60 minutes of homework a night. Do the math!" The teachers were stunned. It had never occurred to them to think of their students beyond the confines of their own classrooms (or at least nobody has ever confronted them on it in a way they couldn't ignore).

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Oh hi! I just want to say that we must be mom twinsies because this sounds almost exactly like my situation. Except my daughter just turned two.

Unrelated, I need some diaper rash remedies. She has been sick and pooping more than usual and now her butt is an angry red and she's clearly uncomfortable. We've never dealt with this so severe and our usual all-natural toxin-free stuff isn't doing jack, and neither is A&D.

We use Aquaphor, at the first sign of a rash, and haven't had any major problems.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

photomikey posted:

No. For anyone else reading this, if your car seat manufacturer OR car manufacturer doesn't have center latch and does not allow latch borrowing (using one from each side) then do not do it. They are tested at the widths they are at(standing spacing) and unless your car and car seat both state latch borrowing is ok, then either the seat was tested using latch borrowing and failed or it was not tested at all and you are taking on the role of crash test dummy.

Do not do this.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I know photomikey doesn't care since "you have to be stupid to use a seat incorrectly" and probably is going to use the outside seat latch anchors in the middle anyway but, for the rest of you, this hasn't been tested to be safe unless your car manual and car seat manual both say it is OK. So please install correctly and be safe. :)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Duct tape your child to the seat. Much cheaper than buying a car seat.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Volmarias posted:

Duct tape your child to the seat. Much cheaper than buying a car seat.

I just fill my car with balloons. In case of accident they'll have all the airbags they need, right? Plus it entertains them.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

frenchnewwave posted:

Haha, yeah :( My husband keeps warning me that she'll be in our bed until she leaves for college. Anyway, thanks all for the advice. We are working on a plan of action and I might swing by here and get some thoughts on it before we implement it.

For the bad diaper rash: if it's really stubborn, I would get your pediatrician to check it out. Ours would sometimes turn out to be a yeast infection.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

newts posted:

Haha, yeah :( My husband keeps warning me that she'll be in our bed until she leaves for college. Anyway, thanks all for the advice. We are working on a plan of action and I might swing by here and get some thoughts on it before we implement it.

Just keep reminding yourself that you're not traumatizing her and you're not being mean, you're giving her and yourself more and better quality sleep. At two years of age she does NOT need food during the night - at all. You're not depriving her of anything. It's part of our job as parents to do what's best for our children, even when it's not what they want. You wouldn't worry about traumatizing her if she woke up during the night and demanded to go to the playground, eat ice cream or watch a cartoon, and that is basically what nighttime boob is at this point - something she likes and wants, but has no reason to expect to get in the middle of the night.

There will be screaming. You're taking away something she wants, there is no way to do that without pissing her off ;)
But you're doing the right thing and you're doing what's best for her and you and your husband.

Good luck! Changing routines is no fun, but you'll all sleep better and be happier at the end of it :)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My wife can't pump as much at work anymore, so we're switching to one bottle of formula a day. It's been fine at home for the last month or so, so we decided to switch to formula at daycare today since it would save us the hassle of having to bring milk everyday. However, I just got a call from daycare saying she wouldn't take it. Anyone run into a similar problem? Quick Google search was only turning ups how to transition to the bottle, but that isn't the issue.

Edit: and to clarify, she's been fine on the bottle with breast milk at daycare for months, this appears to be formula specific.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 8, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How much did they try? That's pretty fast to just jump to "She won't take it" especially since she takes it from you. Is this the premixed bottles? Or are they mixing it there? If so, maybe they're doing it different than you.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

greatn posted:

How much did they try? That's pretty fast to just jump to "She won't take it" especially since she takes it from you. Is this the premixed bottles? Or are they mixing it there? If so, maybe they're doing it different than you.

It was two bottles today. They are mixing it there. They just called to see if I did anything special when prepping it, so they are working on it. It just caught me off guard that she wouldn't take it, so I was wondering if it was a common problem.

Worse comes to worse we'll try to mix it with breast milk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hope this is the last holter-EKG we'll need to take with David (and it ought to be), they just keep getting worse as he grows, now he's trying to pull the wires off, before when he was younger and more of a meatloaf it was no problem.

The EKG device is in the backpack.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Had our first Santa visit yesterday! Went fine. We got there just as Santa was taking an unscheduled 45 break so we were pretty certain she'd meltdown before he got back, but she did great. Although she was tired as hell and didn't smile a smidge while in Santa's lap. We looked hilarious all doing a song and dance to get her to smile while she just looked at us with those "you have got to be kidding me" eyes.

And then, while waiting in line, she ripped one of the stinkiest farts ever. I actually had to apologize to people in the line. Good God that baby got some farts.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Had our first Santa visit yesterday! Went fine. We got there just as Santa was taking an unscheduled 45 break so we were pretty certain she'd meltdown before he got back, but she did great. Although she was tired as hell and didn't smile a smidge while in Santa's lap. We looked hilarious all doing a song and dance to get her to smile while she just looked at us with those "you have got to be kidding me" eyes.

And then, while waiting in line, she ripped one of the stinkiest farts ever. I actually had to apologize to people in the line. Good God that baby got some farts.

My one and only picture with Santa I did not smile. Possibly because my mom said I had just filled my diaper with the stinkiest load imaginable. Merry Christmas, Santa!

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Math homework chat: Thanks for the input, folks. As far as things people brought up--I'm not concerned about the amount of homework he gets at this point, although that will absolutely be on my radar as time moves on. 1-2 brief worksheets a week doesn't bother me, and is well within his capabilities to finish quickly. On that one even, he would have been done in about 90 seconds, if he could just write the answer and skip the other stuff. ("Mom, I know the answer is 7, can I just write 7?" Yeah kiddo, welcome to how math always was for Mom and Dad.) I know they're just tearing a practice page out of their school workbook to bring home and they do the rest of the unit's workpages in class. I don't really care about that either, but maybe a semester overview in advance for the parents would be helpful--especially seeing as to how teaching methods have changed. (I think that's what I'm going to suggest, re: Finnoula.)

I had to mull it over for a bit to figure out what bugged me about the sheet, in a much more granular way, and I think what it was was that the "trick" of using 10's to make math easier would make much more sense once they move on to numbers bigger than they can count on their fingers. Breaking down a single digit number even further just doesn't make much sense--it's already the simplest unit it can be. Also, in general, trying to teach a method that mimics how someone may do math in their heads is tricky, since that may not actually be the method a person would organically come up with for themselves. (I mentally break down numbers into parts relating to 5's and 10's, but not at all like they were explaining, for instance.)

The next unit is breaking down larger numbers into 10's and 1's. Teaching that first, and then teaching the methods of addition and subtraction relating to being able to break down numbers into parts seems more logical. Tim's good at math. We've already taught him conceptually about variables, negative numbers, and fractions/decimals; I'm sure we'll all figure it out. (His spelling on the other hand! :bang:)

New topic: I think I ask this here every year. What do I get my developmentally delayed niece for Christmas? Asking her parents isn't super helpful (because she'll be fine, catch up, she doesn't need a PECS board, nothing to see here, it's not relevant...) She's 5, non verbal, limited fine motor skills. She doesn't need clothes. ;) Last year I got her a couple sets of wooden, magnet, dress up dolls. I've gotten her picture books, puzzles, blocks, in the past.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

AlistairCookie posted:

New topic: I think I ask this here every year. What do I get my developmentally delayed niece for Christmas? Asking her parents isn't super helpful (because she'll be fine, catch up, she doesn't need a PECS board, nothing to see here, it's not relevant...) She's 5, non verbal, limited fine motor skills. She doesn't need clothes. ;) Last year I got her a couple sets of wooden, magnet, dress up dolls. I've gotten her picture books, puzzles, blocks, in the past.

When my son was little, he loved the the big chunky Lego blocks specific made for little kids (DUPLO). He was very very delayed in his fine motor skills, but with some assistance, he was able to play with them and really enjoyed them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Welp, the daughter was just being fussy the first day of formula at daycare. Second day didn't have any issues with it at all. Babies are weird.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

AlistairCookie posted:

I am a fan of "doing" gifts rather than things. Museum memberships, tickets for Disney on Ice, swim lessons, etc. Kids don't need more things, regardless of their abilities.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Earlier in the thread someone suggested that the Minnie mouse crawling toy might've taught their kid how to crawl. Well, it convinced me to get it. It's been 2 weeks since we got the toy and our 6 month old is now crawling. So it seems like it may have helped my kid as well. Thanks for that recommendation!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AlistairCookie posted:

The author of the blog Love That Max does a "holiday gifts for kids with special needs" guide every year that's pretty good (I say this as the parent of a developmentally delayed child). Here's the one from this year: http://www.lovethatmax.com/2013/11/holiday-gifts-for-kids-with-special.html
Also, Toys R Us puts out a "Toy Guide for Differently-Abled Children" that is searchable by the specific skill each toy supports. http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3261680

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 11, 2014

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Can we talk "time out"? My daughter is 2. She's very well behaved (as much as a 2 year old can be "good" or "bad") but is learning to test limits. Right now she's learning to grab things and say "mine mine" and not give them back. Or she'll continue to touch something she's not supposed to (like the Christmas tree that she ended up knocking over). I've never tried time out and wondering if this is a good age to start or still too young?

Again, I understand she's being a normal toddler and doesn't need much discipline. Just thinking about the few times when she throws a little toddler tantrum and how to address that in a more AP way. (Yelling doesn't work even if I wanted to try. She laughs at me. And there is no spanking.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

frenchnewwave posted:

Can we talk "time out"? My daughter is 2. She's very well behaved (as much as a 2 year old can be "good" or "bad") but is learning to test limits. Right now she's learning to grab things and say "mine mine" and not give them back. Or she'll continue to touch something she's not supposed to (like the Christmas tree that she ended up knocking over). I've never tried time out and wondering if this is a good age to start or still too young?

Again, I understand she's being a normal toddler and doesn't need much discipline. Just thinking about the few times when she throws a little toddler tantrum and how to address that in a more AP way. (Yelling doesn't work even if I wanted to try. She laughs at me. And there is no spanking.)

Mostly your probably best off with deflection. Grab a toy and start playing, tickle her, etc. something that moves her away from the undesirable behavior. If you feel she'll understand a timeout, and you feel its worthwhile, ie you've tried to deflect/admonish hitting etc and she is doing it again and again on purpose, then a very brief timeout may be in order. 30-60 seconds is probably max. What we do is we always try to explain. We'd put our boy in timeout for a minute, then go to him and kneel and say "now you know you were put in time out because you were hitting. hitting isn't nice. Are you sorry?" It probably isn't very effective at first, but we want to reinforce the idea of the punishment was because of X. We probably use timeout once a week, if that often. My son is 3.5 now, so sometimes he decides to test and when he is willfully disobedient more than twice about some issue we move to time out in a corner.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just my opinion, but children with limits are happy children. Children without limits are not. Is she breaking a rule? A time-out may be appropriate. We do 1 minute per year. Being consistent and firm doesn't require yelling, but it will establish (positive) boundaries.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

frenchnewwave posted:

Well, it gives you something proactive to do anyway. The thing about timeouts is that they have all the effect they are going to have in not much time at all. Might depend on how patient or introspective your kids are, but in my experience a 1 minute time out is as good as a 5 minute time out. The point is to interrupt the stimulus that is causing them to make bad decisions, not punish them.

Of course, if you need more than a minute to get your poo poo back under control, then that is also a consideration. But long time outs I think are not terribly useful as interruption or punishment, because again, in my experience, they will be in some whole other mental place 5 minutes from now, so a 20 minute timeout is a 2 minute time out and 18 minutes of "I forget, where were we again? can I come out now?!".

Kinda like prison, "you only do two days, the day you go in, and the day you come out", so stretching the sentence out is not that useful.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 11, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

You're going to get a ton of different answers. I know Dr. Karp (Happiest Baby on the Block) believes in starting short time outs at 1 year old. Dr. Karp also recommends the "clap-growl" (just what it sounds like, a loud clap and then growl at them) as a deterrent for this age. Our daycare, which has around 30 kids at a time and has been around for 30 years and so has WAY more experience with kids than I will ever have, has told us they don't believe time outs are effective at this age. Personally, we've put our 2-year-old in a time out once in his life and I think it was pointless. Aside from a 2-week period of crazy tantrums at around 22 months, he's generally a very happy and well-behaved kid, so we're doing fine without time outs.

For the grabbing: If it's something dangerous, well then no compromises, you take it from them. If it's something that's not dangerous, I think getting into a big battle over it is counterproductive. Demonstrating that physically taking something from someone is okay is just a good way to teach them that that's what to do when they want a toy that another kid has, so save it as a last resort/only when necessary thing.

For the touching things: I find ignoring the behavior you don't want is the best bet. Our kid will look at us with a mischievous grin while he does what he knows we don't want him to do (throw food on the ground, squirt milk out of his mouth, tear pages out of a book); what he really wants is to see our reaction. If he doesn't get a reaction, then the behavior disappears very quickly. If it's a dangerous behavior, then just make it unavailable either by removing the object or gating off the area or whatever.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My mom when watching 2 year old littledip tried time outs with him. He would do something he wasn't supposed to then yell TIME OUT and run laughing to get his little chair and sit in it. :)

I do put his toys in timeout sometimes. He knows what it means and will usually stop mis-behaving if I tell him something like. "Don't run into the dog with your dumptruck or I'm going to have to put your dumptruck in time out."

I do find that just mis-directing him works best though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone here used that ABCMouse.com service? My two year old girls are in love with the Bubble Guppies and that company seems to plaster themselves all over NickJR programming. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to that much screen time, but I guess the advertising is starting to batter me down since with every commercial I start thinking more and more about their service...

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone here used that ABCMouse.com service? My two year old girls are in love with the Bubble Guppies and that company seems to plaster themselves all over NickJR programming. I wouldn't want to expose my kids to that much screen time, but I guess the advertising is starting to batter me down since with every commercial I start thinking more and more about their service...

What is this service you speak of?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I see it in front of every Curious George too. It's like an educational flash game website from what the commercials look like. Except, probably HTML5 or whatever.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's plenty of educational game websites that are free. My kids school sent home a friggin list of them. Don't have it on me right now. I wouldn't pay for em

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah seriously if you want educational games websites don't pay for what you can get for free. My kids occasionally used starfall when they were pre-K for their alphabet and phonics games. The one they really like now is cool math games which they still play all the time without my even prompting them (the games there are p. fun). I think coolmath has a section for pre-k stuff too. Don't be thrown off by the late 90's look of the websites, the design overall may suck but the games are sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ynglaur posted:

Just my opinion, but children with limits are happy children. Children without limits are not. Is she breaking a rule? A time-out may be appropriate. We do 1 minute per year. Being consistent and firm doesn't require yelling, but it will establish (positive) boundaries.

Oh hey, I've been wondering where the goons with kids thread is.

My kid will be 2 in march. We do short time outs usually when she's being defiant. Goes like this:

Me: *Asks her to do something*
Her: NO!
Me: I'm asking you nicely. Please do [something] or you will go to time out.
Her: NO!
Me: OK. Time out.

*After 1-5 minutes*

Me: Are you ready to talk? OK. I love you very much, but you need to listen to mommy. I asked you to do [something] are you ready to do it now?
Her: Yeah.
Me: OK. Well then why don't you do it now, and when you are finished, we can read a story/play/whatever.

I know some people think I'm nuts trying to impose minor chores on a toddler and being so rigid on the "do as your told" thing, but my husband is deployed right now, and I work full time, so cutting out as many battles as possible is a huge burden off of me. Even little poo poo like "can you pick up your toys" and "can you go pick out some snacks for your lunchbox" and "can you get your coat and shoes" add up.

the important thing I think, with discipline is you have to also reinforce that you love them, they are not a "bad kid" they are just doing something you don't like, and talking to kids like people, not babies, goes a long way.

(Not saying I'm a perfect mom...I also drop a lot of F bombs in front of her.)