Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
As sad as I am about the Krampus' Head change, the thing was way too powerful and seems to show up once every few runs. It will make the blindfold challenges even tougher though. :argh:

E: Honestly, I can see where Ed is coming from with the changes, in that he's trying to make the game less reliant on a handful of superpowered items. The changes don't make the game worse, just less of a crapshoot.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Almost everything about this patch makes the game worse. Please stop, Edmund.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
He's still punishing the community for datamining The Lost

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
I think this patch is fine and it fixes a lot of exploits and stupid mechanics. Stupid mechanics like no keys on hard runs. Or OP Krampus Head.

Fixing seeded challenges is one of the best parts. gently caress all y'all.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GenericGirlName posted:

Thanks! I hope the "dark bum mechanics" one means that he can drop the correct kind of hearts in super secret rooms full of hearts.

This has probably been mentioned before, and who knows if this new patch changes how it works, but you can cheese spirit hearts out of those rooms with Dark Bum by going into the SSR, letting him pick up one red heart and then exiting the room. Any hearts he spits out outside of the SSR will be spirit hearts. Repeat as necessary. It takes a while, but it's saved my game several times.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I just hope the patch fixes the unlocks on the PS4.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

This has probably been mentioned before, and who knows if this new patch changes how it works, but you can cheese spirit hearts out of those rooms with Dark Bum by going into the SSR, letting him pick up one red heart and then exiting the room. Any hearts he spits out outside of the SSR will be spirit hearts. Repeat as necessary. It takes a while, but it's saved my game several times.

He'll actually go around picking up all the hearts, then return to you before he starts dropping them. So you can safely let him scoop all the red hearts up, exit the room, and then he'll drop a bunch of soul hearts at once. It's a lil' faster.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
All I want is to be able to hold r to restart with Eden :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dark Bum still "pays out" afterr 1.5 red hearts. But it now has a chance of giving you nothing, or throwing spiders in your face.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Only change I disapprove of here is the fly mechanic change. Infinite flies was one of the things I was most looking forward to in Rebirth. As for everything else: bring it on! :getin:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Well I just got burned by the change to soul heart deals without reading the changes (since they aren't on the steam announcement page for whatever reason?) now taking deals for more soul hearts than you have definitely kills you (unless the thing you are trading for gives you a heart probably).

vvv you mean 5 soul hearts, since it take 1.5 red hearts for him to spit out a soul heart vvv

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

Super Secret rooms can have:

- 8 red hearts (with only red hearts spawnable in the room, such as if you have Dark Bum to exchange them, for example)

Keep in mind that if you have your beggar pick up all the hearts in the room and leave before he can start dropping them you'll end up with eight soul hearts (or a combination of soul and evil hearts totaling in eight). Really useful room.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here's some known changes.

Well I hope anyone that was trying to do The Lost wasn't reliant on the Holy Mantle.

^:argh:

What was the Holy Mantle exploit with the Lost?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

This is the exact same thing that happened to the first game. Tons of patches were devoted to patching out interesting / fun / overpowered exploits that a player could opt not to use. The first real incentive (adding interesting things) to run the game fully updated, from steam, instead of from a standalone EXE like a humble bundle copy was when the expansion dropped.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Kurtofan posted:

What was the Holy Mantle exploit with the Lost?

If you took damage with holy mantle active you could quit and reload and it would be active again. It wasn't specifically just on the lost, but the lost was the only one anyone cared enough to do it on.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Lester Shy posted:

Spiffo posted:

He'll actually go around picking up all the hearts, then return to you before he starts dropping them. So you can safely let him scoop all the red hearts up, exit the room, and then he'll drop a bunch of soul hearts at once. It's a lil' faster.

Yea I know about that, it would just be cool if the game worked, ya know?

MessiahForHire
Oct 15, 2012
Heck yeah, just had my first Mega Satan kill as Eden, no less! I started off with Ipecac and the Satanic Bible, and things only got stupid from there as I got both Infestation 2 and Guppy Mode.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

GenericGirlName posted:

Yea I know about that, it would just be cool if the game worked, ya know?

It worked the same way in the original game, so I imagine it's an intended quirky mechanic. Unless this patch changes it, which I doubt.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Fixed P2 being able to use bombs

gently caress you. :mad:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like most of the fixes. The Haunt not being invincible for the first few frames is something I'll miss. It only really mattered when you were powerful enough to kill it in one hit, and when you were, it was a great feeling.

quote:

Limit Halo of Flies count to 10
Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges
Improve Dark Bum mechanics

The flies thing sucks. Probably a matter of the Vita version lagging when it happened, to be honest.

Lil' Brimstone is two hearts? I hate that item anyway. Just a personal preference.

Krampus's head is six rooms now? That's fine - it's now just a boss killer instead of just an "ehhh this room is mildly annoying" button.

Dark Bum can give nothing or spiders now? I guess I'll not pick that up unless I'm Blue Baby and need a semi-reliable source of spirit hearts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dark Bum can also give out friendly spiders as well as enemy spiders. So he's more like a beggar instead of a straight heart to soul heart converter. He still only costs one red heart, but the Mitre is a more reliable way of getting Soul Hearts now.

As for the Halo of Flies thing, I don't know what that's referring to. It's not referring to the blue flies at all. I tested it out, and I had way more than 10 of those things when I tried out Guppy. The only thing I can think of is that the Pretty Fly limit got increased from 3 to 10, but I'm not too sure on that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That wouldn't make any sense though. Not only do 3 orbitals give you basically 100% protection from projectiles, but it says 'limit'.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Brett824 posted:

Almost everything about this patch makes the game worse. Please stop, Edmund.

pretty much.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So blue flies are NOT capped. The Polaroid and Negative positions have changed though! Left and right instead of top and bottom.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I think it's more about punishing the average player because streamers that have played the game for 2000+ hours break it on a consistent basis.

A lot of the poo poo in Rebirth seems like an answer to people going 500 kills without any deaths in the original.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
On the one hand, it's annoying that they are apparently more concerned with stopping exploits than getting rid of potentially unpassable rooms. On the other hand, fixing drop rates for Hard Mode is very welcome news and I may switch to Hard exclusively now.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
these changes can gently caress off

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dark Bum still "pays out" afterr 1.5 red hearts. But it now has a chance of giving you nothing, or throwing spiders in your face.

Seriously? gently caress that.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

in spite of the fact they were like a matter of days from unlocking it anyway, like I know this is a joke post but I'm mad and still want to reiterate that he was a huge baby who underestimated his playerbase.

these patch notes suck, your game has unavoidable damage and room layouts that can just end runs by themselves and they're instead choosing to gut items that are merely quite good, gently caress is even the point? That's not balance, in a game like this it's perfectly OK for some items to just be better than others because a game full of entirely mediocre items is really boring and Dark Bum already went from completely run-shattering good to "still pretty good" with the existing nerf and surely that's good enough?

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dark Bum can also give out friendly spiders as well as enemy spiders. So he's more like a beggar instead of a straight heart to soul heart converter. He still only costs one red heart, but the Mitre is a more reliable way of getting Soul Hearts now.

As for the Halo of Flies thing, I don't know what that's referring to. It's not referring to the blue flies at all. I tested it out, and I had way more than 10 of those things when I tried out Guppy. The only thing I can think of is that the Pretty Fly limit got increased from 3 to 10, but I'm not too sure on that.

What the gently caress they ruined Dark Bum.

I don't get why they have no problem making bad items but "too good" items are over the line.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I have a problem with that mentality for tweaking items. Rather than bringing down the good stuff to be more in line with the bad, you should make everything good.

Except the Lost, of course.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I still love you Dark Bum.
You are my best friend. Jesus doesn't love me. Dark Bum does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

That kinda makes it sound like he's never worth picking up anymore, unless you're playing Blue Baby or something and feeling extremely desperate.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

edit: ate my post

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 10, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Harrow posted:

That kinda makes it sound like he's never worth picking up anymore, unless you're playing Blue Baby or something and feeling extremely desperate.

nah he's still alright but he's gone from "run definingly powerful" --nerf #1-> "still pretty good" --nerf #2--> "meh" for absolutely no good reason on the second nerf.

He only costs one heart which is still probably worth it, just goddamn is that a completely uncalled for nerf on an item that got soundly knocked out of insta-win tier with the initial nerf.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
According to someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, the "halo of flies" being capped in this context are the pink enemy flies that form circles. :)

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

nah he's still alright but he's gone from "run definingly powerful" --nerf #1-> "still pretty good" --nerf #2--> "meh" for absolutely no good reason on the second nerf.

He only costs one heart which is still probably worth it, just goddamn is that a completely uncalled for nerf on an item that got soundly knocked out of insta-win tier with the initial nerf.

Eh, he still seemed to be in the insta-win tier to me, pretty much. My recommended fix would have been "3 hearts = 1 black heart", but eh.

Can we have a familiar that eats soul hearts and shits heart-masks?

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 10, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

zolthorg posted:

This is the exact same thing that happened to the first game. Tons of patches were devoted to patching out interesting / fun / overpowered exploits that a player could opt not to use. The first real incentive (adding interesting things) to run the game fully updated, from steam, instead of from a standalone EXE like a humble bundle copy was when the expansion dropped.

What interesting fun exploit got patched out?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Not super keen on the Dark Bum change. It could be a little OP at the 1.5:1 conversion, but I wouldn't have picked it out as particularly notable. Are they able to mine metrics about what items people are using to win the game? I'd be interested to know what's driving the balance changes (and hoping it's more than Edmund making weirdly petty moves)

Got IPECAC, Monstro's Lung and Cricket's Body.

Carpet bombing mode.

Managed to get two Dollar pickups in the same run right before this, then Greed, Super Greed, and a shop full of garbage. Thanks game!

edit: why doesn't something like Crack the Sky get patched, if we're just arbitrarily picking things? It's virtually pointless and seems to be pretty rare for no reason

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2014

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Testing Dark Bum, he still seems to give soul hearts a pretty big majority of the time. Definitely worth taking, even if it's only 50% (which kinda seems low, more like 75%ish).

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Brett824 posted:

Testing Dark Bum, he still seems to give soul hearts a pretty big majority of the time. Definitely worth taking, even if it's only 50% (which kinda seems low, more like 75%ish).

This. Just finished a run with him, he gives out spirit hearts 75-90% of the time. Stop overreacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, Dark Bum is still one of the most powerful items in this game. Just not quite as ridiculous as he used to be, which suits me just fine.

Speaking of ridiculous, getting the I Am Error room in the Chest or Dark Room is kind of silly.