Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, that posturing at the end where someone's like "were we so especially terrible?" and the specter says "oh hey good point maybe I should destroy the world" is an especially eye-rolling sign-off. It's not exactly bad-rear end to say shades of grey are hard so kill everyone, from the soldiers down to the children and newborns in their mothers' arms. And if Heaven then acquits him that just sounds like some kind of embarrassing, adolescent pseudo-philosophy.

Badassery is hard to define, though, I suppose your mileage will vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chinaman7000 posted:

On one hand, I think Ostrander is one of the best writers the medium has been lucky to have, and I also really liked scenes I've seen of his Spectre run in a lot of places.

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but what message is even being conveyed there?

edit: also the Flash should totally be Quicksilver fast, not literal lightspeed fast. Thanks for listening.

It makes more sense when you realize The Spectre is more about Vengeance than Justice. He's literally (in the comics anyway) the spirit responsible for killing the firstborn children of Egypt (yeah, from that story).

So you basically end up with stories about how that particular spirit would react to specific semi-modern situations. He isn't meant to be thought of as an actual hero so much as a foil against which to judge a society in which specific situations can happen.

Like the bit about how the people endorsing and supporting a death penalty are all guilty of murder if they ever execute an innocent man.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wade Wilson posted:

He isn't meant to be thought of as an actual hero so much as a foil against which to judge a society in which specific situations can happen.

Oh good, my only real exposure to the Spectre is from Kingdom Come, and these stories were making him out to be a pretty :stare: hero. Like vaporizing the whole of BosniaVlatava would be pretty horrific even if it was about military forces and didn't explicitly show collapsing buildings on children.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Two from Hickman's Secret Warriors that demonstrate that Nick Fury is a badass. Not a hero in any sense of the word, not someone to admire or to emulate or even to be happy he exists. Just someone who always does what he thinks is right for the bigger picture, no matter how hosed up that is. Hydra has co-opeted SHIELD and Nick Fury is trying to deal with that.

First, SHIELD is now HAMMER. Stark's out, Osborne's in — yup, the Green Goblin is in charge of what was SHIELD. But Fury (and the Howling Commandos PMC) want some Helicarriers. Only thing is, plenty of SHIELD folks stayed behind and accepted the change in management. Naturally, this leads to a bit of a difference of opinion, and a demonstration that Nick Fury has no time for other points of view.

Second, the very end of the series. Everything from the series is explained (no mean feat in and of itself, but Hickman can tie a story together), and you're left with Fury and Strucker. Two people. One room.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Secret Warrior Dark Reign The List

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Worth noting that Fury does all of the things on his list.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret Warrior Dark Reign The List

I see both of them are saving the best for last.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Worth noting that Fury does all of the things on his list.

He calls it "Wednesday."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm willing to bit Norman doesn't even have a list that doesn't end with "Kill Spider-Man."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm willing to bit Norman doesn't even have a list that doesn't end with "Kill Spider-Man."

I am now imagining his grocery list - milk eggs bread kill spider-man.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

New Leaf posted:

If he was really that quick, every other hero on the planet would be useless. He could simultaneously prevent every accidental death at once. He could end world hunger, he could wreck every terror cell on the planet. He could gather and disarm every IED in the desert. There would be no more conflict.

I just... I would quite like to see this. I think it would be neat. A story where Flash is at the very top of the hierarchy of all Earth superheroes instead of Superman. I think there could be some good stories in that concept :shobon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I am now imagining his grocery list - milk eggs bread kill spider-man.

God damnit they're out of kill spider-man again.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Phy posted:

Have to go to the out-of-town place, see if they've got some in stock.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Phy posted:

And he had a coupon that expires tomorrow, too :gonk:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Isn't there another bit in Dark Avengers where Norman is telling them they have to act like real heroes and Daken goes "Oh, you mean like Spider-Man?"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Dolash posted:

Yeah, that posturing at the end where someone's like "were we so especially terrible?" and the specter says "oh hey good point maybe I should destroy the world" is an especially eye-rolling sign-off. It's not exactly bad-rear end to say shades of grey are hard so kill everyone, from the soldiers down to the children and newborns in their mothers' arms. And if Heaven then acquits him that just sounds like some kind of embarrassing, adolescent pseudo-philosophy.

Badassery is hard to define, though, I suppose your mileage will vary.

I felt the badassery was not in the earlier genocide, or even in the threat of further genocide, but rather in the Spectre figuring out a way to transcend his boundaries and thereby actively save someone's life, rather than punishing someone reactively.

What's interesting with the Spectre is not when he wreaks horrible vengeance on murderers, but when stuff happens that he didn't expect. Like the 95-year-old woman who committed a single murder when she was 20. The body was never discovered, she was never even suspected, let alone arrested or prosecuted or convicted. And then she spent the next 75 years trying to atone. Does she get mindbogglingly torn to bits, even though she's on her deathbed already? Or, for that matter, the woman who shoots her 95-year-old great-grandmother so as to spare the old woman from the Spectre's mindbogglingly brutal vengeance? Was that murder, or mercy?

Or the time that the Spectre found a group of gay-bashers who had just beaten a man to death... and the bashers said "yes sir, Mr Spectre, we absolutely DID kill that man just now! Thank you for noticing! He was a homosexual, and homosexuality is a sin, and we're following your example by killing sinners! We want to be instruments of God's vengeance, just like you!"

(long pause)

Spectre says "YOU WILL SURRENDER YOURSELVES TO THE POLICE FOR THIS MURDER. IF YOU DO NOT, I WILL KNOW."

(That's not badass, but it is an interesting narrative development.)

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Django/Zorro #1

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

smashpro1 posted:

Django/Zorro #1

Well there're two words I didn't expect to see today

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

And yet they sound so perfect together.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm a little surprised that "Kill Spider-man" isn't on there more than once.

It should really be
Kill Spider-man
Take over S.H.I.E.L.D.
Neutralize Clint (Barton?)
Kill Spider-man again, just to be sure
Kill Frank Castle
Neutralize Bruce Banner
KILL SPIDER-MAN!!!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The last exclamation point and the underline are punched/torn right through the paper

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I want the next Spectre to be a Redditor, so that the scene goes like this:

Parahexavoctal posted:

Or the time that the Spectre found a group of gay-bashers who had just beaten a man to death... and the bashers said "yes sir, Mr Spectre, we absolutely DID kill that man just now! Thank you for noticing! He was a homosexual, and homosexuality is a sin, and we're following your example by killing sinners! We want to be instruments of God's vengeance, just like you!"

(long pause)

(Spectre pulls back cowl, dons spectral fedora)

"Well ACTUALLY, homosexuality as a sin is an invention of..."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FilthyImp posted:

I want the next Spectre to be a Redditor, so that the scene goes like this:

(Spectre pulls back cowl, dons spectral fedora)

"Well ACTUALLY, homosexuality as a sin is an invention of..."

"Spectre! Is this about justice, or is this about simple vengeance"

"Well, ACTUALLY its about ethics in videogame journalism..."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
#not all spirits of vengeance

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Django gets his own cool moment in the opening of the issue, too. He basically pulls a fake hitch-hiker routine on Diego because he knows his current marks will see the rich Spaniard as an easy target.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DC's March cover variants.
http://io9.com/dcs-march-variant-covers-are-movie-themed-and-they-loo-1670728033

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ugh. The Wonder Woman one is awful, AND an uninspired choice.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.
That's basically superhero and hero/villain fiction though.

edit: didn't notice there was a new page.
Django/Zorro #1 was a fun issue, specially Diego's reaction to paper money.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Don't they dine in Themyscira all the time though

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

She never said it was out of the ordinary.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

AnonSpore posted:

Seems like a diss considering it's replacing Hell.

Gaz-L posted:

Ugh. The Wonder Woman one is awful, AND an uninspired choice.

Agree completely, but it does represent just how bad that book has become now that it's the Finch poo poo show.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The last three make up for it. Hell, the Bill and Ted one alone makes up for it.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Cabbit posted:

The last three make up for it. Hell, the Bill and Ted one alone makes up for it.

The Bill and Ted cover may be the greatest variant cover I've seen all year.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I like how Batman is still wearing the cowl on the justice league cover.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I now know what's bothering me the most about Superman's New52 design: that mop of hair that belongs on a teen pop star.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

David D. Davidson posted:

I like how Batman is still wearing the cowl on the justice league cover.

Well, it's part of the mask.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

goldenoreos posted:

The Bill and Ted cover may be the greatest variant cover I've seen all year.

You seem to be forgetting Barbara Gordon Purple Rain.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

You seem to be forgetting Barbara Gordon Purple Rain.

I like that one a lot. And the Bill-and-Ted one is also great. But Catwoman-as-Bullitt is so cool. :swoon:

(You probably have to be older to get it, but Steve McQueen was the coolest guy in the world at one point. :corsair:)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

(You probably have to be older to get it, but Steve McQueen was the coolest guy in the world at one point. :corsair:)

Its not like he would ride a motorcycle after attempting to escape from Nazis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CzarChasm posted:

I'm a little surprised that "Kill Spider-man" isn't on there more than once.

It should really be
Kill Spider-man
Take over S.H.I.E.L.D.
Neutralize Clint (Barton?)
Kill Spider-man again, just to be sure
Kill Frank Castle
Neutralize Bruce Banner
KILL SPIDER-MAN!!!

Prank calls to Otto.
You may think he's dead Norman, but we've been there haven't we? Kill Spider-man. To make sure.
Clone Spider-man.
Kill Spider-man