Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

The developer hasn't even been arsed to post a "I'm still planning to get back to work on this as soon as my life settles back down" post since April or something. The engine isn't done, but he sure seems to be.

Furthermore, even if he's not, that's still the better part of the year that other people could have spent making improvements to the engine rather than sitting around staring wistfully at it.

I just do not get this attitude of "I want to build something cool, but I don't want anyone else to be able to help and I don't want any possibility of it ever being finished or updated once I lose interest".

You've never had a project you wanted to complete yourself to see if you could and be proud of it? I can certainly understand not wanting to open it up until you've had your fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
He's probably hiding the code at least in part because of being very sloppy or because he's using outside code in ways that don't follow the appropriate licenses.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

You've never had a project you wanted to complete yourself to see if you could and be proud of it? I can certainly understand not wanting to open it up until you've had your fun with it.

Everything I make I publish the source for, even the horribly unfinished experimental prototypes with vomit-inducing code. If I want to go at it alone I can always just not accept patches, and this at least ensures the work isn't lost if I get hit by a bus or my house burns down or I decide to quit programming to become a yak farmer or something.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It won't work because Mourel will refuse to deal with you.
True that. Have to wait until you get the prison pass.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Everything I make I publish the source for, even the horribly unfinished experimental prototypes with vomit-inducing code. If I want to go at it alone I can always just not accept patches, and this at least ensures the work isn't lost if I get hit by a bus or my house burns down or I decide to quit programming to become a yak farmer or something.

That's fair enough and works for you, but I'm not going to begrudge the guy the desire to keep his cards close to his chest. Given his most recent updates are basically disassembling the Daggerfall exe and recreating the code, there's probably not a lot anyone could do to help until all that stuff is done.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

That's fair enough and works for you, but I'm not going to begrudge the guy the desire to keep his cards close to his chest. Given his most recent updates are basically disassembling the Daggerfall exe and recreating the code, there's probably not a lot anyone could do to help until all that stuff is done.

People could work on Dark Forces support in the meantime. :shrug: And based on the blog posts he's written about the reverse engineering process, collaboration should be possible even on the Daggerfall parts.

Like I said, I just do not understand this attitude and it comes across to me as fundamentally selfish and antisocial, even though I realize that those probably aren't the actual motivations.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 10, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
We're talking about someone reverse-engineering three complicated, closed source games, of course it's prideful, anti-social, and selfish.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

People could work on Dark Forces support in the meantime. :shrug: And based on the blog posts he's written about the reverse engineering process, collaboration should be possible even on the Daggerfall parts.

Like I said, I just do not understand this attitude and it comes across to me as fundamentally selfish and antisocial, even though I realize that those probably aren't the actual motivations.

I agree with you in that I'd love it to be open source so other people could help on it, but it comes across to me as selfish to demand someone else change their behaviour simply because you don't like it. He's doing this as a hobby for himself first and foremost and any benefit for other people is a nice bonus. Demanding he open source it means you want him to spend his free time doing things for other people.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Still chipping away at Powerslave. Started picking up some of the Team Dolls (at least, the ones I saw elbryan42 pick up in his longplay of the game, which I've been watching out of boredom lately), got what I think is the final weapon, completed the Transmitter (which AFAIK locks me into the good ending)...

But what got me today is this: when I went to boot the game up, I was greeted with this for a title screen:

Uh

After wrapping up my session with the game, I double-checked that this is what shows up on both SSF and Yabause. Yeah, sure enough:

I guess this is some kind of "hey I'm the programmer for Powerslave on the Saturn and it's my birthday so yaaaaay my photo replaced the title screen" easter egg. Kinda cool, actually. I just wasn't expecting to see a grinning programmer's head instead of an Egyptian tomb...

EDIT: Oh yeah! Happy 21st, Doom. You can legally drink now!

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 10, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Same here, but now I have that loving ten second loop of the Cantina music from the start of Nar Shaddaa stuck in my head. Goddammit all to hell.

Doo-dee doo
Doo-dee doo
Doo-dee doo dum dee-dee doo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Hog posted:

Still chipping away at Powerslave. Started picking up some of the Team Dolls (at least, the ones I saw elbryan42 pick up in his longplay of the game, which I've been watching out of boredom lately), got what I think is the final weapon, completed the Transmitter (which AFAIK locks me into the good ending)...

But what got me today is this: when I went to boot the game up, I was greeted with this for a title screen:

Uh

After wrapping up my session with the game, I double-checked that this is what shows up on both SSF and Yabause. Yeah, sure enough:

I guess this is some kind of "hey I'm the programmer for Powerslave on the Saturn and it's my birthday so yaaaaay my photo replaced the title screen" easter egg. Kinda cool, actually. I just wasn't expecting to see a grinning programmer's head instead of an Egyptian tomb...

EDIT: Oh yeah! Happy 21st, Doom. You can legally drink now!

I'd never heard of this either but the first GIS hit for this guy (Ezra Dreisbach) is a photo of that exact screen.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's probably hiding the code at least in part because of being very sloppy or because he's using outside code in ways that don't follow the appropriate licenses.

or this is a hobby project and the author doesn't owe any kind of progress or result to anyone

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

the wizards beard posted:

or this is a hobby project and the author doesn't owe any kind of progress or result to anyone

It's possible to want to see a project succeed without feeling like one is entitled to its success.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Cacowards are up on time for the first time in forever!

Double-congrats to Terminus!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

horse mans posted:

It's possible to want to see a project succeed without feeling like one is entitled to its success.

definitely, here's hoping more people do that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wow, surprised that The Golden Souls didn't even so much as get a mention. A few notable absences in the Cacowards this year, even.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Does anyone know of a way to convert savegames between different versions of zdoom? I want to use the latest build but it won't load some of my old saves.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

the wizards beard posted:

Does anyone know of a way to convert savegames between different versions of zdoom? I want to use the latest build but it won't load some of my old saves.

I don't think it can be done.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Here's a full list of Cacoward nominees this year. Surprising how few of them made it through.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

esselfortium posted:

I don't think it can be done.

From some reading it sounds like doom saves hold the state of everything in the map, so when the source port changes compatibility can be broken. You might be right.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Wow, surprised that The Golden Souls didn't even so much as get a mention. A few notable absences in the Cacowards this year, even.
I'll be honest and be a dissenting voice - I thought Golden Souls was fairly unenjoyable. Once the charm of the map graphics faded away, I was left with fighting bullet sponges with worse weapons. Conversely I had an amazing time with Prodoomer though - there were still a few sore spots and terrible jumping puzzles but by the end everything kinda clicked and I really liked it. Hopefully the author will go on to make more stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some new old making-of pics that Romero uploaded today...

The Cyberdemon, circa 1993

The Archvile, circa 1994

Random computer junk for wall texture circuitry, circa 1993

The chaingun! Apparently. 1993

The Lost Soul, 1993

More tomorrow, apparently.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

Here's some new old making-of pics that Romero uploaded today...

More tomorrow, apparently.

While not Doom 1, here's what I believe to be a beta Doom 2 double-barrel.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo, Reconstruction/Decomposition is really cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There was something so magical about those early 90s digitized graphics. Everything else at the time looked like Mario and then suddenly you have Mortal Kombat and Doom which still looked fairly primitive, but had a few practically photorealistic textures pop up here and there.

It was a weird contrast, almost like a magazine cut-out collage or something.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zaphod42 posted:

There was something so magical about those early 90s digitized graphics. Everything else at the time looked like Mario and then suddenly you have Mortal Kombat and Doom which still looked fairly primitive, but had a few practically photorealistic textures pop up here and there.

It was a weird contrast, almost like a magazine cut-out collage or something.

I think it's the limited palettes. The images aren't too low-resolution that they seem fake but our brains can spot the low number of colours. Like how some live-action gifs just look weird.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This years' Cacowards are really good. Congratulations Term!
Weird seeing no mention (even on the sidebar) of Six Golden Souls or GMOTA, though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Kins posted:

Double-congrats to Terminus!

laserghost posted:

This years' Cacowards are really good. Congratulations Term!
Weird seeing no mention (even on the sidebar) of Six Golden Souls or GMOTA, though.

Thanks very much, guys!
GMOTA did get a mention--and honestly, I'm kind of surprised DemonSteele was picked over it. It was pretty inspired by GMOTA and isn't anywhere near finished, so I kind of feel bad for getting it while he just gets a mention.
If anything, though, it's fantastic motivation to keep me working on it. Still a whole ton to do!

As for Push...well. I'm gonna have to get in contact with all of the mappers and let them know their accomplishment! They were the ones that really carried the project, and it's all thanks to them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nice to see 32in24-13 get in. Did a little bit of work for that one - made the MIDIs for the intermission/title screens, and contributed a map as well (although it's buried all the way down in MAP29, but whatever, it's in there!).

Kinda wish I'd finished my attempt at a 2048 map for Mayhem, though. Still need to wrap that one up in general...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guess what's on Steam now and arriving on Friday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

quote:

The Original Strife is back!
Hailed as the original FPS-RPG game that spawned countless imitators, Strife: Veteran Edition is a love letter to the classic from 1996.

New Features Include:

Support for high resolutions, with proper aspect ratio.
OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync.
Dynamic lighting and bloom
Widescreen support.
Ability to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs.
Steam Achievements
Steam Trading Cards

Completion of missing and unfinished options in the original game, such as:

The planned "Capture the Chalice” multi-player mode.
Marking of current objectives on the auto-map.
Special HUD for the Torpedo weapon

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Zeether posted:

Guess what's on Steam now and arriving on Friday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

This is an insta-buy for me. I've played through most of the game before, but have never finished it, and I would love to change that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zeether posted:

Oh hey.

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/big-announcement-coming-soon/

https://doom64ex.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/publicpreview1.png

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zeether posted:

God bless Night Dive Studios for everything they do.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The objective marking on the automap might make me want this a little more because the fact that I wasn't sure where to go at first kinda turned me off Strife when I tried it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend. Dating Blackbird.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I love the filtering and lighting they added. Do any Doom source ports have something similar?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

GZdoom can do similar light and bloom effects, if you choose to manually enable them. The bad thing is that none of the Doom HD texture packs are any good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wait, what?

MINIMUM:

:(

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

laserghost posted:

Wait, what?

MINIMUM:

:(
Yes, you need a PC from the last decade, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Why are you still using Windows XP in 2014?