Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

he'll shift the goalposts on you, he keeps saying 'petty criminals' and 'non violent drug offenders' to confuse the issue, he's actually talking about dealers not users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani lady who got shot in the head for promoting female education, got the Nobel peace price today. I wonder how long it will be before someone back in Pakistan blows the rest of her brains out. That country appears to have made a point out of assassinating their own best and brightest.

Pakistan isn't so much a country as it is an armed mob ruled by a better armed mob

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So basically the sentiment is "drugs should be legal, but as long as they aren't, gently caress it, might as well toss tens of thousands of petty criminals in prison"?
Again, you are in the extreme minority in considering drug offenses a homogeneous category of crimes, most people see possessing a joint as different from large scale heroin manufacture. Running a large criminal enterprise is not a "petty" crime. Also, if you are going to accuse AR of perpetrating an injustice, your position should include some sort of argument for why selling heroin should be legal, which you have consistently failed to provide.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, you are in the extreme minority in considering drug offenses a homogeneous category of crimes, most people see possessing a joint as different from large scale heroin manufacture. Running a large criminal enterprise is not a "petty" crime. Also, if you are going to accuse AR of perpetrating an injustice, your position should include some sort of argument for why selling heroin should be legal, which you have consistently failed to provide.

Selling heroin should be legal because it kills TCC posters

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bolow posted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bolow posted:

The man has a point.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Bolow posted:

Hard to argue this one..

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The TCC approved answer is that heroin should be legal because I can control it, it's not really a problem, only the stigma causes people problems, and hey anyone else lose feeling in their arms after a bad batch? I need to know how to deal with it because CPS is coming by and if I leave my arms hanging down they might take my kids again.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Best Friends posted:

The TCC approved answer is that heroin should be legal because I can control it, it's not really a problem, only the stigma causes people problems, and hey anyone else lose feeling in their arms after a bad batch? I need to know how to deal with it because CPS is coming by again and if I leave my arms hanging down they might take my kids again.

*USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
REASON: DEAD

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Two Finger posted:

he'll shift the goalposts on you, he keeps saying 'petty criminals' and 'non violent drug offenders' to confuse the issue, he's actually talking about dealers not users

Obfuscation and restating a clearly stated position and confusing the issue as much as possible seems to be a valid response and it drives me crazy.

When it comes to women in Pakistan just go back to Bhutto to see how much they love their female leaders.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TCC has done a lot to make me reconsider my stance on drug use. I used to think life ruining addiction was a hard but long road, but it turns out that plenty of people go from "I want to try heroin/legal Russian research chemical out and I'm going to make sure it doesn't control me" to "I'm homeless and estranged from anyone who ever loved me" within a couple months flat

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Legalizing heroin would be a kick in the ribs for the small-time poppy farmer in Afghanistan.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

TCC has done a lot to make me reconsider my stance on drug use. I used to think life ruining addiction was a hard but long road, but it turns out that plenty of people go from "I want to try heroin/legal Russian research chemical out and I'm going to make sure it doesn't control me" to "I'm homeless and estranged from anyone who ever loved me" within a couple months flat

who was that guy who was taking something, might have been bath salts? and went completely mental found himself homeless and his fiance's father flat out said never to contact her ever again
that was pretty lol

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you reconcile most cops choosing that profession out of a genuine desire to serve the public and the consistent closing of ranks when one of them does the opposite? Doesn't seem like it can be both without a shitton of cognitive dissonance.

I find it fairly easy to reconcile. They become indoctrinated. Once that occurs they refer to the public as civilians. It's an indication that they hold themselves separate from the community. There are several reasons for this. Militarization of the police force which I believe was really spear headed by LAPD. Just the grind of a job where people treat you with distain, and disgust. Think about how many positive interactions with folks a cop has on shift versus negative. I'm guessing largely negative for quite a few.

Since I'm making blanket statements its super easy to poke holes in. But you asked, so this is what I think.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I've known several weed and fun pills dealers who went on to lead happy productive grown up lives and am very glad they aren't in prison both as a person who knows them and as a taxpayer.

Two Finger posted:

who was that guy who was taking something, might have been bath salts? and went completely mental found himself homeless and his fiance's father flat out said never to contact her ever again
that was pretty lol

It was some crazy russian drug where the difference between an active dose and a you will commit horrible acts dose is too small for the eye to see, and if that wasn't bad enough the primary thing the drug did was make people forget everything and make bad decisions, so even if you theoretically did the "right" amount you'd still probably take more. And it had apparently no euphoric effect (wtf).

There's sort of a top hits of tcc thread in gbs right now and it's funny.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

that was pretty lol

That was the legal Russian research chemical I was referring to. Never mind a couple months, it only took that guy a few days

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Jarmak posted:

The issue you're running into is when you say "non-violent drug offenders" people parse that as "possession" because thats what people are usually referring to when they use that term and they're giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a moron who thinks its wrong to prosecute people for running criminal enterprises.

Well, now that we've identified my first mistake...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

That was the legal Russian research chemical I was referring to. Never mind a couple months, it only took that guy a few days

hahahaha i just read about the dude who baked himself in his car

sad because he's dead but gently caress i can't stop laughing

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Some goon or other actually advocated for the banning of public sector unions because apparently removing the constitutionally protected rights of the working class will fix racism. :rolleyes:

Also lol at people bitching at cops not getting indicted, I know criminals who have shot 8 people in 6 incidents who have yet to get a single conviction.

In conclusion anyone advocating anything anti police or anti military is a dickhead

strawman, moral equivalency and an ad hominem I can't wait for lurkers to mash the report button.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Smiling Jack posted:

In conclusion anyone advocating anything anti military is a dickhead

Whoa whoa whoa pump the brakes there chief

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Legalizing it all will help cull the weak in society anyway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

iyaayas01 posted:

Kabul 1970:

I think this one is a nice metaphor for what's happened to Afghanistan:

Circling back around to DnD, but a few years ago there were a bunch of dudes in there saying it was racist to try and force Western culture on Afgahnistan, and that their real culture was nothing but warring tribes and religous fundamentalism.

I brought up pictures like these and dudes like this to say that in fact perhaps there was more to the country that their weird racist talking points they heard in their freshman POLYSCI classes.

According to them I was wrong and it was racist for me to assume there was more to Afganistan then shooting women in the head in soccer stadiums for learning how to read. :(

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 11, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Soviet management of the Communist government in Afghanistan was comically inept, bested only by the way we handled the South Vietnamese government. Like us, they decided to just go ahead and coup out a leader they thought ineffective, which just ended up making things worse, the way we did with Diem.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
Heck yeah, legalize heroin!
Wait, what?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Panzeh posted:

The Soviet management of the Communist government in Afghanistan was comically inept, bested only by the way we handled the South Vietnamese government. Like us, they decided to just go ahead and coup out a leader they thought ineffective, which just ended up making things worse, the way we did with Diem.

An unpopular Soviet-backed government in Kabul tried to consolidate power by executing political prisoners en masse in the late 70s; the 80,000-strong Afghan army began hemorrhaging deserters and the country was about to throw up all over itself when the Soviets arrived. They walked into a loss, especially considering how pissed we were that the US ambassador to Afghanistan had been kidnapped by rebels and killed in an Afghan police / Soviet advisor "rescue attempt" that ended like every hostage situation involving Russians; we were funneling money to the Afghan rebels to help them destabilize the Soviet-backed government (yes, those rebels) which escalated to the missiles and such we're used to hearing about, and so forth. The Soviets tried to prop up a government that wanted to end the "feudalism" of rural Afghanistan; modernize it; secularize it, and so forth. They enforced this position by bulldozing and bombing entire villages. Hearts and minds didn't work so well, either, 30 years later. I sort of wish the Soviets had succeeded, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Legalizing it all will help cull the weak in society anyway.
We'd have to give it to them for free, otherwise they'll pay for it by stealing from regular people who matter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

We'd have to give it to them for free, otherwise they'll pay for it by stealing from regular people who matter.

I'm fine with this. loving pay for it with Social Security, I don't care.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Casimir Radon posted:

not for long!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zeris posted:

An unpopular Soviet-backed government in Kabul tried to consolidate power by executing political prisoners en masse in the late 70s; the 80,000-strong Afghan army began hemorrhaging deserters and the country was about to throw up all over itself when the Soviets arrived. They walked into a loss, especially considering how pissed we were that the US ambassador to Afghanistan had been kidnapped by rebels and killed in an Afghan police / Soviet advisor "rescue attempt" that ended like every hostage situation involving Russians; we were funneling money to the Afghan rebels to help them destabilize the Soviet-backed government (yes, those rebels) which escalated to the missiles and such we're used to hearing about, and so forth. The Soviets tried to prop up a government that wanted to end the "feudalism" of rural Afghanistan; modernize it; secularize it, and so forth. They enforced this position by bulldozing and bombing entire villages. Hearts and minds didn't work so well, either, 30 years later. I sort of wish the Soviets had succeeded, though.

The Soviets decided to go ahead and coup out one of their own clients because they felt it couldn't get much worse than Amin but it did in fact get worse. A lot like we did with Diem, really. Diem wasn't very good, but a series of weak-willed and greedy military officers ended up being worse.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Casimir Radon posted:

The latter could potentially be the better option. Come, stranger: invade my castle and we'll start solving society's problems right here and now.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Lotron posted:

Wait, what?

hmm yes

these are literally the same and the addition of some measly carbons and removal of an oxygen means nothing in the grand scheme of biochemistry

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Bolow posted:

This, but unironically.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

The Soviets decided to go ahead and coup out one of their own clients because they felt it couldn't get much worse than Amin but it did in fact get worse. A lot like we did with Diem, really. Diem wasn't very good, but a series of weak-willed and greedy military officers ended up being worse.

We couldn't have found a more useless pair of poo poo-flinging idiots than Thieu and Ky if we'd tried.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Lotron posted:

Wait, what?

Small changes in chemical structure can make a huge difference in clinical effect and pharmacokinetics.

Heroin addicts might be the most pitiful ones I see. Alcohol is near the top too, to be honest. Fortunately, cocaine punishes your heart early and often so we don't see too many old cocaine addicts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Derek Dominoe posted:

Small changes in chemical structure can make a huge difference in clinical effect and pharmacokinetics.

Heroin addicts might be the most pitiful ones I see. Alcohol is near the top too, to be honest. Fortunately, cocaine punishes your heart early and often so we don't see too many old cocaine addicts.

Methadone zombies are fairly pathetic.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Derek Dominoe posted:

Unless they've changed it, Oxycontin will get you high as gently caress and it used to be way easier to get than heroin. A lot of people I grew up with ruined themselves on that poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Unless they've changed it, Oxycontin will get you high as gently caress and it used to be way easier to get than heroin. A lot of people I grew up with ruined themselves on that poo poo.

They're still ruining themselves, but since the feds and doctors have clamped down on Oxy all of the former pillheads are taking Heroin.

This hasn't worked out very well for them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There was a study involving free heroin to addicts in Vancouver a little while ago.

I think they learned that heroin addicts like free heroin. Science!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're still ruining themselves, but since the feds and doctors have clamped down on Oxy all of the former pillheads are taking Heroin.

This hasn't worked out very well for them.

Yeah, I know, I was just wondering why people were posting like there's a massive difference between Oxycontin and Heroin. They're different, but they're similar enough that when you run out of Oxy the 'logical' thing is to find some smack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ManMythLegend posted:

Circling back around to DnD, but a few years ago there were a bunch of dudes in there saying it was racist to try and force Western culture on Afgahnistan, and that their real culture was nothing but warring tribes and religous fundamentalism.

I brought up pictures like these and dudes like this to say that in fact perhaps there was more to the country that their weird racist talking points they heard in their freshman POLYSCI classes.

According to them I was wrong and it was racist for me to assume there was more to Afganistan then shooting women in the head in soccer stadiums for learning how to read. :(
kabul 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcjhibtQz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyLH7R8sms

(^ he's got beats headphones!)

there are worse cities in the third world than kabul. and this stuff is what people do. they buy and sell goods and services (call it capitalism if you want). they wear clothes that make them feel good. they make shlocky music that's fun to dance to. and none of that is "western" despite what D&D says. people only *don't* do these things when you have a regime that thinks it knows better and forcibly prevents them.

of course it'll be interesting to see what happens when the U.S. reconstruction money runs out.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread