Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well, no one bought it when Elizabeth Warren endorsed Hillary Clinton, no one will buy this either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alter Ego posted:

Well, no one bought it when Elizabeth Warren endorsed Hillary Clinton, no one will buy this either.

Elizabeth Warren only signed a letter urging Hillary to run for President, she never officially endorsed her.

She was wearing a running suit in her latest interview! #ReadyforWarren

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

1. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter at all in terms of votes received in the general election.
What about Palin?

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Real endorsements, already? Has Clinton even formed an exploratory committee yet?
And didn't she learn from last time? Getting people on your bandwagon before they see the other options tends to result in them jumping off.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nameless_Steve posted:

Real endorsements, already? Has Clinton even formed an exploratory committee yet?
And didn't she learn from last time? Getting people on your bandwagon before they see the other options tends to result in them jumping off.

...no it doesn't, getting endorsements locked down means that person has a much harder time jumping to the other side than if they'd never endorsed at the beginning. What on earth would make you think it's bad to rack up early endorsements?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't get the impression that Hillary asked Dean for an endorsement.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Nameless_Steve posted:

Getting people on your bandwagon before they see the other options tends to result in them jumping off.

Don't think Hillary lost last time because Howard Dean endorsed her too early.

Endorsements themselves are almost always overrated whenever they occur but if this means Dean is not running/actively recruiting an opponent against her, it's a huge win for Hillary if you are looking at it remotely objectively.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What about Palin?

There's some evidence that Palin actually helped McCain's final vote tally by turning out more of the base in 2008, but I did leave off a couple of qualifiers from that statement. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter if the pick is someone generally perceived as qualified for the office. Palin fails that test, obviously, and Eagleton might be another example, though McGovern was doomed anyway. The other qualifier that I left out is that the VP pick doesn't matter in the post-McGovern primary reform era. Prior to that, the pick was used to bargain at the convention for delegate support. Nixon allowed Thurmond to hand him a list of acceptable names, which is how we got Agnew.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
No good process ever ends with "which is how we got Agnew."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eschers Basement posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwk_epMblW4

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eschers Basement posted:

"Future people found this headless corpse and brought it to life to act as the vice president"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What about Palin?

Or Leiberman? I know for a fact that Gore choosing him cost him some votes, including mine.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

There's some evidence that Palin actually helped McCain's final vote tally by turning out more of the base in 2008, but I did leave off a couple of qualifiers from that statement. The Vice Presidential pick doesn't matter if the pick is someone generally perceived as qualified for the office. Palin fails that test, obviously, and Eagleton might be another example, though McGovern was doomed anyway. The other qualifier that I left out is that the VP pick doesn't matter in the post-McGovern primary reform era. Prior to that, the pick was used to bargain at the convention for delegate support. Nixon allowed Thurmond to hand him a list of acceptable names, which is how we got Agnew.
IIRC Quayle was a such a risible joke that it did cost Bush a point or a point-and-a-half in the final tally. But for the most part VP picks have little effect - a really bad one can cost you slightly, and if a good pick buoys the ticket, that's probably a sign that the top of the ticket is weak and is probably going to lose (I think Bentsen in 1988 was good for Dukakis, but the fact that a VP pick was enough to bump his polls was a sign of how deep a hole his campaign was in).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

FMguru posted:

IIRC Quayle was a such a risible joke that it did cost Bush a point or a point-and-a-half in the final tally. But for the most part VP picks have little effect - a really bad one can cost you slightly, and if a good pick buoys the ticket, that's probably a sign that the top of the ticket is weak and is probably going to lose (I think Bentsen in 1988 was good for Dukakis, but the fact that a VP pick was enough to bump his polls was a sign of how deep a hole his campaign was in).

I've always considered those sort of VP strategies akin to a hockey team pulling their goalie near the end of the third period: it's a sign of desperation by a team that knows it's probably already lost, rarely results in any spectacular turn-around, and can make a loss that much more humiliating (if the other sides nails an empty-net goal).

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

DynamicSloth posted:

Don't think Hillary lost last time because Howard Dean endorsed her too early.

No, but whereas in 2007 endorsing the inevitable Hillary in the first place had no effect, Ted Kennedy's switching his endorsement to Obama was a major event in the race. Not that Dean is that kind of power player, but I still think you should see the whole menu before you order.
It's too early for people to be paying attention so it will get less coverage than it would have otherwise.

I don't want Hillary to cruise to the nomination. I'm supporting her this time around, but I want her to earn it, and I want a vigorous and lively primary season.
When she was down in 2008, she claimed that staying in and drawing out the primaries:
gave the Democratic party and liberal ideas exposure and energy;
created the campaign infrastructure and volunteer base that was such a boost come Election Day; and
made the eventual nominee a better candidate.

Was that a position of convenience? Probably, but true nonetheless.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It should be noted, Democracy for America (née Dean for America) is still Ready for Warren.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Or Leiberman? I know for a fact that Gore choosing him cost him some votes, including mine.

If Gore choosing Lieberman cost him a few votes in Vermont and California, but gained him votes in Palm Beach, that's not a bad tradeoff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

It should be noted, Democracy for America (née Dean for America) is still Ready for Warren.
I think MoveOn said today that they are also still holding out hope that she runs.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I am not able to follow politics as much as I would like, but I get the impression that there is only about a 5% chance of a Warren run in 2016. Although... if Hillary wins in 2016/2020, Warren has basically lost any shot of the presidency by being too old for 2024. That said, I am still thinking around 5% - thoughts?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OctoberBlues posted:

I am not able to follow politics as much as I would like, but I get the impression that there is only about a 5% chance of a Warren run in 2016. Although... if Hillary wins in 2016/2020, Warren has basically lost any shot of the presidency by being too old for 2024. That said, I am still thinking around 5% - thoughts?

Biden is her only hope; ain't no way Hillary lets herself get upstaged by a woman who excites the base more than she does.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So, what do we change the thread title to if the (R) primary starts and Jeb or Mitt have it locked down from the start? Because right now I don't know if they're really gonna feel like they need any redefining.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chantilly Say posted:

So, what do we change the thread title to if the (R) primary starts and Jeb or Mitt have it locked down from the start? Because right now I don't know if they're really gonna feel like they need any redefining.

"Abandon all hope" because Jeb is going to be a shoe-in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chantilly Say posted:

2012 was still entertaining even though this was still true.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"Abandon all hope" because Jeb is going to be a shoe-in.

This is gonna be hilarious.

~General Election Debate #1~

Hillary: i was secstate, a senator, i was basically already president until black nicolae carpathia came calling
Jeb: im fatbush; i look like bush, but fat

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

computer parts posted:

2012 was still entertaining even though this was still true.

Oh, absolutely--and the establishment efforts to stave off a clown-car primary and rally 'round the anointed Guy might push the lunacy to the sidelines a bit this year, but might only encourage Paulist rules-lawyering and discontent from the tea partiers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

This is gonna be hilarious.

~General Election Debate #1~

Hillary: i was secstate, a senator, i was basically already president until black nicolae carpathia came calling
Jeb: im fatbush; i look like bush, but fat

A republican candidate's biggest challenge (other than painting their policies as not retarded) is being drug around in the primaries. If Jeb clears the field in three to four primaries then he's in a pretty good position. Add in that no one gives a poo poo about secstate outside of polisci nerds and that she's going to be tied to everything related to Obama, gives Jeb a good shot.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He's not going to be tied to everything Bush?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

He's not going to be tied to everything Bush?

You really don't want to see how, "Miss Me Yet?" polls these days.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

You really don't want to see how, "Miss Me Yet?" polls these days.

:getin:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A republican candidate's biggest challenge (other than painting their policies as not retarded) is being drug around in the primaries. If Jeb clears the field in three to four primaries then he's in a pretty good position.

To lose.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Also he has the added advantage of it being true when he says "I was not part of my brother's administration."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A republican candidate's biggest challenge (other than painting their policies as not retarded) is being drug around in the primaries. If Jeb clears the field in three to four primaries then he's in a pretty good position. Add in that no one gives a poo poo about secstate outside of polisci nerds and that she's going to be tied to everything related to Obama, gives Jeb a good shot.

Also, a lot rides on the economy. If late 2016 starts looking like 2001 (or god forbid 2008), Jeb could easily take the presidency. Given that we're already past the mean time between recessions in the post-war era, there's a fairly good chance that if Obama doesn't get a recession in his last two years in office, Hillary will almost certainly have one in her first term. If you want a Democratic president with coattails in 2020, there's slim chance of that right now.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BristolSOF posted:

Two questions regarding Hillary's VP pick -
1. What are the odds that Hillary picks a Hispanic candidate with decent name recognition from the House? (i.e. Rep Luis Gutiérrez or Rep Xavier Becerra, or Rep Loretta Sánchez, or Rep/Sec Hilda Solis)
2. Is it crazy to think Senator Martin Heinrich has a chance?

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Yes.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 3, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Gutierrez is from Illinois, and he's known for his speaking skills but lacks any notable power. Julian Castro seems more likely since he's secretary of HUD and obviously has ambitions. What do you think might lead Hillary to pick Gutierrez as her running mate?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BristolSOF posted:

Noted.

Isn't Jim Webb more of a hope than Biden? If Webb and Warren were to run, which way would Hillary lean?

Hillary would probably go hard Gutierrez, if she thought she had an actual chance at losing the primary. By the time you get to the convention where that becomes a serious consideration, you've got more problems than just choosing a Veep: You've got rules fuckery to skullfuck you over and you end up with everyone hosed over.

Webb's angling for Veep, I think. Hillary, Biden, Emanuel, Warren: Choose two*

*H+B does not work. B+E does not work. H+W does not work. E+B does not work. W+B does not work. W+H does not work.

If scenario does not work, move on to third tier: Gutierrez, Castro, Webb

If scenario does not work, move on to fourth tier: Dean, (Go back to second-tier "does not work")

If scenario does not work, move on to fifth tier: Nixon, Sanders, Duckworth, that one guy from New Mexico, random California choice, maybe a black guy?

Chamale posted:

Gutierrez is from Illinois, and he's known for his speaking skills but lacks any notable power. Julian Castro seems more likely since he's secretary of HUD and obviously has ambitions. What do you think might lead Hillary to pick Gutierrez as her running mate?

Actual progressive grassroots opposition to her candidacy combined with a moderate Republican like Romney, Bush, Rauner, or McCain.

e:

Some explanations of the systems I find to be operating: Hillary will not, can not, accept Veep to someone she feels doesn't "deserve" to be President. Biden cannot, will not, accept Veep to someone he doesn't think would be a better President than him, and thats an extremely narrow list. Emamuel is willing to pull a Lieberman 2008 if it gets him better positioned to become President. No candidate will choose a black male as their first-tier Veep choice, nor will a black male be a first-tier candidate.

The race is Hillary's to lose, namely, by being unable to distinguish herself from the perceived Republican frontrunner, and from overcompensating for such.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 11, 2014

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 3, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hillary would probably go hard Gutierrez, if she thought she had an actual chance at losing the primary. By the time you get to the convention where that becomes a serious consideration, you've got more problems than just choosing a Veep: You've got rules fuckery to skullfuck you over and you end up with everyone hosed over.

Webb's angling for Veep, I think. Hillary, Biden, Emanuel, Warren: Choose two*

*H+B does not work. B+E does not work. H+W does not work.

If scenario does not work, move on to third tier: Gutierrez, Castro, Webb

If scenario does not work, move on to fourth tier: Dean, (Go back to second-tier "does not work")

If scenario does not work, move on to fifth tier: Nixon, Sanders, Duckworth, that one guy from New Mexico, random California choice, maybe a black guy?

Actual progressive grassroots opposition to her candidacy combined with a moderate Republican like Romney, Bush, Rauner, or McCain.

I know you'd like to be Hillary's veep, Rahm, but while you were buddy buddy with Hillary up until Obama ran, I question whether she'd not count your ostrich behavior in 2008 as a betrayal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If scenario does not work, move on to fifth tier: Nixon

Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? That man is 7 billionth tier, the corpse of Osama bin Laden would be a better VP pick than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? That man is 7 billionth tier, the corpse of Osama bin Laden would be a better VP pick than him.

Yes, unless the situation calls for a white male and Webb is found with a live boy or dead girl, Dean goes Munch, and Emanuel can't be used, in which case Nixon is the last one left alive.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I know you'd like to be Hillary's veep, Rahm, but while you were buddy buddy with Hillary up until Obama ran, I question whether she'd not count your ostrich behavior in 2008 as a betrayal.

While you keep your friends close, you keep your enemies closer. Which party hosts their convention first in 2015?

• Locked thread