Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Himuro posted:

You think season 2 sucks balls too? High five, other me.

Just how many of you are there?

Thirteen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BSam posted:

Just how many of you are there?

Thirteen!

Cut off one head and two will shall take its place!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Himuro posted:

I don't like season 2 of Agents of SHIELD so far.

In typical comic book fashion they have taken a great, fun, simple concept and turned it into a self serious emo shitshow.

Season 2 displays almost none of the charm, humor, or fun of season 1. It's a depressing, boring, plodding hot mess that doesn't know what it wants to be in terms of tone whose plot moves too slow to get invested in anything. The new characters are boring, too. I don't even know their names aside from Bobbi. It's okay, but hardly fun comedic spy nerd show of the original season. My boyfriend and I have aughed a few times once and we are seven episodes in.

I doubt it'll get better. The characters aren't even characters anymore. The character interaction of season 1? Gone. Skye is basically a non-character now. She hasn't hacked once this entire season and displays none of her past ideological underpinnings that made me like her. All she cares about is finding her dad and doing what Coulson says and being May-lite.

Lola, the camaraderie of Fitz-Simmons, the lighthearted banter between May and Ward, the relationships of the team, all of it has taken a step back to some alien claptrap and the characters was what made me like Agents of Shield to begin with. This new season is like watching some a sci-fi spy Law and Order rather than something resembling a show based off a line of comic books and I find the amount of praise it has received this season to be frankly, odd.

I think you might be accidentally watching another show and not realize it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Himuro posted:

I doubt it'll get better. The characters aren't even characters anymore. The character interaction of season 1? Gone. Skye is basically a non-character now. She hasn't hacked once this entire season and displays none of her past ideological underpinnings that made me like her. All she cares about is finding her dad and doing what Coulson says and being May-lite.

I, too, find it reprehensible that they don't have Skye running around in wet low cut dresses anymore. Bring back the glory days of the first half of season one imo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Himuro posted:

In typical comic book fashion they have taken a great, fun, simple concept and turned it into a self serious emo shitshow.

Season 2 displays almost none of the charm, humor, or fun of season 1. It's a depressing, boring, plodding hot mess that doesn't know what it wants to be in terms of tone whose plot moves too slow to get invested in anything. The new characters are boring, too. I don't even know their names aside from Bobbi. It's okay, but hardly fun comedic spy nerd show of the original season. My boyfriend and I have aughed a few times once and we are seven episodes in.

Lola, the camaraderie of Fitz-Simmons, the lighthearted banter between May and Ward, the relationships of the team, all of it has taken a step back to some alien claptrap and the characters was what made me like Agents of Shield to begin with. This new season is like watching some a sci-fi spy Law and Order rather than something resembling a show based off a line of comic books and I find the amount of praise it has received this season to be frankly, odd.

13/10
:golfclap:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Himuro posted:

Skye is basically a non-character now. She hasn't hacked once this entire season

Something about the way this is worded is really funny to me

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's because it's a really funny thing to say.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

XboxPants posted:

If Mack comes back with "weirdness" that eventually lets him end up with cool powers then it's all worth it. Do we even know his full name yet? What is "Mack", even, first, last, nickname?

It's a nickname, derived from his last name. His name is Alphonso Mackenzie.

XboxPants posted:

Also that preview showed more Absorbing Man with his wrecking ball, gently caress yesssss.

CapnAndy posted:

I think that was a clip from the original fight? It was very quick, but I think.

This is correct. It was a clip from the original fight.

greatn posted:

Don't worry guys, BJ Britt will definitely return by Avengers 2, as evidenced by this blurry photo of the back of a black man from 500 yards away.

Interestingly, he still could show up in the movie. Maria Hill knows him, and he might make a cameo where he interacts with her. It's highly doubtful, but possible.

XboxPants posted:

I've felt like he's been making the complete backwards conclusion the whole time, and I have to speak up.

If this show matters so goddamn little to the movies, as he suggests, then why is his conclusion that the TV show can't touch on anything that the movies might want to do? Who would even care? The movie-going public doesn't even watch the show. More likely, the show can do whatever the gently caress it wants and it doesn't even loving matter because gently caress Agents of SHIELD.

They're gonna introduce a whole bunch of Inhumans Nerdy Backstory Lore for Nerds, then the movie will come out and explain the entire backstory from scratch without referencing the show much at all, because it has to for the millions of movie-goers who haven't seen the show. Nerdy Nerds like us will push up our glasses and be all "ACTUALLY, INHUMANS HAVE BEEN ON EARTH ALREADY IN SHIELD WHICH IS ALSO ACTUALLY STILL AROUND AND COULSON IS STILL ALIVE BUT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ANY OF THIS BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT AS BIG A NERD AS I AM :smug:"

And no one will care. He's right, the TV show doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean everything's off limits, it means nothing's off limits.

The problem here is that Marvel has said that, starting with Dr. Strange, they aren't doing Origin Story movies anymore. I'm thinking that the "origin story" from Dr. Strange onward will be like the one in The Incredible Hulk: A series of images/scenes that take place at the very beginning.

Also, for those who don't understand why Trip died, allow myself to quote myself:

Kheldarn posted:

In the end, though, someone had to die, and it had to be someone who meant something to Daisy. Being that B.J. Britt is a main character on another show, on another network, his character was the logical conclusion. :sigh:

Basically, Trip is Daisy's Uncle Ben.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Himuro posted:

It's okay, but hardly fun comedic spy nerd show of the original season.

The show you liked was a critical disaster, and it tanked in the ratings so much that it hurt the much more loved show that exists now. The show has changed, most everyone thinks for the better. Had the show you liked continued, it would have been cancelled anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Himuro posted:

For what it's worth, I agree. I've been trying to put my finger on what's missing from Season 2, and you nailed it. The dynamics of the original team added a lot to the show. In stark contrast, the current team is sort of all over the place. This is probably because season 1 started kinda slowly and the writers had a lot of time to develop the characters, whereas season 2 has been crisis-mode since episode 1 and the obelisk/inhumans plot seems to have dominated at the expense of story arcs involving team dynamics and cohesion.

I think they had an interesting thing going with the mercenary trio in the first episode, and could have developed it further to explore what kinds of sacrifices in quality Coulson would have to make to boost SHIELD's numbers again. But they seem to have ditched that idea.

As a totally separate note, I really hope they bring back the original actor that played Agent 33. Re-using May's actor makes it difficult for me to take the character seriously.

ashpanash posted:

The show you liked was a critical disaster, and it tanked in the ratings so much that it hurt the much more loved show that exists now. The show has changed, most everyone thinks for the better. Had the show you liked continued, it would have been cancelled anyway.

This is true. I just hope that we see some serious character development for Hunter, Bobbi and Mack soon.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 11, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kheldarn posted:

Basically, Trip is Daisy's Uncle Ben.

One thing is that I feel like they did not do an adequate job of tying Trip to Skye. They wasted time with Trip and Gemma and they should have been building the connection between him and Skye if that is what they wanted.

enraged_camel posted:

As a totally separate note, I really hope they bring back the original actor that played Agent 33. Re-using May's actor makes it difficult for me to take the character seriously.

I'm hoping Ward gets the mask off of her face as a way to further build trust but she is still scarred from it, assuming they are going the Madame Hydra route.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well, the nazi/Whitehall storyline has gotten more interesting, and Ward and his brother storyline is pretty much the highlight of the show for me now. So those things are cool.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
We had a much-maligned, too slowly paced first season that mostly dealt with the dynamics and friendships of the original team.

You know what we should do instead of pushing the plot forward in a second season that bends, tests, and ultimately relies on the dynamics from season 1? Rehash season 1.

Check please.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ToastyPotato posted:

One thing is that I feel like they did not do an adequate job of tying Trip to Skye. They wasted time with Trip and Gemma and they should have been building the connection between him and Skye if that is what they wanted.

I'm hoping Ward gets the mask off of her face as a way to further build trust but she is still scarred from it, assuming they are going the Madame Hydra route.

I hope he doesn't because the ensuing dialogue when they realize that Ward is sleeping with Mayface would be hilarious.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think we'll see more of Whitehall. He didn't even attempt to defend himself when Cal was approaching him, and as someone with Hydra's resources he probably knows who Cal really is and what he is capable of. Which makes me think that stealing those organs gave him more than just a fountain of youth effect.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

enraged_camel posted:

I think we'll see more of Whitehall. He didn't even attempt to defend himself when Cal was approaching him, and as someone with Hydra's resources he probably knows who Cal really is and what he is capable of. Which makes me think that stealing those organs gave him more than just a fountain of youth effect.

Or assuming that was the only gifted person who stole body parts from all those years.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

mikeraskol posted:

We had a much-maligned, too slowly paced first season that mostly dealt with the dynamics and friendships of the original team.

You know what we should do instead of pushing the plot forward in a second season that bends, tests, and ultimately relies on the dynamics from season 1? Rehash season 1.

Check please.

I don't think they should have rehashed it, but plot at the expense of character development doesn't seem like a good thing to me considering character development was one of the best things about the first season. It's not an either or situation. Are you saying that it's impossible to have a strong plot without good character development, because that's what you seem to be hinting at. It feels like Coulson, Skye's dad, Fitz and Whitehall are the only ones getting any development here. More than that, I felt the comedy was one of the better parts of the first season, and it's noticeably absent here. I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning how serious business season 2 is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Himuro posted:

I don't think they should have rehashed it, but plot at the expense of character development doesn't seem like a good thing to me considering character development was one of the best things about the first season. It's not an either or situation. Are you saying that it's impossible to have a strong plot without good character development, because that's what you seem to be hinting at. It feels like Coulson, Skye's dad, Fitz and Whitehall are the only ones getting any development here. More than that, I felt the comedy was one of the better parts of the first season, and it's noticeably absent here. I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning how serious business season 2 is.

My thoughts exactly.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel like the more plot focused nature of season 2 combined with the excellent character interaction and development of season 1 would make for high quality tv. Then again, I'm catching up and the past few episodes, noticeably episode 7, have been really good. So it seems to be getting a lot better. :)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

enraged_camel posted:

You mean other than pulling a gun on him???

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

You mean other than pulling a gun on him???

Also, don't forget that the very first thing he did was try to use his device on him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Himuro posted:

I feel like the more plot focused nature of season 2 combined with the excellent character interaction and development of season 1 would make for high quality tv. Then again, I'm catching up and the past few episodes, noticeably episode 7, have been really good. So it seems to be getting a lot better. :)
Did you watch Season 1 all in a row (netflix or what have you), or did you watch them week by week? I find that if you go all in a row, it's a lot easier to stomach. Week by week was torturous, so ponderously slow and formulaic.

Season 2 is much better week by week viewing because of the numerous cliff-hangers, unified plot, and quicker pace. Ditching the case-of-the-week format since the Hydra turn in S1 is what saved the show. Yeah, losing some of the more tongue-in-cheek nods like Lola or Sam L finding the bus in ruins is a loss, but the higher quality of the plot and individual motivations assigned to the characters beyond "doing our job for SHIELD" has more than made up for it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mack and Fitz was a way better dynamic than Fitz and Simmons, and Skye was such an unbearable character in season one I recall a tongue-in-cheek comment about the episode she spent in a coma being "her best performance yet."

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Emerson Cod posted:

That final scene had some movie-level CG. I know that they don't have the budget to do that kind of stuff every week, but it was really well done.

Considering that Agent Carter is ~10 episodes and all of the Netflix shows seem to be planned for ~10 episodes, that seems to be the average length Marvel is sticking with for their shows going forward. It allows them to do what Heroes tried to do - break up every 10-15 episodes into discrete volumes. Unlike Heroes, it actually has a wealth of storylines and characters to draw upon.

I hope that we get a build-up to Civil War on the back half of next season, giving RDJ an opportunity to get his cameo or, I can dream, multi-episode arc. With the Netflix shows, Skye's transformation to Quake, and the introduction of other tertiary Inhuman characters in SHIELD, it seems like Marvel is starting to populate the world with superheroes other than the Avengers.

I kinda hope that they somehow work Blade and the Punisher into the tv show, since they have nothing lined up for the next 5 year or whatever and they now have the rights to them.

Though the vampire thing might have run its course.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If the Absorbing Man got hosed up by touching the obelisk, does that mean that a lot of the people with powers running around aren't related to inhumane at all? How many ways are there for people to achieve super powers?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The fire guy in s1 didn't get an explanation, Blizzard and Graviton were exploding science cases.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Potsticker posted:

The fire guy in s1 didn't get an explanation, Blizzard and Graviton were exploding science cases.

Fire guy lived down-wind of a nuclear reactor.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TheChad posted:

Oh, I don't remember that at all. I do remember he was called Scorch now, though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheChad posted:

As a nuclear engineer I can't stop shaking my head.

Then I remember Hulk's original origin story.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Quite a lot of people got powers via attempts to replicate the Super Soldier Serum. That's what Centipede was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Potsticker posted:

Most super villains are created that way, or they're carnies. Marvel loves its carnies.

Phylodox posted:

Confirmed, Koenig is a Doombot.

DOOM Demands pretzels and scotch, and the Pixies Doolittle :doom:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sammus posted:

If the Absorbing Man got hosed up by touching the obelisk, does that mean that a lot of the people with powers running around aren't related to inhumane at all? How many ways are there for people to achieve super powers?

In the Marvel universe, just being anywhere gives you a chance to get superpowers.

Potsticker posted:

It should be noted that comic book Blizzard is an Inhuman now. He used to get powers from a suit, now he has ice powers all the time. It would be funny if he gets flame powers, though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pander posted:

Did you watch Season 1 all in a row (netflix or what have you), or did you watch them week by week? I find that if you go all in a row, it's a lot easier to stomach. Week by week was torturous, so ponderously slow and formulaic.

Season 2 is much better week by week viewing because of the numerous cliff-hangers, unified plot, and quicker pace. Ditching the case-of-the-week format since the Hydra turn in S1 is what saved the show. Yeah, losing some of the more tongue-in-cheek nods like Lola or Sam L finding the bus in ruins is a loss, but the higher quality of the plot and individual motivations assigned to the characters beyond "doing our job for SHIELD" has more than made up for it.

Yeah I marathoned season 1 on Netflix and loved every second of it. Season 2 was harder to stomach. The direction they're going in is sort of interesting, though, I'll give them that. Now that they've beaten Whitehall I'm sire there will be more character moments in the second half of the season.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Sammus posted:

Absorbing man drank a magic potion...

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Tripp's not dead, he's just invisible. Skye was crying because she was always being told she was special and Tripp was just some random dude who wasn't even an orphan or anything and he got a better power than her. Tripp will continue to be in every episode, but he probably won't get many lines and will use his power a lot.

If Ward is serious about getting together with Skye, he needs the DL on the face-changing technology Agent 33 used. Then he can re-infiltrate SHIELD, join Skye's team, and try to get her to fall in love with him while hoping to christ his disguise isn't compromised.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Himuro posted:

Himuro isn't the poster this thread deserves, but he(?) is the poster it needs right now. :spergin:

Also, is it just me or did the show just kind of drop Deathlok completely? Did they ever tie up his plot and I just missed/don't remember it?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I've just been thinking, if I hadn't been reading this thread since the start of the first season, I would have no idea of the significance of the names 'Cal' or 'Daisy', I still wouldn't have heard of 'Inhumans' (aside from the movie title) or 'Terrigen', and I definitely wouldn't have a clue that there was more than one way to interpret the dog-shooting scene.

I don't know if it's better one way or the other, just saying that to a casual watcher the show could be a very different experience.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Himuro isn't the poster this thread deserves, but he(?) is the poster it needs right now. :spergin:

Also, is it just me or did the show just kind of drop Deathlok completely? Did they ever tie up his plot and I just missed/don't remember it?

He basically went "Thanks for saving me and my son, you need anything lemme know. Alright, later" Then everything in season 2 happened, so understandably nobody cares that much about him when much more interesting plotlines are happening.

EDIT: VVV is funnier than my post.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

WarLocke posted:

He's out there somewhere in the LA Underground. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Deathlok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

It couldn't hurt to have Simmons technobabble for a few seconds to Stark or Hunter bitch to Hawkeye on a helicopter about these super powered people though.

Really great episode, and already making plots for the return. Mack's secret drive, Ward manipulating 33, the Inhuman network and probably some changes for Skye and Raina too.

It'd be hilarious if Raina gets the shittiest power in the universe after her mission to unlock it. "You win.. bones that poke through your skin like a porcupine!"

• Locked thread