Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Jesus the Sun.

It died, so that we might live

And when He returns (in about 4 billion years) then we'll all be returned to The Lord. By which I mean that the red giant that the sun becomes will consume us all.

I mean, Christianity subverted so much of the Druidic religion, and those drat hippie druids did a lot of nature worshiping that there was likely some overlap somewhere with solar worship.

The problem is that worshiping nature just didn’t suit the hubris of the time so it had to be adapted into the story of an actual person; the end result being that god made us “in his image”, because unfortunately the best that anyone could come up with for an all-powerful being was well, us, but all-powerful :effort:

I always find that to be the most humorous element of the most prevalent contemporary religions; that this was the best that they could come up with for the creator of the universe. Basically a human, but with universe creating powers. Design-by-committee at its finest. Hell at least the FSM is made of spaghetti.

All the rest of the stuff like christmas being the solstice and easter being the equinox was kept because it was more subversive to keep the existing dates and overwrite them with some human-related shenanigans but keep the symbolism. Also the effort thing.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

And when He returns (in about 4 billion years) then we'll all be returned to The Lord. By which I mean that the red giant that the sun becomes will consume us all.

I mean, Christianity subverted so much of the Druidic religion, and those drat hippie druids did a lot of nature worshiping that there were likely some overlap somewhere with solar worship.

The problem is that worshiping nature just didn’t suit the hubris of the time so it had to be adapted into the story of an actual person; the end result being that god made us “in his image”, because unfortunately the best that anyone could come up with for an all-powerful being was well, us, but all-powerful :effort:

I always find that the be the most humorous element of the most prevalent contemporary religions; that this was the best that they could come up with for the creator of the universe. Basically a human, but with universe creating powers. Design-by-committee at its finest. Hell at least the FSM is made of spaghetti.

All the rest of the stuff like christmas being the solstice and easter being the equinox was kept because it was more subversive to keep the existing dates and overwrite them with some human-related shenanigans but keep the symbolism. Also the effort thing.

It doesn't help that the vigor of an apocalyptic, world-denying church is bound to taper off as the centuries pass

"Yeah...he's not coming back." <---the secret, true belief of all priests

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Space Whale posted:

Let's kick this up a notch.

Boltzmann Brain!

and another: SOLIPSISM!

You're god falsely remembering creation that never happened but sprang into being a moment ago, and created me through your imagination.

WHOA

But I keep remembering the most recent moment. That feels like a real redundancy somewhere, someone should look into that.

Maybe we're all Boltzmann Brains that got bored with floating through the ether and designed an environment through which we could experience something other than ... you know, floating through ether. Or in a virtual prison for those brains of us who committed crimes. I feel like as a floating brain I could have got up to some really bad poo poo.

Why would I bother to discuss solipsism with any of you?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

markgreyam posted:

But I keep remembering the most recent moment. That feels like a real redundancy somewhere, someone should look into that.

Maybe we're all Boltzmann Brains that got bored with floating through the ether and designed an environment through which we could experience something other than ... you know, floating through ether. Or in a virtual prison for those brains of us who committed crimes. I feel like as a floating brain I could have got up to some really bad poo poo.

Why would I bother to discuss solipsism with any of you?

What if it's with yourself and we're all just the same brain? *bubble noises*

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Ernest Hemingway posted:

There is a possible world where a necessary supernatural being exists.

If it is possible that it is necessary for a supernatural being to exist, then it is necessary that this supernatural being exists.

It is necessary that this being (God) exists.

There is no possible world where an impossible supernatural being exists.

If it is not possible that it is impossible for a supernatural being to exist, then it is necessary that this supernatural being does not exist.

It is necessary that this being (God) does not exist.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That all furries are not deathly allergic to peanuts or chlorine gas is a pretty solid proof that God does not exist.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Post 9-11 User posted:

That all furries are not deathly allergic to peanuts or chlorine gas is a pretty solid proof that God does not exist.

Yes I'm inferring this from what you've said, but if there is a furry or anyone who isn't allergic** to chlorine gas then that's actually proof that

God

evolution

that place which created the six million dollar man

(okay fine) God

does exist.

**will die when exposed to

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

I Am The Scum posted:

There is no possible world where an impossible supernatural being exists.

This isn't saying anything. Since 'impossible' means the same as 'there is no possible world', your first premise can be restated as:

"There is no possible world where there is no possible world where a supernatural being exists."

If this seems nonsensical, it's because it is - 'impossible' is not a predicate; it is not a trait that an object can be characterized by.

Edit: It would be simpler for you to just say: "There is no possible world where a supernatural being exists". Which begs the question...

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 10, 2014

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ernest Hemingway posted:

There is a possible world where a necessary supernatural being exists.
What do you base this on?

quote:

If it is possible that it is necessary for a supernatural being to exist, then it is necessary that this supernatural being exists.
Why?

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Edit: It would be simpler for you to just say: "There is no possible world where a supernatural being exists". Which begs the question...

How does this beg the question any more than saying that it is possible that a necessary supernatural being exists?

EDIT: In other words, if you can define God as a necessary being, then I can define him as an impossible being.

I Am The Scum fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 10, 2014

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

What do you base this on?

God is an entirely perfect being. Necessary existence is a trait of an entirely perfect being.

Modal logic. It's pretty simple really - when describing something as necessary or possible (i.e. ascribing modal operators of N or P) - any string of Ns and/or Ps that precedes that thing is only equivalent to the last operator in the string, and vice versa.

So, saying that (G) is possible implies that (G) is necessarily possible. i.e. P(G)->NP(G).

Likewise, if it is possible for something to be necessary, it is necessary. i.e. PN(G)->N(G).

Saying that something is possibly possible, or necessarily necessary is just a long winded way of saying something is possible, or necessary: PP(G)->P(G), NN(G)->N(G)

...and just to drive the point home: NPPPNNP(G)-> P(G).

If you consider all possible worlds, and submit that God exists in at least one of these worlds PN(G), then it is implied that God must exist, since PN(G)->N(G).

If God exists in any possible world, then God must exist in all possible worlds.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ernest Hemingway posted:

God is an entirely perfect being. Necessary existence is a trait of an entirely perfect being.
That doesn't answer my question at all.

quote:

Modal logic. It's pretty simple really - when describing something as necessary or possible (i.e. ascribing modal operators of N or P) - any string of Ns and/or Ps that precedes that thing is only equivalent to the last operator in the string, and vice versa.

So, saying that (G) is possible implies that (G) is necessarily possible. i.e. P(G)->NP(G).

Likewise, if it is possible for something to be necessary, it is necessary. i.e. PN(G)->N(G).

Saying that something is possibly possible, or necessarily necessary is just a long winded way of saying something is possible, or necessary: PP(G)->P(G), NN(G)->N(G)

...and just to drive the point home: NPPPNNP(G)-> P(G).

If you consider all possible worlds, and submit that God exists in at least one of these worlds PN(G), then it is implied that God must exist, since PN(G)->N(G).

If God exists in any possible world, then God must exist in all possible worlds.

This is a load of waffle that would also prove the existence of magical penis unicorns. Plus, why do the bolded part?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

That doesn't answer my question at all.

Could you clarify as to what exactly what your question is?

bitterandtwisted posted:

This is a load of waffle that would also prove the existence of magical penis unicorns. Plus, why do the bolded part?

The logic is actually quite sound - you can't really reject the argument on the ground of its axioms (I didn't invent modal logic). And no, this argument can't be used to prove the existence of magical penis unicorns. Necessary existence is a trait that can only be possessed by God.

As for the bolded part - in order to reject it, you would have to prove that it is impossible for God to exist.... which is much more philosophically dubious than submitting, at least, to the possibility of God's existence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

The logic is actually quite sound - you can't really reject the argument on the ground of its axioms (I didn't invent modal logic). And no, this argument can't be used to prove the existence of magical penis unicorns. Necessary existence is a trait that can only be possessed by God.

Okay, prove it outside of a metaphysical 'What if' argument.

Otherwise, while we cannot disprove/prove god, claiming that what ifs make him a reality is no more true.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.
God has to be a single cell bacterium given our evolutionary history.

Asshole Businessman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, prove it outside of a metaphysical 'What if' argument.

Otherwise, while we cannot disprove/prove god, claiming that what ifs make him a reality is no more true.

Well, if the argument holds, I fail to see how the sort of argument it is (metaphysical, or otherwise) affects the strength of its conclusion.

Are you asking for an argument based on empirical evidence? I'm afraid I don't have one (no one does).

And so far I'm submitting that we CAN prove God. Which means that if you don't prove me wrong by Sunday you all have to go to church.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Ernest Hemingway posted:

The problem is that it begins by assuming the greatest thing must exist. Yes, the greatest thing would have the property of existence, but it's not necessarily true that there IS a "greatest thing". That's where the unicorns come into play: just because we can imagine it or describe it, does not mean it's there, even if the thing we imagine has the property of being there.

Like, my version of the best chocolate cake in the world would include the property of being in my kitchen right now, yet I am cakeless.

bitterandtwisted posted:

This is a load of waffle

What a spectacular turn of phrase

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

And so far I'm submitting that we CAN prove God. Which means that if you don't prove me wrong by Sunday you all have to go to church.

Is there an invisible dragon in your garage...?

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Well, if the argument holds, I fail to see how the sort of argument it is (metaphysical, or otherwise) affects the strength of its conclusion.

Are you asking for an argument based on empirical evidence? I'm afraid I don't have one (no one does).

Yep. No one does. Not even you. So arguing that you have PROVEN god while NOT proving god is a worthless exercise in circular logic.

If you believe in god. Good. Good for you. Don't try to sell it to us as 'proven' though, because in that case its no more proven than any child's imaginary friend or any other 'belief' that requires nothing more than positive thinking.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Why? I postulate it's possible for magical penis unicorns to be necessary and if it is possible for something to be necessary, it is necessary. i.e. PN(G)->N(G).

quote:

As for the bolded part - in order to reject it, you would have to prove that it is impossible for God to exist.... which is much more philosophically dubious than submitting, at least, to the possibility of God's existence.

'Possible' only in the sense of 'not inherently contradictory', just like MPUs.

I don't need to prove God or MPUs are impossible, I just assume they don't exist until there's evidence to the contrary. All you can really do with a particular claim is assume it's false until there is evidence to the contrary.
Take the claim 'some crows are white'. You have to accept it's trivially true that it's possible, in that crows aren't black by definition, but there is no reason to accept it as true without evidence.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

The problem is that it begins by assuming the greatest thing must exist. Yes, the greatest thing would have the property of existence, but it's not necessarily true that there IS a "greatest thing". That's where the unicorns come into play: just because we can imagine it or describe it, does not mean it's there, even if the thing we imagine has the property of being there.

Like, my version of the best chocolate cake in the world would include the property of being in my kitchen right now, yet I am cakeless.

You're thinking in terms of existence/non-existence and not in terms of necessary existence/contingent existence - your conception of the perfect cookie might include it's existence - but as Kant established, existence is not something that can be predicated onto something- i.e. regardless of what qualities A consists of, it either exists or it doesn't (You can have a real or imaginary A with qualities C,B,D - but you can't have an imaginary A that also exists ) this is why "The perfect (X) argument fails to address a more refined understanding of the ontological argument. When you imagine the perfect cookie existing, you don't imagine it necessarily existing - and you couldn't because cookies can't necessarily exist (i.e. there is at least one possible world where the cookie is not on the table).

Now, when we're talking about necessary/contingent existence the picture becomes difference. There is no possible world where 1+1 does not equal 2 and no possible world with a married bachelor in it. Likewise with God.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Now, when we're talking about necessary/contingent existence the picture becomes difference. There is no possible world where 1+1 does not equal 2 and no possible world with a married bachelor in it. Likewise with God.

This is called a god of the gaps argument, and its a logical fallacy. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

Also: What the gently caress is that bolded part? That is just mind numbingly bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Ernest Hemingway posted:

You're thinking in terms of existence/non-existence and not in terms of necessary existence/contingent existence - your conception of the perfect cookie might include it's existence - but as Kant established, existence is not something that can be predicated onto something- i.e. regardless of what qualities A consists of, it either exists or it doesn't (You can have a real or imaginary A with qualities C,B,D - but you can't have an imaginary A that also exists ) this is why "The perfect (X) argument fails to address a more refined understanding of the ontological argument. When you imagine the perfect cookie existing, you don't imagine it necessarily existing - and you couldn't because cookies can't necessarily exist (i.e. there is at least one possible world where the cookie is not on the table).

The perfect cookie doesn't exist till someone actually creates it. It IS imaginary till its actually materialized. Likewise with God. Once again: Nobody is claiming god doesn't exist and they have the proof, they are claiming that there is insufficient evidence to accept that he does, as most of the natural things attributed to him have natural answers instead of supernatural ones.

You cannot try to use a materiel object that can be formed in reality with ease as proof that a metaphysical object exists.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 10, 2014

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Jack says God is a necessary being.
Jill says God is an impossible being.
Jim says God is possible, but not necessary.

How do we know who is right?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I think you have to prove that God has necessary existence. I don't buy it. You've said that "If God exists in any possible world, then God must exist in all possible worlds." - I disagree with that conclusion, AND I disagree that God exists in "any possible world".

I mean, if you're talking about multiverse theory or some poo poo, well, okay? I guess? But to me it seems like the conclusion of that line of argument is "everything exists" which is completely unhelpful. And proves both my ultimate cake and penis unicorns.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
God isn't real. I did it.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

This is called a god of the gaps argument, and its a logical fallacy. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

Also: What the gently caress is that bolded part? That is just mind numbingly bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

I think you're mistaken here, unless I'm misunderstanding the content in the "God of the gaps" argument - to my understanding it pertains to an argument wherein a supernatural being is necessary, or suitable in order to explain gaps in scientific knowledge.

My argument is an ontological one based on modal logic, it does not relate in any way to scientific knowledge so I fail to see how you've connected my argument to this fallacy. (it is also why I won't address counterpoints that bring up notions of 'sufficient evidence' - they simply don't apply to my argument)

As for the bolded part - I concede that the bachelor thing is a lovely example (I was running out the door!). I was just trying to exemplify how things like a truth by definition would hold true in any possible world - which is reasonable, but arguably trivial, observation.

CommieGIR posted:

The perfect cookie doesn't exist till someone actually creates it. It IS imaginary till its actually materialized. Likewise with God. Once again: Nobody is claiming god doesn't exist and they have the proof, they are claiming that there is insufficient evidence to accept that he does, as most of the natural things attributed to him have natural answers instead of supernatural ones.

You cannot try to use a materiel object that can be formed in reality with ease as proof that a metaphysical object exists.

So, in regards to the cookie: a potential thing is not an actual thing until it is actualized. I agree.

But I'm specifically claiming that God is not a contingent being, but a necessary being - so your point about the cookie does not apply to my characterization of God.

When people bring up "The perfect (x)" argument they're not grasping the semantics of the argument they're opposing. As a result of this, the argument gets characterized as implying that somehow conceiving of a perfect thing performatively establishes that thing's existence. This is silly. It's important to remember that it's not about 'perfection' but 'necessity' - so, since there is a possible world where you don't conceive of the perfect cake, the existence of that cake is contingent on that possible world not be the actual world (and furthermore, the cake wouldn't have come into existence until the point in time when you concieved it) - so the 'perfect cake' has contingent existence, which is fundamentally different from a thing (God) which has a necessary existence.

Thus, 'The perfect (x)' argument doesn't refute the ontological argument and people should stop using it.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

I think you have to prove that God has necessary existence.

So, what you'd be claiming is that although God is an entirely perfect being, necessary existence isn't a trait that an entirely perfect being would possess?

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012
How do you explain the beauty of the Grand Canyon if there's no such thing as God?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

By using the 'God is a necessary being you are making the watchmaker argument.

Still a very poor argument, and in no way ratifies or verifies the argument you are trying to present.

Once again, while none of us can verify/disqualify the existence of God, neither can you do so with god of the gaps and watchmaker arguments.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Ernest Hemingway posted:

So, what you'd be claiming is that although God is an entirely perfect being, necessary existence isn't a trait that an entirely perfect being would possess?

No more than the perfect cake necessarily existing. You contend that the difference is, the cake doesn't exist as a concept until we conceive of it, but I submit that the same is true for God. We invented Him as an idea, and ascribed to Him the quality of "perfection", thus the argument came about that since he is perfect, he must exist, QED.

This is one of those fun tricks of logic, like Xeno's Paradox (you must go halfway before you can go the full way, must go a quarter of the way before half way, etc etc, thus you can never get anywhere). You use these definitions and seeming-truths to construct a conclusion that doesn't at all match up to reality. But in the end, it does not change the fact that we are the ones who dreamt Him up (prove we didn't), and just like the best cake, or the perfect girlfriend, or the ideal world, it doesn't exist just because it would exist if it were really perfect.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
"If I think a thing is true, it must be" is a loving child's understanding of the world.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ernest Hemingway posted:

So, in regards to the cookie: a potential thing is not an actual thing until it is actualized. I agree.

But I'm specifically claiming that God is not a contingent being, but a necessary being - so your point about the cookie does not apply to my characterization of God.

When people bring up "The perfect (x)" argument they're not grasping the semantics of the argument they're opposing. As a result of this, the argument gets characterized as implying that somehow conceiving of a perfect thing performatively establishes that thing's existence. This is silly. It's important to remember that it's not about 'perfection' but 'necessity' - so, since there is a possible world where you don't conceive of the perfect cake, the existence of that cake is contingent on that possible world not be the actual world (and furthermore, the cake wouldn't have come into existence until the point in time when you concieved it) - so the 'perfect cake' has contingent existence, which is fundamentally different from a thing (God) which has a necessary existence.

Thus, 'The perfect (x)' argument doesn't refute the ontological argument and people should stop using it.

Let me have a go: we have some property, "A". We use it to define a second property "B" as "a thing exhibits property B if it exhibits property A and necessarily exists.". Imagine the most B thing possible, by your argument it would exist, regardless of what A was, right?

But A could be anything, such as "being an orange cube on this desk in front of me, that I would definitely notice and not lie about on the internet".

There is no orange cube on my desk.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

jryan42988 posted:

How do you explain the beauty of the Grand Canyon if there's no such thing as God?

water + wind + time + the necessity of human eyeballs + the necessity of self-aware thought + the subjective concept of beauty

By what metric is god 'necessary'? (are you making a Kantian/Platonic argument here?)

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

By using the 'God is a necessary being you are making the watchmaker argument.

Still a very poor argument, and in no way ratifies or verifies the argument you are trying to present.

Once again, while none of us can verify/disqualify the existence of God, neither can you do so with god of the gaps and watchmaker arguments.

Far from it, actually. The watchmaker argument speaks to the notion of causality and depends on the notion of necessary causality. My argument is not about causality and when I use the word necessary, I'm using it in a different sense - i.e. it is logically contradictory to deny a necessary something.

I haven't used the gaps or watchmaker arguments at all so I don't know why you are attributing them to me.

No more than the perfect cake necessarily existing. You contend that the difference is, the cake doesn't exist as a concept until we conceive of it, but I submit that the same is true for God. We invented Him as an idea, and ascribed to Him the quality of "perfection", thus the argument came about that since he is perfect, he must exist, QED.

This is one of those fun tricks of logic, like Xeno's Paradox (you must go halfway before you can go the full way, must go a quarter of the way before half way, etc etc, thus you can never get anywhere). You use these definitions and seeming-truths to construct a conclusion that doesn't at all match up to reality. But in the end, it does not change the fact that we are the ones who dreamt Him up (prove we didn't), and just like the best cake, or the perfect girlfriend, or the ideal world, it doesn't exist just because it would exist if it were really perfect.

Well, now you're characterizing God as a contingent entity as per a psychological approach (yes, we dreamnt God up and anthropomorphized him at some point), but you're not really addressing the issue of God as a necessary being so much as just asserting the opposite without argument. (To be fair I haven't provided an argument for God as a necessary being, it's just something I've stated).... if it helps, I'm trying to characterize the concept of God as a strictly logical concept which possesses 'necessary existence' as an essential property.

Dzhay posted:

Let me have a go: we have some property, "A". We use it to define a second property "B" as "a thing exhibits property B if it exhibits property A and necessarily exists.". Imagine the most B thing possible, by your argument it would exist, regardless of what A was, right?

But A could be anything, such as "being an orange cube on this desk in front of me, that I would definitely notice and not lie about on the internet".

There is no orange cube on my desk.

So we have:
Property 1 = (A) = 'beingness' of an orange cube on your desk
Property 2 = (B) = another, unspecified property
A thing = x = an unspecified thin
Is necessary = N
Not = ~

and you state:

(IF) Nx and x(A) ->(THEN) x(B)
~A

Which means merely that isn't an orange cube on your desk, and speaks nothing to the other elements in your formulation. x(B) is still possible, and Nx is undetermined (though impossible to ever satisfy because the notion of a necessary, contingent object contradicts itself - that is, a thing cannot be true in all possible worlds, while simultaneously being true in some worlds and false in others).

...... and that's where I'm drawing the line. I'm done stirring the pot.

Well, the weakness of my argument is that the premise of it 'being possible that a necessary supernatural being exists' is very problematic, and while there are plenty of ways to defend it and respond to scrutiny, none are really persuasive enough to force anyone to accept it as true.

The popular 'perfect cake, etc.' argument really becomes a crutch for a lot of people once ontological arguments start getting brought up... it's not as decisive as people think it is, and the ontological argument really doesn't commit any obvious fallacies that can't be robustly responded to. While the perfect dick unicorn rebuttal is still very relevant, it applies more to older formulations derived by Anselm, Descartes, etc. - and even in that realm there are good responses. But once you make the logical/modal switch you really do have to drop the high school atheist playbook and engage it with formal logic, which most people (myself included) aren't capable of doing to any meaningful degree.

For anyone interest a modern version of the ontological argument, reading about Gödel is a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_ontological_proof and an example of what gets produced by the people who engage his proof: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.4526v4.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Far from it, actually. The watchmaker argument speaks to the notion of causality and depends on the notion of necessary causality. My argument is not about causality and when I use the word necessary, I'm using it in a different sense - i.e. it is logically contradictory to deny a necessary something.

Still missing a key part: The proof that something is necessary implies you proving this 'necessity'

You have not done that yet. Nor have you shown how it is 'logically contradictory', in fact you've done your best to make it as illogical as possible.

Keep trying. Oh, and you did indeed make a Watchmaker implication.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Well, now you're characterizing God as a contingent entity as per a psychological approach (yes, we dreamnt God up and anthropomorphized him at some point), but you're not really addressing the issue of God as a necessary being so much as just asserting the opposite without argument. (To be fair I haven't provided an argument for God as a necessary being, it's just something I've stated).... if it helps, I'm trying to characterize the concept of God as a strictly logical concept which possesses 'necessary existence' as an essential property.

God is not a logical concept. Its a 'fill in the unknowns' concept. Stop doing that. Remember where I said you made a god of the gaps argument? You just did it again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 11, 2014

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ernest Hemingway posted:

So we have:
Property 1 = (A) = 'beingness' of an orange cube on your desk
Property 2 = (B) = another, unspecified property
A thing = x = an unspecified thin
Is necessary = N
Not = ~

and you state:

(IF) Nx and x(A) ->(THEN) x(B)
~A
Actually B was specified, it was "Having property A and necessarily existing". (A&N in your terminology, I guess)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dzhay posted:

Actually B was specified, it was "Having property A and necessarily existing". (A&N in your terminology, I guess)

He inserted N to imply that God is an unknown necessary. Which is utter nonsense.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Dzhay posted:

Oh, then it's simple - property A, unless it is a property that is an essential property of a necessary being, couldn't be attributed to a necessary being. So property A can't be just anything as "Having property A and necessarily existing" contradicts itself if property A is something that could possibly be otherwise (like an orange on your desk).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Oh, then it's simple - property A, unless it is a property that is an essential property of a necessary being, couldn't be attributed to a necessary being. So property A can't be just anything as "Having property A and necessarily existing" contradicts itself if property A is something that could possibly be otherwise (like an orange on your desk).

Still waiting on you to prove the necessity of this 'being' in a logical manner that doesn't involve circular logic and poorly though out pseudo-intellectualism

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Still missing a key part: The proof that something is necessary implies you proving this 'necessity'

You have not done that yet. Nor have you shown how it is 'logically contradictory', in fact you've done your best to make it as illogical as possible.

You're right, I haven't (and I'm not going to!). The argument, in most cases, would have to proceed from here.

The non-controversial claim I am making is that if God were proven to be a necessary being, then the fundamental characteristic of that proof would be showing that it is logically contradictory to deny God's existence.

CommieGIR posted:

Keep trying. Oh, and you did indeed make a Watchmaker implication. Remember where I said you made a god of the gaps argument? You just did it again.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I really do need you to explain how I'm doing this.

CommieGIR posted:

God is not a logical concept.

I think you've misunderstood me here. God, like any other concept, can be represented symbolically in logic formulations. I meant that that was how I was characterizing God in my arguments - to lead it into more of a logical analysis direction than a space-monkey-in-the-sky one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernest Hemingway posted:

You're right, I haven't (and I'm not going to!). The argument, in most cases, would have to proceed from here.

The non-controversial claim I am making is that if God were proven to be a necessary being, then the fundamental characteristic of that proof would be showing that it is logically contradictory to deny God's existence.

Congrats. You are making the logic equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going 'LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU'

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I think you've misunderstood me here. God, like any other concept, can be represented symbolically in logic formulations. I meant that that was how I was characterizing God in my arguments - to lead it into more of a logical analysis direction than a space-monkey-in-the-sky one.

Nope. Either you prove how he is somehow a necessary component to reality, or you stop trying to make claims you can't back.

You CLAIM he is a necessity, but then you REFUSE to prove he is a necessity.

Therefore, he is not a necessity, and you are either trolling to just making poorly through out logical arguments for the sake of it.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I really do need you to explain how I'm doing this.

You make claims to imply god is a necessity to everyday reality and materialistic objects. This is almost exactly what the watchmaker argument is ("A Watch implies a watchmaker, therefore reality is far too complex to exist without a creator, therefore god)

Its both a Watchmaker and God of the Gaps analogy all rolled into one.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread