Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Primo Itch posted:

Yep. The thing with ektar isn't the scanning, but how it has crazy colour shifts unless perfectly exposed and how it doesn't handle low-light situations well. It's also supposed to have some insanely small grain, but I've never had the opportunity to scan it at high enough resolutions to figure out if its true.

Here's a thing with a 5DII up against 35mm Ektar and also some Vision3 500T

http://www.twinlenslife.com/2011/01/digital-vs-film-canon-5d-mark-ii-vs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Primo Itch posted:

Yep. The thing with ektar isn't the scanning, but how it has crazy colour shifts unless perfectly exposed and how it doesn't handle low-light situations well. It's also supposed to have some insanely small grain, but I've never had the opportunity to scan it at high enough resolutions to figure out if its true.

I have scanned medium format Ektar at roughly 4800 DPI and it's gorgeous.

But as others have said the light needs to be right, and even then colour shifts can happen. The highlight range is quite good, though. It's the shadows that are lacking (and purple). Still, even so - it's not the most resolving film. In my experience that honour belongs to Fuji's Acros 100 (in Fuji's Microfine), Provia 100F and 64T (Type I and II, the newest III has lower RMS but terrible colour and lower resolution.) which out-resolve my scanner.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone ever had an issue with their Pentax 6x7 where the exposure dial is loose and just spins all the way around without stopping on any individual setting? I'm in Iceland right now and having this issue and need to know if I'm able to fix this myself with commonly available tools ASAP. :/

I have my Mark III with me but it's not the same

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone ever had an issue with their Pentax 6x7 where the exposure dial is loose and just spins all the way around without stopping on any individual setting? I'm in Iceland right now and having this issue and need to know if I'm able to fix this myself with commonly available tools ASAP. :/

I have my Mark III with me but it's not the same

On my 67 (first gen) the shutter dial is held in by three tiny screws the side of the dial that use a very small standard drive screw driver. Sounds like they might be loose, can you pull the dial up and down?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ezekiel_980 posted:

On my 67 (first gen) the shutter dial is held in by three tiny screws the side of the dial that use a very small standard drive screw driver. Sounds like they might be loose, can you pull the dial up and down?

Only just barely

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I had the exact same issue, easily fixed with a jeweler's screwdriver.

murp
May 30, 2007
Pics from an old Wizard of oz theme park in NC. Mamiya 645, 45mm 2.8 w/ CPL, Portra 400 (box speed)

07320005 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

07320009 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

07320011 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Something happened during scanning, leaving a big scratch down the right side :/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

murp posted:

Pics from an old Wizard of oz theme park in NC. Mamiya 645, 45mm 2.8 w/ CPL, Portra 400 (box speed)

07320005 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

07320009 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

07320011 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Something happened during scanning, leaving a big scratch down the right side :/

That's happened to me. Your calibration zone is dusty.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
trash by PC-P, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

JWCC by alkanphel, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Niiiice

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

eggsovereasy posted:

Fuji has some authorized service centers with the gw690 specified as a model they work on listed here: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportProductContent.do?dbid=670678&prodcat=701538&sscucatid=664278

You may want to call first though.

I emailed all of these people and most got back to me saying that they are no longer authorized Fuji repair shops. However Professional Photographic Repair in San Diego quoted me $350 to service the shutter.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I just bit the bullet on an ebay auction for a GW690II :ohdear:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested, there's a really nice looking 690II at only $202 USD right now with less than 12 hours left. Considering $300 is a good deal, you might be able to snag this for even less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390990773767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Tragic twist in my saga of Yond Cassius' Astia project. My Kiev 60 jammed on frame 5. The film advance lever goes no further than about 1/4 of the distance it's supposed to go, the shutter cannot be cocked, and the film cannot be moved on the rolls - normally the uptake roll can be ratcheted forward but this action is also jammed.

If I can't figure this out, I'll move the film to my ancient 6x9 folder, so it's not (yet) a total loss. Has anyone had a similar problem in either a Kiev 60 or the Pentacon Six it's based on?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Tragic twist in my saga of Yond Cassius' Astia project. My Kiev 60 jammed on frame 5. The film advance lever goes no further than about 1/4 of the distance it's supposed to go, the shutter cannot be cocked, and the film cannot be moved on the rolls - normally the uptake roll can be ratcheted forward but this action is also jammed.

If I can't figure this out, I'll move the film to my ancient 6x9 folder, so it's not (yet) a total loss. Has anyone had a similar problem in either a Kiev 60 or the Pentacon Six it's based on?

On the Pentacon Six there is a little tiny lever under the film advance that will unjam it. I don't see it in pictures of the Kiev, though, so that may be one of the mechanisms that got simplified away.

This is, however, my nigh-universal unjamming technique:

1 - Take note of which exposure you're on.
2 - Put the camera in a dark bag, or get yourself (with the camera) into a darkroom. Safelights off, of course.
3 - Open the back of the camera just enough to let it reset the film counter, de-tension everything, and think it's back at the beginning of the roll.
4 - Close camera back up and try winding again.
5 - Shoot the rest of the roll, counting in your head (or on a stickynote on the camera).

You will lose the little bit of film you advanced on this frame, but there's enough extra length in 120 to make up for that and still give you 12 exposures.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Sleepy Catte by Christian Obermanns, on Flickr

Learning the ways of my new Pentax 67. Does anyone have a good light meter suggestion? The prism works some of the time, but it's very hit or miss and i'd like to get something to double check / do incident metering.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I picked up a Gossen Digisix based on some goon recommendations and it's treated me well so far.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Baron Dirigible posted:

Gossen Digisix

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ethanfr0me posted:

Sleepy Catte by Christian Obermanns, on Flickr

Learning the ways of my new Pentax 67. Does anyone have a good light meter suggestion? The prism works some of the time, but it's very hit or miss and i'd like to get something to double check / do incident metering.

If you don't have the money for an actual meter, there are a number of smart phone apps that work fine in a pinch. I use the one called (for some reason) Light Meter. It also cuts down on the amount of poo poo you have to carry and is a little more inconspicuous if you're shooting in public.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is there any way to avoid getting streaking from lights on long exposures with the GW690?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

try it with a lime posted:

Is there any way to avoid getting streaking from lights on long exposures with the GW690?

Do you have an example? I haven't seen that yet.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

In the frame? Out of the frame?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Yes, you need to end the long exposure by covering the lens with the cap or your hand etc, and then rolling the film on to the next frame triggering the shutter.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

:doh: I hadn't even thought of that. Usually I do cover it, but that would explain the inconsistency of it. Thanks.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I ended up using shots with streaks in the exhibition I had this year, sometimes they work well, other times they just look a little lovely, especially in horizontal shots.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

This thing looks brand new. The counter only shows 45. I wonder if that's accurate or it's been reset or rolled over 999. Based on the condition, I would believe it's only taken 450 photos.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

BANME.sh posted:

This thing looks brand new. The counter only shows 45. I wonder if that's accurate or it's been reset or rolled over 999. Based on the condition, I would believe it's only taken 450 photos.

So sexy.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
My wife is laughing at me because of how clownishly large it is

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

My wife is laughing at me because of how clownishly large it is

Go get a GX680 and she'll stop laughing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Probably the previous owner could only afford to shoot 450 pictures before running out of money and having to sell the camera to continue to eat.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I powered through the first test roll with this thing and people weren't kidding when they said the lens was contrasty.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 11, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Wow you don't mess around.

Great now I have to sell some camera gear to buy one.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I have no regrets. I was able to take both of those handheld at 1/30s because of the leaf shutter.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 11, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Too bad the stuff I'm willing to sell is garbage nobody wants.

Looks awesome, great purchase.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Tada.

Stars by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Also, I have the 6x7 45mm lens showing up tomorrow :pervert:

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 11, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007