Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Here's a Tiger vs. Sherman incident from the same blog that posted the Korean Tanker report:

Antipodean Armour posted:

This slogging match lasted all afternoon. Second-Lieutenant Harry Hodge's 7 Troop, coming forward through the smoke of the burning tanks to reinforce the badly-hit 5 and 8 Troops, joined battle with the Tiger, which moved from its cemetery down the gully to B Squadron's right, and was stopped in a maize field as it tried to climb the opposite hill to Route 2. It was not easy to bring the guns to bear on it–in the end only Corporal Bruce Johnstone's9 tank, with Trooper ‘Squat’ Warren10 on the gun, was able to shoot with any chance of success, firing from the shelter of a tall clump of bushes. The other crews of 7 Troop took ammunition from their tanks to keep up Johnstone's supply. Johnstone writes of the action:

We used H.E. shells to observe our bursts & then continued to use AP & APHE…. We had to knock the tops off some very tall trees in the gully for us to see our target eventually…. We could see the AP bouncing from his hide.

Luckily the Tiger, being now on the far slope of the gully and stern on to its assailant, couldn't elevate its gun to return the fire. It was a rare opportunity.

While this was going on, the Villa Bonazza and its plantations, which were still full of Germans, were taking a battering from the artillery. As the afternoon wore on the fire from the villa faltered, and by evening the place was empty. Jerry had apparently had enough and had retired from the field.

The Tiger was left dead in the maize field, a pathetic derelict, damaged beyond repair and finally blown up by its crew. Nobody realised this till next morning. It was cause for celebration in 18 Regiment, for this was 2 NZ Division's first Tiger. The tankies swarmed over it, admiring it and the persistent gunnery that had wounded it to death. Its fame went far and wide, spread through the Division by a bold NZEF Times reporter who wrote:

Even in death she is the biggest and most lethal-looking tank any of us has ever seen. The broad tracks are broken and scarred by three armour-piercing shells. It was not these that put her out of action. The tracks are not entirely cut and the bogies are undamaged…. Apart from several shells which hit and almost penetrated the armour belt, and several more which cut great gouges in the turret, there is the one which pierced two inches of steel, tore off the engine cover, and ricochetted back to damage the engine itself. This is the shell which finally made the Germans decide that it was time to leave.

But such victories are not won without loss. Six killed and eleven wounded in one day's fighting is heavy for an armoured unit—it was the 18th's worst day in Italy, surpassing even the famous 15 December on the Orsogna road.

Official History of New Zealand in the Second World War 1939–45, 18 Battalion and Armoured Regiment, W.D. Dawson, War History Branch, Department of Internal Affairs Wellington, New Zealand 1961, Page 509-510
http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.hk/2014/11/the-18ths-worst-day-in-italy.html

The relevant chapter of the official history is here, and it seems almost like the classic 'we blasted it with rounds from the front, took too many casualties, and eventually got round the side and hit it from there."

Edit: This made me think of Hegel, for some reason

'Antipodean Armour' posted:

The regiment had adopted the current fashion of unusual headgear, as a steady number of panamas and Borsalinos had been ‘liberated’. When the General called on Div Cav to remonstrate, he first encountered one of the RHQ NCOs in the full-dress uniform of an Italian admiral. This must have shocked him a bit, but a moment or two later he was put under even greater strain. He found next a group of Staghounds, not one of which was battle-worthy, it being impossible to traverse the turrets for the great barrels of Chianti strapped to the hulls.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

Edit: This made me think of Hegel, for some reason
someone's been having an excellent war :yotj:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

someone's been having an excellent war :yotj:
I think you mean :toot: there, :yotj: is kind of what Romania did in that war.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jaguars! posted:

The regiment had adopted the current fashion of unusual headgear,

loving WW2 hipsters

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving WW2 hipsters

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

I think you mean :toot: there, :yotj: is kind of what Romania did in that war.
No? The happy little guy is drinking straight from the bottle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just like to think that wars are basically like the best stag party ever, until they aren't anymore.

HEY GAL posted:

No? The happy little guy is drinking straight from the bottle.
It's about leaving a lovely IT job for a new "better" IT job that will probably turn lovely soon too. The bottle is standard issue sysadmin whiskey.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I was reading some stuff on chobham armor and kinetic penetrators, and the depleted uranium article mentioned many of the positives of DU for penetrating, like density. However it mentioned something about the round self-sharpening, can anyone explain what that means exactly? I didn't find anything but additional usage so...whats with that? I think I get how shaped charges do their thing, but I don't get how staballoy does its thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
After reading this thread I no longer ever want to read anything about tanks ever.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

vintagepurple posted:

What was the life of an artilleryman like during the world wars, expecially the first? It seems like almost all the accounts focus on front-line infantry or on flashy jobs like pilot. Were they artillery full-time or did they get sent on patrols, second-rate infantry missions, etc. like modern artillery units often do?

Arquinsiel posted:

I just like to think that wars are basically like the best stag party ever, until they aren't anymore.

Two different posts that both lead back to Lance-Bombardier Spike Milligan's war memoirs! It's all Second World War, but a great insight into how to go to war, do your job, and not die.

I've added "life as a gunner/sapper/driver vs life in the PBI" to the list of 100YA dull-day effortposts; but briefly, they often lived in slightly less squalid conditions, and had a less interesting time of it as long as the enemy didn't find out where they were; it should be no surprise that the chief of the Camouflage Committee, possibly the most French military unit in history (it was full of painters and artists all doing their bit for France), had been put into the Army as a gunner.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

They're not so bad in the rear echelons, I guess. When the second Australian expeditionary force first arrived in Egypt, they weren't allowed to set up camp at Cairo as the local authorities recalled the reputation of the Australian troops that were there during the WWI. IIRC, they were sent to train in Syria instead.

What german word is being mangled here? It must refer to either a Panzerschreck or Panzerfaust.

'offical history 18 Armoured' posted:

where C Company had struck a nest of Spandaus and anti-tank rocket guns, abominable little weapons with the jaw-breaking name of ‘Ofenroehre’ but known to the boys as ‘Bazookas’ after their American counterpart. The tanks stood a little way back and hammered the buildings with all their weapons while the infantry moved in, and Jerry fled, abandoning one of his bazookas. It was still only 7.15 a.m.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

What german word is being mangled here? It must refer to either a Panzerschreck or Panzerfaust.
Stovepipes

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

Stovepipes
Yeah, so it's a Panzerschreck.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did the whole folded up napkin hat become the standard when not wearing helmets?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trin Tragula posted:

Two different posts that both lead back to Lance-Bombardier Spike Milligan's war memoirs! It's all Second World War, but a great insight into how to go to war, do your job, and not die.

I've added "life as a gunner/sapper/driver vs life in the PBI" to the list of 100YA dull-day effortposts; but briefly, they often lived in slightly less squalid conditions, and had a less interesting time of it as long as the enemy didn't find out where they were; it should be no surprise that the chief of the Camouflage Committee, possibly the most French military unit in history (it was full of painters and artists all doing their bit for France), had been put into the Army as a gunner.

It seems like artillery was bit cushier of a posting as far as combat arms went. How were selections done back then, did you volunteer for artillery, require certain skills, or what?

I'm enlisted in artillery and am shipping on the 29th, so I've got a newfound interest in what it was like during the world wars. It's a blind spot for me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did the whole folded up napkin hat become the standard when not wearing helmets?

Related, why is the beret part of the dress uniform in so many militaries?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Synnr posted:

I was reading some stuff on chobham armor and kinetic penetrators, and the depleted uranium article mentioned many of the positives of DU for penetrating, like density. However it mentioned something about the round self-sharpening, can anyone explain what that means exactly? I didn't find anything but additional usage so...whats with that? I think I get how shaped charges do their thing, but I don't get how staballoy does its thing.

When a regular bullet, regardless of diameter, strikes something it begins to flatten out across the tip. This means more area upon which the same amount of energy is being applied, which means less pen nitrating ability. dU, due to its crystalline structure, fractures at a specific angle to the strike so it keeps that nice sharp tip and minimizs the area it's force is spread across, maximizing penetration.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Chamale posted:

Related, why is the beret part of the dress uniform in so many militaries?

I think the French alpine units were the first modern infantry to start wearing them in the late 19th century, since you need a hat of some sort in the cold, and the beret is cheap, easy to manufacture in large numbers, and for soldiers it’s great because it’s light and you can easily fold it up and stash it in your pack when you’re not wearing it without damaging it.

Because of all those advantages, a lot of other regiments started using them soon after. The British tank corps particularly liked them because they’re a low cap – which is nice in a narrow enclosed space like a tank - and you can wear headphones over them, so you don’t have to keep taking them on and off.

So it’s a combination of being a practical hat and being adopted by the great powers of the time that it becomes the stereotypical ‘military’ headgear that everyone uses so their military looks modern and professional.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Spandaus are MG-42s and Ofenrohr (Stovepipe) was the Landser nickname for the Panzerschreck.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How would you pronounce Ofenrohr anyway? It looks tough, at least the rohr part.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Frostwerks posted:

How would you pronounce Ofenrohr anyway? It looks tough, at least the rohr part.

Oh fen roar. Most dialects of German have fairly regular pronunciation once you learn how they spell all the sounds. I can't make promises about how a Bavarian might say anything, though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oh-'fa (or 'fn)-roa (or röhrl).

Some of the landserjargon is really good. Zimmerflak and Eisenschwein are one of my favourites. Strangely, these are not in the list.

Aal = Jargon für Soldaten, die sich geschickt um unangenehme Aufgaben drücken,
auch wurden Torpedos so genannt.
Abspülung = Jargon für Notwasserung bzw. Absturz über dem Meer.
Affe = Jargon für Tornister.
Affenschaukel = Jargon für Adjudanten-, Schiess-,Fang oder Schulterschnur.
Anno Scheiße = Landserausdruck für den ersten Weltkrieg.
Apfelsinenorden = Bezeichnung für die deutsch-italienische Erinnerungsmedallie.
Arsch = Landserausdruck für die verschiedensten Dinge.
am A... der Welt, in abgelegener Gegend auf Vorposten.
Schütze A... , einfacher Soldat
kalter A.... mit Schneegestöber, schlechtes Essen.
sich den A.... auskugeln, im Krieg fallen.
Aufriß = Streifschuss.
B
Backofen = umkämpfte Stellung.
Bau = Arrestzelle.
bepflastern = mit Artellerie beschießen.
Betonorden = Bezeichnung für Ehrenabzeichen die beim Bau des Westwalles vergeben worden sind.
Beutegermanen = Jargon für fremde Staatsangehörige die ins Deutsche Reich umgesiedelt wurden.
Bildungskanone = Fahrzeug der Feldbücherei.
Biertischstratege = erklärt sich wohl von selbst.
Bordgeistlicher = Gestapo Spitzel an Bord von Schiffen der Kriegsmarine.
Bremser = Bezeichnung von Soldaten die höhere Weisungen nicht ausführten, weil sie sie nicht verantworten konnten.
brustkrank = Sucht nach Orden und Ehrenabzeichen.
Butterfront = Besetzte Gebiete mit guter Lebensmittelversorgung und ohne Kampfhandlungen.
C
Charly = Beobachterflugzeug.
Churchill - Pimmel = Blutwurst.
D
Dachschaden = Kopfschuss oder Kopfverletzung.
Dauerurlaubsschein = Im Krieg fallen.
Deutschamerikaner = Blindgänger oder unzuverlässiger Mensch.
Dödel = Ritterkreuz.
Dünnschißkanone = Maschinengewehr.
E
Eau de Pologne = Jauche, stinkender Schlamm.
Ehrenkeule = Landserausdruck für Marschallstab.
Energietropfen = Schnaps der vor einem Sturmangriff ausgegeben wurde.
Entfettungskur = Aufenthalt in einem Kriegsgefangenenlager.
Ersatzreserveersatz = Volkssturm.
Esak = Abkürzung für Evagelische Sündenabwehrkanone, Feldgeistlicher.
F
Feldmäuse = Wehrmachtsstreife.
Fernsprecher = Landserausdruck für Vorgesezten, der vorzugsweise im brüllenden Befehlston spricht.
Festausschuss = Oberkommando der Wehrmacht.
Fohlen = Neuling, junger Soldat.
Frontbummel = Spähtruppunternehmen.
Furzfänger = Paradejacke der Luftwaffe.
G
Gähnappell = Feldgottesdienst.
Gartenspritze = leichtes MG.
Gebirgsmarine = zusammengewürfelte millitärische Formation.
Gefrierfleischorden = Ehrenzeichen für die Teilnahme am Rußlandfeldzug im Winter 1941/42.
Gesinnungsrückstrahler = Landserausdruck für das Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, auch Spiegelei genannt.
Grabenschreck = unerwartet auftauchender und rummeckender Vorgesetzter.
H
HaBe = Hals und Beinbruch.
Halsschmerzen = Ausdruck für den Drang nach Auszeichnung mit dem Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes.
Hausfriedensbruch = Eindringen in eine feindliche Stellung. H. mit Ansage = dito aber mit Artilleriebeschuss.
Heiliger Geist = Landserjargon für Kameradenjustiz.
Heldenklau = Feldgandamerie, bzw Offiziere die versprengte Soldaten zwingen sich dem Feind neu zu stellen.
Himmelfahrtskommando = der Ausdruck hat sich nach dem Kriege im Zivilleben etabliert. Das kennt man.
Hitler Säge = MG 34.
Höllenabwehrkanone = Millitärgeistlicher.
I
Irrenanstalt = Landserausdruck für Führerhauptquartier.
J
Joseph = Falschirmjäger.
K
Kaffeemühle = Bezeichnung für langsames Russ. Flugzeug (Rata)
Känguruh = NS-Hoheitsadler am Uniformrock.
Kesselraum = Bez. für das Innere eines eines Panzerkampfwagens.
Kartoffelstampfer = Stielhandgranate.
Knackmandel = Eierhandgranate.
Knochensammlung = Absuchen des Schlachtfeldes nach Gefallenen Soldaten.
Krätzchen = Schirmlose Feldmütze.
Kriegsgerichtsautomat = Kriegsgerichtsrat der Hitlers Todesurteile zu verhängen hat.
Kuttenzwerg = Angehörige des Bodenpersonals der Luftwaffe.
L
Latrinenparole = Gerüchte, Vermutungen.
Leiche, aufgewärmte = Angehörige der Verserhtenkompanie.
Lippenstiftbrigade = Frauen im Dienst der millitärischen Abwehr.
Lysolmäuschen = Krankenschwester.
Lametta-Orden und Rangabzeichen
langmachen- hinlegen, Deckung nehmen
Latrinenparole-Gerücht
Leithammel-Unteroffizier
Lysol- Absinth, scharfer Schnaps bei den Besatzungstruppen in Frankreich erstanden
M
Makkaroni- Italiener
Maskenball-beliebte Schikane von Ausbildern, mehrmals antreten in immer anderen Dienstanzug
Mündungsschoner-schlechter Soldat
N
Nähmaschine - gemeint waren leichte russische Flugzeuge, die besonders zu Beginn des Rußlandfeldzugs die deutsche Stellungen überflogen, wie Nähmaschinen ratterten und zum Teil sogar einfach Ziegelsteine in Ermangelung von Bomben abwarfen.
NS-Röhre-U-Boot
O
Oberschnäpser- Obergefreiter
P
Panzer-Anklopf-Gerät - Bezeichnung für die 3,7-cm Pak
Papieroffizier- PK-Mann, Angehöriger der Propagandakompanien
Papiersoldat- in der Schreibstube Dienst tuend
Pappkamerad- Zielscheibe mit menschlichen Umrissen
Parteihut- Stahlhelm
Partisanen-Läuse
pumpen- Kniebeugen mit vorgehaltenen Gewehr, auch Liegestütz
Q
Querschläger- bei den Kameraden unbeliebter Soldat
R
Rabatz- für viele unerquickliche Situationen gebraucht, großes Durcheinander, heftiges Feindfeuer
Ratschbumm- sowjetisches Flachfeuergeschütz, bei dem unmittelbar auf den Abschuß schon der Einschlag erfolgte
Reichsheini-Reichsführer der SS Heinrich Himmler
Ringelpietz-verschieden gebraucht, meist von Rekruten Ausbilderschikane gemeint, auseinander gerissene Betten, Aus und Einräumen der Spinde, das berüchtigte Kommando" Auf die Betten, unter die Betten ,auf die Spinde, unter die Spinde, marsch marsch!"
robben-flach auf der Erde entlang kriechen
Rollbahnkrähe-das sowjetische Flugzeug U2, leichter Aufklärer, der auch Bomben warf, auch Petroleumkocher, UvD und Sperrholzbomber genannt
Rückgrat der Armee- die Obergefreiten, also die "alten" Landser
S
Sandlatscher- Infanterist
Sanker - für Sanitätskraftwagen
Schlächter-sowjetischer Schlachtflieger, Jagdbomber
Schleifer-brutaler Ausbilder, aber bei der Panzertruppe auch reparaturbedürftige Panzer
Schmalspuroffizier-Sonderführer, Pfarrer, Wehrmachtsbeamte wegen ihrer schmalen Schulterstücke
Schlumpfschütze- schlechter Schütze
Schütze Arsch- der "letzte" und schlechteste Soldat
Spargel-Periskop des U-Bootes
Spiegelei-Deutsches Kreuz in Gold
Spieß-Hauptfeldwebel
Spund-junger Soldat, Rekrut
Stalinhäcksel- Machorka der kleingehackte mit Blattrippen und Holz durchsetzte russische Tabak
Stalinorgel-sowjetisches Raketen-Salvengeschütz von den Sowjets selbst "Katjuscha" ("Käthchen") genannt
Stalintorte-trockenes Brot
stiften gehen- flüchten
Stoppelhopser-Infanterist
Strippenzieher-Nachrichtensoldat
T
Tante Ju- das veraltete aber stets zuverlässige Transportflugzeug Ju 52
Taschenflak-Pistole
Tiefflieger- "geistiger Tiefflieger", dummer Mensch
U
Untergefreiter- Zivilist, da es diesen Dienstrang nicht gab
Untersatz-Schiff oder Kraftfahrzeug
V
V3-spöttisch für Volkssturm
verheizen- Soldaten sinnlos opfern
vollrotzen- unter Beschuss nehmen, vor allem Jagdfliegersprache
W
Wanzenhammer-Tabakpfeife, mit deren Kopf im Unterstand Ungeziefer totgeschlagen wird
Wehrbeitrag- im Urlaub gezeugtes Kind
Wolkenquirl-Hubschrauber
Z
Zielwasser-Schnaps
Zigarettenbüchse-Gasmaskenbehälter, der meist zweckentfremdet wurde
Zwölfender-Berufssoldat, weil dieser 12 Jahr dienen mußte. Speziell für Stabsfeldwebel

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 11, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Zimmferlak I don't dig but Iron pig right?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chamale posted:

Oh fen roar. Most dialects of German have fairly regular pronunciation once you learn how they spell all the sounds. I can't make promises about how a Bavarian might say anything, though.

I actually meant exclusively the rohr part. I'm actually not that bad at pronouncing a good chunk of german words. Navigating the grammar is the wild loving west for me though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Frostwerks posted:

Zimmferlak I don't dig but Iron pig right?

Zimmer (room, chamber) + Flak (abbrevation for "Fliegerabwehrkanone", AA-gun) = pistol

Taschenflak (Tasche: pocket) is also in the list, also means pistol

Furzfänger (Fart-catcher) for Paradejacket of the Luftwaffe is pretty good too. Lots of other funny analogies.

Rohr? (Click the soundbite on the site, below) R not like english R with the tongue, but pharyngal. The R in the end turns more to an A, but it's not transcribed like that. In the bavarian dialect family, "Rohr" would turn more audibly to "Roa". Where I live, in heavy dialect it would turn to "Rearl" or "Röhrl". It's even more complicated as the L in the end can also take on different sounds and I'm not good at phonetic script.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chamale posted:

Reason I'm asking is because I checked forvo for it and the source came from what I'm assuming is Bavaria. I know it's in the hills cuz it's in the south and I know the black forest is in baden wurrtemburg and I know where that is. And I swear they pull some tricky poo poo with the rohr and I'm kinda self conscious about pronunciation because I'm trying to do trilled r's for spanish and it's... as they say, loving problematic.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
My German isn't great but I think the OKW one is "party comittee", that's pretty apt.

And apparently they called the MG34 "Hitler's saw", that's confusing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Yup, Festausschuss = party/festival committee

Heh, never heard Gebirgsmarine or Ersatzreserveersatz before. Good ones. Also calling Hitler's HQ "the asylum" is some very, very german dark humor.

Oh, and Hausfriedensbruch (german legal term for breaking and entering) for an assault on an enemy position while Hausfriedensbruch mit Ansage (with announcement) is doing the same with artillery support.

Magni fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 11, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

quote:

Eau de Pologne = Jauche, stinkender Schlamm.

:golfclap: impressive burn.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've never been in the FDF myself but I've always been fascinated by Finnish military jargon. Some military jargon is so ubiquitous thanks to conscription that it's seeped into colloquial speech. "Molotov cocktail" is by far the most famous coinage by Finnish soldiers (parodying the "Molotov's bread baskets" that the Soviet bombers were claimed to be dropping).

Most of it is scatological, naturally, but my personal favourite is calling a task you want to avoid "nakki" which is basically a small sausage, and all its derivatives: if someone has a tendency to collect a lot of sausages they are a sausage trap, and knowing where the best sausage shelter on base is is extremely valuable.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Antti posted:

I've never been in the FDF myself but I've always been fascinated by Finnish military jargon. Some military jargon is so ubiquitous thanks to conscription that it's seeped into colloquial speech. "Molotov cocktail" is by far the most famous coinage by Finnish soldiers (parodying the "Molotov's bread baskets" that the Soviet bombers were claimed to be dropping).

Most of it is scatological, naturally, but my personal favourite is calling a task you want to avoid "nakki" which is basically a small sausage, and all its derivatives: if someone has a tendency to collect a lot of sausages they are a sausage trap, and knowing where the best sausage shelter on base is is extremely valuable.

So... your mother is a sausage trap?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

So... your mother is a sausage trap?
_______________/

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Well done you!

Funnily enough sausage or related words are not used phallically in Finnish.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well maybe they have cause to now

oh ho ho ho

:wal: :stat:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Wanzenhammer is probably one of the best nicknames that you can pick, if you play warthunder et al.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Another thing called "nakki" is the vaguely sausage-shaped badge of the duty officer. I would hazard a guess we inherited it from the German feldgendarmerie when the Finnish army was being built.

But "nakki" also means a mousetrap, so the saying "nakki napsahti" (which is used to mean "welp, gotta do some poo poo") literally means "the mousetrap snapped shut". Not very milhist in the end. :(

But anyway, military jargon is pretty great. It's super fascinating how homogenous it actually is: I can trigger people's service traumas everywhere in Finland I go.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

What comic is this? I keep seeing it and it looks hilarious.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

But "nakki" also means a mousetrap, so the saying "nakki napsahti" (which is used to mean "welp, gotta do some poo poo") literally means "the mousetrap snapped shut". Not very milhist in the end. :(
What are you talking about, that's extremely milhist.

Edit:

Magni posted:

very, very german dark humor.

quote:

V3-spöttisch für Volkssturm

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 11, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

What comic is this? I keep seeing it and it looks hilarious.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh great, now I want to know all the 2nd World War armies slang now we've been given than awesome German lesson.

• Locked thread