Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not sure if I'd call Robert Patrick 'average' looking. He's very distinctive in appearance as the T-1000 despite being really bland at the same time. It's like, you'd never look twice at him, but once you know what he is you can pick him out incredibly easily.

Average was probably the wrong word. Robert Patrick obviously owns and he did a ton of work to make T1000 look really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pycckuu posted:

Average was probably the wrong word. Robert Patrick obviously owns and he did a ton of work to make T1000 look really drat good.
I get what you meant, he's certainly more average looking than Arnold.
I can't remember if it was James Cameron himself who made the comparison, but Arnold's terminator is more of a Sherman tank, whereas Robert Patrick is a Ferrari.

On that note, the new T-1000 in the new movie seems to be a pretty good fit from what little you see of him in the trailer.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Half of the things people were talking about "wishing" to see in a Terminator movie were done in Terminator 2 already.

For instance, Terminator 2 already did the "regular looking normal guy is the killer, big muscly burly guy is the resistance fighter" thing (that was initially going to happen in 1, kind of). Terminator 2 purposely subverts Terminator 1, in multiple ways, which was kind of ruined by the "ARNOLD IS A GOOD GUY NOW" marketing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lance Henriksen was originally gonna be the Terminator. OJ Simpson was passed over for the role because Cameron said nobody would believe him as a ruthless killer.

It is a shame the marketing ruined that twist, I was too young when T2 came out to really follow that kind of thing but I bet nerds of the right age were bummed out.

I was thinking about how the original films have humor in them but it seems naturalistic and funny instead of forced. "Of course I'm a Terminator" is great dark humor, but things like "talk to the hand" are just groan worthy. There are just so many little parts you can see which work in the hands of someone like Cameron but the people that have come after don't grasp why certain things work or how to write them properly.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Darko posted:

Half of the things people were talking about "wishing" to see in a Terminator movie were done in Terminator 2 already.

For instance, Terminator 2 already did the "regular looking normal guy is the killer, big muscly burly guy is the resistance fighter" thing (that was initially going to happen in 1, kind of). Terminator 2 purposely subverts Terminator 1, in multiple ways, which was kind of ruined by the "ARNOLD IS A GOOD GUY NOW" marketing.

Oh god, you're right. I should watch Terminator 2 again.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
The T-1000 is a great villain but I never understand how portraying a man of liquid metal constitutes being a "machine" or robot compared to the T-800 or the T-X. His character always struck me as more of a Twilight Zone villain or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a mimetic polyalloy what else do you need to know??

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Lance Henriksen was originally gonna be the Terminator. OJ Simpson was passed over for the role because Cameron said nobody would believe him as a ruthless killer.

It is a shame the marketing ruined that twist, I was too young when T2 came out to really follow that kind of thing but I bet nerds of the right age were bummed out.

I was thinking about how the original films have humor in them but it seems naturalistic and funny instead of forced. "Of course I'm a Terminator" is great dark humor, but things like "talk to the hand" are just groan worthy. There are just so many little parts you can see which work in the hands of someone like Cameron but the people that have come after don't grasp why certain things work or how to write them properly.

God, I'd love to have seen Lance Henriksen as the terminator. That man has been in some trash, but he always has some intense, deeply thought out back story to how he's going to approach a role no matter how cheap it is. The film probably wouldn't have had the perfect storm of success without Arnie, but we'd be discovering it in a bargain bin years later and saying "holy poo poo this film is amazing!".

I love Patrick's work on the T-1000 and he nails the cat-like, sinewy movements. The deleted scene where he's scanning John's home was rightfully cut for pacing, but it's a great little moment. I remember on my old VHS there was a special feature and he talks about him being like a cat.

Someone else pointed it out, but the way he unloads the pistol into Arnold without blinking and pulls the next clip out before he's finished without showing anything on his face is amazing. So much better than Arnie's flinching execution of the wrong Sarah in T1 (although he improved on this later).

It was also refreshing to see Robert Patrick say he wouldn't reprise the role as he felt he couldn't physically do it justice and is happy to leave the original performance up there as his contribution.

Funnily enough, the one scene where I think the Terminatrix (ugh!) came across as scary was the escape from the cemetery where she's peeling back the roof of the truck and John unloads the AK into her. For a brief moment she gives off this focused, unstoppable, in-human Robert Patrick vibe, staring coldly at her target while quickly ripping her way towards him and completely ignoring the damage being done to her.

Then you remember that she was just using a magic circular saw blade hand...

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Dog_Meat posted:

The deleted scene where he's scanning John's home was rightfully cut for pacing, but it's a great little moment.

What the gently caress are you talking about? There's only one cut of Terminator 2 and it's 150+ minutes. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The scene where he grabs the dog's collar is totally unnecessary.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Groovelord Neato posted:

The scene where he grabs the dog's collar is totally unnecessary.

The T-800 tricking the T-1000 is one thing. The T-800 tricking the T-1000 and the T-1000 never realizing it is quite another.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean I think the implication is it would go check. Or realize John wasn't coming home.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dog_Meat posted:

God, I'd love to have seen Lance Henriksen as the terminator.

Well, after Terminator was a success, Cameron made Lance into a robot in his next movie so that he could fulfill his original vision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He prefers artificial human.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

He prefers artificial human.
Artificial person. :colbert:

Lance Henriksen is seriously the coolest dude. I met him at a showing of Aliens and he was awesome.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The dread in the first T-1000 vs T-800 scene is incredible. It's partly the droning music, partly the slow mo, the random guy who doesn't know what's about to happen. It's like an awful dream, I get this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. There's nothing like that in T3 or T4. I don't have high hopes for much of that in T5, either.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? There's only one cut of Terminator 2 and it's 150+ minutes. :colbert:

I think that was also cut from the directors cut.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I think that was also cut from the directors cut.
There's apparently a fan "ultimate" cut that includes it but it also has the stupid original ending. Because more is more, I guess.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Maybe I was remembering wrong; I've never used fancuts. It's likely I watched the deleted scenes and forgot they weren't in the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Off the top of my head the poo poo that aint in the original movie:

- Sarah talking to Reese in the mental ward
- T-1000 scouring John's room and also killing the dog
- Cutting open the T-800's head and removing the chip
- T-1000 loving up towards the end (getting stuck to/copying railing/floor grating)
- Dumb future ending

Probably missed some bits.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah, the only one of those that wasn't readded in the director's (ie, literally loving better in every way) cut was the dumb future ending, which I agree is dumb.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Groovelord Neato posted:

- T-1000 loving up towards the end (getting stuck to/copying railing/floor grating)

This is probably one of the few cuts I disagree with, since there's enough left to imply it in the movie (the way it flickers once or twice and how its not acting normally, e.g. how it can't seal the deal both times it fights the t-800) but not enough to explain why circumstances have changed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

From the terminator wiki.

Instead, it's rebooted to be a benevolent AI, but it and it's robot army are quickly hijacked politically by the wealthy elite to defend their interests until someone hacks it centuries later and makes it see everyone as equal.

Elysium is the true Terminator sequel. :colbert:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I like to think that Futurama takes place in the terminator timeline. Just sort of a historical footnote, one of the many times humanity nearly wiped itself out. And now nobody cares.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

Off the top of my head the poo poo that aint in the original movie:

- Sarah talking to Reese in the mental ward
- T-1000 scouring John's room and also killing the dog
- Cutting open the T-800's head and removing the chip
- Dumb future ending

Probably missed some bits.

and i think the stuff with terminator trying to smile and assorted things in the desert is part of that director's cut stuff, too

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I remember there being a longer HOLY gently caress NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE scene too. Also, something between that and John realized Sarah is going to kill Dyson.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Milky Moor posted:

and i think the stuff with terminator trying to smile and assorted things in the desert is part of that director's cut stuff, too

Nah, that's all in the theatrical cut, and much more awkward than you remember.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mr. stefan posted:

This is probably one of the few cuts I disagree with, since there's enough left to imply it in the movie (the way it flickers once or twice and how its not acting normally, e.g. how it can't seal the deal both times it fights the t-800) but not enough to explain why circumstances have changed.
As a kid I didn't mind it, but watching T2 in recent years it always seemed weird that the T-1000 would mimic Sarah Connor but wouldn't, you know, terminate her when it had the chance.
I mean yeah it's probably James Cameron coasting on the "Rule of Cool" because goddamn is it badass having the real Sarah ambush the T-1000 from behind and then fire that shotgun until it runs dry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought it was so cool how they filmed Sarah and Kyle planning to blow up Cyberdyne in T1 but didn't go with it, going for the closed loop being Kyle being John's dad. But then in T2 they went filming blowing up Cyberdyne in the most excessively overkill way possible and it was amazing. I'm glad they waited.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'll admit to being disappointed that the T-1000 didn't imitate John Connor as it melted. It was perfectly set up, too, with John briefly holding the piece of it and throwing it back at it, during the chase sequence early on.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenomrph posted:

As a kid I didn't mind it, but watching T2 in recent years it always seemed weird that the T-1000 would mimic Sarah Connor but wouldn't, you know, terminate her when it had the chance.
I mean yeah it's probably James Cameron coasting on the "Rule of Cool" because goddamn is it badass having the real Sarah ambush the T-1000 from behind and then fire that shotgun until it runs dry.

You could maybe say that the T-1000 didn't want to run the risk of John coming across his mother's body and therefore knowing that the T-1000 might take her shape?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mr. stefan posted:

Nah, that's all in the theatrical cut, and much more awkward than you remember.

The smile isn't, and it's actually got commentary that explains why.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

You could maybe say that the T-1000 didn't want to run the risk of John coming across his mother's body and therefore knowing that the T-1000 might take her shape?

Yeah at this point it knows it's vulnerable and malfunctioning. John seeing his killed mom would garner him either completely bolting or going completely berserk, neither of which would be ideal.
Realistically? It doesn't kill her because how can you have a movie about a mom and kid that involves a doppleganger type thing and NOT have a scene where someone has to guess who their real loved one is, plus she's an awesome character.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

quote:

According to James Cameron, Skynet suffered from guilt for causing the near-extinction of the human race in its act of self-defense, and has manipulated the entire Future War, down to the creation of the Resistance and John Connor's rise, as a means to erase its own existence.

From the terminator wiki.

Leave it to a genius to think of something so perfect that it seems obvious in retrospect. Write and direct a true T3 which closes the story, James. Terminate the story with dignity, by humanizing it.

E: You would have to explain why it wouldn't just erase it's own existence via time fuckery, but that could easily come down to a new skynet being created and repeating its mistake every time it has tried.

E2: Stupid idea: Skynet is played by Arnie. It comes in that form so John will give it time to explain itself and ask for humanity to forgive it. Then it kills John because that is part of the plan. That also keeps it consistent with T3, which is a nice bonus in a series with a continuity which belongs in the Mandelbrot Set.

...Cameron could make it good, honest :negative:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 11, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

E: You would have to explain why it wouldn't just erase it's own existence via time fuckery, but that could easily come down to a new skynet being created and repeating its mistake every time it has tried.

Goofy future ending where pilots never show up late or get drunk.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

Goofy future ending where pilots never show up late or get drunk.

(Arnold Voice): "I finally found a way. I will create a humanity so chill that it will never create SkyNet. It will create an AI while attempting to optimize the sharing of guitar riff videos. That being will never know that there was a SkyNet. Or what war is."

The Bill and Ted movies are revealed to be Terminator sequels.

(e: elaborated because I am really bored).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

There's also the learning mode that the T-800 has, that Skynet rarely uses - in the wiki it says that some of the units go rogue, or even end up fighting with the humans. A story where a Terminator learns how hosed up it is to do a holocaust and switches sides sounds pretty :black101:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Watching T3 right now and I'm honestly shocked at how bad Schwarzeneggers performance is, I really don't think T3 is that bad and with minor edits could be made half decent.

I'm surf there's a fan edit out there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The tone and what Arnold and the TX are in T3 is not the same as in T2 or T1. It isn't as serious and tries for more fun. His performance is good and in line likEly with the direction.

The movie gets serious right at the end when they realize they can't stop fate and that's considered the best part of the movie by a loT of people.

• Locked thread