Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Angry Grimace posted:

Since Modern Masters 2015 releases in May, they should kick off spoiler season on the first of April by showing off Noble Hierarch with a mythic symbol and see how much people freak out.

People will freak out more if it's printed at rare. Right now noble hierarch's value isn't tanking because people remember goyf and bob not cratering and then even growing post modern masters. If it's at rare, I could see it going to, I dunno, maybe 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Please elaborate

In the first round at the PDX PTQ I managed to cast Villainous Wealth two rounds in a row for X=5 and by some miracle pulled all of his best bombs both times. Then proceeded to kill him with his own Butcher of the Horde.

He was really upset and very clearly on the verge of tears when he left the table.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CountFosco posted:

People will freak out more if it's printed at rare. Right now noble hierarch's value isn't tanking because people remember goyf and bob not cratering and then even growing post modern masters. If it's at rare, I could see it going to, I dunno, maybe 20?

No way. Not at 10 bucks a pack.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I know there haven't been any spoilers on MM 2015 yet, but what could they realistically reprint at what rarities to make the average pack EV anywhere near $10?

Edit: I guess if they actually reprinted Git Probe and Serum Visions at Common that would be a start.

qbert fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 11, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

I know there haven't been any spoilers on MM 2015 yet, but what could they realistically reprint at what rarities to make the average pack EV anywhere near $10?

Edit: I guess if they actually reprinted Git Probe and Serum Visions at Common that would be a start.

Printing those cards at common will lower the prices. Even at uncommon. Forked bolt too.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?
Did anyone read todays Uncharted Realms? Narset dies so I guess she won't be a plainswalker in the next set like I thought

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It also depends on how big of a print run we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if they undershoot it again, but maybe they did figure it out.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Yeah, I feel guilty for planning on buying a box of MM15.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SchrodingersCat posted:

Yeah, I feel guilty for planning on buying a box of MM15.

Opening packs of MM for any reason other than playing limited is something you should feel guilty about.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

Did anyone read todays Uncharted Realms? Narset dies so I guess she won't be a plainswalker in the next set like I thought

If only we were going back in time to change the present somehow.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

Didn't read the Uncharted Realms, but she totally could still be a planeswalker because she might still be alive in the alternate present after Sarkhan unfuckulates (or fucks up I guess depending on your perspective) the timeline.

e:fb

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

Opening packs of MM for any reason other than playing limited is something you should feel guilty about.

As is buying up supply just to sit on it and make a profit next year, making it impossible for others to draft the set more than once or twice.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Death Bot posted:

It also depends on how big of a print run we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if they undershoot it again, but maybe they did figure it out.

It is supposed to be higher than mma, but not by a ton.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Bugsy posted:

It is supposed to be higher than mma, but not by a ton.

Is there a source for this? I've heard claims about the print run ranging from "as limited as MM1" through "Chronicles 2.0 but $10 packs will keep the market safe."

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Didn't read the Uncharted Realms, but she totally could still be a planeswalker because she might still be alive in the alternate present after Sarkhan unfuckulates (or fucks up I guess depending on your perspective) the timeline.

e:fb

Its possible, but going back 1000 years should change things drastically. I wouldn't expect any of the current Khans to even exist given the butterfly effect.

Then again bleeding to death could ignite her spark just in time. Who knows!?

ZoMBiePiGGy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Would I be a bad person if I were to buy a box of MMA15 and draft it but want the drafted cards back?

I really want an excuse to open the goodies and keep the goodies.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Would I be a bad person if I were to buy a box of MMA15 and draft it but want the drafted cards back?

That is acceptable, you pay for the cards and let friends draft free.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Count Bleck posted:

I've heard of people running "phantom drafts" of MM in their local stores. Shouldn't be too hard to find some people who'd love to play it for free, and let you keep the cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Not at all, this is what I did with my boxes. I let my friends draft but I kept the cards. Not that there was anything worth keeping in any of my boxes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

Not really, a guy at my LGS did exactly that with KTK and I had a blast.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If you DON'T let friends draft free with a box you intend to rip for no reason then you have no soul

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BXCX posted:

Is there a source for this? I've heard claims about the print run ranging from "as limited as MM1" through "Chronicles 2.0 but $10 packs will keep the market safe."

The official twitter said "more than mm1"

They have said in the past that they feel they could have printed 3x as much modern masters to meet the demand. So I'd take that as a reasonable starting point. I think they'll also consider this will cause another modern surge, it is a popular format. My guess is is low end 5x as much as MM1, up to 10x as much. I think the set will have enough value that things like Nobles will drop from $65 to $20. Long term, we'll see. Most things will probably trend back up by a good amount in the 12 months after MM15.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I would probably run drafts with it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Turns Snapcaster into Muldrifter 2.0

Mulldriftest

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

Its possible, but going back 1000 years should change things drastically. I wouldn't expect any of the current Khans to even exist given the butterfly effect.

I was always under the impression that if Narset showed up as a walker at all, it would be alternate present Narset, since the "current" Tarkir will basically never have existed come Fate Reforged, so there never would be a chance to print her outside some weird supplemental product.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, the new DailyMTG.com is incredible. I'm a web designer, so even more about the old site bothered me than the rest of you, but I really like the latest site.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

Whoa, the new DailyMTG.com is incredible. I'm a web designer, so even more about the old site bothered me than the rest of you, but I really like the latest site.
It reminds me a lot of Android Kit-Kat, which is funny because google is now moving everything to Lollipop and Material Design.

Its definitely functional though, now someone needs to to do the same for MTGO.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

BJPaskoff posted:

*immediately tries to load up webpage on mobile device, since the last re-design was done for mobile devices and didn't work at all*

oh hey, the buttons to navigate the menus actually wor-

*browser crashes*

*twice*

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I mean if she dies then how will nerds write terrible fanfic shipping her and Sarkhan???

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm also a web designer, and I particularly like the little touch where the images they use scroll slightly as you scroll the page. However, I'm curious how you implement that correctly so it's not jerky and horrible. The same goes for most of their dynamic elements, like rescaling the top menu bar. It's all horribly glitchy and inconsistent. That said, it's still better than the pile of poo poo it replaced.

The design and concept: A+

Implementation: C-

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno, in the old page you could at least see all of today's articles without scrolling down.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It still looks like the Windows 8 start menu (NB: this is not a good thing). Having to scroll down to see more than one of the current day's articles is pretty terrible in my book.

When did someone decide that just having the article titles presented as text links in a column was too goddamn easy and clean looking? Is having everything as loving huge squares of art intended to make it easier for mobile devices? In which case, why don't they just have a separate mobile site? Wikipedia doesn't make me gently caress around with their mobile site when I want to view it on my laptop's browser.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

They could remove Mythic rarity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unban Jace, put him at uncommon.

e: This is my dream draft format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

cheetah7071 posted:

Unban Jace, put him at uncommon.

e: This is my dream draft format.

They could have the Lorwyn walkers at their original rarity, really. They won't, but they *could* without breaking anything.

I wonder which Planeswalkers they'll stick in that set at all. Maybe Ajani Vengeant? I always thought he should have been in MM1 in the first place.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Does someone want to elaborate on this graph.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/9th-edition/swamp-%28342%29?partner=MTGSTCKS

I know that basic swamp is pretty, but $2.50 pretty?

My LCG uses TCG pricing so I'll see if I have any to take just so we can have a laugh when the price check comes through.

joats fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 11, 2014

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

joats posted:

Does someone want to elaborate on this graph.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/9th-edition/swamp-%28342%29?partner=MTGSTCKS

I know that basic swamp is pretty, but $2.50 pretty?

My LCG uses TCG pricing so I'll see if I have any to take just so we can have a laugh when the price check comes through.

Yeah, something is hideously wrong: the median and high prices are lower for the foil than the normal, and the low price is within two cents.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Goddamn, sometimes Magic likes to remind you it has a serious luck component. Lost four straight Vintage matches, all to the same guy that always seemed to have 3 Gush in his hand while I had zero cards to counter anything he was doing. Or I named the wrong card with Cabal Therapy. :negative: Not to mention the inexplicable mana screw in a Vintage game :wtc:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That Finnish tournament with players bidding on various historic Magic decks is amazingly fun to replicate. I won a match against Cawblade playing Long.dec, with my opening hand of 4 against Cawblade's 8. I won game 2 on turn 2 after my mull to 3 was Mana Crypt, City of Brass, Timetwister. I won game 3 after my Yawgmoth's Will was countered by casting Burning Wish for Diminishing Returns, shuffling my graveyard into my library, and recasting Yawgmoth's Will on the next turn after drawing it with Wheel of Fortune. I'm considering proxying up a bunch of these decks to have my friends try out this "format".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

That Finnish tournament with players bidding on various historic Magic decks is amazingly fun to replicate. I won a match against Cawblade playing Long.dec, with my opening hand of 4 against Cawblade's 8. I won game 2 on turn 2 after my mull to 3 was Mana Crypt, City of Brass, Timetwister. I won game 3 after my Yawgmoth's Will was countered by casting Burning Wish for Diminishing Returns, shuffling my graveyard into my library, and recasting Yawgmoth's Will on the next turn after drawing it with Wheel of Fortune. I'm considering proxying up a bunch of these decks to have my friends try out this "format".

I remember reading some thing that insisted Long.dec has a 60% first-turn kill against decks playing Force of Will. I think I've died on the first turn exactly twice in well over a hundred Vintage matches, once to a Tendrils storm that I didn't have any Force of Wills to stop the build up to, and once to a Vault-Key.

• Locked thread