Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Beat

Mafia 2: Probably the most generic open world game, and one of the most generic games ever. This game should have been a linear 3rd person shooter (probably the only time I'll ever say that), because it's what the devs wanted anyways. The driving wasn't fun, driving across the map every mission was tiring, and the world was just plain boring. Some of the driving mechanics didn't even make sense. Speed or hit another car in front of a cop and you get fined, but running reds, driving in the wrong lane, etc are okay? The game feels like one big half-baked mess. Why give you tons of cash at points in the story with nothing to really buy, then reset it repeatedly? The story spun its wheels until the last third of the game, and I remember reading they cut story content out to sell as DLC. On top of everything, for a 3rd person shooter disguised as a GTA clone, the shooting was never even that fun. At least the radio kicked rear end.

Binding of Issac: Rebirth: Well, you know, "beat". I beat mom's heart a handful of times, and I'm going to be putting at least a few dozen more hours into this one. I'm not sure why, but this game has sunk it's claws into me much more than BoI. Fantastic game really, and being able to easily sync my saves between the PS4 and Vita is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

zip zop zoobitybop posted:

Beat

Mafia 2: Probably the most generic open world game, and one of the most generic games ever. This game should have been a linear 3rd person shooter (probably the only time I'll ever say that), because it's what the devs wanted anyways. The driving wasn't fun, driving across the map every mission was tiring, and the world was just plain boring. Some of the driving mechanics didn't even make sense. Speed or hit another car in front of a cop and you get fined, but running reds, driving in the wrong lane, etc are okay? The game feels like one big half-baked mess. Why give you tons of cash at points in the story with nothing to really buy, then reset it repeatedly? The story spun its wheels until the last third of the game, and I remember reading they cut story content out to sell as DLC. On top of everything, for a 3rd person shooter disguised as a GTA clone, the shooting was never even that fun. At least the radio kicked rear end.

If you wanted a good Mafia game, I recommend Mafia 1 or, my personal favorite, The Godfather. The Godfather manages to be the best mob movie and mob video game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you wanted a good Mafia game, I recommend Mafia 1 or, my personal favorite, The Godfather. The Godfather manages to be the best mob movie and mob video game.

It really is great, and this is coming from someone who played it on the Wii.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It really is great, and this is coming from someone who played it on the Wii.

Are you kidding me, the Wii has the best version! You literally take people by the cuff of their shirts, punch them in the mouth/stomach and toss them out windows. The motion controls have you mimicing the movements you would make to do those things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Are you kidding me, the Wii has the best version! You literally take people by the cuff of their shirts, punch them in the mouth/stomach and toss them out windows. The motion controls have you mimicing the movements you would make to do those things.

Yeah, those were great, but because of the system's limitations, cars would literally disappear if you looked away from them.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat: The Stanley Parable
Wonderful game that everyone should spend an evening with.

Beat: Thief Gold
Man they don't make em like they used to. To say this one shows its age is a huge understatement, as the mission structure and purchase screen stuff is confusing and archaic and dear god, some of the models and animations are embarrassing. Game still holds up though, because the levels are among the best designed I've played in any game ever and the game is just filled with atmosphere. It really nails the semi-magical feel of its setting and you really buy everything that happens along the way. The sound design is maybe the best I've ever encountered in a game and it deserves every accolade it gets. 5/5, would play again (and eventually I'll get to Thief 2).

Beat: Capsule
Very atmospheric and interesting little indie game. Definitely worth 5 bucks and the 90 minutes or so it takes to play through. Genuinely creepy and because its GUI is so barebones, most of what you as a player experience comes via its excellent audio effects. The tension builds beautifully all the way through to a great, great payoff at the end.

Nulled: Desktop Dungeons
I thought I was pretty good at roguelikes but jesus christ this game is hard.

Up next: another Crusader Kings 2 run and then Wasteland 2.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Lamacq posted:

Nulled: Desktop Dungeons
I thought I was pretty good at roguelikes but jesus christ this game is hard.

It's really more like sokoban:the rpg than anything else. You should play if you're in the mood for a heavy puzzle game based on guessing the odds of something happening and how to best counter the worst curveballs it can throw at you.
Also, don't grow too attached to a single strategy because EVERY map has a different way screw over your perfectly kitted out murderman.

Edit: and also, if you cannot win the map don't suicide on the boss, just bail out, you get to keep the gold and locker cool items. The game always tells you the outcome of your next move, it never lies on your chances, so if you see that red DEATH icon just pause and reconsider.

Oh, and also Hi thread, I'm a steamaholic too, 350+ games (mostly bundles) and most of them unfinished.
I'm getting better though,didn't buy anything for this black friday sales because I am conscious of the fact that christmas sales are near and Isaac Rebirth is eating away all my gaming time.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 30, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Completed: The binding of Isaac - Wrath of the Lamb
I played this game a ton but never really tried to grind out my last missing items because I still had 2 encounters to find. Turns out I suffered from the savefile/achievements bug and had to fix that a while ago. So about a week before Rebirth came out I set out to find Ultra Pride and my last few items, not having internet interfered though. It took a while but I managed to find him and the last item.:toot: Platinum God :toot:
This game has problems in coding and isn't for everybody. Rebirth is also better in pretty much every way. But man is this a good title.

Speaking about that:

New games:
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: I preordered this one actually, but only now do I allow myself to play it.
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition: Somebody that isn't even on my steam friendslist gave this to me, and I do appriciate it. I just want to thank the dude(tte). :smith: I have 100% in the original but this game is amazing so it's a great excuse to replay it!
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: I wanted this one for a while, and GreenManGaming gave the base game away for a GOTY voting contest. waiting to pick up the expansion on the cheap before starting it.
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy: Gift from a goon, fun game so far.
Secret of the Magic Crystals Complete: sometimes I hate my friends. :v:
Prison Architect: I already spend 50h or so on this and it can't really be beaten anyway.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Don't you mean Sleeping Dogs for best mob video game? :colbert:

Anyway...

Done: Sonic and friends All-Star Racing Transformed. I think I have 80 something stars, not enough to get a trophy or whatever. I suck enough at the minigame-based races so I really can't proceed any further. Glad I bought this with the Humble Bundle, I wouldn't have wanted to pay anything more.

Done: Crusader Kings II. It's time to put this aside; the game is pretty badly balanced now and the devs keep adding stuff that even someone with ~800 hours into the game thinks isn't adding to the fun. Plus I put too many hours into this game and should get a life. Fare thee well, CK2, fare thee well.

Nulled: Sid Meier's Pirates. Dancing minigame not fun, I'd rate this game tedious.

Nulled: Particulars. I got this in a Groupees bundle some time ago, it recently game out on Steam. You play a down quark. The controls aren't very good (especially since you are bouncing around the screen trying to avoid other particles) and the framing story doesn't seem to go anywhere, at least on the first level.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

monster on a stick posted:

Don't you mean Sleeping Dogs for best mob video game? :colbert:

Some of us really want to wear fedoras and trenchcoats and tell people to fuhgeddaboutit

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Completed: Myst V: End of Ages

What a sad end to a once-great series.

Myst 3 and 4 were good, but not great, so with this being the last Myst game developed by Cyan I was hoping for a return to Riven's quality. Instead we got this. The RealMyst engine still compares well to Myst, but looks really bad compared to Myst 4; the ability to move freely doesn't really help at all, and just means it takes much longer to get anywhere. And no, the tablet-based intra-world Links are not at all a substitute for Myst 4's fast travel system. And instead of Atrus's journals, we get the incoherent, paranoid, racist rantings of Esher and the slow descent into madness of Yeesha, liberally salted with cryptic clues because apparently building those clues into the environment as in previous games was too hard.

It also takes a gigantic poo poo all over the previously estabished physics of the series and adds in a huge pile of half-assed mystical hand-wavey bullshit.

But all that can be forgiven if the puzzles are good, right? Well too bad, they suck. Oh, there's none of really awful classics like the 15-puzzle or the Towers of Hanoi, and in general they are "classic Myst" style puzzles where the entire environment comes together as a puzzle to be solved, rather than Rama-style individual set-pieces, but there's also too many puzzles that depend on fiddly pixel-perfect positioning of controls or on game mechanics not hinted at or used anywhere else (like the fact that symbols drawn on the tablet will gradually fade). And they involve way too much running around, exacerbated by the slow movement and lack of a fast travel system. By the end I was playing from the walkthrough and giving zero shits about anything.

It was a short game, perhaps about the same length as the original Myst, but on the whole I'd have been a lot happier if I'd pretended the series ended at Revelation. Or Riven.

Now Playing: Shadow Warrior 2013

:getin:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 1, 2014

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

monster on a stick posted:

Done: Crusader Kings II. It's time to put this aside; the game is pretty badly balanced now and the devs keep adding stuff that even someone with ~800 hours into the game thinks isn't adding to the fun. Plus I put too many hours into this game and should get a life. Fare thee well, CK2, fare thee well.

In what way would you say the game is unbalanced now? I haven't touched it in a year or so.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lamacq posted:

In what way would you say the game is unbalanced now? I haven't touched it in a year or so.

Muslims are absurdly powerful; decadence is easy to maintain at zero by asking 'decadent' relatives to shape up or go to prison, and with that low decadence comes a huge morale bonus in combat. Supposedly decadence revolts are worse now, but yesterday I console'd a score of 100 decadence and the 'decadent trait' to the head of the Abbasids, and nothing happened for years. Enjoy being steamrolled (or being the steamroller.)

As an aside, PDX also tried to make it more difficult to 'blob' (e.g. grow large empires) by adding vassal limits, increased costs/decreased effectiveness of retinues, more revolts (my observation) but I think it's demonstrated that the reason people were blobbing was because the game gets pretty boring if you were a liege and not trying to conquer territory.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Orcs Must Die, Overlord, Overlord: Raising Hell

Played them all, didn't beat any of them, never going to. Not bad games, as I remember, but not games that held my interest or that I have any desire to return to.

New: Hexcells Infinite, Saints Row IV, Zigfrak, Contraption Maker, Nosferatu

I'm not buying nearly as much during sales as I used to, and I'm a lot more discriminating about price, despite having more money to spend; I think that somewhere in my subconscious a switch has flipped and I now truly believe that I have enough games and am only buying things that I know I'm going to play soon and/or am really excited about.

I'm not sure when or where I got Nosferatu -- not during this sale -- but it showed up in the game list when I ran bltool. :shrug:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

COMPLETE - The Journey Down: Chapter One
Good, but short, adventure game. I really liked most of the puzzles, though a couple were really pixel hunty. The graphics update they gave it also makes the game look really nice. Still, it'll only take you a few hours to finish, so they probably should have given Chapter Two to buyers for free, rather than making it another :10bux: Still, a very nice game if you're a fan of point and clicks.

Edit: Also adding Paranormal State: Poison Spring into my Linux playlist. I actually started this a while back when farming for cards, so it should be a nice, chill hidden object game. At least if I can get past that drat leapfrog puzzle.

Nevermind, saves don't port over. Going to go with Steamworld Dig instead.

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2014

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well, the harvest sale is over, and I only had one bit of damage from it:

Fart of Presto posted:

Trace Vector
It's a runner-like game, like Bit Trip Runner, where you have to hit up, down, slow time and probably some other things I never got to before quitting.
It looks like an 80s vector graphics game and has a soundtrack that matches, which is actually pretty cool, but the game was just too frustrating for this mans slow reflexes.

I'd had my eye on this ever since he posted that, and the sale dropped the price to the point I was willing to have a go. I've played through about half of it now. When the gloves come off, they really come off. If I manage to actually beat this the achievement I get for doing so will be one of my six rarest.

That said, I also am enjoying the Hell out of it, and the soundtrack really does kick rear end in an appropriately 80s way.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Done: Hexcells Infinite
Finished everything but the 60 generated puzzle achievement. The designed puzzles are pretty good, but the generated puzzles are boring. I finished about 20, and the only difficult thing about them is their size.

Now Playing: Mass Effect
I've had this game for a while, and I've attempted it before, but I could never stay motivated enough to finish it. I'm giving it one last try before it goes in the null pile.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

MajorMarcus posted:

Now Playing: Mass Effect
I've had this game for a while, and I've attempted it before, but I could never stay motivated enough to finish it. I'm giving it one last try before it goes in the null pile.

The combat is probably the weakest in the series, to the point that I'd say setting it down to the easiest level and just playing through it for the story isn't necessarily a bad idea. It removes the challenge, but it also removes some of the frustration from having to replay the same sequence over and over again because you keep getting killed. I remember a few places where I got frustrated playing on harder modes during my first playthroughs. The last time I played I just kept it on normal for that reason.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I don't think I used anything but the Sniper Rifle and Biotics in ME1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Dream Machine Ch. 1-4 - Pretty solid adventure game where you have to enter people's dreams to save them. Most of the puzzles made sense OUTSIDE of the dreams. Inside the dreams some of the puzzles require dream logic that feels very random and will leave you using every inventory item with every hotspot until something works.

BEATEN: Law & Order Legacies - Telltale made this before The Walking Dead, so there's no Your Choices Matter, but it is a very faithful recreation of the TV show, right down to the 'ripped from the headlines' finale episode. The soundalikes are not very close to the original actors but it doesn't matter. Considering the material, Telltale did a very good job, story-wise. Most of their storytelling is so... plain, that I didn't think they'd be able to handle the twists and turns of a procedural. Just bear in mind if you buy this game that most of the gameplay involves cutscenes and then essentially being quizzed on whether people are answering truthfully or not based on past testimony/interrogation/evidence. The game offers a complete transcript for every scene which you'll be checking, a LOT.

BEATEN: Attack of the Friday Monsters - Cute little walking-sim for the 3DS. Kids develop friendships in a town where the monster sequences from sentai shows are filmed. Every quest is considered an 'episode' and sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time to complete them. There is a weird card game you play against the other kids that allows you to boss them around. Great music as well. A nice little game.

BEATEN: Ni No Kuni - Studio Ghibli + Level 5 = unbelievable art direction, slightly shallow gameplay. I think L5 has done the action/turn-based hybrid gameplay better in other titles, but it's hard to be upset about a game with this much love put into it. They threw a lot of ideas at the wall and some of them stick, some of them don't.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If anything, Ni no Kuni is the big budget console Pokemon game Nintendo will never make.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tyrel Lohr posted:

The combat is probably the weakest in the series, to the point that I'd say setting it down to the easiest level and just playing through it for the story isn't necessarily a bad idea. It removes the challenge, but it also removes some of the frustration from having to replay the same sequence over and over again because you keep getting killed. I remember a few places where I got frustrated playing on harder modes during my first playthroughs. The last time I played I just kept it on normal for that reason.

I think how much you enjoy the combat in Mass Effect games really depends on if you want it to be an RPG or a shooter. The combat in ME1 is clunky and a bit weird, but it is far more of an RPG than it is a shooter, with a bunch of ways to vary up your playstyle on that side of things. ME2 and 3 are pretty much just Gears of War with some light RPG elements, and I'll grant that they're probably better at it than ME1 is at being an RPG with guns, but I much prefer what ME1 tried to be than what 2 and 3 succeeded at being.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'm watching choreographed dancing in Skyrim to Thriller. My life is complete.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Steamworld Dig - BEAT
A totally mediocre game. The diggings fun, but there's not a whole lot to it. It's pretty short though, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Not good enough to warrant replays for achievements though.

New game on my linux list is going to be...Strata, which is apparently a puzzle game. This is probably going to take me forever to beat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Completed: Hexcells Infinite

Do you want more Hexcells? Of course you do. This is more Hexcells, another 36 levels as usual plus a random level generator. The hand-crafted levels are much better, though.

I found this dramatically harder than Hexcells Plus; it introduces no new mechanics, but the puzzles rely much more heavily on detecting and solving indirect constraints, and I actually had to use a pencil and paper to solve the last 19 cells of 6-5.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode One - I was a bit hesitant to pick this one up to be honest. I enjoyed playing through BL 1 immensely and am currently playing through BL2, which I'm finding a trudge because the humour is grating as Hell. Yet I found myself liking the characters almost immediately and was impressed with the weird world and story they were able to create. Here's hoping the next few episodes are just as good. I'd recommend checking this out in a few months.

NULLED: Call of Duty 10: Ghosts - I'm a sucker for these games, I grew up watching my brother play the first and second games on PC, I got into Modern Warfare and quickly proceeded to beat all the campaigns right up to this game. The campaign is a mess, it treads the line of Red Dawn's wacky what-if scenario of evil foreigners taking away America's freedom :911:. The fact that early on, you meet up with one of the Ghost soldiers, Captain A. Merrick, I wanted to slap someone. I got about halfway through the campaign before the game decided to crash my new computer, which is probably a blessing in disguise. I tried 6 times to run that mission and it won't budge, so I'm taking it as a sign to move onto better things. I'd recommend playing Homefront instead, it's only 3 hours long and isn't nearly as buggy. Or I'd recommend watching both Red Dawn's back to back.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Borderlands 2 - Hopefully will make some progress on these side missions before jumping back on the main quests.
  • TRON 2.0 - Immensely fun, I really wish there was a modern version of this.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Haven't updated in the thread in a while, mostly just checking in because I have a question...

Currently Playing: Crysis - I was having a lot of fun with this, then I reached the part where you have to find a way out of the alien ship. I eventually managed that, although that section was disorienting and not much fun. Now I've gotten to the point where I have to fight off dozens of the stupid aliens and defend the boss guy before he freezes to death. It has become a horrible slog, I can't kill all of the enemies before the time runs out, and I'm starting to hate it. I'd been playing semi-stealthy, now it feels like I'm forced to go guns blazing, and the new enemies are annoying and frustrating.

The question is, is it worth trying to continue on at this point? Or should I just say "gently caress it" and watch an LP of the rest of the game?

StormChaser
Nov 8, 2009
As much as I liked the whole game. If you aren't having fun then.... say "gently caress it " and watch an LP of the rest of the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, if you're having issues getting into it at this point, you're going to hate the endgame.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For what its worth strength somehow makes your bullets hit harder. And it's been a while but I remember there being a powerful beam or launcher weapon scattered all over the place. I don't really remember having issues with that area.

But yes, you got past the meat of that game and are basically in the last annoying 10% stretch where it turns into a rail shooter. The final fight is pretty impressive from a technical standpoint but if you're not having fun just watch the final levels.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Just gonna echo the others - if you're frustrated with Crysis at that point, welp. It doesn't really get better. Man did I like the first half of that game so much more than the second half. Being an invisible chicken throwing North Korean soldier scaring death prankster was awesome. Fighting aliens in the cold during an escort mission? Ugh.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Beaten - Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning - if you haven't played this yet, it's grindy as hell. I started out doing every side quest, and then when I got to the last area, said gently caress it and just ran through doing the bare minimum. 50+ hours and I'd had enough. It's a fun single player WoW, and I have no idea how I spent as much time in it as I did. Grindy, repetitive....but fun? At least I had fun until the last area.

Beaten - The Darkness 2 - wanted a quick shooter, this was a quick shooter. Guns are OK but the real fun is flipping guys into the air and ripping them in half, or punching your tentacles out of their stomach like the Alien babies. Stupid story, but whatever. It's out of the backlog.

Completed - Back to the Future the Telltale game - I like the movies so this was pretty entertaining. I'm not really a big adventure game guy so I played with a walkthrough, mostly because I wanted to see the world Telltale created more than I was worried about having Einstein fetch after sticks and stuff.

Now playing - Spec Ops: The Line - for all your serious, life altering, video game decisions. Supposedly war is hell, I dunno, I'm just shooting dudes in a mediocre third person shooter so far. Onto level 2!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Two thumbs and load of free time for being between job contracts? This dumb rear end goon.

Beat - Bridge Constructor Medieval : No idea how it got in my backlog, but when I saw the name I thought of dozens of terrible physics bridge constructor gifs and installed it. I am apparently terrible at building bridges, and this really seems more fun than it is. Got through all the levels though, so there's that.

Beat - Crystals of Time : Felt like a hidden object adventure game. Played one.

Nulled - Depth Hunter 2 : Bundle fodder that could have actually been good but turned out to not be that good. Swim around speargunning a load of fish. And collect coins on the ocean floor. That's it. Ta-da. Looks nice, and is a bit relaxing, I guess, but gets boring. Went through about half the game and realized that I just didn't care to go on.

Nulled - Race 07 / GTR Evolution : It's a car racing game. It seems decent enough, but it's way too sim for me. Said it before, and I'll say it again. I like my car racing games arcadey as gently caress. (And can you mount weapons on the roof or hood? That's cool.)

Beat - Max Payne 3 : Hell yes. Maybe the story is a bit (lot) dumb, since Max is essentially just a drunk loser that shoots a billion Brazilians. And maybe he's not that good at his job. There's no denying that there's about a billion too many cut scenes. But drat, I had fun playing this. Max Payne bullet time will always be awesome. Combine it with solid graphics and ridiculous head shot animations and things get brilliantly strange. Still has that dumb rear end Rockstar Social Club, but unlike GTAIV, it's worth dealing with it.

Nulled - Not the Robots : A rather interesting little indie game, honestly. Just nothing I'd care to play for more than an hour or so. You control a robot running around a PROCEDURALLY GENERATED floor of a building. You need to avoid some lasers and other roaming robots while you (for some reason) suck up all the furniture on the floor. Then you make you way back to where you started and the level is over. I had no idea that there was furniture eating robot game market, but these guys are on top of it.

Nulled - Oregon Trail Directors Cut : I'm old enough to remember spending hours playing the original on Apple IIs. This was decent, but there's just not enough there to keep me interested. 1982 is over.

Beat - Pixel Puzzles Japan : It's jigsaw puzzles. I was in the mood for something casual. Absolutely horrible click detection for grabbing pieces though. Seriously. You're given an area where you're building the puzzle. The remaining pieces are randomly floating around in the perimeter. On larger puzzles the pieces are a drat giant soup. And for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to make it almost impossible to click on the piece you want. See that edge piece floating around? Ha ha. Too bad.

Beat - Remember Me : Huh. Until I clicked start, I had no drat idea what the story for this game was about. For some reason I thought it was a FPS type thing. Nope. 3rd person climbing kinda like Mirror's Edge, but with a lot of Batmanesque punch the crap out of a load of dudes combat. You also steal memories. Terrible camera controls, and I had to change an ini file to make the FOV bearable, but it was still a pretty cool game with a great look to it. Grab it for $5 or whatever during a steam sale.

Beat - Rollers of the Realm : RPG pinball. Really. I've played a stupid stupid stupid amount of The Pinball Arcade and Zen FX2. I'm a pinball junkie. This was just too strange for me. Still liked it. Still beat it, but it wasn't really my thing. Thumbs up for being original though.

Beat - Sine Mora : I shot a million guys while dodging (mostly) a billion bullets. Bullet hell schmup done right. For some reason everyone is an animal though.

Nulled - Space Giraffe : It's Tempest. I was never a fan of it in the early 80s. Still not.

Beat (kinda) - The Stanley Parable : Pretty drat funny at times for a walking simulator. Played a few hours and saw 8 or so different endings. Didn't hold my interest enough to get me to find all of them, but thumbs up regardless. Grab it during a sale and make Stanley walk around a bit.

Beat - Thunder Wolves : Silly twin stick helicoptor shoot everything in sight kind of game. Took a couple hours and scratched an itch. Bundle fodder for sure, but decent enough.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I nulled a bunch of bundle games but stacked up on cards, so I'm ready for whatever competition Valve throws at us this Xmas.

Guns'N'Zombies: Your regular arena style fighter where you have to shoot zombies with guns. You can also buy fences and other hardware to wall yourself in.

Heroes of a Broken Land: Some people would probably love the old-school look of the Grimrock style RPG gameplay, but I'd prefer Grimrock if I enjoyed this particular style of gaming.

Ilamentia: I think it's a First Person Puzzler, but I have no idea what was going on and what I was supposed to do. Would prefer to play Tale of Tales games instead.

Luxor 2 HD: I love Luxor style games, but I have played this game so many times before in the original version. Half way through, I just quit it. Really nice looking though.

Millenium 2 - Take Me Higher + Millenium 3 - Cry Wolf + Millenium 4 - Beyond Sunset: I played a bit of M2 and it was basically just M1 with different graphics. Skipped installing M3+M4 and just milked them for cards instead.

Obludia: A twin-stick arena fighter that looks a bit like Binding of Isaac.

Oknytt: I must admit I thought it was a part of the platformer series Knytt Underground. Instead it was a fully voiced point-and-click adventure with a very neat graphics style. I just wasn't in the mood for adventure games and it also felt really slow + dark colors and a slow speaking narrator.

Satazius: Side-scrolling shmup. Too frantic for me.

Shiny the Firefly: Probably a fun game to play on your touch-enabled mobile device, but my gaming time is too short for these types of exploration games, where you have short levels that you can replay to get 3 stars etc.

Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR: Fun looking game, but I prefer playing air hockey games in bars or wherever they exist as real objects.

Snuggle Truck: Smuggle illegal aliens teddy bears across the border and do crazy tricks at the same time.

Space Farmers: Multi player only and just not my cup of tea.

Spirited Heart Deluxe: One of those "rpg" games where you see work, study or do social things and can then update your stats while finding a boy-/girlfriend. Ugh.

Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection: I'm already super lovely at shmups and now you throw in math too?!

Syder Arcade: Pretty looking Defender like shmup. Still bad at shmups.

Victim of Xen: An RPG Maker style JRPG.

Yet Another Zombie Defense: Wait a minute. I guess this was the zombie shooting game where you shoot zombies with guns and buy fences. I wonder what the first zombie game was then. Oh, I don't really care...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Shufflepuck Cantina but dear lord they expected you to grind to beat that game.

Also it was buggy and sometimes after a point the puck would start halfway across the play field.

My own nulling last night was of Chainsaw Warrior. I get that its a computer based version of a card game, but it was soooo boring. Slowly knocking out bundle games at a rate of 1:5 (beat/nulled : acquired).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Shadow Warrior 2013

(Disclaimer: I never played the original Shadow Warrior.)

Do you remember when FPSes were fun? Flying Wild Hog remembers.

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this, because last time FWH tried to make a fun FPS, something went horribly wrong and we got Hard Reset instead. And the last time I played a remake of a classic 90s FPS, it was Rise of the Triad, which was a trainwreck. But they knocked this one out of the park. It looks great, it's a blast to play and I even found myself interested in the story. And the Whisperer Memory cutscenes were beautiful.

I only have two real complaints: there's only enough money/ki/karma to get about half the upgrades in each category, and those enemies that can only be attacked from behind are no fun at all to fight. Neither of those are serious issues (and someone better at finding secrets and making stylish kills would probably have fewer problems with affording upgrades).

I would wholeheartedly recommend this.

Nulled: Star Wolves, Star Wolves 2, Star Ruler, System Protocol One

Star Wolves has a great concept -- basically Ground Control In Space with RPG elements -- but is kind of janky and brutally, unforgivingly hard; and unlike Ground Control your stuff doesn't get replaced between missions, so if you complete a mission but lose too many ships or expend too much ammo, the next one is probably unbeatable.

Star Wolves 2 might have improved on this, but I can't tell because it's a crashy DRM clusterfuck.

Star Ruler and SP1 just weren't enjoyable enough for me to play for more than half an hour. I know SA seems to love Star Ruler but I found it bland and sterile.

Now Playing

Not sure. Finally got around to installing Linux on the gaming desktop, so KSP is back on the table, but that's a sandbox game rather than something I can actually finish. And I have a lot of games starting with S or T; something like a quarter of all of my unfinished games! So that doesn't really help me narrow it down.

Likely candidates are Splinter Cell: Conviction or Saints' Row IV.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Monaco: My friends and I've been co-oping this for a few weeks. It's a pretty fun game if everyone's cooperating. Not sure how it'd be single player, because it gets really challenging towards the end with a definite need for the various class abilities.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Beat - Monaco: My friends and I've been co-oping this for a few weeks. It's a pretty fun game if everyone's cooperating. Not sure how it'd be single player, because it gets really challenging towards the end with a definite need for the various class abilities.

This is good to hear. I keep jumping into it in single player (haven't organized a multiplayer session yet, no time lately), and while I like it, it doesn't really grab me like I thought it would. Someday, I'll play online.

EDIT: Also, is everyone here on Backloggery? I just found out about it because of what you just posted, and now I'm kind of obsessed adding games to the list. I just wish it would auto-detect all of my games by linking in to my Steam account/XBL account. I'm on there as robot_cousin if anyone wants to add me.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 11, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BEAT - Pokemon Y: It took me over a year to beat the Elite Four due to losing interest in Pokemon until the Ruby and Sapphire remakes were released.

In progress - Pokemon Omega Ruby: Pretty fun remake of the Gen III game.

Nulled - Grand Theft Auto 4: I really wanted to take Roman out bowling but the game ran once and refused to run after that no matter how times I un/reinstalled. Not even reinstalling to the SSD helped. Sorry Roman, Nico won't be able to take you bowling anytime soon. Oh well, GTAV for PC is a month and a half away anyway, and there are better sandbox games like Just Cause 2 to hold me over until then anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Also, is everyone here on Backloggery? I just found out about it because of what you just posted, and now I'm kind of obsessed adding games to the list. I just wish it would auto-detect all of my games by linking in to my Steam account/XBL account. I'm on there as robot_cousin if anyone wants to add me.

If you look at the second post of the thread, there's a Backloggery utility linked there that ToxicFrog created, that does some automated creation of your Steam games into Backloggery. Was pretty helpful when I first setup my account, since I have a ludicrous number of games on Steam.