Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What I had in Shanghai/Chengdu was slightly red in color. But it could have been something else. I was told it was rice wine vinegar though.

Yeah, Chinese vinegars can be clear, red, or dark brown/black. There may be other kinds too but I know those for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a specific kind of dark vinegar I should request the next time I'm there? Let me know if so. They don't speak English and I don't speak Chinese - so a picture may work best.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I don't think I can live a happy life without 山西老陈醋 (ShanXi Lao Chen Cu), However I don't think I've ever seen it in the US. It isn't as sweet as some other Chinese vinegars, but is good for adding to fried rice or noodles, and makes a great dipping sauce for dumplings.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Well, plastic and oil aren't really that far off from each other, nor from Teflon for that matter, so it's entirely possible that it smells similar when burnt.

If the surface is slightly bumpy/rough then it's Teflon. Otherwise, it's probably just a coating.

And regarding vinegar, you guys are weird, there's only one true vinegar:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

(Not to suggest there's not other kinds of Chinese vinegar)

Good but not the best :smug:

Aero737 posted:

I don't think I can live a happy life without 山西老陈醋 (ShanXi Lao Chen Cu), However I don't think I've ever seen it in the US. It isn't as sweet as some other Chinese vinegars, but is good for adding to fried rice or noodles, and makes a great dipping sauce for dumplings.

It's really loving good. This is the good poo poo

For me, I swear by Pat Chun. A small Hong Kong brand, they are like the whole food's of Chinese sauces

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=...w=1920&bih=1075

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dinner the other night. Hairy crab ovaries roe served on top of glass noodles.

It's so loving good

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 3, 2014

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
After scraping the poo poo out of my new wok, I decided to test it out. I didn't have too many ingredients to work with so I made beef and green onions over rice noodles. It worked out pretty dang well I think. My quick boil burner provided quite a bit of heat. Enough to produce a bit of the "wok hei" that's heavily mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics of the final product.

Can't wait to try it again!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I know Kenji is pretty well regarded by GWS, but I want to throw this recipe up here. I like this Kung Pao Chicken more than any I've had in a restaurant. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/how-to-make-takeout-style-kung-pao-chicken-kenji-recipe.html?ref=title

I do the NPR one:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90206117

Turns out pretty damned good, especially with the addition of mushrooms.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

caberham posted:

Dinner the other night. Hairy crab ovaries roe served on top of glass noodles.

whoa

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

I do the NPR one:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90206117

Turns out pretty damned good, especially with the addition of mushrooms.

Mushrooms :staredog:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

Mushrooms :staredog:

Yea, I've never heard of that but it seems like it'd be a good idea. Some places do the lettuce stem bits, which are boring. Mushrooms would be way better if you're padding it out with something.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Any advice on roasting a goose? I'm mostly thinking about the marinade for the insides while the skin is drying.

e: Goose, not duck. I know my way around a duck.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 7, 2014

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/09/the-food-lab-how-to-make-peking-duck-at-home.html

It's a pain in the rear end is what it is.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Did I really post duck when I meant goose? I'm not even drunk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Making authentic Peking Duck is a pain in the rear end but dry a duck in a cool room with a fan for 24 hours, roast it with a sweet/savory glaze and slice it to serve in the traditional Peking Duck manner and you won't care whether you got the authenticity exactly right because it's drat good eating.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Have you guys heard of a dish called Happy Tiger Lo-main, I had a Chinese g/f make it for me years ago. Can't find anyone else who's even heard of it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tiger noodles is a Taiwan dish. Yeah, soup on the side with chopped meat on top of thick noodles and scallion.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
It was really good, anyone know the recipe for it?

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010
So glad to see that this thread is still going! I'm just starting to get back into Chinese cooking again (after a long stint of Indian curries + various kinds of take-out).

I made fish-fragrant eggplant again last week:

And on the weekend I did kung pao tofu with fried rice vermicelli:

I also got inspired by an episode of Iron Chef and decided to try making liver fried rice:

I know it's probably not super authentic, but it was drat tasty!

And I don't have any pictures, but I also made some really nice vegetable stock last weekend! Most of the ingredients were pretty standard/general, but I was surprised by the inclusion of boxthorn/wolfberries/goji berries/杞子 and red dates/jujubes/红枣 as ingredients. I'd never used either before, let alone for making stock! It came out quite rich and wonderful though and I think this will become my go-to vegetable stock recipe from now on.

I know it's probably not at all authentic, but I also love tossing sliced Chinese sausage (I think the variety that I normally get is xiang chang/香腸) in the rice cooker on top of my rice and then adding baby bok choy and mushrooms until I can't fit any more with a bit of light soy sauce, star anise, oyster sauce and/or hoisin sauce, and maybe a splash of shaoxing wine. Makes for a really tasty and easy one pot meal. I eat it with either sweet chili sauce or spicy chili crisp Lao gan ma depending on how I'm feeling. Yum!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's home cooking so you are the chef, you are the master! If guests don't like what they are eating they can :frogout:

but go easy on the corn starch next time

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Just found out that this OEC looking place that I've always skipped over because *strip mall Chinese restaurant* apparently has some loving fantastic food. I check their menu online and see "twice sauteed pork". Oh poo poo. That's gotta be huiguorou.

"Hi, yeah, quick question. Is your twice sauteed pork huiguorou?"

'Yes, how you know about huiguorou?'

"I'm thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Please post a picture! I was just trash talking Boston's Sichuan Garden. I love to be wrong about Chinese food in America

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah fish fragrant. It's 鱼香 you barbarian.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

caberham posted:

Please post a picture! I was just trash talking Boston's Sichuan Garden. I love to be wrong about Chinese food in America

There's another place that is _somewhat_ authentic. They tend to add a bit too much corn starch when finishing their dishes, and most of it is meat + veggies, but they have a few fantastic things, including Xiaolongbao.

Can't go to the new place until this Saturday though.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Every time I meet a Chinese person I get them to show me how they make jiaozi. The interesting thing is they all do it differently, and they always agree to show me, because Chinese people loving love jiaozi.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

caberham posted:

It's home cooking so you are the chef, you are the master! If guests don't like what they are eating they can :frogout:

but go easy on the corn starch next time

Yeah, I'm realizing now that I may have misread the recipe. I thought 1 Tbsp. seemed like a lot of cornstarch for that amount of liquid, but since I don't use cornstarch that often, I just went with it. I cut it back to 2 tsp. for the next recipe, but I'll probably try it with just 1 tsp. next time. Was still tasty even with the extra cornstarch though!

Gonna try the spicy fried chicken from this thread tomorrow night. And fried nian gao is on the docket for the weekend. :)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

posh spaz posted:

Every time I meet a Chinese person I get them to show me how they make jiaozi. The interesting thing is they all do it differently, and they always agree to show me, because Chinese people loving love jiaozi.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

posh spaz posted:

Carb + filling is a very very common way to eat all over the world. It's really hard to go wrong.

Unless it's Suzhou. Making your pork xiao long bao taste as sweet as Candy is just loving weird

Symbol posted:

Yeah, I'm realizing now that I may have misread the recipe. I thought 1 Tbsp. seemed like a lot of cornstarch for that amount of liquid, but since I don't use cornstarch that often, I just went with it. I cut it back to 2 tsp. for the next recipe, but I'll probably try it with just 1 tsp. next time. Was still tasty even with the extra cornstarch though!

Gonna try the spicy fried chicken from this thread tomorrow night. And fried nian gao is on the docket for the weekend. :)

Different households different rules!Actually I would not even add corn starch at all, if you want to make some semblance of liquid sauce try a dash of cooking wine/sugar/seasame oil. That's just me though, I loving hate corn starch and the texture just makes me associate it with "lazy Chinese cooking". Then again, mainlanders think I'm a horrible culinary imperialist with bad taste when I cook with maggi and lea and perrins

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Cornstarch definitely has its place. It can be over used and lazy, but let's not malign a whole ingredient. Velveting meat, for example, provides a very unique texture.

But then I'm a mainlander that's never heard of your maggi or lea or perrins.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Cornstarch definitely has its place. It can be over used and lazy, but let's not malign a whole ingredient. Velveting meat, for example, provides a very unique texture.

Sorry for being hyperbole. My mom water velvets her scallops and lobsters pretty well but I can never get it right so I just give up. I guess it can be done with other meats as well, hmmmm. Maybe I should at least try water blanching next time, my chicken stir fry is not as smooth and silky on the outside. Actually I just under cook my meat a little bit and by the time I serve it onto the plate and rest it's "ok la"

quote:

Maggi is god and works wonders for your fried eggs in the morning as well. It is the end all and be all of ingredients in commonwealth countries.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

Maggi is god and works wonders for your fried eggs in the morning as well. It is the end all and be all of ingredients in commonwealth countries.

No, that's not true at all. I had never heard of Maggi before I came to Hong Kong, and while it is on the shelves of UK supermarkets, I know nobody except my (Hong Kong) Chinese wife's family who uses it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
UK doesn't count! Should have said former British colonies or something when it comes to cooking Chinese food

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wanna make spam fried rice nigirizushi, the ultimate Asian fusion monstrosity.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I remember staying at a youth hostel in Canada where they thought adding spam and lettuce to gung zai min was a fantastic idea that they'd never tried. Amateurs.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 11, 2014

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've got a cast iron wok and it seems pretty smooth to me. Stir frying veggies works great, but meat coats the bottom with a layer of marinade/protein that burns to a crisp and keeps the rest of the food from getting any action. What am I doing wrong? Stirring too quickly after adding the meat? Not hot enough? Too much marinade?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

caberham posted:

Carb + filling is a very very common way to eat all over the world. It's really hard to go wrong.

My point was more about how every time it's like this:
Me: "Hello person I just met, come to my house and cook dinner with me?"
Them: "Yes please!"

I'm sure lots of people eat starch and meat, but few do it with as much enthusiasm.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
All this talk of Maggi makes me want to give it a try. Is this something you put a few drops of into a dish, or what?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Lea & Perrins is this glorious stuff. I've never heard of its use in Chinese cooking, but it's really goddamn tasty. Goes great with everything.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

posh spaz posted:

I'm sure lots of people eat starch and meat, but few do it with as much enthusiasm.

Except goons. Seriously, we get way more excited talking about different fast food chains than Stir Fry and Cantonese food. It's only when out of town folks visit that I get to eat something that's not a sandwich/hamburger/pizza

ToxicFrog posted:

Lea & Perrins is this glorious stuff. I've never heard of its use in Chinese cooking, but it's really goddamn tasty. Goes great with everything.

And the awesome thing is that you can't add too much of it. It never gets too sweet like teriyaki sauce or oyster sauce.

Nickoten posted:

All this talk of Maggi makes me want to give it a try. Is this something you put a few drops of into a dish, or what?

Treat it like light soysauce and pepper. Slightly savoury full of flavoured MSG. Safest bet is to fry an omlette and add maggi.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maggi and L&P are my go-tos whenever a sauce just needs that something (which usually turns out to be umami). Both are pure flavor, although L&P has a little more funk to its flavor and should therefore be used more thoughtfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I only know Maggi as the instant noodle with curry powder seasoning packet that my Indian wife loves.

(It's not actually that great, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug)