Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Disappointing Pie posted:

I used Pocket Casts for ages but switched to Overcast and I love it. It even has a web app that stays synced with your apps.

Holy crap I didn't even know this and I've been using Overcast for a while. This is amazing. I just wish the app had chapter support and would display the entire description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

keevo posted:

Holy crap I didn't even know this and I've been using Overcast for a while. This is amazing. I just wish the app had chapter support and would display the entire description.

PocketCast web syncs your play spot but you have to pony up $10 for it.

I am not switching from PocketCast because Overcast's webplayer is somehow worse than PocketCast's.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

bronin posted:

Are there any other apps like "out of milk" out there? I just need a simple app for grocery lists that I can share with my girlfriend so we can both add and cross off items.

Its more than a grocery list, but my girlfriend and I use paprika and its great. We plan out the weeks meals and when she gets home before me, she can see what we are making that night on the calendar and start doing the prep work before I get home. It costs s few bucks but it has really come in handy, and it has the shopping list functionality you are looking for to.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any stable, reliable apps out there yet? Swype and SwiftKey are dogshit still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of them! I recommend Overcast.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nice callback.

looking for reliable keyboard apps please.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ICHIBAHN posted:

SwiftKey works great for me. The only bug I regularly encounter is that the keyboard won't show up in spotlight search which is pretty annoying.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
iKeyWi and a jailbreak is more stable than any legit keyboard mod I've used, yet and ikeywi isn't even officially supported in ios 8 :v:

I think you're out of luck.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I was actually about to say, I really like nintype most of the time, but it seems randomly buggy as poo poo (usually with orientation switches, quick replies from the lockscreen, etc) I can't tell if it's a failing of the app itself, or just issues with apple's handling of third-party keyboards.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
SwiftKey has basically become my default. It's the best.

Minuum is okay, but it tends not to autocorrect when you want it to.

For some reason Swype seemed like night to SwiftKey's day. I hated it.

I have that weird spaceman looking keyboard on app shopper for a price drop. If it's got as big of a learning curve as people say, I'm not willing to invest 5 bone.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

The reason third party keyboards feel unreliable are due to issues with iOS, and nothing on that end has changed yet. It is usable, but you will get obnoxious delays in switching keyboards and in the keyboard launching in situations like spotlight, with every keyboard.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheers lads.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Devil Tesla posted:

The reason third party keyboards feel unreliable are due to issues with iOS, and nothing on that end has changed yet. It is usable, but you will get obnoxious delays in switching keyboards and in the keyboard launching in situations like spotlight, with every keyboard.

That's actually really good to hear, since everything else about nintype is super pleasing.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Anyone have a chance to use Next as their keyboard? I'm on their invite list but I haven't gotten an invite so far.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

wattershed posted:

Anyone have a chance to use Next as their keyboard? I'm on their invite list but I haven't gotten an invite so far.

What's this? Googling isn't yielding anything

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

101 posted:

What's this? Googling isn't yielding anything

http://nextkeyboard.co

Autplays music with no way to stop it. 0/5 stars.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

noirstronaut posted:

http://nextkeyboard.co

Autplays music with no way to stop it. 0/5 stars.

Agreed. Except there's a big music note that you can click to mute it. But other than that, sure.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

wattershed posted:

Agreed. Except there's a big music note that you can click to mute it. But other than that, sure.

Oh. Well I still hate it :colbert:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ecoute is free today

http://appsto.re/us/D3caG.i

e: Oh, Double post; my bad. It's for the greater good, however.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And I'm using it now. Very happy so far. Wish I could make it my default audio player.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Anybody know of a good to-do app that supports handwriting? This is all I could find and the dev has a dead website but I might try it for 3$. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/manage-handwriting-to-do-task/id384312640?mt=8

None of the digital to-do lists has ever worked for me like writing poo poo down but it sure would be nice to have modern digital to-do list features thrown into the mix.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Porkchop Express posted:

Its more than a grocery list, but my girlfriend and I use paprika and its great. We plan out the weeks meals and when she gets home before me, she can see what we are making that night on the calendar and start doing the prep work before I get home. It costs s few bucks but it has really come in handy, and it has the shopping list functionality you are looking for to.

So it has a directory of recipes, a calendar and a shopping list? Like you can fill the calendar with whatever recipes you wanna do that day? That's neat, might make me buy it.

E: Just checked it out on the store and apparently it does. It's just not universal but I guess it'll still synch between iPad and iPhone.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zwille posted:

So it has a directory of recipes, a calendar and a shopping list? Like you can fill the calendar with whatever recipes you wanna do that day? That's neat, might make me buy it.

E: Just checked it out on the store and apparently it does. It's just not universal but I guess it'll still synch between iPad and iPhone.

Not a library as much as a custom search engine and parsing support for most popular recipe sites.

It's like pocket for recipes (reformatting them to be awesome) + a calendar + a grocery list app. All of these features also work together very well and sync by account.

What I mean is you can find recipes for pancakes on allrecipes, save it so it's formatted by ingredient, directions and nutrition, then add milk from the recipe to your grocery list when you see that you're low. I don't use the calendar function much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

Easiest is maybe to share a reminder list, in the stock reminders app.

Personally, I find the autocomplete to be really useful in dedicated grocery apps. You usually only have to type a few letters, and it can also fill in the category like produce. We use AnyList, but I think any one with a canned list of ingredients would be pretty useful. (AnyList is $8 a year for all the features, which seems a bit pricey to me, but it works fine if you don't pay.)

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I think a goon recently straight up made an app to satisfy his needs for exactly this.

That's me! It doesn't have any kind of sharing though. Silo is a similar list app that does have sharing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

SwiftKey has basically become my default. It's the best.

Minuum is okay, but it tends not to autocorrect when you want it to.

For some reason Swype seemed like night to SwiftKey's day. I hated it.

I have that weird spaceman looking keyboard on app shopper for a price drop. If it's got as big of a learning curve as people say, I'm not willing to invest 5 bone.
Minuum had the worst auto correct of the ones I tried (and wasn't even any smaller than Fleksy's smallest size), and yeah SwiftKey seemed a lot nicer than Swype from the short time I played around with both.

And I assume you mean Nintype by spaceman looking keyboard. The learning curve isn't too bad for just typing at least, I'm still getting better at it but I generally got the gist from the little tutorial and just typing random stuff out. Basically just think of it as a tap and/or swipe keyboard with both fingers, simultaneously if you want (side note: it kinda fucks you up on other keyboards once you're used to it). It kinda seems easier the less you think about it and just go, at least until you gently caress up really bad on a quick swipe and forget to type some key letters of the word with the opposite hand.

I think the main issue is just remembering the shortcuts to little stuff, like swipe down on V is comma and down-M is period (I think), and a bunch of stuff like that on top of the other gesture and menu commands. Non typing action wise, there's a shitload of settings (which you may or may not need to ever bother with) and they're all within the keyboard itself (to avoid the full access thing), so it can be annoying to mess with them. I've tweaked some stuff to my liking and left a bunch alone cause hell if I know what they do.

And something a few people would be interested in since it's come up before, it supports multiple dictionaries simultaneously. Adding to the dictionary is simple too from what I can tell, just type something out slowly enough and it'll add once you hit space, it also shows a little "+yourword" thing on the spacebar as you're typing like that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok I've had Ecoute got a couple of days and I must say it's fantastic. Great app. Especially as it was free. Download it now, especially if it's gratis.

Side note, is there any way to change how mp3 files are opened on the iPhone? I'd love to make Ecoute my default music player. Probably one for the jailbreak thread I expect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I originally posted this in the wrong thread - apologies.

Simply, I want to be able to build video playlists on my iPod Touch (5) again. I used to be able to natively, but an OS upgrade a year or two back did away with that. Then I tried MVP Player which cost me $3, but it was splendid until, you guessed it, an update cocked it up. I have nearly 400 short videos that I simply want to be able to play, in random order, with my iPod in landcape.

Any suggestions? Rather frustrated.

Edit: .mp4 format, if it matters.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok I've had Ecoute got a couple of days and I must say it's fantastic. Great app. Especially as it was free. Download it now, especially if it's gratis.

Ecoute is no longer free but $1.99. Please explain to me what makes it so special. I am curious. I have heard a ton of people saying "It's great!" but I don't recall seeing reasons.
:)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Feenix posted:

Ecoute is no longer free but $1.99. Please explain to me what makes it so special. I am curious. I have heard a ton of people saying "It's great!" but I don't recall seeing reasons.

It's not as good as Picky.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not as good as Picky.

Only thing that bums me out about picky is that when you enque songs there is a hiccup

radge
Jan 21, 2005

This Workflow app seems nice. A bit like a supercharged native IFTTT. 40% off launch special too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feenix posted:

First of all, the design is very nice, the icon and the name are appealing to me. Second of all, it just does everything I want well; you can post what you're listning to to Twitter and Facebook, queue up songs, read song lyrics. Plus it has a nice interface and does everything Music does (plays songs obviously, searches for stuff, plays audiobooks and podcasts).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

radge posted:

This Workflow app seems nice. A bit like a supercharged native IFTTT. 40% off launch special too.

I got a demo of this from the kid who created it and I was pretty impressed with the huge amount of services you could chain.

Then he told me he was going to charge $5 or $7 for it and I just said "ohhhh alright".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

The song queue is pretty sweet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not sure if they're any good but a couple scanning apps are free today.

Scanbot: http://appshopper.com/utilities/scanbot-pdf-scanner-multipage-cloud-upload-of-scans

PDF Scanner: http://appshopper.com/productivity/pdf-scanner-easily-scan-books-and-multipage-documents-to-pdf

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 11, 2014

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Scanbot is the best scanner app I've used, and I scan a TON of poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Scanbot is the best scanner app I've used, and I scan a TON of poo poo.

The in-app OCR sounds great but what else does it do that Scanner Pro doesn't?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

tuyop posted:

The in-app OCR sounds great but what else does it do that Scanner Pro doesn't?
Based on my experience with Scanner Pro since iOS8: work reliably.

I've made the switch over at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Kenny Logins posted:

Based on my experience with Scanner Pro since iOS8: work reliably.

What is going on with iOS8?

Many of my go-to apps have either not been updated yet and suffer from bugs induced by iOS8's changes, or have been updated and nearly broken by those updates.

It's not 100% absentee developers either. For instance Trillian has recently proudly announced updates for every platform they'r on... except for iOS. That one hasn't been updated since summer 2013. It works ok on the iPhone, but on my iPad it's all messed up. The message pane is off screen in landscape.

There's 3-4 others that I use frequently that are in a similar state and it's getting annoying. I don't recall this big of a mess in the last few iOS version updates.

Weird.