Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This is a really cool picture of something I knew about but had never seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Major Kong lays out the A-10 vs. F-35 issue and does a very good job of it, too

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

quote:

What I've come up with is:

1. It's complicated.
2. It depends on who you ask.

<...>

The A-10 has no air-to-air capability to speak of and it is most definitely not survivable against 4th generation SAMs. Unless its flaming wreckage happens to land on top of the bad guys, it will not get much close air support done if double-digit missiles (SA-10 or newer) are in the neighborhood.

<...>

I don't know anyone who's actually flown the F-35. I am told by people in the know that its electronic suite is incredible. Aviation buffs tend to focus on the airframe and performance figures but I'm told by people in the F-22 community that the real magic today lies in the electronics.

Yeah, that's probably the most even-handed and realistic piece I've read on the issue. I do take issue with his assertion that the USAF is run by fighter guys...that's the stereotype but it's really not true, especially not recently.

Oh yeah, and it goes without saying but don't read the comments :psyduck:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A decently presented article for once. What the hell is the $/hr cost of A-10s that it would take 360 F-16s at AMARC to see the same savings?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jonny Nox posted:

Sorry folks: I'm alone, out of town and bored. Your gonna have to put up with photo dumps for awhile.

Mmmm, Hawkeye pics.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

A decently presented article for once. What the hell is the $/hr cost of A-10s that it would take 360 F-16s at AMARC to see the same savings?

Depot/ALC/SPO/FTU/other back-end stuff. Assuming we're considering "$/hr cost" to only be the O&M portion of that (fuel, parts, ops/mx personnel, etc) then the A-10 is quite a bit cheaper...but like he implies, by keeping the A-10 around and making the cuts elsewhere you have to cut more individual airframes in the other MDS since you aren't getting to cut the associated backend.

I mean in reality it's one big shell-game since it's not like those people are directly getting riffed, the positions are going to go to other platforms (F-35) but from a budget perspective that's the logic.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Anyways: Agressors. 'Murican planes, Ruskie Colors

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, that's probably the most even-handed and realistic piece I've read on the issue. I do take issue with his assertion that the USAF is run by fighter guys...that's the stereotype but it's really not true, especially not recently.

Oh yeah, and it goes without saying but don't read the comments :psyduck:

The comment about the electronics is something I've been suspecting for a while. We've seen a lot of countries choose to purchase the F-35 even when it seems like a bad option. Many reasons have been blamed, from US state department lobbying to straight up bribery by Lockheed Martin, but I bet the electronic warfare component is actually the biggest part of it. I'm totally open to the idea that a ton of Western governments have decided to seppuku themselves en masse, but the possibility that maybe there's some pixie dust poo poo going on with the F-35 that we don't know about is also plausible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Depot/ALC/SPO/FTU/other back-end stuff. Assuming we're considering "$/hr cost" to only be the O&M portion of that (fuel, parts, ops/mx personnel, etc) then the A-10 is quite a bit cheaper...but like he implies, by keeping the A-10 around and making the cuts elsewhere you have to cut more individual airframes in the other MDS since you aren't getting to cut the associated backend.

I mean in reality it's one big shell-game since it's not like those people are directly getting riffed, the positions are going to go to other platforms (F-35) but from a budget perspective that's the logic.

I get the idea, I just question the math that results in such an extreme.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

The comment about the electronics is something I've been suspecting for a while. We've seen a lot of countries choose to purchase the F-35 even when it seems like a bad option. Many reasons have been blamed, from US state department lobbying to straight up bribery by Lockheed Martin, but I bet the electronic warfare component is actually the biggest part of it. I'm totally open to the idea that a ton of Western governments have decided to seppuku themselves en masse, but the possibility that maybe there's some pixie dust poo poo going on with the F-35 that we don't know about is also plausible.

Said pixie dust is likely to not be working.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

whooops forgot one.

I dig the joker card painted on the speed brake.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mortabis posted:

Nothing even secret, it's just the radar, the EW suite, and DAS, specifically the integration.

Godholio posted:

I get the idea, I just question the math that results in such an extreme.

A-10 fleet totals ~345 tails...not that big of an delta. Remember, the divestment plan isn't/wasn't to send them all to the Guard, it is/was to completely divest the entire fleet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Said pixie dust is likely to not be working.

I keep waiting for some L-M-employed shill to say something to the tune of "the Chinese are ~tirelessly~ trying to duplicate the F-35, and you know what they say about imitation and flattery..." *wink wink nudge nudge*

"Then why'd they give theirs two engines?"

"Because their engines aren't powered by *awesome*. You only need *one* engine when it's awesome."

Godholio posted:

This is a really cool picture of something I knew about but had never seen.

Yeah, I used to live in the Virginia Beach area when my father was working his way through the -46 squadrons and -53E training wing at Norfolk, and you'd see the Russkie-painted F/A-18As and F-16As from the Challengers, usually static on the ramp near the main terminal building. They had this dirty shirt-ish eatery in the terminal then that had some one word name, "Molly's" kind of stands out for some reason. Pilots would come in still reeking of the 5-10 pounds of sweat they'd lost on their flight ops. For all I knew I might've eaten lunch with Hoser and Snort (both were Oceana and Navy Fighter community royalty), but all I cared about was 'seeing jets' and seemingly not minding that my burger had *mayonnaise* on it because it was good and messy...I should probably note that I was ~4-5 at the time.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iyaayas01 posted:

You know how I've said the photoshop of the Osprey refueling the F-35B is USMC_Aviation.jpg?

That's Naval_Aviation.jpg.

Why they never tried just stripping the guts out of an old Hawkeye or a Greyhound and fitting a gas tank and the usual air refueling geegaws is something I'll never understand.

Like, poo poo dudes, the Air Force figured that out in the 1950s.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

But you see, hawkeyes can't STOVL.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jonny Nox posted:

Die Phony bad guy!

Phony? That's clearly an authentic MiG-28 :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The other thing so shocking about that image is how *clean* the Turkey looks. It was a plane that honestly looked better the dirtier it was.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

evil_bunnY posted:

But you see, hawkeyes can't STOVL.

Slap another engine on each wingtip and it will.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Ugh. I'm stuck in SeaTac overnight and this is a thousand miles in the opposite direction of where we were supposed to be tonight.

Bitch over. Back to Mig-28 chat. What range did you observe it from?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Slap another engine on each wingtip and it will.

Or...

http://snafu-solomon.blogspot.com/2013/09/v-22-weve-seen-refueler-is-aew-variant.html

"It slices, it dices, it juliennes!"

I don't know why it's showing a Boeing JSF being refueled, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 11, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MrYenko posted:

Why are Commonwealth aircraft either mind-numbingly beautiful (Spitfire, Mosquito, Dragon Rapide, Vulcan, Sea Fury, Comet, Concorde,) or essentially the very epitome of an ugly motherfucker? (Basically everything else.)

There isn't much of a middle ground.

Content: A Percival Provost

You just helped me so thanks!

I've been wondering what this aircraft was since I saw it earlier this year at the Shuttleworth Collection

The prettiest aircraft I saw in person was the DH-88 Comet

A steal at only £5000! in 1934

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

A-10 fleet totals ~345 tails...not that big of an delta. Remember, the divestment plan isn't/wasn't to send them all to the Guard, it is/was to completely divest the entire fleet.

I was thinking there were only about 200, but it looks like that's the ACC portion of the fleet (191 according to Wikipedia).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Might be a repost, but new to me anyway. Great video of the J-58 engines in the SR-71. Those doors and bleeds have never made much sense to me, they do now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ao5SCedIk

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I much prefer my aircraft fat and under powered.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/realhokum/9724618457/in/set-72157635184027168

Can someone rehost the PAK FA pics from this? Currently can't view them myself but I love how it looks and want to see them :tizzy:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ola posted:

Might be a repost, but new to me anyway. Great video of the J-58 engines in the SR-71. Those doors and bleeds have never made much sense to me, they do now.

Everything about the SR-71 is mind blowing, and the fact that it was designed and built 50+ years ago, long before modern computers allowed for detailed simulation work is probably the most amazing thing of all when looking back of the history of the plane and how well it did the things it was designed to do.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Skunk Works for my birthday, and I had a little moment when I was reading it. I realized that, let's say, a 737 flying across Canada (because I've been on a bunch of those in the last few years) is at a certain altitude. A U-2 is as far above my plane as my plane is above the ground.

Blackbird is higher than that, and over three times faster to boot.

And I just thought, Jesus. It's like Martian poo poo in the middle of the 20th century. Those were some smart fuckin' people in that shop.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Locator posted:

Everything about the SR-71 is mind blowing, and the fact that it was designed and built 50+ years ago, long before modern computers allowed for detailed simulation work is probably the most amazing thing of all when looking back of the history of the plane and how well it did the things it was designed to do.

A good friend of mine got his Phd recently, and he's intellectually omnivorous: his Phd is a interdisciplinary one between Philosophy and math. I was thinking of gifting him a model SR-71 someday, possibly with the caption "built without computers" or "built with slide-rules" or something. My question is: was the SR-71 built without aid of computers?

I know that there might be some ambiguity; I was specifically thinking of the Concorde's wings which apparently needed computers to get the shape right.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Someone say slow (relative) plane pictures?

And of course the best looking plane of the era:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The mind blowing thing isn't that this was done 50 years ago, the mind blowing thing is thinking about what might not be declassified at this point that has been building for 50 years on that technology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

A good friend of mine got his Phd recently, and he's intellectually omnivorous: his Phd is a interdisciplinary one between Philosophy and math. I was thinking of gifting him a model SR-71 someday, possibly with the caption "built without computers" or "built with slide-rules" or something. My question is: was the SR-71 built without aid of computers?

I know that there might be some ambiguity; I was specifically thinking of the Concorde's wings which apparently needed computers to get the shape right.

Its design was certainly only done with slide rules, but radar testing and other such testing certainly relied on some sort of computer. However, most of the initial designing was all done by hand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

bull3964 posted:

The mind blowing thing isn't that this was done 50 years ago, the mind blowing thing is thinking about what might not be declassified at this point that has been building for 50 years on that technology.
Totally from my rear end guess, but I think in reality we'd probably be a little disappointed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Why do all P-51s have invasion stripes.

Also perfect ones at that, not ones that were splashed on the night before the invasion started.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

hobbesmaster posted:

Also perfect ones at that, not ones that were splashed on the night before the invasion started.

Because P-51's get repainted every 5-10 years and D-day stripes are iconic. Also, nobody wants their 2-3 million dollar airplane to look messy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

And of course the best looking plane of the era:

:agreed:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ahem.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nope, sorry, the original lovely air intakes look better.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

Because they look loving awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist