Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is a general gripe against long RPGs, and probably says more about how I play games, but if you start an RPG of significant length, be sure to finish it or at least conclude you don't want to finish it before setting it down for an extended period of time. Coming back to Dragon's Dogma after a long break, I have no feel for where I need to go (even with a quest log!) or what my party is capable of, but starting from square one sounds about as appealing as getting my wisdom teeth removed :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, it's not the game's fault you stopped playing it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jaramin posted:

Well, some games are just really poo poo when it comes to letting you know where you left off. I can't say anything about Dragon's Dogma though.

The opposite problem is happening for me in Far Cry 3. Every time I load up my save, it plays the last voice acting scene about what to do. "Jason, I tried calling you what happened?" gently caress you game I don't need this every single time.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Dragon's Dogma doesn't really have a complex story though. There's a dragon talking poo poo to you in Latin and you have to go fight him. All the main quests are basically go and kill some guys and pick up some items without any real story springing up in them, and most of them are optional anyway. It doesn't matter where you left off. Pack up on some potent greenwarish and big mushrooms and beat up some goblins until you get back into the swing of things. You can reset you and your pawns skills at the inn and fire whichever pawns you rented to get some new ones and you won't even have to worry about your party.

You can actually beat the game in a half hour if you place those teleport stones around the map on your first playthrough and just skip around doing the bare minimum of quests. The game's more about having fun fighting huge things and playing around with the different fighting styles.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jaramin posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Games are designed to be played in a fairly contiguous series of sessions. If someone plays half the game, puts it down for six months, and then comes back to it, it is not the fault of the game if that person forgets what they were doing. It's actually a no-fault situation since games aren't typically meant to be played in that fashion.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So his real gripe with the game was that the game sucked so bad he put it down for 6 months.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So then you're saying that the best game is WoW?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

I don't think that's what anyone's trying to say? Though I don't really understand what could possibly be added to a game to fix this problem if you can't figure out what to do from a quest log and objectives. I understand the feeling that poster was talking about, but it's usually fine after I dig through the menus a bit or talk to people and get myself back up to speed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Batman games (or maybe just the latter two? I don't remember) have a recap whenever you start the game back up and load a save. Not just "here's your current objective" but also "this is what led up to the current objective".

I'm not sure if that style is 100% appropriate for every single game ever made, but certainly helps alleviate that feeling of being lost at very little cost.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

The Batman games (or maybe just the latter two? I don't remember) have a recap whenever you start the game back up and load a save. Not just "here's your current objective" but also "this is what led up to the current objective".

I'm not sure if that style is 100% appropriate for every single game ever made, but certainly helps alleviate that feeling of being lost at very little cost.

I guess it would help if you've taken a long break, but I hated that sort of thing when it was in a game I was playing continuously. If it's skippable though, I wouldn't mind.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DStecks posted:

Absolutely no one is even implying this.

Dragon's Dogma has every one of those things and you're still going to feel lost if you leave for 6 months because that's how almost any similar game works. Progressing quickly requires learning a lot of info about the game (both mechanics/skills and simply where you were/what you'd done) so of course you're going to forget it if you leave for a long time. It took me 20 minutes or so to get sorted out after just a couple weeks away from Lords of the Fallen in the middle of my second playthrough, and that game is considerably shorter.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kimmalah posted:

I guess it would help if you've taken a long break, but I hated that sort of thing when it was in a game I was playing continuously. If it's skippable though, I wouldn't mind.

It's on the loading screen. It works out pretty great.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Piell posted:

That I don't mind. I was thinking it was something along the lines of Darksiders 2, that basically made you watch a cutscene recap every time you loaded the game up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Skippable, or only happening the first time you start the game, is key. I got really tired of having to sit through a 3-minute phone call in Far Cry 3 every time I died trying to take a stronghold or just farting around the island.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was playing Professor Layton Unwound Future last night, and used a hint on a puzzle. The hint basically boiled down to "This one is tricky! Think about it carefully!"

Wow thanks Professor go to hell

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

DStecks posted:

Turtles in Time is literally the worst example you could have used because it can be completed in under 30 minutes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I was playing Professor Layton Unwound Future last night, and used a hint on a puzzle. The hint basically boiled down to "This one is tricky! Think about it carefully!"

The hints in the Layton game I've played usually go like this:
1) In no way helpful
2) The Answer
3) The Answer again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Falcon's gloves in the new Smash Bros game look terrible to me. He looks like his wrists are snapped in almost every screenshot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Amoeba102 posted:

The hints in the Layton game I've played usually go like this:
1) In no way helpful
2) The Answer
3) The Answer again

Yeah this is pretty much how Layton hints work.

Question: "What is two plus two?"

Hint one: "Think about what two plus two is."
Hint two: "One, two, three, ____"
Hint three: "The answer is four."

It's like playing the trivia game at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always kind of wanted to spend all my hint coins on the really easy puzzles at the start of the games and see if the hint messages get incredibly condescending by the third hint.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

im pooping! posted:

Turtles in Time is literally the worst example you could have used because it can be completed in under 30 minutes.

The game can be beaten before the credits to FF8 finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2oJ3GGUIQ

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
And speaking of Dragon's Dogma, that game has a lot going for it, and a lot of poo poo working against it. Two things bothered me more than anything: Enemy spawns are the exact same every time you go into the game world, and your pawns never stop saying stupidly obvious things. Apparently you can make them less talky, but that option is oddly worded and doesn't shut them up completely IIRC.

That game had just a ton of little problems dragging it down, so hopefully Capcom is willing to make a sequel at some point. Maybe even with a PC version so people can mod things like that out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mildly Amusing posted:

And speaking of Dragon's Dogma, that game has a lot going for it, and a lot of poo poo working against it. Two things bothered me more than anything: Enemy spawns are the exact same every time you go into the game world, and your pawns never stop saying stupidly obvious things. Apparently you can make them less talky, but that option is oddly worded and doesn't shut them up completely IIRC.

That game had just a ton of little problems dragging it down, so hopefully Capcom is willing to make a sequel at some point. Maybe even with a PC version so people can mod things like that out.

Wolves hunt in packs.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

im pooping! posted:

Uh, not if you're a seven year old kid. :colbert:

I wasn't trying to demean Turtles in Time, it makes sense for that game that there's no saves, because yeah it's meant to be beaten all in one sitting. I just hate seeing people moan about games making the story easier for the player to follow, because there's a long history of games that were miserable because they made no such concessions and you only put up with that because you were a kid/teenager with mountains of spare time and probably a limited number of games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Love how they keep nerfing the good items in Binding of Isaac Rebirth into uselessness while leaving the garbage items alone.

Also the lost is still a horrible lovely character that everyone hates, goes completely against what the game is about and everyone who finished the game with him did so via a glitch that rendered them invulnerable.

The hard mode is pretty weak to, it just starves you of keys and bombs and gives you horrible room lay-outs that in some occasions make it impossible to avoid damage unless you have flight.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Love how they keep nerfing the good items in Binding of Isaac Rebirth into uselessness while leaving the garbage items alone.

Do BoI and Terraria have the same designers?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

triplexpac posted:

On a similar note, once you've solved the puzzle in Puzzle Agent, the "why is this the solution" section is "this is the solution. Just because" like 90% of the time. Gets a bit better in Puzzle Agent 2, but still.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Piell posted:

Human Revolution had this too, IIRC.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Alteisen posted:

Also the lost is still a horrible lovely character that everyone hates, goes completely against what the game is about and everyone who finished the game with him did so via a glitch that rendered them invulnerable.

The hard mode is pretty weak to, it just starves you of keys and bombs and gives you horrible room lay-outs that in some occasions make it impossible to avoid damage unless you have flight.

Any singleplayer game that receives nerfs on literally anything is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of in my life.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

At least the most recent patch gets rid of the key/bomb starvation in hard mode. Now only heart drops are limited.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Any singleplayer game that receives nerfs on literally anything is the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard of in my life.

Balance in singleplayer games, while not as immediately vital as it is in multiplayer ones, is still pretty fundamental to good game design. Even moreso to a game like BoI where the challenge is a part of the appeal.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

John Murdoch posted:

Balance in singleplayer games, while not as immediately vital as it is in multiplayer ones, is still pretty fundamental to good game design. Even moreso to a game like BoI where the challenge is a part of the appeal.

This is true, but the solution isn't to make things that are fun into unfun things, it's to improve the unfun things so that they're also viable options. Admittedly this is harder to pull off in games where high difficulty is an appeal, but if games like that ship with obvious Best strategies then it doesn't sound like a solidly designed game to begin with. There's also the classic response, just don't do the too strong thing if it takes away from your enjoyment.

e: This isn't to say I disagree with you, I just think that with a few exceptions nerfing is not the best way to get a game balanced.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I can see why some people prefer Fallout: New Vegas to Fallout 3, but I sometimes think that it's a little overcomplicated.

After completing the first act (which is quite linear, but in a good way), the game really opens up... but it does this by throwing a bunch of quests at you all at once, all from or relating to different factions that have different relationships with one another.

It's still fun because it gives you things to do, but it really raises its head when you follow up on a suggestion to meet the Brotherhood of Steel. They arrest you and fit you with an explosive collar, effectively holding you prisoner until you "deal with" an NCR Ranger for them. It seems like you can do something with the Ranger's radio or pass a speech check, which I would've liked considering I've been working for the NCR previously... but I couldn't pass the speech check nor see the radio (he was apparently in the wrong place due to another New Vegas glitch). Therefore I had to kill him in order to continue with the Brotherhood quest, but in a moment of inconsistency I'm apparently not given a bad reputation with the NCR anyway?

The only way I found out about most of this was by looking online (and even then I can't find an explanation for the last thing I mentioned), which takes us back to the discussion a while ago about games that get you looking online for things. I don't like it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Heavy Lobster posted:

This is true, but the solution isn't to make things that are fun into unfun things, it's to improve the unfun things so that they're also viable options. Admittedly this is harder to pull off in games where high difficulty is an appeal, but if games like that ship with obvious Best strategies then it doesn't sound like a solidly designed game to begin with. There's also the classic response, just don't do the too strong thing if it takes away from your enjoyment.

e: This isn't to say I disagree with you, I just think that with a few exceptions nerfing is not the best way to get a game balanced.

Whereas I would argue that more often than not nerfing is inevitably going to be the best option because the presumed alternative, buffing a much larger pool of choices to compensate, takes far more work, is more likely to introduce more problems in the process, and even if all goes well is going to add power creep which can mess things up all the same.

Ideally nerfing is just another tool in the toolbox, though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

One thing that bugged me about New Vegas and really any other game with competing factions is that they're all perfectly psychic. If I get the drop on a completely unawares soldier and take him out with a single headshot and he has no buddies for miles, I should not take a reputation hit. If there's two or whatever I can write that off as a radio transmission but not one clueless guy who died before he heard the rifle fire. I'm an invisible spirit of wrath dammit, let me play like one.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Chard posted:

One thing that bugged me about New Vegas and really any other game with competing factions is that they're all perfectly psychic. If I get the drop on a completely unawares soldier and take him out with a single headshot and he has no buddies for miles, I should not take a reputation hit. If there's two or whatever I can write that off as a radio transmission but not one clueless guy who died before he heard the rifle fire. I'm an invisible spirit of wrath dammit, let me play like one.

I know why they do that, but yeah. It sort of kills the feeling of immersion when they know instantaneously.

Starsector did good with this thought. Since fights aren't exactly one-on-one or instantaneous, it makes sense that they can send a transmission out to their allies, or you can to yours. When it comes to smuggling, they launch an investigation when smuggling happens, and a while later it can lead back to you - but they don't know it was you that did it right away.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What frustrated me about New Vegas was that despite having good rep and bad rep levels, you still largely had an even divide between "shoot on sight" and "leave alone" with almost all factions. If you piss of a monolithic group even a little then you'd be slamming the ceiling of negative rep like a rocket just from defending yourself.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Chard posted:

Mercenaries 2 had a faction system where members of a faction would try to radio in if you started attacking them, and you would only take a repuation hit if they finished the message before you killed them. It was a little silly though, as they would ID you pretty much immediately and then ramble on for fifteen seconds.

"We're getting attacked by the mercenary! Yeah, the mercenary that Sedano hired! Yeah, he's here and he's killing all of us! Send rein-*urk*"

Apparently the command center couldn't figure out who was attacking them without that last sentence being finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lotish posted:

What frustrated me about New Vegas was that despite having good rep and bad rep levels, you still largely had an even divide between "shoot on sight" and "leave alone" with almost all factions. If you piss of a monolithic group even a little then you'd be slamming the ceiling of negative rep like a rocket just from defending yourself.

When I did a run for the Legion side of things, I had already done a bunch of quests for the NCR first. So my reputation with them was so high that I managed to outright assassinate their president and only get down to "Wild Child" status, which still isn't a shoot on sight reputation.