Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
having crushed those rebellious scots, the uk plc brand is now the fourth strongest in the world, apparently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11284281/Brand-Britain-cant-rival-Germany...even-after-the-Scots-voted-to-stay.html

isn't that nice?

unfortunately, everyone's living on borrowed time money:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11285507/Britons-are-living-beyond-their-means-says-OBR.html

quote:

Robert Chote, the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), said real consumer spending over the past year had accelerated ahead of inflation-adjusted pay growth at its second fastest rate since the 1990s.
"If you look at the relatively robust pace of growth over recent quarters, that has been reflected particularly in terms of the contribution from the consumer, of people running down saving rather than having stronger income growth," he told the Treasury Select Committee.
Mr Chote said this pace of consumption relative to earnings growth was likely to be unsustainable. "We've assumed that it is not plausible [that this could continue]," he said.
"If you look at the last year, real consumption growth has been running further ahead of real wage growth than in almost any other year over the last 15 or 20 or so. Therefore, in our forecast the main reason we expect the quarterly pace of growth to slow into next year is that you see consumer spending moving more into line with income growth, and being less driven by [a] decline in saving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

TinTower posted:

Just remembered something about the whole Andy Burnham controversy: as Health Secretary, Burnham brought in a rule that the NHS would always be the preferred bidder in tenders. In February 2010, NHS trade unions actually asked Burnham to restart the tender after the last NHS bidder dropped out, and he refused.

The NHS is hosed. :smith:

Clegg got the situation entirely wrong though, it was the coalition that approved the private sector bid in 2011. You could argue if Labour were still in power they might have done the same but I don't recognise known unknown nonsense.

Timeline:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

tdrules posted:

Clegg got the situation entirely wrong though, it was the coalition that approved the private sector bid in 2011. You could argue if Labour were still in power they might have done the same but I don't recognise known unknown nonsense.

Timeline:

Labour would have absolutely done the same because there were no NHS bidders left by February 2010. The shortlist was nevertheless decided just before the election, instead of the tender being restarted.

e: From the exact same document you've posted a page from:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 11, 2014

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you the same guy likes to gently caress small children?

No kinkshaming in this thread, please.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Re: foodchat, some of the excuses being thrown into the ring are a bit of a stretch. The Internet is widely available and has almost too much information on cooking. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic but if you can't do the following assuming you aren't hypothetical wheelchair snowdonia man, then gently caress me get a grip:

1 onion
1 pepper
500g mince
500g pasta
Pasta sauce
(garlic)
(herbs)
2x tablespoon oil

Total cost (Asda/Lidl) : about £4-5 including the oil and poo poo.

Boil water in pot. Put pasta in. Maybe put salt in.
Chop pepper, chop onion.
Fry mince in oil. Put in garlic and poo poo in if you want.
Put veg into fry too.
When it's all done, drain pasta, put meat and veg into pasta pot with pasta, put sauce on. Stir and heat for a min or two.

Total time including set up and clean up: 20 mins assuming you have a kettle pre boil the water unlike the bloke who took 20 mins to get a loving pan of water boiling.

I'm not going all Jamie Oliver on you here suggesting sicilian fried tomatoes from your local hipster market. This meal is not hard or expensive and lasts an individual approximately 4-5 servings.

I work ten hour catering shifts as a student and can still make this. I struggle to comprehend how people cannot cook at least basic basic meals for themselves. Not to descend I to anecdotes, but my two friends who were on jobseekers still managed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Twisted posted:

Re: foodchat, some of the excuses being thrown into the ring are a bit of a stretch. The Internet is widely available and has almost too much information on cooking.

Check your privilege, some people don't have electricity

Or hands

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Lord Twisted posted:

1 onion
1 pepper
500g mince
500g pasta
Pasta sauce
(garlic)
(herbs)
2x tablespoon oil

Total cost (Asda/Lidl) : about £4-5 including the oil and poo poo.
I read this, and vomited explosively whilst making GBS threads my pants in outrage. I showed this to my wife and she did the same. Not making your own sauce with chopped tomatoes, how revolting.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

My oven is broken what healthy stuff can I cook with a food processor and a microwave?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

I read this, and vomited explosively whilst making GBS threads my pants in outrage. I showed this to my wife and she did the same. Not making your own sauce with chopped tomatoes, how revolting.

Zhe's not your wife you posessive patriarchal cis scum. And gj on assuming zhe identifies as female too.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Kegluneq posted:

Chopped tomatoes and not a tomato/red pepper passata reduction?

*shakes head sadly*

Bet people are leaving out the generous teaspoon of bovril too

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Phoon posted:

My oven is broken what healthy stuff can I cook with a food processor and a microwave?

If you have a spare £30ish get a slow cooker, they are awesome. You can make soups in it as well as roasting lumps of meat or making casseroles.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zero Gravitas posted:

Could be just about anybody.

It's an accurate title, although maybe the Blair pic was a bit mean

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Phoon posted:

if you wrap a chicken breast in foil, you can gradually cook it by carefully moving it back and forth over a candle flame.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Are people seriously buying into the "The Poor are going hungry because they can't cook" bullshit? UKMT always gets weird over food.

Let's lighten the mood and check out the latest Christmas Miracle for our favorite Christmas Card sender.

Christmas is a time where we should forgive past sins after all! Or just pretend they never happened.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

What was that weird word used for kidnapping people with the tacit consent of the country the kidnapping was taking place in so they could be taken off for torture, its on the tip of my tounge, something like inducted or redacted but not those

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rendition?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition

quote:

Rendition, in law, is a transfer of persons from one jurisdiction to another, and the act of handing over, both after legal proceedings and according to law. "Extraordinary rendition," however, is a rendition which is extralegal, i.e. outside the law (see: kidnapping).

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

quote:

The Guardian reported on 5 December 2005, that the British government is "guilty of breaking international law if it knowingly allowed secret CIA "rendition" flights of terror suspects to land at UK airports, according to a report by American legal scholars."

Tony blair wins 3rd election in 2005.

quote:

Word Origin and History for rendition
n.

c.1600, "surrender of a place or possession," from obsolete French rendition "a rendering," noun of action from Old French rendre "to deliver, to yield" (see render (v.)). Meaning "translation" first recorded 1650s; that of "an acting, a performing" first recorded 1858, American English.

Big toothed alien grinning bastard

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fans posted:

Are people seriously buying into the "The Poor are going hungry because they can't cook" bullshit? UKMT always gets weird over food.

Let's lighten the mood and check out the latest Christmas Miracle for our favorite Christmas Card sender.

Christmas is a time where we should forgive past sins after all! Or just pretend they never happened.
Ah yes, the Intelligence and Security Committee, those useless bunch of credulous time-servers fearless seekers after truth who, after investigating this in 2007, confidently announced that nope, Britain has nothing to do with torture at all.

I'm filled with confidence.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hookerbot 5000 posted:

If you have a spare £30ish get a slow cooker, they are awesome. You can make soups in it as well as roasting lumps of meat or making casseroles.

Plus it's christmas so these things are always on sale - there's a 3.5 litre one for £14 at Argos. Slow cookers are good people

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Don't buy that slow cooker from argos. My missus got one and it cracked the first time she used it and spilt everything on the counter.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

KKKlean Energy posted:

Check your privilege, some people don't have electricity

This, but unironically. Anyone remember this delightful story from last winter?

Grauniad posted:

Food banks have started to issue specially prepared "kettle boxes" to clients who cannot afford to switch on their cooker to boil pasta or rice, in the latest sign of the cost of living crisis facing Britain's poorest.

The kettle boxes developed by volunteers from the Trussell Trust charity contain products that can be prepared by adding boiling water, such as instant soup, Pot Noodles, instant mash and just-add-water porridge, as well as staples such as crackers, cereal and tinned food.

For even more destitute clients, a "cold box" food parcel has been created, containing three days' worth of mainly tinned groceries that can be prepared without the need for heating or hot water.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

baka kaba posted:

Plus it's christmas so these things are always on sale - there's a 3.5 litre one for £14 at Argos. Slow cookers are good people

Slow cookers are people? :aaa:

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Several people from this thread participated in my news discussion sentiment study a few threads back. It was anonymous so I don't know who exactly, but thank you if you did. If you're interested in how your data is being used there's some very naive early results at http://research.jscott.me/

I'm running a second study now looking at the credibility of online news systems at http://research2.jscott.me/ - it's similarly easy to do, will take 15 minutes, would help out on work working towards more representative news, and something awful is mentioned. If anyone is interested please go to http://research2.jscott.me/ and give it a go :)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'll get that done after my beard trim, interested in your work too!

Is anyone going to protest restrictions of free speech outside parliament tomorrow by getting their face sat on? That's a thing.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

Zhe's not your wife you posessive patriarchal cis scum. And gj on assuming zhe identifies as female too.
Don't worry I checked this in advance, clarification over mutually agreed pronouns was written into our wedding vows.

Our female minister refused on principle to do the 'obey' bit, which we didn't want anyway :getin:

DesperateDan posted:

Chopped tomatoes and not a tomato/red pepper passata reduction?

*shakes head sadly*

Bet people are leaving out the generous teaspoon of bovril too
Chopped tomatoes are cheaper than passata (we also get frozen sliced peppers instead of fresh - I know, freezer privilege etc...).

She's also vegetarian so no bovril. At least quorn mince is actually pretty good. Any time I try cooking proper mince it comes out tasting like rubber.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Whole tinned tomatoes taste way better, just mash em up in the pot. You can get a cheap hand blender if you really want a smoother consistency, but you don't need to

serious gaylord posted:

Don't buy that slow cooker from argos. My missus got one and it cracked the first time she used it and spilt everything on the counter.

Is this a nice way of saying she dropped it? You can be honest, we're all friends here!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 11, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

Is this a nice way of saying she dropped it? You can be honest, we're all friends here!

No it literally cracked. When she took the pot out of the cooking bit it just spilled everywhere out the bottom.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Lord Twisted posted:

I work ten hour catering shifts as a student and can still make this. I struggle to comprehend how people cannot cook at least basic basic meals for themselves.

You are young and fit; a lot of people aren't, and those people are more likely to be obese.

But let's say everyone can cook basic meals for themselves. Perhaps not everyone should? People can have better things to do than grocery shopping and cooking. And the older they get, the less time and energy they have, the fewer priority tasks they can do - I don't really see why feeding themselves healthily should be one of them.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
My girlfriend does all our cooking so I don't need to worry

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

No it literally cracked. When she took the pot out of the cooking bit it just spilled everywhere out the bottom.

Holy poo poo does she have hands made of asbestos or something? Serve straight from the cooker, man.

baka kaba posted:

^^^ Whole tinned tomatoes taste way better, just mash em up in the pot. You can get a cheap hand blender if you really want a smoother consistency, but you don't need to
This is true. We got a food processor as a wedding present so we're okay there, I'm just lazy. (Also chopped tomatoes are better in chilli for some reason.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kegluneq posted:

Holy poo poo does she have hands made of asbestos or something? Serve straight from the cooker, man.

This is true. We got a food processor as a wedding present so we're okay there, I'm just lazy. (Also chopped tomatoes are better in chilli for some reason.)

She took it out because there was smoke pouring from it after not being on that long, from the crack in the pot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

That's weird, it's a thick ceramic cooking vessel that doesn't even get very hot. Maybe it was broken?

I mean I got a Crock Pot one cheap in a sale for under £20, but I wouldn't really worry about getting a basic one from a cheaper brand. It's a low power heating element with a temperature knob and a heavy ceramic dish, there's not a lot that can go wrong. Maybe avoiding Argos is a good tip though

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

baka kaba posted:

Maybe avoiding Argos is a good tip though
This is a good tip in general.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's wrong with argos?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

What's wrong with argos?
Most of the stuff it sells you can find cheaper online, and you don't have to carry it home with you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zephro posted:

Most of the stuff it sells you can find cheaper online, and you don't have to carry it home with you.

Perfect for those obese poors with no time to do anything.

edit: oh wait no they might not have electricity. Can these services be accessed by shouting loudly from a sofa?

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 11, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Oh dear me posted:

You are young and fit; a lot of people aren't, and those people are more likely to be obese.

But let's say everyone can cook basic meals for themselves. Perhaps not everyone should? People can have better things to do than grocery shopping and cooking. And the older they get, the less time and energy they have, the fewer priority tasks they can do - I don't really see why feeding themselves healthily should be one of them.

Plus poor people might be going hungry because their expected income was slashed because they were sanctioned for not attending a meeting they weren't told about. Or because the zero hours contract or self employment the Job Centre pushed them onto simply doesn't provide enough to feed their children.

Individualism is so pernicious because it encourages people without empathy or experience to game out in their head how they'd definitely survive hardship because they're smart.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

KKKlean Energy posted:

Perfect for those obese poors with no time to do anything.
I weigh 35 stone and I lie on my couch photosynthesising in the glare of my 442-inch OLED curved-screen TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zephro posted:

That goes for any bricks and mortar retailer, surely?

I like the way you can guarantee availability of something when you need it.

• Locked thread