Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Jeeze, that guy shouldn't choke hold him like that. He probably can't breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Some terrorists*

*and some innocents

I, too, hold the United States government to the same standards as a terrorist organization.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

If you don't support using terrorist methods to stop terrorists from using terrorist methods, you are a terrorist.

Edit: Including using terrorist tactics on people who are not technically terrorists.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Isn't it okay to be outraged by both? We try to do the right thing and avoid killing innocent people and compromising the moral high ground though, which is what makes the torture outrageous, but it's a comparative outrage.

Obviously the actual murder of innocent people is more outrageous.

Oh wait, we do that? Well, bragging about it is more outrageous obviously.

Oh certain elements within the US brag about that too. :negative:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sometimes I wonder why the CIA bothers hiding this information. There's clearly a vocal segment of the US public that's enthusiastically in favor of torturing people on the flimsiest pretenses, it's not like we're morally opposed to it as a nation.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Kellsterik posted:

Sometimes I wonder why the CIA bothers hiding this information. There's clearly a vocal segment of the US public that's enthusiastically in favor of torturing people on the flimsiest pretenses, it's not like we're morally opposed to it as a nation.

I can't speak for this case specifically, but I know there's an exemption for declassification that's literally "our allies might get mad at us if they had proof we did this".

EDIT: Or at least there was when I was working on a program that had to handle classification headers on field activity logs in '02.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I can't speak for this case specifically, but I know there's an exemption for declassification that's literally "our allies might get mad at us if they had proof we did this".

EDIT: Or at least there was when I was working on a program that had to handle classification headers on field activity logs in '02.

Britain is currently refusing to acknowledge its black site use and ER compliance, despite them being well known matters of record, on the open basis that "It'll upset America."

There was a cab driver from Brum that spent time in gitmo because he unknowingly gave a lift to the wrong person. I think he was waterboarded? He tried to sue the government and the judge ruled that the torture definitely took place and Britain definitely was involved in his illegal rendition and detention, but that he would not allow damages or require any admission of guilt on the basis of "damaging our security relationship with America" or something very similar.

It's almost like every single intelligence service is a bunch of over-funded worthless psychopaths who are chatting delusional bollocks, or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Britain is currently refusing to acknowledge its black site use and ER compliance, despite them being well known matters of record, on the open basis that "It'll upset America."

There was a cab driver from Brum that spent time in gitmo because he unknowingly gave a lift to the wrong person. I think he was waterboarded? He tried to sue the government and the judge ruled that the torture definitely took place and Britain definitely was involved in his illegal rendition and detention, but that he would not allow damages or require any admission of guilt on the basis of "damaging our security relationship with America" or something very similar.

It's almost like every single intelligence service is a bunch of over-funded worthless psychopaths who are chatting delusional bollocks, or something.

Or that the Government as a whole has discovered a really easy way of getting out of facing up to its responsibilities, both moral and financial. I'd almost prefer the "Intelligence agencies as pantomime villain" option but deep down I know it's literally some civil servant here has just got a pat on the head for saving HMG a couple of million quid in compensation deals.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or that the Government as a whole has discovered a really easy way of getting out of facing up to its responsibilities, both moral and financial. I'd almost prefer the "Intelligence agencies as pantomime villain" option but deep down I know it's literally some civil servant here has just got a pat on the head for saving HMG a couple of million quid in compensation deals.

I don't think they're pantomine villains, I think they're utterly inept and attempting to constantly cover their own tracks. Even Thatcher thought mi5 were full of poo poo (and she knew they had never done anything useful).

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Torture all Irishmen who might have IRA sympathies.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Spangly A posted:

I don't think they're pantomine villains, I think they're utterly inept and attempting to constantly cover their own tracks. Even Thatcher thought mi5 were full of poo poo (and she knew they had never done anything useful).

The Thick of It spinoff about the wacky going-ons of Mi5 back in the 80s.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone else follow comment sections as often as I do? Every article I feel is discussing something that can be construed as "social justice", I jump right to the comments first and I am never surprised to find a bunch of people complaining about how the topic is handled poorly or how the writers/publication in question need to stop pushing a "SJW-agenda". That term (SJW) gets thrown around a lot, to the point where its lost all meaning, and there seems to be a really massive pushback against anything talking about inequality/privilege/racism/sexism/you name it.

Around when did this start happening? When did it become uncool to talk about inequality? Were people initially against these concepts quiet until a larger voice started speaking out against them? The pushback seems to be against some invisible, completely ineffective, yet insanely powerful "TUMBLR" crowd that I'm sure most people have never even interacted with (outside of image macros and select comments), considering the strawman TUMBLR feminist is just that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"SJW" was originally used to distinguish between people actually advocating social justice issues, and the rabid tumblr subcultures that will tell Indian people that they can't wear hindu clothes because their skin is too light or tear you apart for claiming that "bunny" isn't a gender. It didn't take very long for the MRA crowds to lump feminism in the latter category, nor homophobes with gay acceptance, transphobes with trans acceptance, etc. So it sprung up not long after the crazy tumblr people became common knowledge, is my guess.

Spangly A posted:

Do you have a good source on this? I'd love to toss this in the face of anyone who thinks torture can be even remotely justified.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Around when did this start happening? When did it become uncool to talk about inequality? Were people initially against these concepts quiet until a larger voice started speaking out against them? The pushback seems to be against some invisible, completely ineffective, yet insanely powerful "TUMBLR" crowd that I'm sure most people have never even interacted with (outside of image macros and select comments), considering the strawman TUMBLR feminist is just that.

Furries existed, 4chan decided to troll them on their newest home site (tumblr) with a profile with such lines as "19 Genderless Physically Caucasian Transn*er. ( yes I can say this because I am not white mentally)" and " what is a post limit and how do I stop it from oppressing me" in the vein of otherkin posts and titp. Then other Channing tantrumers used it as a "look guys they're really nuts feminism is bad k" and idiots rolled with it because of course the stupid name and hatred of minority groups was always there, it just needed an excuse.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 12, 2020

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want to point out that talking about inequality has almost always been considered uncool in the mainstream. There have been a handful of times when there were pivotal enough events that you could actually bridge this topic in the mainstream, but the vast majority of the time its an unpopular subject no one wants to talk about. No one wants to hear about how their country is lovely to its most vulnerable members, or how children and families suffer under a grinding boot of oppression, whatever form it takes.

In pretty much any movement on inequality, conservatives (and by this I mean people content with the status quo, not purely the republican/political right wing) are happy to try and paper over activism by papering it over with the most ridiculous or dismissable portrayal they can muster.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ashcans posted:

I want to point out that talking about inequality has almost always been considered uncool in the mainstream. There have been a handful of times when there were pivotal enough events that you could actually bridge this topic in the mainstream, but the vast majority of the time its an unpopular subject no one wants to talk about. No one wants to hear about how their country is lovely to its most vulnerable members, or how children and families suffer under a grinding boot of oppression, whatever form it takes.

In pretty much any movement on inequality, conservatives (and by this I mean people content with the status quo, not purely the republican/political right wing) are happy to try and paper over activism by papering it over with the most ridiculous or dismissable portrayal they can muster.

http://m.theweek.com/article/index/247790/12-cruel-anti-suffragette-cartoons

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
This is all the same guy, an old fraternity brother of mine.

after all the times he's posted "If you don't like X about your job just get a new one" I want to tell him that if he doesn't like paying his insurance premium just quit that job and find one with an employer that pays 100% of the premium.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

Does anyone else follow comment sections as often as I do? Every article I feel is discussing something that can be construed as "social justice", I jump right to the comments first and I am never surprised to find a bunch of people complaining about how the topic is handled poorly or how the writers/publication in question need to stop pushing a "SJW-agenda". That term (SJW) gets thrown around a lot, to the point where its lost all meaning, and there seems to be a really massive pushback against anything talking about inequality/privilege/racism/sexism/you name it.

America is a country of wanna-be warrior man-children desperately searching for their war

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I sometimes wonder if things were more civilized when we could ship useless young men off to die bloodily on some foreign battlefield.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think this guy knows what a high deductible is.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Kajeesus posted:

"SJW" was originally used to distinguish between people actually advocating social justice issues, and the rabid tumblr subcultures that will tell Indian people that they can't wear hindu clothes because their skin is too light or tear you apart for claiming that "bunny" isn't a gender. It didn't take very long for the MRA crowds to lump feminism in the latter category, nor homophobes with gay acceptance, transphobes with trans acceptance, etc. So it sprung up not long after the crazy tumblr people became common knowledge, is my guess.

I don't know that I've ever seen it used that way.

First time I ever encountered it was it being used against me for deigning to talk positively about feminism on the internet.

When asked people always claim they're talking about folks who are appropriating SJ language for attention on Tumblr, but the term always seems to come up when folks are being upset about entirely reasonable things.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Scruff McGruff posted:

Wait, but if the liberals can't see racism against white people, why did they found the KKK then? :confused: If racism against whites were such a problem, why isn't he singing their praises and joining them?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Verisimilidude posted:

You're posting in a thread whose sole purpose is to intentionally make yourself angry. Does it really surprise you other people do the same thing?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Do you have a good source on this? I'd love to toss this in the face of anyone who thinks torture can be even remotely justified.

I do! (loving hell so many edits)

Here!

e; This link isn't very good, for some reason it doesn't mention that he didn't do it, nor the relationship thing. I'll check in a bit to make sure I've got the right person but I'm off out shortly.

ee; that's because I got the wrong person. I can't keep track of all these torture fuckup legal actions. It is now fixed.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My personal favorite stuff to see is the retrograde morality poo poo aimed at women, trying to help them be better Christian wives or whatever.

It always boils down to "be a submissive domestic fuckdoll, and be grateful for the chance." Some examples through that link. There's like three separate articles along those lines on that site alone, and they're all getting passed around a ton lately among people I know.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Emron posted:

My personal favorite stuff to see is the retrograde morality poo poo aimed at women, trying to help them be better Christian wives or whatever.

It always boils down to "be a submissive domestic fuckdoll, and be grateful for the chance." Some examples through that link. There's like three separate articles along those lines on that site alone, and they're all getting passed around a ton lately among people I know.

Yeah, she tries to spin it (poorly) that it's a mutual thing between both spouses but every time it's her conceding to the demands of her husband. No doubt the list for a man would be:

1. Breadwinner
2. Stoic emotional rock to tame the weaker female sex

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah

Emron posted:

Ahaha I like number 4. Make sure to be super hot. Always, Even after kids and everything else. Remain sexually attractive.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Scruff McGruff posted:

after all the times he's posted "If you don't like X about your job just get a new one" I want to tell him that if he doesn't like paying his insurance premium just quit that job and find one with an employer that pays 100% of the premium.

Ask if he is familiar with the axiom "If you're reading it, it's for you."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Emron posted:

Don't kinkshame.

I remember long ago on some IRC channel we were reading a website where submissive Christian women were talking about how they were bad and their husband was forced to punish them with such poorly disguised glee, that it is clear that it was a dom-sub, sado-maso relationship. I wonder if there are Christian-friendly BDSM club trying to encourage such couples to be safer about it?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Well DUH, otherwise as a wife you are useless if you're not pretty!

Every time one of the rear end in a top hat conservatives on my Facebook feed posts up images of beheaded white people "THIS IS WHY WE TORTURE, LIBERALS!" poo poo, I wish I had some gif making skill to pull together a Ramsey Snow little animation of when he's torturing Theon. "So which body part do you need the least? .....please is not a body part." "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Oh who am I kidding, lots of people jerk it to those scenes in Game of Thrones.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every time one of the rear end in a top hat conservatives on my Facebook feed posts up images of beheaded white people "THIS IS WHY WE TORTURE, LIBERALS!" poo poo, I wish I had some gif making skill to pull together a Ramsey Snow little animation of when he's torturing Theon. "So which body part do you need the least? .....please is not a body part." "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Just flip it on them and post the torture report and say "THIS IS WHY WE BEHEAD, AMERICANS!"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm picturing Scalia or Allen West telling all their friends abou the sexy scenes in Game of Thrones, only to find out they were talking about the scene with the Tickler and the rat bucket.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh loving Christ!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
But the right to bear arms must not be infringed! Why do they hate the second amendment?

Farrok
May 29, 2006

Holy crap, LL101 has quite the provenance. Can't wait to see what they use in 100 years for a "Look at how backwards people were in the early 2000s" listicle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Farrok posted:

Holy crap, LL101 has quite the provenance. Can't wait to see what they use in 100 years for a "Look at how backwards people were in the early 2000s" listicle.

A little place called Something Awful Dot Com. :tbear:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chimera-gui posted:

Oh loving Christ!

Fixed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

But the right to bear arms must not be infringed! Why do they hate the second amendment?

What was I supposed to do, vote for McCain? He can't even lift his arms.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't kinkshame.

I remember long ago on some IRC channel we were reading a website where submissive Christian women were talking about how they were bad and their husband was forced to punish them with such poorly disguised glee, that it is clear that it was a dom-sub, sado-maso relationship. I wonder if there are Christian-friendly BDSM club trying to encourage such couples to be safer about it?

The thing about that is that, among the sort of sects that talk a lot about sex, they might encourage a relationship with a dominant husband and a submissive wife, but never the other way around. If they heard about a wife tying up or whipping her husband, they'd consider that deviant and against God-given gender roles. The principle at issue is not healthy sexuality but strict gender roles above all else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't kinkshame.

I think the whole point of it is more to cover up rampant domestic abuse and wrap it in a nice, cuddly, God's Law wrapper.