Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? That man is 7 billionth tier, the corpse of Osama bin Laden would be a better VP pick than him.

Sternness toward blacks is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BristolSOF posted:

That along with Gov. Susana Martinez getting picked by a moderate Republican... wouldn't that force Hillary to a pick a Hispanic candidate?

It really depends upon which moderate Republican is picked and how well they do amongst hispanics. If the situation calls for a populist hispanic over a milquetoast hispanic, I think Hillary would go for Gutierrez. GOP pick of a moderate, hispanic woman could force Hillary to choose a non-hispanic in order to shore up the non-hispanic vote.

SedanChair posted:

Sternness toward blacks is a plus.

Yeah, it is when you're losing among whites, black turnout is projected to be abyssmal, and hispanics begin disobedience campaigns or dissent against your candidacy. Social unrest could play a large role in the 2016 campaigns, depending upon how things develop.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Social unrest could play a large role in the 2016 campaigns, depending upon how things develop.

Do not fear MIGF, your banker cop masters are safe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Do not fear MIGF, your banker cop masters are safe.

I fear for Democratic turnout in 2016. Hammering from blacks for not doing enough, hammering from latinos for doing too much for others, hammering from whites for doing too much while not doing enough.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why, are you a democrat or something? what the gently caress for

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So to be clear, your argument here is that if the Republicans put a Hispanic person on the ticket, Hillary should choose a white VP so she can pick up votes from people who won't pull the lever for a person of color.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

So to be clear, your argument here is that if the Republicans put a Hispanic person on the ticket, Hillary should choose a white VP so she can pick up votes from people who won't pull the lever for a person of color.

If the Republicans go with a moderate enough ticket willing to enact and campaign on some immigration reform, Clinton may attempt to capture the racist vote, yes.

SedanChair posted:

Ain't no party like the Democratic party 'cause we been partying since 1792/1828 so get with the party or gently caress off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, unless the situation calls for a white male and Webb is found with a live boy or dead girl, Dean goes Munch, and Emanuel can't be used, in which case Nixon is the last one left alive.

I can't see it happening. Nixon is too tied up with the Ferguson unrest, he would only slightly gain votes among old whites and cost millions of votes from African-Americans and young whites. He is the last Democrat you'd want on the ticket. He'd reinforce the narrative that young people shouldn't bother voting and basically be a worst-case scenario. I think the only situation Hillary would pick Jay Nixon is if the 15th Amendment somehow got revoked.

SedanChair posted:

He's the kind of democrat that's actually in charge of the Democratic Party.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Upon a canine's posterior the sun hath shone.

Castro's the handicappers' favorite but let's throw a wild card in the mix: Anthony Foxx. He's gonna be looking for a new gig after his current job's over, he's definitely not running for governor since that's already been spoken for, and probably won't be going for Richard Burr's seat in the senate.

Black guy, from the south and a battleground state, has ties to Obama to keep his fanbase excited. And most importantly totally in the pocket of industry.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 11, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

I can see the argument. If only one ticket is all-white in this election, that ticket will pick up a ton of votes because of it.

And I think it would be suicide for Hillary to pick a black running mate (if one were available). It's Latino or white. Black people are getting left out of this election.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 3, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

I can see the argument. If only one ticket is all-white in this election, that ticket will pick up a ton of votes because of it.

And I think it would be suicide for Hillary to pick a black running mate (if one were available). It's Latino or white. Black people are getting left out of this election.

You're right on this SedanChair. You're correct.

You know the time between the first black congressmen elected and the second? Yeah, gonna take as long for a black man to get back to executive power in a non-token manner.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're right on this SedanChair. You're correct.

You know the time between the first black congressmen elected and the second? Yeah, gonna take as long for a black man to get back to executive power in a non-token manner.

You're right that black people will get left out of this election, but it's not an election for Democrats to court the racist vote. That strategy wouldn't work, because whites for whom that's a big issue won't be voting for Hillary in 2016 no matter who she picks. The racists on the right and the social justice people on the left aren't going to flip parties in 2016, they'll look at the candidates and decide whether or not to stay home. It's up to each party to turn out that segment of their base, not to capture the segment from the other party.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Depends on the level of cynicism at play on a range between Mister Rogers and Henry Kissinger. Blacks turn out at a far higher rate than Hispanics, and there's enough of them in a few close states that if it becomes a choice between who to pander to with a token pick, I'd put money on black.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

Depends on the level of cynicism at play on a range between Mister Rogers and Henry Kissinger. Blacks turn out at a far higher rate than Hispanics, and there's enough of them in a few close states that if it becomes a choice between who to pander to with a token pick, I'd put money on black.

That's assuming blacks will turn out in 2015. Given the recent issues, and the probability of another police-induced death being caught on camera between now and the start of supertuesday's media cycle, black turnout isn't something which can be taken for granted.

Chamale posted:

You're right that black people will get left out of this election, but it's not an election for Democrats to court the racist vote. That strategy wouldn't work, because whites for whom that's a big issue won't be voting for Hillary in 2016 no matter who she picks. The racists on the right and the social justice people on the left aren't going to flip parties in 2016, they'll look at the candidates and decide whether or not to stay home. It's up to each party to turn out that segment of their base, not to capture the segment from the other party.

Part of the narrative you build is to convince those sorts of folk to not vote for your oppo. Social Justice ain't gonna rock the vote in 15/16, so no need to appease them. Racists? Theys on the fence over turning out to vote.

E:

Huge gently caress'n complicating factor which is going unaddressed: raising contribution limits.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 11, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Oh we're not talking about people who know they're racist. They'll just manage not to show up to vote for a black person ever again.

comes along bort posted:

Dem bosses will see every black gained as two whites lost.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
watch bush start a loving war 2

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Dem bosses will see every black gained as two whites lost.

The reliable white dem voters who'd stay home or vote for the other guy if a black was on the ticket are either dead, living in states that don't matter, or had already been voting for republican nominees for a couple decades anyway.

e: Obama in 2012 is probably the floor for the white vote overall for a good while and he still got over 300 EV.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 11, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

The reliable white dem voters who'd stay home or vote for the other guy if a black was on the ticket are either dead, living in states that don't matter, or had already been voting for republican nominees for a couple decades anyway.

Obama has two more years to cement the association of the words "black" and "failure" in the white public mind. Racism will be open and bipartisan by 2016.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Obama has two more years to cement the association of the words "black" and "failure" in the white public mind. Racism will be open and bipartisan by 2016.

Dukakis got more of the white vote than Obama last time. Like I said, the floor's been set, and I seriously doubt Hillary will pull in Mondale numbers among whitey, and that's what it's gonna take at minimum for a Republican to win the presidency.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chantilly Say posted:

Don't bother paying attention to the "it needs to be this race and gender" people. Thats not how vice presidents have been chosen in the past (aside from Palin and Ferrarra who were both gimmick picks designed to save sinking campaigns) and I see no reason for that to change this cycle. If you want to know who Hillary is going to pick you should look for the following things. The person is not hated (or hatable) by most Americans, is not ridden with scandals, can give a decent (or at least not bad) speech, has policy views which line up with the nominee's and is liked by the nominee. You can discount the "he needs to be from this state" people too because they haven't been chosen like that for decades.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, unless the situation calls for a white male and Webb is found with a live boy or dead girl, Dean goes Munch, and Emanuel can't be used, in which case Nixon is the last one left alive.

While you keep your friends close, you keep your enemies closer. Which party hosts their convention first in 2015?

You're not getting the nod Rahm, stop deluding yourself.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Also he has the added advantage of it being true when he says "I was not part of my brother's administration."

He's refused to badmouth his brother's presidency and that would be a significant liability in distancing himself from that trainwreck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

comes along bort posted:

Dukakis got more of the white vote than Obama last time. Like I said, the floor's been set, and I seriously doubt Hillary will pull in Mondale numbers among whitey, and that's what it's gonna take at minimum for a Republican to win the presidency.

The issue with talking about the 'white' vote is that it's not really monolithic. There's whites in the South, who vote Republican overwhelmingly, then there's whites everywhere else who are reasonably friendly to the Democrats. The Democrats can afford the Republicans running up the cracker vote in the South, it's the vote in the rest of the country that matters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

watch bush start a loving war 2 3

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Rick Perry: ‘Running for the presidency’s not an IQ test’

look at perry hedging against his smart people glasses

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gutierrez or Castro, depending upon what weakness in her narrative she needs to counter.

Gutierrez already spends most of his time in Puerto Rico or Miami (which is why he's always on Univision). I don't think he wants to interrupt his pre-retirement with all the bother of campaigning.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Rick Perry: ‘Running for the presidency’s not an IQ test’

look at perry hedging against his smart people glasses

I think that besides the hilarity that is Perry admitting publicly that he's an idiot is his use of scripture to justify ignoring the poor and needy. You're doing Christ's work on Earth Perry!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys are underestimating Jeb. He's no dumb dumb like his brother and as Florida governors go wasn't a spectacularly horrible governor in a pretty big swing state.

As far as sharing the name, it's a bit like a new Rocky, Alien, Jurassic Park or Terminator movie. No, no. This time it'll be really great! We have a new director!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys are underestimating Jeb. He's no dumb dumb like his brother and as Florida governors go wasn't a spectacularly horrible governor in a pretty big swing state.

On the other hand, he looks like a total dork

And Dubya is definitely the most politically skilled of the brothers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

On the other hand, he looks like a total dork

Just how much of your perception of the Bush family is based upon Lil' Bush?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Here are the issues I see campaigns building a narrative around for 2015/2016:

Public sell
Torture & global economy/security
Domestic civil rights and police accountability
Immigration reform: Too fast, or too slow?

Donor sell
Financial regulation & interest rates
Airline regulation
One-time reshoring tax exemption & reverse acquisition crackdown
Social Security fund management & privitization
Cuban normalization and re-integration

Pick two of the above for your public pillars and three of the below for fundraising. Identify which potential Veep picks signal what policy positions towards where on the above.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitt thinks Jeb is a weak candidate, and he's thinking about doing something about it.

quote:

For most of the past year, Mitt Romney supporters have publicly said he should consider running again. And for most of the past year, Romney has seemed uninterested.

Until recently.

While some people close to Romney insist he hasn’t moved from saying he has no plans to run, the 2012 Republican nominee has sounded at least open to the idea in recent conversations, according to more than a dozen people who’ve spoken with him in the last month.

:getin:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahahaha the power of delusion folks. Mitt can be the candidate forever, and Biden can be veep forever.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They're one of the most illustrious families in the history of public life. And since Dubya was the most successful politician in their line, I guess that has quite a bit to do with my perception. (?)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SedanChair posted:

They're one of the most illustrious families in the history of public life. And since Dubya was the most successful politician in their line, I guess that has quite a bit to do with my perception. (?)

Lil' Bush was a TV show.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Question: was Pappy Bush really obsessed with saltines, or was that an invention of the show?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It's been a long time since we've seen "Bush is a secret genius."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I will give sedanchair that dubya is smarter than common perception but he' still nowhere near the level he ascribes to Bush.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

As far as sharing the name, it's a bit like a new Rocky, Alien, Jurassic Park or Terminator movie. No, no. This time it'll be really great! We have a new director!

Mostly I wonder how rusty he'll be after ten years out of politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

It's been a long time since we've seen "Bush is a secret genius."

"Good at politics" != "Genius."

• Locked thread