Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I signed up for a free month of Amazon Prime to get some holiday items shipped quickly. Are there any Amazon exclusives I should marathon?

Hannibal, Justified, The Americans, possibly Orphan Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I signed up for a free month of Amazon Prime to get some holiday items shipped quickly. Are there any Amazon exclusives I should marathon?

Alpha House and Transparent. And th Good Wife.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Golden Globe nominations are out. Here's the TV stuff:

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television
Matt Bomer, The Normal Heart
Alan Cumming, The Good Wife
Colin Hanks, Fargo
Bill Murray, Olive Kitteridge
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy or Musical
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Gina Rodriguez, Jane the Virgin
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Taylor Schilling, Orange is the New Black

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television
Uzo Aduba, Orange is the New Black
Kathy Bates, American Horror Story: Freak Show
Joanne Froggatt, Downton Abbey
Allison Janney, Mom
Michelle Monaghan, True Detective

Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy
Girls (HBO)
Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
Transparent (Amazon)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Jane the Virgin (CW)

Best TV Movie or Mini-series
The Normal Heart (HBO)
True Detective (HBO)
Olive Kitteridge (HBO)
Fargo (FX)
The Missing (Starz)

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
THE AFFAIR SHOWTIME
DOWNTON ABBEY PBS
GAME OF THRONES HBO
THE GOOD WIFE CBS
HOUSE OF CARDS NETFLIX

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
CLAIRE DANES: HOMELAND
VIOLA DAVIS: HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER
JULIANNA MARGULIES: THE GOOD WIFE
RUTH WILSON: THE AFFAIR
ROBIN WRIGHT: HOUSE OF CARDS

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
CLIVE OWEN: THE KNICK
LIEV SCHREIBER: RAY DONOVAN
KEVIN SPACEY: HOUSE OF CARDS
JAMES SPADER : THE BLACKLIST
DOMINIC WEST: THE AFFAIR

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
LOUIS C. K.: LOUIE
DON CHEADLE: HOUSE OF LIES
RICKY GERVAIS: DEREK
WILLIAM H. MACY : SHAMELESS
JEFFREY TAMBOR: TRANSPARENT

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
MAGGIE GYLLENHAAL: THE HONORABLE WOMAN
JESSICA LANGE: AMERICAN HORROR STORY:FREAK SHOW
FRANCES MCDORMAND: OLIVE KITTERIDGE
FRANCES O’CONNOR: THE MISSING
ALLISON TOLMAN: FARGO

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
MARTIN FREEMAN: FARGO
WOODY HARRELSON: TRUE DETECTIVE
MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY : TRUE DETECTIVE
MARK RUFFALO: THE NORMAL HEART
BILLY BOB THORNTON: FARGO

edit: they are still trickling out nominations so this isn't the complete list yet that should be all of them

smg77 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 11, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And TV Execs are going to start cutting their wrists in earnest

quote:

Adults 35-49 and 50-59 have maintained or increased their cable subscriptions, but for the 18-35 set the number who subscribe to cable TV has dropped about 6%: from nearly 3/4 of the 25-34 set (73%) to closer to 2/3 (67%). Meanwhile subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu are all up — Netflix most dramatically so, with a 25% increase in subscribers since last year.
Meanwhile, if you accidentally (or intentionally) finished the entire run of your favorite series in a single weekend this year, you’re in good company: a solid half of the participants in the survey self-identified as binge-viewers. And binge-viewing is on the rise: 55% of respondents said they do it more often now than they did last year. Young adults are again more likely than their older peers to take in a big block of programming all at once. Though taking in three or more back-to-back episodes of a show is something most of us apparently do at least once a month, 53% of the 18-24 set reported doing it at least weekly or even daily.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aye Doc posted:

is Seinfeld on any streaming service?

just please tell me there is a way I can pay for this show that doesn't involve me fumbling around with 33 dvds

If your in Canada and have bell it is.

My favor part of this is TV Execs still haven't figured out how to make it work for the bottom line. All they had to do was make Hulu with that commercials and everyone would be happy, but they can't do that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

If your in Canada and have bell it is.

My favor part of this is TV Execs still haven't figured out how to make it work for the bottom line. All they had to do was make Hulu with that commercials and everyone would be happy, but they can't do that.

SHIELD came out on Netflix last month, and I watched the first season, and then went to the streaming sites to see if I could catch up with season 2. Nope. Hulu, ABC.com, TWC On Demand, all have that "last five episodes" poo poo. Guys, you know your show just went to the most popular streaming service, you know that people binging currently running shows come back and bump ratings, and I'm willing to watch your stupid ads on streaming if you just make them available. This is why piracy is a problem for you.

AV Club has wisely named Hannibal it's best show of the year for 2014.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 11, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, can they just give them all awards for the "Best Actor Miniseries/Movie" category?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't Jane the Virgin that show where the premise is some doctor rapes the titular character pregnant, and it's meant to be a comedy?

That's a lot of nominations for a really offputting idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

Isn't Jane the Virgin that show where the premise is some doctor rapes the titular character pregnant, and it's meant to be a comedy?

It's been getting crazy good reviews.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

There's no rape involved whatsoever. It's an accidental artificial insemination.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

There is no rape, mistaken artificial insemination. My girlfriends favorite show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

There is no rape, mistaken artificial insemination. My girlfriends favorite show.

Eh, when it started I read that it was intentional. That's still a pretty hosed premise for a show. Maybe it's just me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, but from what I've seen of it, it's pretty funny. The voice overs during the episodes are killer. Very much like a spanish soap opera.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Everything I've seen for the show has essentially said "Yeah, the premise is silly, but this show is really good, I swear!".

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'd say go watch the Pilot immediately and it all makes sense but only the last five episodes are available for streaming. :argh:

It's a great show that totally commits to the telenovela sensibility, I love it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't watched it either but I read a review that explained it in a way that made sense. Basically it was an accident by a doctor who is a friend of the family and the sperm was from another friend who had cancer and is now sterile. So it explains why they wouldn't sue and why she would want to keep the baby.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That's close (the Doctor is the sister of the sperm donor and they're not friends of the family), but I should mention that a lawsuit still happens.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

It's been getting crazy good reviews.

I tried watching an episode after seeing a couple people talk about it positively in this thread. I think I made it maybe 10 minutes.
My assessment: "it's pretty bad"

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

I'm not your girlfriend man, I'm just the op of the thread.

hcreight posted:

Everything I've seen for the show has essentially said "Yeah, the premise is silly, but this show is really good, I swear!".

It's very whimsical, but the directors absolutely know what they're doing and it's been consistently entertaining. I have no doubts that Gina Rodriguez will win best actress; either that or Jane the Virgin wins best comedy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

SHIELD came out on Netflix last month, and I watched the first season, and then went to the streaming sites to see if I could catch up with season 2. Nope. Hulu, ABC.com, TWC On Demand, all have that "last five episodes" poo poo. Guys, you know your show just went to the most popular streaming service, you know that people binging currently running shows come back and bump ratings, and I'm willing to watch your stupid ads on streaming if you just make them available. This is why piracy is a problem for you.

AV Club has wisely named Hannibal it's best show of the year for 2014.

Not only that but Netflix basically said Shield and the Blacklist where 7% of Netflix's traffic. I'm pretty sure the Blacklist's whole production budget is more then paid for by it's Netflix d deal. Why a network hasn't cut a production deal with them yet I don't know (I guess the CW is pretty close).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Not only that but Netflix basically said Shield and the Blacklist where 7% of Netflix's traffic. I'm pretty sure the Blacklist's whole production budget is more then paid for by it's Netflix d deal. Why a network hasn't cut a production deal with them yet I don't know (I guess the CW is pretty close).

Pedowitz basically all but said Netflix keeps CW going

quote:

It isn’t just in building a fan base that Netflix is beneficial to the CW. The streaming site provides the CW with hefty license fees for its series that help keep the network afloat. When asked if the CW could “survive” without Netflix, Pedowitz said yes, but hopes it won’t come to that.

“I believe we’ll survive in some form and capability, and if Netflix decides it doesn’t want to be associated with CBS, Warner Bros. and CW shows, I hope there is another platform,” he said.

The reason, I suspect, is that they aren't 100% sure that somehow some way opening up streaming access will bite them in the rear end. Combine that with institutional inertia and probably a little resentment at new players in the field and you have the retarded five episode policy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well and CW in particular has been growing pretty rapidly lately. Arrow, The 100, and Flash are all pretty ambitious shows to put out in a pretty short time..

Netflix is probably also a lot more lucrative at this point than DVDs were as an after-air revenue stream.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ravane posted:

I'm not your girlfriend man, I'm just the op of the thread.

It's very whimsical, but the directors absolutely know what they're doing and it's been consistently entertaining. I have no doubts that Gina Rodriguez will win best actress; either that or Jane the Virgin wins best comedy.

Neither will happen, jld is a lock for best actress and oitnb will probably win for comedy, if not them then transparent and if neither then girls, jane the virgin has an equal chance of winning to Silicon Valley which is virtually none

Ed: if I were being honest Silicon Valley has a better chance than jane just because one is an HBO show and one is a cw show and golden globes are all about prestige

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

Neither will happen, jld is a lock for best actress and oitnb will probably win for comedy, if not them then transparent and if neither then girls, jane the virgin has an equal chance of winning to Silicon Valley which is virtually none

The fact that Silicon Valley can't win is further proof that awards shows are worthless.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

The fact that Silicon Valley can't win is further proof that awards shows are worthless.

As I edited in earlier it has a BETTER chance of winning than jane but that's a 5% chance over a 0.01% chance so

Honestly if I have a GG vote is probably vote for transparent over SV because while I love SV and absolutely despise transparent the only real value awards shows have is largely as a cultural statement and I think it's important to embrace transparents aims over it's execution, which I think is fairly garbage all around

But yeah Gina Rodriguez has no chance of winning an individual golden globe. None. Zero

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

"My pet show won't win an award, these award shows are all a sham!" :qqsay:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JohnSherman posted:

"My pet show won't win an award, these award shows are all a sham!" :qqsay:

Pretend I did a LMGTFY of the word "further" because your response is too dumb to merit actually going to the effort of doing that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Pedowitz basically all but said Netflix keeps CW going

The reason, I suspect, is that they aren't 100% sure that somehow some way opening up streaming access will bite them in the rear end. Combine that with institutional inertia and probably a little resentment at new players in the field and you have the retarded five episode policy.

Huh. I wonder if The CW will end up being the first American network to cut a deal to have new episodes up on Netflix the day after (or even better) the day they air? Because that would be pretty awesome, I could move my TV antenna out of my bedroom and back into the living room where it belongs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the first episode of Jane the Virgin until I realised it was twice as long as I thought it was. Then I stopped watching because I don't wanna watch an hour of that every week

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Alert the media, Bown tried watching a CW show.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I don't watch the show, but it's kind of aces that CW had the only network show to crack the 'comedy' and 'actress in a comedy' nominee list. It's the Golden Globes, though; they really like awarding a random newcomer somehow every year (see: B99 winning comedy and actor last year).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if they did that though theyd go with oitnb and taylor schilling esp since the GGs have egg on their face from not recognizing it last year

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Toxxupation posted:

if they did that though theyd go with oitnb and taylor schilling esp since the GGs have egg on their face from not recognizing it last year

OINTB isn't actually a, you know, 'newcomer' to these categories. It'd be more likely for Transparent to be the 'random newcomer' win than any of the others, I think.

(And Viola Davis, but that probably wouldn't be all that surprising of a win.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

lelandjs posted:

Huh. I wonder if The CW will end up being the first American network to cut a deal to have new episodes up on Netflix the day after (or even better) the day they air? Because that would be pretty awesome, I could move my TV antenna out of my bedroom and back into the living room where it belongs.

That is how the 100 airs in Canada as well as a few other shows. Honestly if they where willing to keep the episode back for a month for like 500k (and more depending on viewership) a lot of networks would jump at it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

xeria posted:

OINTB isn't actually a, you know, 'newcomer' to these categories. It'd be more likely for Transparent to be the 'random newcomer' win than any of the others, I think.

OITNB is the bandwagon bet, but I sincerely doubt it'll win anything. It'll probably wind up being another ballot filler like Downtown Abbey or Nurse Jackie.

Transparent might get some kind of recognition from critics because everybody wants to wear that badge on their chest, but I don't think they're going to hand over the top award to a show shamelessly designed to win awards for, and to legitimize, Amazon.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Transparent might be award bait, but it was actually good, unlike most of Netflix's original series where they just try to shotgun every demographic and hope something sticks. OITNB is the closest Netflix has to semi-recognizable creatives behind it. I guess HoC has Fincher, but he's not actually in charge of anything creative there.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Transparent might get some kind of recognition from critics because everybody wants to wear that badge on their chest, but I don't think they're going to hand over the top award to a show shamelessly designed to win awards for, and to legitimize, Amazon.

The Hollywood Foreign Press has no dog in the traditional vs online TV service fight. They'll give awards to whatever best suits keeping their annual celebrity drunkfest going.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

They are though.
I feel like it's pretty well-established that HFPA is a garbage group and the GGs are a fun watch and little else. It's weird to see anyone giving a poo poo about what they nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I feel like it's pretty well-established that HFPA is a garbage group and the GGs are a fun watch and little else. It's weird to see anyone giving a poo poo about what they nominated.

The only reason to care about awards is that they matter to the public and to executives and if a show is on the bubble awards can save it. Awards can mean more people watching and you want people watching shows you like. I don't think awards are a measure of the quality of a show or the loyalty of a fanbase, but in the business of television, they do matter.

• Locked thread