Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

For me? It's not terrible but it could be better.

I mean it sucks to have to pass the man I'm marrying off as my roommate, but things are already a lot better than they were when I was in high school so :shrug:

In general you need to have thick skin and pick your battle to survive. I think that LGBT groups at universities aren't helping kids by ignoring that reality. Instead you have adults who should know better fawning over kids (and I'm using that word intentionally) exploring their identities without giving them the skills they need to survive a job interview after they graduate. It's irresponsible and I've always been vocal about that. I've had horrible things said to my face and behind my back because of this but I also get Facebook messages from folks saying I'm their gay role model.

That really sucks. Sorry you have to go through that. (But congrats on the wedding) I remember a rugby teammate of mine was a teacher and her kids were coming to our game so they could learn about the sport (the school was starting a team)...we all got briefed on how to make sure her wife was "her roomate" for the next 24 hours. Which was dumb because her wife was a very prominent figure in the LGBT community so if you weren't a moron, you'd know "roomate" was unlikely. But people are dumb, I guess. But your realistic approach is really admirable. The problem with a lot of people in some circles is that they are very sheltered and don't understand the difference between seeing the world as it should be, and how to survive in the world as it actually is. Ideally you should be preparing people to make the changes they can, while still functioning in the society as it exists now.

Had a similar conversation with a friend over the impact her excessive tattoos were having on her employment prospects. "they should just accept me for who I am!" "Yes. They should. But since they probably won't, you can not get hired and become a symbol of injustice, or you can wear a loving turtleneck to your interview."

Not saying that tattoo discrimination is even remotely on the same level as homophobia, but the mindset seems to be similar to the one you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
No it's comparable from the "you need to play the hand you're dealt" perspective.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Its equivalent in concept.

Both are archaic prejudices that have literally no bearing what so ever on an individual's education/abilities/qualifications for a position.

Its hilariously not in the same league when you look at it from real world comparison. One is judging someone for tattoos, the other for their sexuality. But we are all adults here and can accept/understand it. Its when the moral outrage brigade read it that they will lose their collective poo poo.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Genocide Tendency posted:

Its equivalent in concept.

Both are archaic prejudices that have literally no bearing what so ever on an individual's education/abilities/qualifications for a position.

Its hilariously not in the same league when you look at it from real world comparison. One is judging someone for tattoos, the other for their sexuality. But we are all adults here and can accept/understand it. Its when the moral outrage brigade read it that they will lose their collective poo poo.

All of them. Every single one of them.

I think you will have some screaming ALL DISCRIMINATION IS WRONG SO DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MY TATTOOS IS JUST AS BAD AS SYSTEMIC BIGOTRY AGAINST GAYS

and you will have others responding WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, gently caress YOUR TATTOO.

and that rift will open a hole in the sky from which demons will fall.

Jesus, I spent way too much time on Dragon Age this month.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

RichieHimself posted:

You maniacs! You blew it up!

Godadamn ISIS, now where will I direct my descendants to make their deposits when they're fighting in Iraq War III and IV?

One time I spent 3 days making GBS threads in the corner of a rooftop in Mosul while on a hide site mission. And when we exfil'd, I just left it there. Many other times I have had to take dumps on the side of the road.

Haji ain't the only one who can plant IEDs!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
At work, we won;t hire anyone as an investigator if they have tattoos that can be seen when they wear a 2 piece suit. Receptionists we don't care so much about because it's not seen as someone you need to emphatically trust or project any authority, but someone asking you questions on behalf of the insurance company or hiring authority should probably have some of that Joe Friday vibe to them when they need to.

But we don't give a poo poo about where anyone stuffs their genitals though so long as it isn't in minors or animals.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obama Africanus posted:

Well back when Paul Tibbets was going by the name "Dimples" on Radio Free Hiroshima, a Japanese nominal was sixteen thousand tons of somewhat radioactive tri-nitro-glycerin equivalency explosive force, plus or minus two thousand tons.

Lets never forget to remember that we once had to nuke these things to keep them on their island, and to keep them from wiping out the entire human race.

I, for one, will never be excited for advances in any Japanese rocket anything. I'd rather see the Ho Chi Min Space Port launching SSTO space tourists and nano-sats / suborbital anti personnel mines and bomblets on Cambodia, Laos, and China regularly instead of Japanase space based anything.

Just not a big fan of Japan, that's all.

:patriot:

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

The Rat posted:

One time I spent 3 days making GBS threads in the corner of a rooftop in Mosul while on a hide site mission. And when we exfil'd, I just left it there. Many other times I have had to take dumps on the side of the road.

Haji ain't the only one who can plant IEDs!

Thank you for your service. :911:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Congratulations to EBB for finally giving the Veterans thread a post that is now mandatory in every OP.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Volunteer Boy: That doesn't look very scary. More like a six-foot hambeast.

Dr. Alan Grant: A hambeast, huh? OK, try to imagine yourself in Berkeley. You get your first look at this "six foot hambeast" as you enter a clearing. Xe moves like an elephant, lumbering, wheezing, mopping xer head. And you keep still because you think that maybe xis visual acuity is based on movement like cishets - Xe'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Polysexor. You stare at xer, and xe just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side,

[makes 'whoshing' sound]

Dr. Alan Grant: from the other two polysexers you didn't even know were there. Because polysexer's a pack hunter, you see, xe uses coordinated attack patterns and xe is out in force today. And xe assaults your common sense with this...
[he produces a smartphone from his pocket]

Dr. Alan Grant: A blog of "indefatigable arguments" and illogical hate, like nails on a chalkboard, in xer sweaty paw. Xe doesn't bother to debate you like a civilized person, say... no no. Xe shrieks at you here, or here...

[he lightly tongues the boy's ear, and twists his natural sexual organs]

Dr. Ellie Sattler: Oh, Alan...

Dr. Alan Grant: Or maybe you fight back and the group starts screaming rape as a trump card. The point is, you are alive when they doxx you, you lose your job, and the police finally come. So you know, try to show a little respect.

Volunteer Boy: OK.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Booblord Zagats posted:

even though I'm straight.

It gets better

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

It gets better

I mean we're all a little gay. Any man who says he wouldn't blow Freddy Mercury, pre-AIDS is probably just lying

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hope Freddy likes teeth.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Gets your teeth bright, not just white.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's with all the 'xe' and 'xir' poo poo?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

nwin posted:

What's with all the 'xe' and 'xir' poo poo?

Not everyone falls in to your standard two genders you loving philistine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I mean we're all a little gay. Any man who says he wouldn't blow Freddy Mercury, pre-AIDS is probably just lying

Giving a blowjob, sure. But I wouldn't want my dick anywhere near those chompers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Anyone have one of the new Kindle Fire HD e-readers? My kindle just died an untimely death and I don't want to venture into any of the IYG threads to ask about it.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Books don't die.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

zombie303 posted:

Books don't die.

you don't have a 2 year old, i take it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have the Kindle paperwhite. Really good stuff.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

zombie303 posted:

Books don't die.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Anyone have one of the new Kindle Fire HD e-readers? My kindle just died an untimely death and I don't want to venture into any of the IYG threads to ask about it.

if you can wait a bit, I can tell you.

Apparently that's my Christmas gift.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

if you can wait a bit, I can tell you.

Apparently that's my Christmas gift.

yeah, it's mine too. my wife isn't the most tech savvy so she's asking me to grab what I want and she'll just wrap it up for xmas morning which is cool

im probably going to grab it anyways because I just want to read books in my recliner and be an old man

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

yeah, it's mine too. my wife isn't the most tech savvy so she's asking me to grab what I want and she'll just wrap it up for xmas morning which is cool

im probably going to grab it anyways because I just want to read books in my recliner and be an old man

If it's just books you want you'd be better off w/ a paperwhite imo

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

MancXVI posted:

If it's just books you want you'd be better off w/ a paperwhite imo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, the Fire is a tablet, not specifically an e-reader.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Seriously. Get the paperwhite for reading.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The Paperwhite is pretty fantastic, and by all accounts so is the Voyage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It's the same price for both of them at this point, so I may just go for the Fire HD just to have something else on me for when the kids are bored outta their minds in the car or whatever so I don't have to give em my phone for them to play angry birds and poo poo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's the same price for both of them at this point, so I may just go for the Fire HD just to have something else on me for when the kids are bored outta their minds in the car or whatever so I don't have to give em my phone for them to play angry birds and poo poo.

We have two fires for the kids to use and they are lifesavers, they are both older, so i can speak for how the new ones are, but the older ones sick for reading books. Magazines and comics are a different story though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, comics are the other reason why I'm really considering it. There's a bunch of .cbz readers available on there which would be cool to have. I'm prolly just going to grab the 7" Fire HD and call it a day.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Alright, so Columbia has what they call "Orgo night" twice a year. Right before the organic chemistry final, the marching band goes into the library (where everyone and their brother studies) and plays marching music and tells jokes and does dumb skits or whatever. I haven't been to one yet, but supposedly they are somewhat funny but full of off-color jokes. Whatever. As part of the white racist cissexual heteronormative kyriarchy, this poo poo doesn't affect me.

Apparently some tumblrite students are super pissed about it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

Alright, so Columbia has what they call "Orgo night" twice a year. Right before the organic chemistry final, the marching band goes into the library (where everyone and their brother studies) and plays marching music and tells jokes and does dumb skits or whatever. I haven't been to one yet, but supposedly they are somewhat funny but full of off-color jokes. Whatever. As part of the white racist cissexual heteronormative kyriarchy, this poo poo doesn't affect me.

Apparently some tumblrite students are super pissed about it

quote:

This is not about Zionism-this is not about you and your self-centred, egomaniac, Likud/IDF/Apartheid-anti-Arab-Racist-state/GazaChildrenKillingMachine/WestBankOccupier funded propaganda yet I still don't agree that Orgo night should be called off.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It comforts me that one day NYC will be incinerated shortly before me.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The school is pretty cool in general but the students looooooooove protesting.

The "Students for Justice in Palestine" recently hijacked a protest against campus rape by shouting "FREE PALESTINE" for whatever reason.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It is my hope these social justice groups all meet for a gnarly brawl like in Anchorman.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

It is my hope these social justice groups all meet for a gnarly brawl like in Anchorman 2.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

quote:

WELCOME TO TUMBLDOME!!!!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bust a deal, face the wheel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

It is my hope these social justice groups all meet for a gnarly brawl like in Operation Barbarossa.

• Locked thread