Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Does Let's Drown Out count for this thread? I sometimes enjoy LDO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

The latest Bonfire Side Chat on the Crown of the Sunken King is an absolute masterpiece. Gary is just on fire throughout.

Thanks for doing these, guys.

Aw, geeze (blushing emoticon). Thank you for listening!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The DLC episodes of Bonfireside Chat are two of my favorites thus far (almost done with Iron King now) which makes sense since those are the best areas of the main game!

Have you guys made an announcement yet on what you will do to bridge the gap between Souls 2 and Bloodborne? (as I mentioned I haven't finished the Iron King ep yet in case you say it at the end).

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The DLC episodes of Bonfireside Chat are two of my favorites thus far (almost done with Iron King now) which makes sense since those are the best areas of the main game!

Have you guys made an announcement yet on what you will do to bridge the gap between Souls 2 and Bloodborne? (as I mentioned I haven't finished the Iron King ep yet in case you say it at the end).

Announcement in the next episode!

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Little late to the chat, but I also have a Mechanical Keyboard, so editing Comrade! is often times a hilarious game of "find the clicks". Luckily we like our light discussion format so besides keyboards and other noise, editing is quick.

On a related note, I've got a new mic (thanks in part to Patreon backers!), so I'll no longer sound godawful compared to Gary.

I really should play the drat DS2 DLC. Sigh.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Is it just me, or does the audio quality go to poo poo in Thumbs 188 at about 34:30 into the cast?

Everything is fine up to that point, then suddenly Patrick is clipping like crazy, Jake sounds like he's in another room, and Danielle gets all echo-y.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

Announcement in the next episode!

Fingers crossed for Lords of the Fallen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

It is not a bad game, but there is really nothing there worth talking about to fill a whole episode. And whatever story it tries to tell is completely laughable.

Go back to the first King's Field games :getin:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pasco posted:

Is it just me, or does the audio quality go to poo poo in Thumbs 188 at about 34:30 into the cast?
I didn't notice, at least. Also man Scoops is such a good guest, god drat.

And speaking of good things, just wanted to say that I dug the Retronauts Micro. I like the, I dunno, NPR-ness of it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pasco posted:

Everything is fine up to that point, then suddenly Patrick is clipping like crazy, Jake sounds like he's in another room, and Danielle gets all echo-y.
I noticed it at a couple points, but it seemed to get better after a minute or two.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

I noticed it at a couple points, but it seemed to get better after a minute or two.

Nothing compares to that one episode where the PC behind Jake (I think it was Jake) started blaring raw data noise at him out of nowhere through the speakers and scared the poo poo out of everyone.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ha yeah that was nick that freaked out. Patrick is a top quality guest it seems like years since I last heard from him.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Danielle brought up how she's basically played FC4 through osmosis and I'd say it counts. Last year some time Iwas attempting to make a list of every game I had ever played and found myself wanting to put things like Persona 4 on there because I watched the entire GB endurance run. It's a grey area.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It is not a bad game, but there is really nothing there worth talking about to fill a whole episode. And whatever story it tries to tell is completely laughable.

I kind of like when the guys laugh at things so this would be excellent for me. There's plenty to discuss I think, the discussion just isn't likely to be as positive as that about the real Souls games.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sirlin's podcast was brought up a month or two back, and I've listened to most of them. Outside of the semi-smarmy tone and glacial pacing of making arguments, it's pretty drat good. I just listened to episode 3 and it was talking about level playing fields in competitive games and some of the misconceptions about what "pay 2 win" is. The later half is composed of the hosts dunking on League of Legends and Hearthstone.

My coworker played a bunch of Dota2 and has gone both feet into League, and while I knew that League loving sucked, just hearing about the ridiculous time sink mechanics was horrifying. I play Hearthstone, so all of their arguments about how/why it's bad were 100% spot on. It's kind of surprising how many people don't want a level playing field when it comes to competitive games and all of the bullshit arguments they use to try to justify it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Sorry about the spike in thumbs audio quality for a minute there. Patrick started getting really loud but then instead of turning him down I turned him up. I caught it a minute later but there was some clipping I couldn't fix in the mix.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
No one turns down Patrick Klepek.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The long-awaited first part of the Watch Out for Fireballs! Morrowind trilogy is out. We cover the main quest this week. Next week is the main guilds (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Assassin). The week after that is the Great House quests along with the remaining organizations (Temple, Cult, Legion) and misc quests.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/88

After Morrowind we're picking up 2015 with Rock Band. We can't announce the game after that, though, since it's being determined by our Patreon backers. The options are ActRaiser, Bastion, Brave Fencer Musashi, or Secret of Mana. If you're a backer and you'd like to vote, here's the link: http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1319448&rf=84454

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Song For The Deaf posted:

After Morrowind we're picking up 2015 with Rock Band. We can't announce the game after that, though, since it's being determined by our Patreon backers. The options are ActRaiser, Bastion, Brave Fencer Musashi, or Secret of Mana. If you're a backer and you'd like to vote, here's the link: http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1319448&rf=84454

ActRaiser seems a bit out of place if I am remembering how paper thin the narrative is. Then again as the person responsible for the Soul Blazer episode, I don't think I have much room to talk.

I seriously hope Secret of Mana does not make it, just based on how grindy I remeber that game being.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'm so glad that Jake also thinks Aliens is poop from a butt independent of any relationship to the previous movie.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

The long-awaited first part of the Watch Out for Fireballs! Morrowind trilogy is out. We cover the main quest this week. Next week is the main guilds (Fighter, Mage, Thief, Assassin). The week after that is the Great House quests along with the remaining organizations (Temple, Cult, Legion) and misc quests.

I already have a huge backlog of Bonfireside Chat episodes to listen to, drat you for releasing things when it's most convenient to you and not to me!

On the other hand, I feel like Morrowind is important enough to get the bump to first place in my playlist.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Al! posted:

I'm so glad that Jake also thinks Aliens is poop from a butt independent of any relationship to the previous movie.

I wonder if the overlap between people being wrong about Alien > Aliens and Terminator > Terminator 2 is as perfect as I imagine it to be.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Osmosisch posted:

I was hoping to coax this answer out of Gary/Kole as well. Then I rented the game the other night and just can't seem to get into it :/. It was to be my methadone while waiting for a proper next gen Souls fix but it just isn't clicking. It feels mechanically fine but it has no soul. Pun not intended.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pasco posted:

I wonder if the overlap between people being wrong about Alien > Aliens and Terminator > Terminator 2 is as perfect as I imagine it to be.

The movies are so different that it's not even fair comparing them. You're choosing between atmospheric, tension building thrills or big budget action blockbusters.

Because Alien is a beautifully shot horror movie and Terminator is the perfect sci-fi thriller.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ulta posted:

I seriously hope Secret of Mana does not make it, just based on how grindy I remeber that game being.

But when you're killing Rabbites with that music playing is grinding really so bad? I'm pulling for SoM just because of how nonsensical it is. Also, Wall Face.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finally decided to listen to WOFF the other day. Scrolling though the backlog and settled on the Yoshi's Island episode and its very much my jam. Don't know why I was sleeping on them for so long.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Stan Taylor posted:

Finally decided to listen to WOFF the other day. Scrolling though the backlog and settled on the Yoshi's Island episode and its very much my jam. Don't know why I was sleeping on them for so long.

Yoshi's Island is good I like the Blade Runner episode as well as both Shadowrun games and Indigo Prohpecy is pretty great.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Yoshi's Island episode still has the weirdest intro but I think Frank Booth Little Nemo is better

EDIT: wait the intro doesn't have the part about anatomy does it

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm just gonna go through and listen to the ones on games I like/have played first. Yoshi's Island is my favorite game ever and I don't know that I've ever actually heard/read anything where people talk in depth about how loving fantastic it is. Also thinking about what a Yoshi egg actually is will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

I would be down for an episode of any one of these titles, to play with WOFF and to listen Koll and Gary's thoughts, but my vote goes to ActRaiser. It's the most... interesting, I find.

If Secret Of Mana was Secret Of Evermore, I would be heading in that direction, though.

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm just gonna go through and listen to the ones on games I like/have played first. Yoshi's Island is my favorite game ever and I don't know that I've ever actually heard/read anything where people talk in depth about how loving fantastic it is. Also thinking about what a Yoshi egg actually is will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Yoshi's Island is a personal favourite of mine as well, but I loved the episode of Video Games Hot Dog where YI was their assignment game and they could not produce the tiniest amount of appreciate for it. Of course, I didn't agree with many of their criticisms, but it was refreshing to hear some people that hated it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eggie posted:

I would be down for an episode of any one of these titles, to play with WOFF and to listen Koll and Gary's thoughts, but my vote goes to ActRaiser. It's the most... interesting, I find.

If Secret Of Mana was Secret Of Evermore, I would be heading in that direction, though.

I wouldn't write off Secret of Mana's ability to provoke interesting discussion. It's a fun, beloved game that is also really poorly made in some respects, which usually make for good podcast chatter.

And re: Yoshi's Island hate, Jeff Gerstmann has gone on rants about how much it sucks before. It's like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that he's been totally wrong about. I think Yoshi's Island is like Majora's Mask in that it's very contentious rather than being universally beloved.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And re: Yoshi's Island hate, Jeff Gerstmann has gone on rants about how much it sucks before. It's like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that he's been totally wrong about. I think Yoshi's Island is like Majora's Mask in that it's very contentious rather than being universally beloved.

Honestly, before that VGHD episode I thought everyone loved it as much as I did.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thumbs really didn't talk about Far Cry 4 very much, and they were factually incorrect on a bunch of game mechanics, animals, etc. Basically they were talking about FC2 nd projecting it onto FC4 after playing it for a couple hours.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How is Yoshi's Island contentious at all? It has possibly the best art, music, gameplay and level design I can think of in any game ever. I can see not thinking it's that good, but bad? What?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He hates the crying baby mechanic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hell yes, Morrowind is the game I'm most looking forward to getting back into once I finally build the gaming PC I keep telling myself I'll build. Any chance you want to record the other two parts and pass them my way on the sly? I have 27 hours of travel to look forward to next week and need stuff to fill the void.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

How is Yoshi's Island contentious at all? It has possibly the best art, music, gameplay and level design I can think of in any game ever. I can see not thinking it's that good, but bad? What?

I love it, but stuff I've heard people complain about : baby Mario is annoying, the Yoshi vehicle stuff is a terrible gimmick that breaks game/level flow, the music is repetitive, the normal levels are too easy and opening the challenge levels is tedious.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

I love it, but stuff I've heard people complain about : baby Mario is annoying, the Yoshi vehicle stuff is a terrible gimmick that breaks game/level flow, the music is repetitive, the normal levels are too easy and opening the challenge levels is tedious.

The art style also translates super poorly into the SNES and everything looks muddy and blurry, the egg shooting mechanic is cumbersome, slow, and feels like you are playing a golf game / punting minigame in an NFL title. Also, it was originally billed as Super Mario World 2 while being nothing at all like Super Mario World proper. It is just an okay game. By far one of the worst side scrolling Marios.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe you just need to Get Good. :smug:

I love it and I love the egg mechanic, but I'm one of those people who can do it at the same time as traversing a level and I'm good at predicting when the reticle will be at a particular angle, so I guess it's different for some folks. Baby Mario is one of the most notorious game mechanics of all time, easy, and the skiing level is one of the most notorious platformer stages ever. Yoshi's Island isn't perfect, but it's really really good, and the music is outstanding. Have a sweet-rear end remix by McVaffe of the underground theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkLHnPOyH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Also, it was originally billed as Super Mario World 2 while being nothing at all like Super Mario World proper.

• Locked thread