Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm saying that Denna was his wife's alternate PC for a few months.

Denna was Dave next door who agreed to play with him while his wife was away for business.

Dave always was a bit of a strange one...

Bucnasti posted:

If they haven't have a new mage for someone to train in 200 years, than how did the sister just kill a young one?

They have new mages, but they have a lot more novices than mages maybe?

If, say, one new mage comes in a year but five new novices, it could easily take a long time before a novice gets to prove herself with a mage.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

If they haven't have a new mage for someone to train in 200 years, than how did the sister just kill a young one?

Maybe their paperwork is so bad the kid died 201 years ago and they just now noticed they still need a report on that? :v:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Shota is the ultimate example of a parent with no authority due to over threatening and never following through.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Spoilers (again): it's because it can take up to hundreds of years to be graduated. The Sisters are not the best teachers.

Basically everyone at the Palace is immortal.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Spoilers (again): it's because it can take up to hundreds of years to be graduated. The Sisters are not the best teachers.

Basically everyone at the Palace is immortal.
Ayup. The sisters take centuries just to teach a young man not to die from Han leakage.

Think of how long it takes to teach one how to use his Han.....solo? :mmmhmm:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

quote:

“Why not? I hate never knowing. I hate not knowing if the Sister I’m talking to is a Sister of the Light, or one of us, a Sister of the Dark....”

She slammed her fist on the desk and gritted her teeth. “Don’t you ever say that out loud again,” she hissed, “or I will send you to the Nameless One in pieces.”

This time the other stared down at the carpet as her face paled. “Forgive me,” she whispered.

“There isn’t a Sister of the Light alive who believes we are anything but myth. If that name ever reaches their ears, they could begin to wonder. That name is never, ever, to be spoken aloud by you! If the Sisters were to ever discover you, or who you serve, they would have a Rada’Han around your neck before you had a chance to scream.”

So is the Nameless One the name the Sisters of the Dark give the Keeper? And they're discouraged from giving any weight to the rumour/myth of Sisters of the Dark?

Did Goodkind discard the logic of this as soon as he wrote it? What a twat:

quote:

She let her eyes take in Pasha again: soft brown hair that just touched her shoulders, big brown eyes, attractive features, lips of the sort men stared at, proud, upright shoulders, and a sweep of curves that even a novice’s dress failed to conceal.

She pulled the rod away and lifted an eyebrow. “Those who worship the Nameless One don’t hide in the shadows, my dear. They could be anywhere. Why, even you could be one. Even me.”

Pasha fell to a knee, bowing her head. “Oh, please, Sister,” she implored, “don’t say such a thing of yourself, even in jest. You are a Sister of the Light, and we are in the Palace of the Prophets, safe, I pray, from the whispers of the Nameless One.”

“Safe?” With her rod, she motioned the novice up. After she was on her feet, she gave her a stern look. “Only a fool assumes she is safe, even here. Sisters of the Light are not fools. Even they must always be alert to the dark whispers.”

“Yes, Sister. I will remember.”

“Remember it, any time someone would make you ashamed of how the Creator has formed you. Ask yourself why they blush at seeing the Maker’s hand. Blush, as the Nameless One would.”

She shrugged. “We cannot always know what the Creator has intended. When He wishes, it will be revealed.”

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Esposito posted:

So is the Nameless One the name the Sisters of the Dark give the Keeper? And they're discouraged from giving any weight to the rumour/myth of Sisters of the Dark?

Did Goodkind discard the logic of this as soon as he wrote it? What a twat:

Or Pasha is also a Dark Sister and namedropping the Nameless One is their procedure for checking whether someone is also in the evil club? If they know what the gently caress you're talking about, you know they're a Black Sister, if not you just backpedal and go "I dare not even say his title" or someshit.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
Actually, Nameless One is what all the Sisters call the Keeper, because calling the true name of a supernatural power will bring it's attention. It isn't an uncommon magic trope.

Naturally, Goodkind gets stupid with it later.

I mean, stupid beyond the fact that The Keeper Of The Underworld is a given name, apparently, and not the title and function of the entity.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Not only are there sisters of the dark, but ALMOST EVERY SISTER WE ARE GOING TO MEET is a sister of the dark. No, I'm not exaggerating, he goes way the gently caress overboard on this thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Actually, Nameless One is what all the Sisters call the Keeper, because calling the true name of a supernatural power will bring it's attention. It isn't an uncommon magic trope.

Naturally, Goodkind gets stupid with it later.

I mean, stupid beyond the fact that The Keeper Of The Underworld is a given name, apparently, and not the title and function of the entity.

To be fair, Richard explicitly points this out as stupid. 'If he's as powerful as you claim, do you really think pussyfooting around his name is going to prevent him from noticing you?'

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

To be fair, Richard explicitly points this out as stupid. 'If he's as powerful as you claim, do you really think pussyfooting around his name is going to prevent him from noticing you?'

Yes of course. Richard notices and points out EVERYTHING that is stupid, after all. He also deduces several mathematical and physics concepts simply by experiencing them once. Our Newtonian Philosopher hero, Richard Rahl.

And no he is never called Cypher again for the rest of the books. They never even bring it up again, to my knowledge. On the plus side, at least we get to do away with that awful metaphor for good. Yes, we are by now aware that Richard is the Seeker of Truth and will unravel all riddles (with violence and temper tantrums and unreasonable leaps of logic).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You know, when you think about it, that's kind of a dick move. "Hey, so George Cypher is the man who raised you, cared for you, and who you've always considered your father. And this guy Rahl, he's like, a megalomaniacal murderwizard who literally raped your mom. So I think it's pretty clear which name we're going to be using from now on to remind you of this fact every goddamn time it's brought up."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Not only are there sisters of the dark, but ALMOST EVERY SISTER WE ARE GOING TO MEET is a sister of the dark. No, I'm not exaggerating, he goes way the gently caress overboard on this thing.

This could be a hilarious short story in the right hands: every single member of a "followers of light" group is secretly evil, and they don't know that there's not a single unconverted good guy left thanks to their convoluted systems of recognizing one another. None of them have pieced it together yet, so they all keep dancing through the motions of testing and tempting one another over to the "dark side".

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Spoilers Below posted:

This could be a hilarious short story in the right hands: every single member of a "followers of light" group is secretly evil, and they don't know that there's not a single unconverted good guy left thanks to their convoluted systems of recognizing one another. None of them have pieced it together yet, so they all keep dancing through the motions of testing and tempting one another over to the "dark side".

The man who was Thursday.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Touché. I love that story.

This thread got me thinking about the bloat of fantasy novels last night. DDP noted a couple posts back that he was only about 125 pages in, and given that we're a few more chapters, I'm guess-timating we're at perhaps 200 now? (Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair by comparing the page count of the 2nd novel in SoT to the first novels in other series, rather than an aggregate total, but the reason will soon become apparent)

Let's check in where we'd be in other famous fantasy series:

Lord of the Rings: By 200 pages into Fellowship, we've met Strider and we're in the council at Rivendell. We've met Tom Bombadill, heard the entire history of the hobbits, gotten the history of the War of the Ring from Gandalf, fought the Barrowwright, become elf friends, fought Nazgûl, and the series is at the point where it really gets cracking and exciting. A fellowship is being formed to carry the Ring to Mt. Doom, and poo poo is getting Real. About 60 pages left before Two Towers.

Elric of Melniboné: By 200 pages, the novel is already over, and you're 9 pages into Sailor on the Seas of Fate. I won't spoil it. It's very good.

Chronicles of Amber: We're well through Nine Princes in Amber, and into The Guns of Avalon. We've found a war for the multiverse, battled the gods themselves, seen multiple deaths, seen entire armies wiped off the face of the world, and questioned the nature of reality on multiple occasions.

More to come, or feel free to add you own!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But this is book 2, remember. And book 1 sure is as long as fellowship! (I think)

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

I take umbrage with Goodkind/ Richard classifying aspects of magic as 'nonsensical'. It comes across as both incredible pretentious and enormously stupid to say that magic shouldn't work a particular way because real life doesn't work that way. Yes, Goodkind, thank you, thank you for explaining why magic isn't real and wouldn't work. I surely wouldn't have figured it out if you hadn't pointed out to me. I totally would have thought I could use a wand to change rats into tea cup if you hadn't shown me the error of my ways. :jerkbag:

Once you have establish magic is a thing in your world and establish rules for that magic, you don't get to go back and say the rules are the stupid part because :science:. For example, say you establish that a character needs a plastic plant for magic to work. That's silly, yes, but it's magic. You can't go back later and say they don't need to chant magic words, then explain it as: "That's stupid. What did you all use before we had plastic, hmmmm? HA. :smug:"

Not to mention there is a big rear end difference between 'evil thing maybe knowing about you' and 'purposely demanding evil thing's attention and possible presence'. True names typically being a part of summoning after all. Now, you could argue that the magic in these books doesn't rely true names for summoning, and that would be a fair point, it isn't established in the books. Goodkind doesn't explain the rules for anything unless it is a set up to explain why that rule is stupid and thus can be ignored.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

silvergoose posted:

But this is book 2, remember. And book 1 sure is as long as fellowship! (I think)

Book one was ~800 pages, this one is a few shy of 1000.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

The copy of Lord of the Rings I'm working from, including Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King, all the appendixes and an index, is 1178 pages in total. :v:

Fake edit: Lord of the Rings is Book II of the Hobbit! Ha ha!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Am I the only one who mentally autocorrected "Verne" to "Verin"?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nihilarian posted:

Am I the only one who mentally autocorrected "Verna" to "Verin"?

I have checked myself on this so many times you don't even know. (She is not half as charming as Verin.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
First, let's meet two wizards-in-training! And, uh. Remember what Shota said about bleeding a wizard of their magic? Let's return to that. Foreshadowing does not last very long in this novel.

quote:

With a flick of her wrist, she brought her knife to her hand. “Up against the wall. Both of you.”

When they didn’t move quickly enough, she used the collars to slam them against the wall. With a thin stream of power to each Rada’Han, she immobilized them against the stone. They were flattened against the wall and helpless to lift a finger.

“Please, Sister,” Ranson whispered, “don’t kill us. We’ll do anything. Anything.”

Her cold gaze settled on his dark eyes. “Yes, you will. One of you anyway. But we haven’t gotten to the oath yet. Now still your tongue or I will do it for you.”

“One of you two is going to have the Rada’Han taken off tomorrow, and be free to go. As far as the Sisters of the Light are concerned, anyway. Not as far as I, or more importantly, the Keeper, are concerned. It will be the beginning of your service to him. If you serve well, you will be rewarded when he is free of the veil. If you fail in your tasks ... Well, you wouldn’t want to know what would happen to you if you should fail him.”

“Sister,” Ranson asked in a shaky voice, “why only one of us? We could both give the oath. We could both serve.”

Weber’s sudden glare shifted to his friend. He didn’t like being spoken for. He always had been obstinate.

“The oath is a blood oath. One of you will have to pass my test to earn the privilege of taking it. The other is going to lose the gift tonight, lose his magic. Do you know how a wizard loses the gift?”

They both shook their heads.

“When they are skinned, the magic bleeds from them.” She said it as if she were discussing peeling a pear. “Bleeds away until it’s all gone.”

“Please, Sister, we serve the Creator, as the Sisters have taught us,” Weber cried. “We serve the Creator, not the Keeper.”

She regarded him coolly. “Since you are so loyal to the Creator, Sam, I will give you first choice. Do you want to be the one to live, or to die tonight?”

“Why him?” Ranson demanded. “Why does he get to choose first?”

“Keep your tongue still, Neville. You will speak when spoken to.” She slid her gaze back to Weber. She lifted his chin with a finger. “Well, Sam? Who dies, you or your best friend?” She folded her arms across her breasts.

He looked up at her with hollow eyes. His skin was ashen. He didn’t look over at his friend. His voice came in a flat whisper.

“Me. Kill me. Let Neville live. I won’t give an oath to the Keeper. I would rather die.”

She looked back into his empty eyes a moment and then turned to Ranson. “And what have you to say, Neville? Who lives? Who dies? You, or your best friend in the world. Who gives the Keeper their oath?”

He glanced to Weber, who didn’t look back. He licked his lips. His dark eyes came back to her.

“You heard him. He chooses to die. If he wants to die, let him. I choose to live. I will give the Keeper my oath.”

“Your soul.”

He nodded slowly, his eyes flashing fierce determination. “My soul.”

“Well then” —she smiled— “it seems you two friends have come to an agreement. Everyone is happy. So be it. I am pleased, Neville, that it is to be you with us. You have made me proud.”

“Do I have to be here?” Ranson asked. “Do I have to see it?”

“See it?” She raised an eyebrow. “You have to do it.”

He swallowed, but the hard look stayed in his eyes. She had always known it would be him. Oh, not that there hadn’t been doubts, but she had known. She had taught him well. She had spent a great deal of time on him, bending him to her way. The healed but still naked wizard strode up to her and stopped, waiting. “What is it I am to do?”

She flicked her wrist, bringing the knife to her hand once more. She gave it a quick, sharp toss in the air, catching it by the blade. She held the handle out to him.

“You are to skin him. Alive.”

She pushed the handle against him until his hand came up and took it.

Ranson’s eyes left her steady gaze. He stared at the knife in his hand. “Alive,” he repeated.

She reached into a pocket and pulled out the small item she had brought: a pewter figure of a man on one knee, holding a crystal over his head. His tiny bearded face was turned up to it in wonder. The crystal was slightly elongated, coming to faceted points. Inclusions floated frozen inside, like a sky of constellations. She wiped the dust off it with the corner of her light cloak and held the small statue out to Ranson.

“This is magic, and a receptacle of magic. The crystal is called quillion. It will absorb the magic as it bleeds from your friend, after he is skinned. When, and only when, all his magic has bled into the quillion, it will give off an orange glow. You will bring the crystal to me to prove you have done the job.”

He swallowed and closed his eyes for a moment. They came open. “What if he dies before the magic is all bled away?”

“With the quillion present, he will live as long as there is any significant trace of it in him. After it’s all in the crystal, it will begin to glow. In that way you will know it is finished. After that, I don’t care what you do with him. If you want, you may finish him quickly.”

Someone seriously invented a device that will keep a wizard alive so you can bleed him of all his magic. Every goddamn wizard inventor was a complete rear end in a top hat.

Also, remember what I said about Sister Black here being a real prick to Pasha? Yeah. This:

quote:

“After you have finished here, and before you come to me at dawn, there is one more task you will perform this night.”

Ranson took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “Another task? Must I do another task this night?”

She smiled and patted his cheek. “This second task you will enjoy. It’s a reward for doing a good job with the first. Serving the Keeper well has its rewards, as you will find out. Failing him has its punishments, as I hope you never discover.”

He looked suspicious. “And what is this second task?”

“You know a novice named Pasha?”

He let out a grunt. “There isn’t a man in the palace who doesn’t know who Pasha Maes is.”

“And how well do these men ‘know’ her?”

Ranson shrugged. “She likes to give a kiss and a cuddle in a corner.”

“Any more than a ‘kiss and a cuddle’?”

“I know a few men who have had their hand up her skirt. I’ve heard them talk about what fine legs she has, how they would give up the gift just to have those legs around them. But I don’t think any have. Some of the men watch out for her, as if she were a defenseless kitten. One in particular, young Warren, keeps a watchful eye on her.”

“Warren is one of the men she likes to kiss and cuddle?”

“I don’t think she would know him if he was standing in front of her.” He chuckled softly. “If he could even work up enough courage to take his nose out of the archives and look her in the face.” He frowned. “So what is the task?”

“When you are finished here, I want you to go to her room. Tell her how you are to be released tomorrow, and that when you passed all your tests, the Creator came to you in a vision. Tell her that the Creator told you in this vision that you were to go to her and teach her how to use the glorious gift of her figure that He had given her, how she was meant to use this gift to please men, so that when the special task He has for her is revealed, she will be prepared.”

“Tell her the Creator said it was to help her deal with her new one, as he would be the most difficult any novice has ever been given. Tell her the Creator revealed to you that He made this night hot, so she would sweat between her breasts, over her heart, to awaken her to His wishes.” She gave him a smooth smile. “Then, I want you to teach her how to please a man.”

He stared incredulously at her. “What makes you think she will believe any of this, or go along?”

Her smile widened. “You tell her what I told you to tell her, Neville, and you will have a great deal more than your hand up her skirt. She will probably have her legs around you before you finish talking.”

He nodded dumbly. “All right.”

YUP.

The entire point of picking this little poo poo out was that apparently he's like a day off of release into the real world again, so he's going to be An Agent of the Keeper. Too bad the Palace of the Prophets is so far from the events of the books-

quote:

“After you are released, you must be off at once, in the service of your homeland. You do remember your homeland, don’t you? You are going to go to Aydindril, as an advisor to High Prince Fyren. You have things to do there. Important things.”

“Like what?”

“We will talk about it in the morning. But now, before you can do the first task, and the second, and the rest of it, you have an oath to give. Is this of your free will, Neville?”

She watched his eyes. They darted briefly to his friend huddled against the wall. Then he turned to glance at the knife and the quillion. She saw his dark eyes go out of focus, and she knew he was thinking about Pasha. He answered her in a whisper.

“Yes, Sister.”

She nodded. “Very good, Neville. Kneel. The time of the oath is upon you.”

As he went to his knees, she lifted her hand. The flame of the torch puffed out, plunging the room into total blackness.

“The oath to the Keeper,” she whispered, “is given in the darkness that is his homeland.”

Yep. So basically we're continuing the trend of every wizard is a prick - only the darkfriends get to leave alive thanks to Sister Black and others. Ta-da! That's actually a good scheme, you have to admit.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Caros posted:

Wow, so the boxes are 3/3 for lovely outcomes. Either someone gains control over life and death (lovely), The world is destroyed (very lovely), or the person who used them is killed which lets the devil hang out in the world and soulrape women. Who made these again? And why?

This is actually a plot point later.
When I forced myself to finish the series in college, I was unreasonably mad about how it comes up later.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

This is actually a plot point later.
When I forced myself to finish the series in college, I was unreasonably mad about how it comes up later.

Makes me glad I didn't finish the series!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yep, apparently they don't let ANY of the wizards leave unless they are evil.

Seriously the whole point of this novel is that the sisters of the light are basically a billion times weaker than the sisters of the dark so why in the world do the dark sisters even hide their poo poo?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Because the Black Ajah hid in WoT.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Yep, apparently they don't let ANY of the wizards leave unless they are evil.

Seriously the whole point of this novel is that the sisters of the light are basically a billion times weaker than the sisters of the dark so why in the world do the dark sisters even hide their poo poo?

Yeah I don't get it either. Anyone with subtractive magic can just utterly destroy someone with just additive magic so why the hiding and secrecy? Just take over the drat place.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sotar posted:

Yeah I don't get it either. Anyone with subtractive magic can just utterly destroy someone with just additive magic so why the hiding and secrecy? Just take over the drat place.

And some idiot with a crossbow can take out a wizard. Steel against steel and all that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sotar posted:

This is one thing WoT actually did really well, even the most destructive magic of balesfire can be countered by a very special weave, like itself just the opposite or something. A force of pure creation to negate the pure destruction. Too bad it takes until the very end for the Aes Sedai to learn of this fact.

Why Goodkind thought it was a good idea to have additive magic completely limp against subtractive magic is something which baffles me to this day. It's worse than balesfire, because that stuff could at least be used by both sides.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Libluini posted:

This is one thing WoT actually did really well, even the most destructive magic of balesfire can be countered by a very special weave, like itself just the opposite or something. A force of pure creation to negate the pure destruction. Too bad it takes until the very end for the Aes Sedai to learn of this fact.

Why Goodkind thought it was a good idea to have additive magic completely limp against subtractive magic is something which baffles me to this day. It's worse than balesfire, because that stuff could at least be used by both sides.

And yet, later on, Zedd has no problem teaching the refugees from the Palace all about using magic in warfare, including counter-acting the other side's magic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

And yet, later on, Zedd has no problem teaching the refugees from the Palace all about using magic in warfare, including counter-acting the other side's magic.

Well, Zedd is a crafty old bastard. Maybe every other user of additive magic in the world is just really, really lovely at it. (Or Goodkind only remembers the properties of negative magic when it's plot relevant.)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Spoilers Below posted:

Touché. I love that story.

This thread got me thinking about the bloat of fantasy novels last night. DDP noted a couple posts back that he was only about 125 pages in, and given that we're a few more chapters, I'm guess-timating we're at perhaps 200 now? (Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair by comparing the page count of the 2nd novel in SoT to the first novels in other series, rather than an aggregate total, but the reason will soon become apparent)

Even for bloated fantasy doorstoppers, this series doesn't do too well.

Two hundred pages into Game of Thrones, Ned is already King's Landing and Daenerys has wed Drogo, and this is a series with a half-dozen different plot threads going at once AND what amounts to an intro short story that took 20 pages before we even meet anyone who's actually important.

Wheel of Time is pretty slow moving itself, but two hundred pages into Eye of the World, Rand et al have fled their home village and are about to end up in Shadar Logoth.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The astounding number of war crimes our characters commit when we get to those chapters is astonishing.

Seriously, one moment always sticks out to me for its sheer hosed-up cruelty.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
It's certainly never made relevant any time soon. A single Sister of the Dark could probably take out the entire palace of Sisters of the Light, not to mention the swelling army of Badsisters that seem to lurk around every corner.

Seriously one of the plot points of wielding subtractive magic is that it utterly cancels out additive magic. And I don't mean in the "both sides nullify each other" sense; subtractive magic just outright erases additive magic and keeps on truckin'

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
gently caress it, one more post, just so I won't feel bad about dropping THE BOMB in the thread before I go to work in a few hours.

Chapters 14 & 15: Richard has made another Mud Person irrationally angry at him by saving his life. This happens a lot because if they did the sane thing, and looked at him as a dude who saved them like ten times now, there would be no irritating conflict in these chapters and we would actually get on with the main plot. This time around, a bitter dickweed from the next tribe over (note: their tribe is not named Mud People, they actually have a loving name for their people) gets himself killed on purpose to start a war because he hates the Mud People. But secretly. So secretly that the other tribe sent him as their only diplomat, allowing him to be martyred.

Dipshits, the lot of them.

Anyway, I told you that story so I could tell you this one: the angry dude is convinced they will attack from the east, since they are on the MP's eastern border. Richard somehow goes "Wait... they'll come from the NORTH, because TACTICS." The other dude leads them out east anyway.

Richard and Kahlan head north and stop them. They did this anyway because "false spirits" spoke to them. This is going to happen a shitload now that the veil between Hell and Earth is torn. Again. Because THERE WERE LITERAL HOLES TO HELL ACTING AS BORDERS FOR YEARS, loving CHRIST.

You're probably wondering why I just summarized this instead of quoting. Well, it's simple: it's because this is pointless goddamn filler, because this book is just shy of 1000 pages. Other things I've been cutting out? The process of making Kahlan's wedding dress, and the preparations for their Mud People Marriage. Because it does not matter at all. We're just stalling until he obviously puts the collar on. I would tell you why he puts it on in the end, but oh my god it's hilarious.

Speaking of which, the other Sisters come back to the Spirit House. Let's see how that goes.

quote:

The strength in Sister Elizabeth’s eyes waned. Her hands lowered the collar. Her voice came in a fearful whisper. “Will you accept the offer and the Rada’Han?”

Richard stood staring at her. The power was back in his voice. “I refuse.”

Sister Elizabeth went pale as she stared back for a moment before turning to the woman behind her. “Forgive me, Sister, I have failed.” She put the Rada’Han in Sister Verna’s outstretched hand. Her voice came in a whisper. “It is upon you now.”

Sister Verna kissed her on each cheek. “The Light forgives you, Sister.”

Sister Elizabeth turned back to Richard, her face gone slack. “May the Light cradle you always with gentle hands. May you someday find the way.”

Richard stood with his fists on his hips as he watched her eyes. She lifted her chin. As Sister Grace had done, she brought her arm up and with a flick of her wrist brought the silver-handled knife to her hand. Richard continued to watch her as she flipped it around toward herself. Kahlan watched, holding her breath, spellbound, as the woman prepared to kill herself. The silence seemed thick. For a heartbeat, everyone was stone still.

The instant the knife began to move, Richard did too. His speed was shocking. Before Sister Elizabeth realized what had happened, Richard had her by her wrist. His other hand came up and began prying the odd knife from her fingers as she struggled to keep ahold of it. She was no match for his strength.

“I told you my rule. You are not allowed to kill yourself today.”

Her face twisted with futile effort. “Please! Let go—”

Her body flinched. Her head jerked back. There was a flash of light that seemed to come from within her, from within her eyes. Sister Elizabeth crumpled forward to the ground, Sister Verna pulling her own knife from the woman’s back as she fell.

Sister Verna’s gaze rose from the dead woman to Richard. “You must bury her body yourself. If you let another do it for you, you will have nightmares for the rest of your life, nightmares caused by magic. There is no cure for them.”

Anyway, now that Kahlan knows she's part Subtractive, she can break wizard webs. She does so with force lightning, freeing Richard from Verna making a fire trap for him to leave. Richard figures out why it is that they kill one another - it's a sorceress spell that passes their power on to the next one who tries. Verna's attempt will be the strongest and probably involve compulsion somehow.

Ten minutes later they call Darken Rahl out of hell.

quote:

From the center of the green light, a white brilliance oozed through, to coalesce into a form and stand before them. Her breath caught in her throat. The fine hairs on the back of her neck stood out stiffly.

The white form took a step closer. She only dimly realized Richard’s grip on her hand was hurting her. Kahlan knew the white robes, the long blond hair, the painfully handsome face that stood before them, smiling that small, gruesome smile. “Dear spirits protect us,” she whispered.

It was Darken Rahl.

As one, she and Richard came slowly to their feet. The glowing blue eyes watched them rise. Relaxed, unhurried, Darken Rahl brought a hand up and licked his fingertips.

“Thank you, Richard, for calling me back.” His cruel smile widened. “How thoughtful of you.”

“I ... didn’t call you back,” Richard whispered.

Darken Rahl laughed a quiet laugh. “Once again, you make a mistake. Call me back you did. You called a gathering. A gathering of ancestors’ spirits. I am your ancestor. Only you could have brought me back, through the veil. Only you.”

“I denounce you.”

“Denounce me all you will.” He held his arms out, out in the white light around him. “I am still here.”

“But I killed you.”

The glowing, shimmering, white robed form laughed again. “Killed me? So you did. And, you used magic to send me to a different place. A place where I am known. A place where I have ... friends. And now you have called me back. Again with magic. Not simply called me back, Richard, but torn the veil further to do so.” He slowly shook his head. “Is there no end to your stupidity?”

Guys, I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I still love Darken Rahl as an antagonist. He is action villain style through and through. This is some Raul Julia as M. Bison cheese right here.

Darken marks Richard with the Mark of the Keeper (which is a handprint - no, really) and just walks right out of the spirit house to go wreak havoc on the world as Ghost rear end in a top hat. It's great.

quote:

As she stood helpless, he left another kiss on her neck. The horror of the visions it seared through her mind left her feeling defiled beyond anything she had thought possible. “Just a tiny taste. Good-bye, for now, Mother Confessor.”

As he turned from her, she was able to move again. She snatched desperately for the power. It wouldn’t come. She cried and shook as she watched him glide through the doorway of the spirit house and disappear.

And then she collapsed to the ground with a wail of agony. Convulsing in ragged sobs, she clawed across the dirt to Richard.

He lay on his side, away from her. She pulled him over on his back. His arm flopped to his side, limp. His head rolled toward her. He looked ashen, dead. On his chest was a burned handprint—the Keeper’s mark. The blackened skin was cracked and bleeding. His life, his soul, was bleeding away.

So, uh. I told you he was going to wear the collar in time, and the reason behind it was stupid. Want to see why?

quote:

Kahlan gripped her fingers into a fist in his hair and pressed her face against his cold cheek. “Please, Richard,” she cried in choking sobs, “please don’t leave me. I would do anything for you. I would die in your place. Don’t die. Don’t leave me. Please, Richard. Don’t die.”

She crouched against him, her world ending. Dying. She could think of nothing to do, other than cry that she loved him. He was dying, and she could do nothing to stop it. She could feel his breathing slow.

She willed herself to die with him, but death wouldn’t come. She lost all sense of time. She didn’t know if she had been there a few minutes, or a few hours. She didn’t know what was real anymore. It all felt like a nightmare. With trembling fingers, she stroked his face. His skin was dead cold.

“You would be Kahlan.”

She spun around, sitting up, at the sound of the woman’s voice coming from behind her. The door to the spirit house was closed again. In the darkness, a white, spiritlike glow towered over her. It appeared to be a spirit, a woman, her hands clasped in front of her. She watched with a pleasant smile. Her hair, as best as Kahlan could make of it, was plaited in a single braid.

“Who are you?”

The figure sank down to sit in front of her. The spirit had no clothes Kahlan could make out, but didn’t appear to be naked either. The woman looked at Richard. A glaze of both longing and anguish came over her fair features. The spirit turned to Kahlan.

“I am Denna.”

Denna was basically in heaven thanks to how Richard killed her, finally at peace. Darken Rahl coming back to the world of the living hosed up the afterlife, though, and she rode the shockwave into reality in his wake. Kahlan's response to this is perfectly normal BARELY CONTROLLED MURDEROUS RAGE, of course.

quote:

Kahlan nodded. She wasn’t seeing a spirit; she was seeing a woman who had taken Richard as her mate. The power boiled angrily inside her. She struggled to put it down, telling herself that this was to save Richard. She didn’t know any other way; she had to let Denna help, if she could. Kahlan had said she would do anything, and she meant it. Even if it was not to try to kill someone who was already dead. Someone she wanted to kill a thousand times and then another thousand.

Denna, to her credit, is straight up honest with Kahlan here, and it's almost entirely praise (which pisses the Mother Confessor off even more). The gist is this: "You are going to have to talk him into wearing that collar, and I am going to tell you how to do so, because I basically hosed him up beyond belief TEN DAYS PRIOR and he still bears those scars." This is still three days after Darken Rahl's death! I want to make a sign that just says "It has been [_] days since a Rahl hosed up the face of the world." and scribble a 0 in the blank.

quote:

“Kahlan, listen to me. Anyone else would have been broken by what I did. Richard saved himself by partitioning his mind. He locked the core of himself away where I couldn’t get to it, where the magic couldn’t get to it. He used the gift to do that. It saved the core of himself from the insanity. But in the darkest corners of his mind lurks madness. I used his magic against him, to drive him insane. He couldn’t protect all of himself from the things I did. I told you what I did so you could see the truth of his madness. He had to sacrifice that part to save the rest. To save the rest for you. I wish I could have done the same when it was done to me.”

Kahlan lifted Richard’s hand in hers, holding the back of it to her heart. “How could you do those things?” she cried. “Oh, my poor Richard. How could you? How could you do that to anyone?”

“We all have our own little bits of insanity. Some more than others. My life was a darkness of it.”

“Then how could you! How could you, knowing what it was like!”

Denna watched her from under her eyebrows. “You have done terrible things too. You have used your power to hurt people.”

“But they were people guilty of horrible crimes!”

“All of them?” she asked quietly. “Every one?”

Kahlan’s breath caught with the memory of using her power against Brophy.

“No,” she whispered. “But I didn’t do it because I wanted to. I had to. It is my job. Who I am. What I am.”

“But you did it. And what of Demmin Nass?”

The words cut through her. Her mind flooded with the memory, the sweet memory, of castrating that beast of a man. She sank forward with a wail. “Oh, dear spirits, am I no better than you?”

“We all do what we must, whatever the reasons.” Her glowing, diaphanous fingers lifted Kahlan’s chin. “I do not tell you these things to hurt you, Kahlan. The telling of them wounds me more than you can know. I tell you because I want to save Richard, so that he doesn’t die before his rightful time, and so that the Keeper does not escape.”

Kahlan clutched Richard’s hand tighter to her breast as she wept. “I’m sorry, Denna ... but I don’t have it in me to forgive you. I know Richard does ... but I do not. I hate you.”

“I would not expect you to forgive me. I only wish you to understand the truth of what I am telling you, the truth of Richard’s madness.”

“Why! To what purpose!”

“So that you will understand what you must do. Wearing a collar is the core of that insanity. It symbolizes everything I did to him. In his mind, magic is madness, torture. A collar is madness, torture. Insanity. The thought of having a collar around his neck brings that madness out of the darkest corners of his being, brings out his deepest fears. He is not exaggerating when he says he would rather die than put a collar around his neck. He will not do it to save himself. If he doesn’t, he will die. There is only one thing in the world that will make him put on the collar.”

Kahlan’s head snapped up. Her eyes were wide. “You want me to ask him to put a collar around his neck.” She went weak with dread. “You would have me do that to him? After what you have told me?”

Denna nodded. “He will do it if you tell him to. He will not do it for any other reason. None.”

Richard’s limp arm slipped from Kahlan’s shaking hands. Her fingers covered her mouth. Denna was right. After what she knew now, what she had heard, she knew Denna was right.

Now, let me just point out what a massive jackass Kahlan is right now. She basically burns with hatred equal to one thousand suns because Denna says she loves Richard for being the only person to ever show her kindness... and probably more than Kahlan herself does, because she damns herself to eternal torment forever to save him.

quote:

Denna knelt next to Richard. Her hand went to the mark, covering it, dissolving into it. Richard’s chest heaved. Denna’s features twisted in pain. She threw her head back with a piercing scream that shot through Kahlan.

And then she was just gone.

In the morning, Kahlan says absolutely none of this to Richard.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

quote:

Richard shook his head. “No. That’s not true. It just isn’t possible.”
THAT'S RIGHT, BABY

I told you he learned the truth in the absolute most hosed up way, didn't I?

This is a while back but this quote reminds me of something I've heard somewhere before...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations posted:

Darth Vader: No. I am your father.
Luke Skywalker: No... that's not true! That's impossible!

Well done, Goodkind. Well done.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Actually in light of that last post I realized something that I'd always kind of understood about the series, but finally just put to words:

All the major or semi-major villains of this series have exactly the same thing going for them, in that they are effectively invincible. Our heroes are never up against a relatively equally-matched but intelligent and ruthless foe, nor are they ever in a situation where the other side is simply more powerful and thus they are fighting a losing battle or a war of attrition from the shadows. Yes, those things occasionally happen, but the grand badguys themselves are defined by utter invulnerability and bullshit powers that shut down any pretense of a battle well before it begins.

Here's a quick rundown of various villain powers:
1. Total invulnerability/subtractive magic/only actual wizard/controls every army/controls world-smashing artifacts
2. Total invulnerability due to magic that cancels out all other magic
3. Can mind control anyone forever with unlimited use (leading to total invulnerability)

Since the only way to possibly beat these foes is through rules-lawyering and even more obscene superpowers, it stands to reason that ONLY our hero Rick can actually do anything against any of the bad guys, which makes none of the actions anyone but Richard takes accomplish anything noteworthy at all. It also means that no matter how much of a petulant child and mass murderer he becomes he is the only character who can be objectively right since no other hero could possibly arise in his place.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Now, let me just point out what a massive jackass Kahlan is right now. She basically burns with hatred equal to one thousand suns because Denna says she loves Richard for being the only person to ever show her kindness... and probably more than Kahlan herself does, because she damns herself to eternal torment forever to save him.

In the morning, Kahlan says absolutely none of this to Richard.

This is it, guys. This is our female lead.

(Please note that, unlike Richard, Kahlan is almost always viciously shamed for her feminine weaknesses. In incredibly cruel ways.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know why this story is filling me with so much unreasonable white-hot rage. All I know is this book (and the previous) is offensively bad. Not just boring, like so much other fantasy fiction, but outright maddening. I think it's because of the sheer volume of contrived bullshit Goodkind is pulling out of his arse. Random poo poo (boxes of Orden, I Can't Believe They're Not Aes Sedai, Darken Rahl II: Return of Rahl...) just appears out of thin air, although to be honest Rick should've realized that what he was doing on that last one was bloody stupid.

I wonder if in some earlier draft of this book Rick didn't know who his daddy was until after the rite had already gone off. At least then he wouldn't be stupid, just ignorant, but then again it would only exacerbate the whole "just sit down and talk to each other for ten minutes, jesus" thing. Like, no one in this seems to be acting rationally. They just get pushed around by Goodkind's whims via whatever stupid magical proxy he came up with for this particular section. Aghhh.

I guess on the upside, most of the objectivist bullshit seems to have been replaced with regular old bullshit in this book so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Since the only way to possibly beat these foes is through rules-lawyering and even more obscene superpowers, it stands to reason that ONLY our hero Rick can actually do anything against any of the bad guys, which makes none of the actions anyone but Richard takes accomplish anything noteworthy at all. It also means that no matter how much of a petulant child and mass murderer he becomes he is the only character who can be objectively right since no other hero could possibly arise in his place.

Later books come right out and say that 3,000 years ago, über wizards set up EVERYTHING so that Richy-Rich would be in the right place, at the right time, with the right context, mindset, learnings, attitude and tools to do whatever. To the point of seeing to it that he's a contrary gently caress, then arranging things to trigger that, so if all goes JUST AS PLANNED.

He is equally completely justified and completely blameless for anything he winds up doing.