Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Germany Discussion (closed sundays): Alles Dichter und Denker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Germany Stammtisch (closed sundays): Alles Richter und Henker

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Finding a title is not really necessary, since this is hardly a hub of heated discussion.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since we had an actual and unironic argument of ~are freedoms~ over the last couple of pages, I'd be all for this, but I'd also need an appropriate german translation for that expression with the very same amout of irony attached to it.

"Sie hassen unsere freiheitlich-demokratische Grundordnung."

Fun fact: when the state employs you, even as a lowly HiWi at the university, you have to sign a paper stating that you vow to uphold the freiheitlich-demokratische Grundordnung in your work. My work is making copies. Also, I'm not allowed to spill state secrets or release prisoners.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Badly Jester posted:

Fun fact: when the state employs you, even as a lowly HiWi at the university, you have to sign a paper stating that you vow to uphold the freiheitlich-demokratische Grundordnung in your work. My work is making copies. Also, I'm not allowed to spill state secrets or release prisoners.
I actually learned recently that it's also treason to spill what you believe to be state secrets, even if it turns out you're wrong and it's trivial and public.

Not as good as the Gefangenenbefreiungsklausel, but still.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

When I worked as a HiWi, in two different departments, I never had to sign such a thing. I was even asked if I had signed a vow, said no, and still didn't have to sign anything but my work contract. I guess that means I'm legally allowed to free all prisoners, talk about the Bundeswehr's darkest secrets (its not an army, its an employment program for people who can't hack it on the labour market!) and start a revolution.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Libluini posted:

The secret of our trains: The Deutsche Bahn defines a "Verspätung" as a train coming late by more than five minutes.

Turns out if you use special German train time your trains will always be on time! (No, really.) :shepface:

Edit:

In welcher Jahreszeit hat die Deutsche Bahn die meisten Verspätungen?

-Frühling, Sommer, Herbst und Winter.

(In which season does the Deutsche Bahn has the most late arrivals?

-Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.)

:v:

I think thats a callback to an Old East German/Soviet joke:

Question: "Which for factors most strongly repress the growth of Communist agriculture?"
Awnser:"Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter."

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

ArchangeI posted:

When I worked as a HiWi, in two different departments, I never had to sign such a thing. I was even asked if I had signed a vow, said no, and still didn't have to sign anything but my work contract. I guess that means I'm legally allowed to free all prisoners, talk about the Bundeswehr's darkest secrets (its not an army, its an employment program for people who can't hack it on the labour market!) and start a revolution.

Such things could however happen under certain circumstances in which certain CDU ministries are involved in financing the project.
I could also see it happening in the Bundeswehr universities.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mightypeon posted:

I think thats a callback to an Old East German/Soviet joke:

Question: "Which for factors most strongly repress the growth of Communist agriculture?"
Awnser:"Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter."

Just shows how people in East and West aren't that different.

Like minds think alike.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zwille posted:

Germany Stammtisch (closed sundays): Alles Richter und Henker

:golfclap:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

It's even funnier in Bavaria, where you have to say the pledge aloud and it needs to be witnessed and confirmed by a civil servant. Absolutely no crossed fingers and mumbling allowed.

quote:

a) The person attending has this day sworn the following oath, in accordance with Art. 187 of the Constitution of Bavaria, by repeating the words of the oath:
"I swear loyalty to the Constitution of the Free State of Bavaria, so help me God."
This shall be confirmed below.

Probably very awkward for foreign exchange students.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Remember that Bavaria is the state that was forbidden to hang crosses in class rooms by the Constitutional Court, and they do it anyway.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

It's even funnier in Bavaria, where you have to say the pledge aloud and it needs to be witnessed and confirmed by a civil servant. Absolutely no crossed fingers and mumbling allowed.

I had to do this and the civil servant barely hid his amusement.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Remember that Bavaria is the state that was forbidden to hang crosses in class rooms by the Constitutional Court, and they do it anyway.

I have this giant saw in my backyard and nothing to do today, let's saw Bavaria off from the real Germany already

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

A dark, sick corner of me wants to see Bavaria and Austria unified, just to witness the unavoidable childish political bickering between Munich and Vienna.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Default Settings posted:

A dark, sick corner of me wants to see Bavaria and Austria unified, just to witness the unavoidable childish political bickering between Munich and Vienna.

Reminds me of the 27th canton of Switzerland idea.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Default Settings posted:

Well, it would just mean a return to the natural state of things :colbert:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is there actually a Greater Austria movement? poo poo, do you have monarchists? Because if 40 odd years are enough, you got to have them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Südtirol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Default Settings posted:

You could also have Baden-Württemberg unified with Switzerland, for extra laffs

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

e X posted:

poo poo, do you have monarchists?

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRPuiv7EJ0

(This was filed under "totally not a state funeral, you guys", btw)

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Default Settings posted:

Make the Allgäu a sovereign little state kinda like Liechtenstein or whatever. Only with cheese and cows instead of foreign money. Then I'm in.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

The Green party actually made a parliamentary inquiry on why exactly a honour guard formation of the Austrian army leads the funeral procession of someone who never held a public office. Somehow nothing ever came of that. :catholic:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

Is there actually a Greater Austria movement? poo poo, do you have monarchists? Because if 40 odd years are enough, you got to have them.

Eh, they're everywhere, like a pest. At least our own nobles up here in the cold north aren't doing anything to entice them. If you wanted to, you could go visit the Duke of Celle in Niedersachsen, for example.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

Eh, they're everywhere, like a pest. At least our own nobles up here in the cold north aren't doing anything to entice them. If you wanted to, you could go visit the Duke of Celle in Niedersachsen, for example.

I was still a little peeved to find out that the ancient house of Mecklenburg has died out in the male line and that we would now be a part of Prussia.

First the DDR disbands and now this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

I was still a little peeved to find out that the ancient house of Mecklenburg has died out in the male line and that we would now be a part of Prussia.

At least you got to become part of Prussia peacefully. The Kingdom of Hannover for some reason allied with far away Austria and got bitchslapped into submission. Our last king then ran away to Austria and left us to be annexed by the Prussians.

The real sad thing is the descendants of our late king are still around today, doing stupid poo poo liking beating up journalists and pissing at exhibitions at the millenial fair. So we not only lost our kingdom, the last in the line of our kings is a retarded rear end in a top hat.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

poo poo, that's a rough deal.

Libluini posted:

At least you got to become part of Prussia peacefully. The Kingdom of Hannover for some reason allied with far away Austria and got bitchslapped into submission. Our last king then ran away to Austria and left us to be annexed by the Prussians.

The real sad thing is the descendants of our late king are still around today, doing stupid poo poo liking beating up journalists and pissing at exhibitions at the millenial fair. So we not only lost our kingdom, the last in the line of our kings is a retarded rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Die Zigarettenmarke Lucky Strike veröffentlichte ohne Erlaubnis Ernst Augusts im März 2000 eine Werbeanzeige mit einer eingedrückten Zigarettenschachtel und dem Text „War das Ernst? Oder August?“. Eine deswegen von Ernst August angestrengte Klage wurde im Juni 2008 vom Bundesgerichtshof abgewiesen.[18] Im April 2012 wurde bekannt, dass Ernst August in dieser Sache schon seit 2009 beim Europäischen Gerichtshof für Menschenrechte gegen die Bundesrepublik Deutschland klagt.[19][20] Er sieht seine Menschenrechte dadurch verletzt, dass deutsche Gerichte die Werbeanzeige für zulässig erklärt haben. Derartige Werbetexte würden ihn als „brutalen Schläger“ an den „sozialen Pranger“ stellen.[21]

:laffo:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Libluini posted:

What angers me even more is that there are still people who give a poo poo about them and admire them etc.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

What angers me even more is that there are still people who give a poo poo about them and admire them etc.

Reading your posts here and in the Eastern Europe thread I sometimes wonder if you're ever not angry :v:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nicht immer, aber immer öfter.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Seriously, you need to take a breather every once in a while and just go all que cera, cera or something.
Constant infuriation will be the end of you. I speak from experience.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nah, I just love ranting and bitching. It's fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Libluini posted:

The secret of our trains: The Deutsche Bahn defines a "Verspätung" as a train coming late by more than five minutes.

Turns out if you use special German train time your trains will always be on time! (No, really.) :shepface:

Also, after it is announced that "Der Zug fährt jetzt ein" it does not count as a "Verspätung", even if the train takes fifteen minutes to enter the station.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Edit:

In welcher Jahreszeit hat die Deutsche Bahn die meisten Verspätungen?

-Frühling, Sommer, Herbst und Winter.

(In which season does the Deutsche Bahn has the most late arrivals?

-Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.)

:v:

If I recall correctly, in England they define a train coming late as being at least fifteen minutes late, while it's apparently only 1 minute in Japan. So I would say we are fairly mediocre in this regard.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Complaining about the Bahn being late is the most German thing ever, slightly in front of being irrationally scared of nuclear power and exceptionally bad football fan chants.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Cingulate posted:

exceptionally bad football fan chants.

Not always :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J89d5Mqa-w

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cingulate posted:

exceptionally bad football fan chants.

Du kannst nach hause fahrn. Repeated 1000 times. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

If I recall correctly, in England they define a train coming late as being at least fifteen minutes late, while it's apparently only 1 minute in Japan. So I would say we are fairly mediocre in this regard.

Well, do they also tell people a train needing 15 minutes to enter the station "doesn't count as being late"? :v:

Also let me tell you about that one time when I came back from a funeral in Cologne and my trains started running up more and more delays on my way back until I ended halfway to home in Bielefeld at around midnight, three hours late. Of course in Bielefeld, no train was available until morning, so in effect I was about 8 hours late.

Something like this happened to me three times by now. Nearly every time I'm travelling longer then 1-2 hours by train, the Deutsche Bahn suddenly fucks up, just for me. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I once was 2 hours late and that was already bad. I have a feeling that the Bahn gives lower priority to trains that are already late by the way.