Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best app for saving stuff for later viewing/reading? Pocket? Instapaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

radge posted:

This Workflow app seems nice. A bit like a supercharged native IFTTT. 40% off launch special too.
That looks pretty neat...also seems like something Apple will reject down the line for whatever reason :tinfoil:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for saving stuff for later viewing/reading? Pocket? Instapaper?

I'd say pocket.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Weird, scanner pro has been perfectly reliable for me since iOS 8 and I use it a few times a week.

Xabi posted:

Professional reference materials that you need actual copies of across many devices and the cloud? Evernote.

Personal reading material you'd like to view once or twice and offline? Pocket or Instapaper or Readability. I use pocket but the three are generally interchangeable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

Weird, scanner pro has been perfectly reliable for me since iOS 8 and I use it a few times a week.
Same, but I'm going to check out Scanbot since it's free, I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Xabi posted:

I was using Instapaper for a while, but Pocket is really superior in every way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On Scanbot the OCR and other features are $5 but you can message yourself a coupon to get it for $2.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The new Google app update seems great so far. Finally updated to the iPhone 6 screen size and incorporates their new material design.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Pissflaps posted:

I'd say pocket.

Thank you, Pissflaps et al.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
ScanBot is neat though Scanner Pro had one indispensable(?) feature, faxing. :shepface:

As someone who doesn't own a fax machine (along with the rest of the world), I found this feature great for those who suddenly need it. For example I had to send forms to my credit union just last week to get charges reversed from someone having a spending spree on a cloned card.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I guess I'll give Scanner Pro another go, in light of evidence that it's not iOS8-broke, but Scanbot remains a fine substitute for the price of free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried out Nintype and wow that was $5 I'll never get back.

I think I'm just really not a fan of how iOS handles alternate keyboards, which is to say, poorly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I tried out Nintype and wow that was $5 I'll never get back.

I think I'm just really not a fan of how iOS handles alternate keyboards, which is to say, poorly.
There's a way to request a refund on the store actually...I forget how exactly, but your $5 is likely recoverable.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

I was using Instapaper for a while, but Pocket is really superior in every way.

I _want_ to support Instapaper because it's the grand-daddy of this app space, but Pocket is just better in every feature save typography. I switch back to Instapaper every once in a while to see where's it at but then it reliably fails to suck in a Salon article or something that Pocket handles with aplomb and I switch back. I don't need friction in my "give me something to do until it's my turn in this grocery line" workflow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

There's a way to request a refund on the store actually...I forget how exactly, but your $5 is likely recoverable.
I try not to abuse that just for things I don't like.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Wow. Hey I have a bridge I think you should buy. It's right over here...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

ScanBot is neat though Scanner Pro had one indispensable(?) feature, faxing. :shepface:

As someone who doesn't own a fax machine (along with the rest of the world), I found this feature great for those who suddenly need it. For example I had to send forms to my credit union just last week to get charges reversed from someone having a spending spree on a cloned card.

Holy poo poo, I never even saw the fax button until now. I've wasted so many bux sending faxes from the post office in the past year. Never again!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Transmit cool? I want to want it. I like Panic. What are some common "use cases" that would be cool?

[edit]

I got Scant (Pro) and have OCR turned on but I'm not entirely sure how to use it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 12, 2014

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Didn't see it in the OP, so what's the best YouTube client? I was using Jasmine, but it can be a little clunky sometimes, and it hasn't been updated for iPhone 6 screen sizes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Didn't see it in the OP, so what's the best YouTube client? I was using Jasmine, but it can be a little clunky sometimes, and it hasn't been updated for iPhone 6 screen sizes.

What's wrong with the regular YouTube app?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

MxTube, but its been pulled from the AppStore so unless you already downloaded it you're SOL.

MxTube has a popup right now, set to disappear later this month, which recommends Tubex. I've been using Tubex and its everything I could ask for in a YouTube client.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

ProTube is pretty good. It's clean and fast and you can keep things playing in the background. It also doesn't play ads, so I don't know how long it's gonna last.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got Workflow now I feel like a dumb idiot because I can't think of any workflows worth building.

I have pretty much the same problem with Automator, I should have known!!

It's a very nice app though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Is Transmit cool? I want to want it. I like Panic. What are some common "use cases" that would be cool?
If you have a server (or home server) you can use it for anything that supports the new iOS 8 file storage provider thing. You can send files to the server, open files from it, do some simple text editing. I haven't used it as such, but it has local file storage so you could use it for local file management (like GoodReader, PDF Expert and what not) along with doing the same stuff on remote servers (which those other apps don't handle beyond just transfers/syncing).

One caveat is that it doesn't support SSH tunneling right now (it's planned) so if you have servers behind a separate SSH tunnel you won't be able to access them.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What's wrong with the regular YouTube app?
I hate that it kicks you out of Safari, the non standard controls kinda stink personally, and can't set a default video quality, which wouldn't be a big deal but it seems like the auto quality is way too conservative and goes to poo poo a lot when my connection handles 720p+ fine.

decypher posted:

MxTube, but its been pulled from the AppStore so unless you already downloaded it you're SOL.

MxTube has a popup right now, set to disappear later this month, which recommends Tubex. I've been using Tubex and its everything I could ask for in a YouTube client.
Another MxTube to Tubex person here, it pretty much seems like a newer version of MxTube, but without the file downloading feature. And yeah it's great, hope it doesn't get pulled for whatever reason :ohdear:. Although if it does I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back under another name :v:

priznat posted:

I got Workflow now I feel like a dumb idiot because I can't think of any workflows worth building.

All I could think of was animated gifs and printing to PDF. Not that the latter works how I'd want for web pages at least since it grabs the content based on the URL rather than what's actually displaying at the time (which would differ for dynamic pages or cookied stuff).

I'm sure there's more stuff I could use but I haven't messed with it much beyond that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I'm in exactly the same boat as well. I can barely find good uses for IFTTT in my life, let alone Automator.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

japtor posted:

Another MxTube to Tubex person here, it pretty much seems like a newer version of MxTube, but without the file downloading feature. And yeah it's great, hope it doesn't get pulled for whatever reason :ohdear:. Although if it does I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back under another name :v:

I used mxtube occasionally but only for the downloading. Does Tubex do anything better than the YouTube app?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AFAIK, MXTube is still available on Cydia, provided you're jailbroken, of course. And even though it says iOS 6 & & support, it's working fine for me on iOS 8.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
My favourite youtube player is the "Request Desktop Version" function.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

AFAIK, MXTube is still available on Cydia, provided you're jailbroken, of course. And even though it says iOS 6 & & support, it's working fine for me on iOS 8.

It's still on Cydia.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anything ever leave Cydia?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I set playlists in YouTube for train videos for my kid. ( I did this action both in apps like Jasmine *and* on my computer just using YouTube.com. In all cases, any app I use on my phone ( jasmine, tuned, etc) shows the playlist but it comes up empty. ( and I am signed in.) Any ideas?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

noirstronaut posted:

Does anything ever leave Cydia?

Nope, feel free to browse iOS3 and 4 themes to your hearts content.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
A bunch of good apps are various percentages off right now; http://appsanta.co

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
loving hell, I bought Drafts 4 yesterday. I don't really even like it over the older Drafts, but after upgrading to an iPhone 6, I wanted something that was being rendered at the correct screen size.

I did at least get a few bucks off Clear which I had also been intending to buy for a while. Thanks for sharing :)

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I don't love the interface of Overcast overall but Smart Speed seems like a pretty killer/differentiating feature that sets it apart.

Do any other podcast apps have anything similar for speeding up silences like Overcast's Smart Speed?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Parker Lewis posted:

Do any other podcast apps have anything similar for speeding up silences like Overcast's Smart Speed?

No. That was one of his major selling points and the reason he built the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

101 posted:

No. That was one of his major selling points and the reason he built the app.

I have no idea if the app is any good, but Marco's actually acknowledged that RSSRadio did it before Overcast was released.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no idea if the app is any good, but Marco's actually acknowledged that RSSRadio did it before Overcast was released.

App is strong but not perfect. Still my podcast app of choice pretty much just because of Smart Speed/Voice Boost and the interface. Very good if you're listening to podcasts as on-demand radio.

The major, glaring weakness is back episodes. Everything is built around downloading the latest episode, and there's only 2 states for a podcast file: downloaded or not downloaded. There's no separate listened/unlistened state. If someone tells you to check out, say, Planet Money (a podcast with almost 600 episodes), you either have to:

• Download all 589 episodes and use that to manage state, if you even have the space for it.
  • Manually keep track of what episodes you've listened to.
  • Give up on the back catalog.

I've been listening to The Flop House, and my plan of attack has been to download in batches of 20. Once I hit around #15, I download up to #40. It's the best compromise I've found, but it's not ideal. I still prefer it to keeping 2 podcast apps on my phone, though.

I also miss Downcast's swipe gestures to skip past Squarespace and Stamps.com commercials while I'm driving, but the skip buttons are pretty big and easy to hit without looking.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Overcast is my podcast app of choice too. I meant I don't know how good RSSRadio is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, you can't use password protected podcasts because there's no mechanism for logging in.