Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

nice

how did you pull that off, sata to pata bridge?

yeah just one of these guys

bridge snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
BeOS Bitches!

powermac 7600/120, 220Mhz G3 add-in card, 96mb ram, 2 scsi hdds - 1 running BeOS, the other OS8

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sweet. I had beos running on my old power tower 180

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Chris Knight posted:

sweet. I had beos running on my old power tower 180

same except powercenter 166

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

same except powercenter 166

same except starmax 5000/233

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I have to use windows at work

until I can find a better job, is there a mac os sound scheme for windows

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

UMAX C500 ftw

Virtual PC ran decent but kinda slow

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
OLD MACS SUCK BALLS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
What was the name of that website/blog back in the day that had kind of classic Mac OS graphics theme, and started out as Apple rumors site but then became a general Apple meta-humor site and every week had a humorous poll to vote on? That was a good site

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Sagebrush posted:

What was the name of that website/blog back in the day that had kind of classic Mac OS graphics theme, and started out as Apple rumors site but then became a general Apple meta-humor site and every week had a humorous poll to vote on? That was a good site

Failblog.com

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Soon as I make the post I remember it: As The Apple Turns.

It looks like it's all dead right now. Boo. Maybe I find it on the internet archive later

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

infernal machines posted:

BeOS Bitches!

powermac 7600/120, 220Mhz G3 add-in card, 96mb ram, 2 scsi hdds - 1 running BeOS, the other OS8

plz remit high res versions :greencube:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i didn't take any actual screenshots. getting files off that thing is a bit of a pain

if i have the gumption to set it up again i'll take some though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

don't you have any floppy disks lying around your goon cave?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

don't you have any floppy disks lying around your goon cave?

somewhere. the problem is digging poo poo out. then i have to find where my usb floppy drive has gotten to.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

this is the only part of my performa left that i could find

HDI-45(lol) to DA-15 adapter

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the apple a/v monitors with the speakers and adb hub built in were p sweet

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

As The Apple Turns

that site was my favorite way back when

i have an AtAT shirt around somewhere

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

In fact, PCI expansion chassis aren't a new idea; MacCentral describes one such offering from a company called MAGMA, who has just announced their PCI expansion systems for the PowerBook G3 Series of laptops. For about a grand, you can add three or seven PCI slots to your nifty new PowerBook. The expansion unit connects to the PowerBook via one of the media bays, so you'll have to give up either your CD-ROM/DVD drive or your floppy drive while you're connected, but hey, how often do you really need that floppy?

It's a neat idea: the 292 MHz G3 PowerBooks aren't just really fast laptops; they're really fast computers. Period. There's no real reason a G3 PowerBook couldn't double as your full-time desktop powerhouse system, especially now that you can give it a whopping seven PCI slots. That's more than any shipping Mac has ever offered. So let's hear it: anyone out there planning to do full-scale high-end video production work on a PCI-enabled PowerBook? Now that would be cool.

:allears:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

:allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I bought ram for that sawtooth 3 different times over 5 years, managing to hit close or on a low pricing point each time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy poo poo!

is that yours? does the lisa boot?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

is that yours? does the lisa boot?

it is!

I haven't booted the Lisa for ~11 years now, but it booted in 2003! the only issue was a slow vertical roll of the screen, which might be as simple a fix as adjusting a potentiometer.

after moving cross-country and then a couple more times since I came to the bay, who knows if it does. even so, virtually anything other than its HD should be easily reparable since it's almost all 7400-series logic with a few PROMs and maybe the occasional PAL.

I thought I posted some pics of it and its innards (well, its CPU, I/O, and memory boards) earlier. I want to replace the RAM boards with something providing like 8MB to avoid swapping in use, which would make it much faster. it'd probably be a good idea for me to look into the ProFile HD protocol at some point, too, so as to replace that with something that can use an SD card.

i now have a Mac Floppy Emu (the brown box in front of the Mac IIci) so I can at least use that instead of physical disks to reload the Lisa with the Office System from the disk images I have on an old Technical Information Source CD.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:swoon:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

nice pile of useless garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Smythe posted:

no smythe, there's no android phone in that picture

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

no smythe, there's no android phone in that picture

old macs are garbage. always have been. punt that rubbish into the nearest garbage can. do not horde trash.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

ML

YP!

:haw:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BeOS Bitches!

whoa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

old macs are garbage. always have been. punt that rubbish into the nearest garbage can. do not horde trash.

oh, you :allears:

also, only one of those is a Mac

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a theoretically functional mac II here. it doesn't have a hard drive (it's mfm i thing so odds are i'm not going to find one) and i don't have the display for it anymore

love that snow white design

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sharp as hell op

i miss being able to theme like this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

sharp as hell op

i miss being able to theme like this

i'm pretty sure windowblinds is still around if you really need some sick2wyckid desktop theming

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

i have a theoretically functional mac II here. it doesn't have a hard drive (it's mfm i thing so odds are i'm not going to find one) and i don't have the display for it anymore

it's SCSI, you can get a drive for cheap

and for the display, you can get a VGA adaptor and most multisync displays with VGA input will handle Mac frequencies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

it's SCSI, you can get a drive for cheap

and for the display, you can get a VGA adaptor and most multisync displays with VGA input will handle Mac frequencies

oh, in that case i already have a drive for it. for some reason i thought it was the slot-style mfm connector, not scsi.

the display connector is a db-9 connector, i have no idea what the video format is though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

oh, in that case i already have a drive for it. for some reason i thought it was the slot-style mfm connector, not scsi.

just be sure to tweak the Apple HD SC Setup utility that doesn't check for an Apple-firmware drive (usually it's just a single-byte tweak)

also good luck with booting from floppy if you only have a double-density drive, writing GCR disks is hard without an older Mac. what model Mac II is it?

quote:

the display connector is a db-9 connector, i have no idea what the video format is though.

are you sure it's DB-9, not DB-15?

unless it's a third party card for a specialty monitor like one of the old Radius or RasterOps full- or two-page displays, it should be a DB-15 and output something fairly close to VGA's 640×480 signal.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

just be sure to tweak the Apple HD SC Setup utility that doesn't check for an Apple-firmware drive (usually it's just a single-byte tweak)

also good luck with booting from floppy if you only have a double-density drive, writing GCR disks is hard without an older Mac. what model Mac II is it?

are you sure it's DB-9, not DB-15?

unless it's a third party card for a specialty monitor like one of the old Radius or RasterOps full- or two-page displays, it should be a DB-15 and output something fairly close to VGA's 640×480 signal.

it's a radius full-page nubus card. 800K and high-density drives, all the memory slots are populated but i don't know the simm size, at a guess it's 4MB total.

i definitely don't have a scsi drive with that connector though, but i know where i might find one. as far as the discs go, i have a working mac classic i can use and a good set of the original disk utilities and system disks from system 7

pictures incoming!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
hello, i am here

old macs own because some ppls throw them out and then other ppl pay big hella money for em

also 68k > pentium,, suck it smythe!! :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it's a radius full-page nubus card. 800K and high-density drives, all the memory slots are populated but i don't know the simm size, at a guess it's 4MB total.

sweet! I don't remember if you're in the Bay Area, if you are I can hand you a spare Toby Framebuffer (original Mac II video card, does VGA-ish 640x480) or equivalent SuperMac card.

quote:

i definitely don't have a scsi drive with that connector though, but i know where i might find one.

WeirdStuff has a bunch of old Mac SCSI drives for not-so-cheap (:tenbux: or more)

HSC has more modern ones, like multi-GB 10K RPM SCSI-2 and SCSI-3 drives, for dirt cheap but you'd need an adaptor

quote:

pretty!

does it have a PMMU? what rev ROM? (I guess "latest" if it has the FDHD upgrade)

• Locked thread