Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, I recognized Claudia Black's voice for Morrigan . Did she do the VA for the earlier game?

Yes, Both DA:O and the Witch Hunt DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ActusRhesus posted:

Solas is a huge racist. Some dialogue apparently gives you the option to just punch him.

Taking this option is cool, and good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Solas realizing a qunari inquisitor is not One of the Good Ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4OkZun3VA

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

exquisite tea posted:

There should be a dialogue to punch him at any point like with kicking out Sera.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mustang posted:

It's the Qun Solas has a beef with, not the race. He says something completely different if you don't side with the Qun in Iron Bulls quest.

He argues with Iron Bull about the Qun throughout the game.

Kind of like someone who has a problem with Muslims but not Arabs?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mustang posted:

It's the Qun Solas has a beef with, not the race. He says something completely different if you don't side with the Qun in Iron Bulls quest.

He has strong words for Gatt during bull's quest, too, but bull asks him to stop before it goes too far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mustang posted:

Watch the punching Solas video, he clearly feels that way about all ethnic Qunari.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I'll admit my hatred of Solas is a little irrational because he looks very much like a knife eared version of an rear end in a top hat I used to work with who was a brown nosing piece of personality-less excrement married to a batshit crazy birther.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

S'ok, Solas is a huge rear end in a top hat. He spends the entire game lecturing people and conveniently forgets to mention that the entire mess they're in, the one that's nearly destroying the world, is all his fault. It wouldn't be so bad if he was just a walking bucket of hubris, but added together with his endless moralizing? Yeah, gently caress that guy.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

Solas realizing a qunari inquisitor is not One of the Good Ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ4OkZun3VA
That really should have read [right hook]

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, I think I actually feel more sympathy for Corypheus than Solas, come to finish. Corypheus was mostly just a sad monster, having a crisis of faith. Broken and worthless. Solas on the other hand probably has just as many dead bodies on his conscience, but persists in believing that this time he can fix everything, he swears!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Solas calls your whole race thuggish or whatever even if you're not Qunari there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here's something interesting; you can actually get different/extra judgment choices depending on the personality you've chosen throughout the game.

If you've fully embraced your role as the Herald of Andraste, there's actually an option to forgive someone in Andraste's name (upper left). Later on you can also send Florianne to live in a convent.

If you've been skeptical about that role, and about the Chantry in general? Same judgment, but no religious options are possible.

:doink:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason to not take a class specialization? Like a hidden damage bonus or something, or are they straight upgrades over the default skill trees?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Everyone who defends the Qun is a mindless soulless drone. :colbert: Not that Solas doesn't have issues on his own, but he's interesting and he has some good ideals.

As for Corypheus, he is very interesting to me. He's going through the ultimate existential crisis. Not only did his gods not exist, their version of Satan, the Maker, did not either. There were no gods, and he'd lived his life as a priest, very immersed in that religious mind set. To find out that there's nothing worth having faith for, that there is no destiny, is what broke him. And so in his mind, he's like if there are no gods, we must create our own to have a reason to live. It's...an understandable viewpoint of sorts. And I feel it would've been a great way to add some philosophical debates in the game if you talked to him more or got to acknowledge the Herald as a being to subvert the idea of gods or destiny.

Also it was mentioned earlier but where does it hint the Black City is Arlathan? I'd love a twist like that if it were true, but I didn't see anything to hint at that. My whole theory on the Elven cosmology is that when the elves started warring among each other, I'm guessing likely as a religious war, Fen'herral locked away the gods to try and spare them that. Along the opposite lines of Corypheus there. If there are no gods you assholes won't have any reason to fight! Of course, he was wrong but there you go. And then the Old Gods vanished when Corypheus and co entered the Fade, not when Fen'herral banished the Elven ones, since the lore said that the Old Gods were very active in helping Tevinter beat the elves. Though the idea of Solas giving Corypheus the orb when he originally entered the Fade in a way to try and undue his mistake is interesting. Or are you implying he gave it to him recently? The way Solas acted it seemed to be he gave Corypheus the orb a while ago, not recently, but hey maybe he is as much of an rear end in a top hat ignorant of the consequences of his actions as you all say.

Also the fact that we never see the Black City in this game is bollocks.

e: Class specs are just more abilities/synergies, focus abilities and such. All your companions, if you recruited them all, show case the various specs, so look at the companions that are your class and see their goodies and then decide.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah the Qun is a pretty terrible system, can't blame Solas for hating it, it's not very likeable to begin with.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you bring Varric and Solas around enough Varric actually manages to convince Solas of his point of view (stop seeing living life as giving up), it's pretty cool.

I actually feel kind of bad for Cassandra since she reaches out to Varric a lot, both in banter and in plot, but Varric snubs her every time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you bring Varric and Solas around enough Varric actually manages to convince Solas of his point of view (stop seeing living life as giving up), it's pretty cool.

I actually feel kind of bad for Cassandra since she reaches out to Varric a lot, both in banter and in plot, but Varric snubs her every time.

It's nice to see Varric being a bit of a character flaw, in that he'll carry grudges for a long time actually. He isn't overtly mean about it, like he still does write a new chapter in his romance novel for her, but he just can't forgive her for the kidnapping and interrogation of him. As much as Varric is a chill bro, it is nice to see that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Eimi posted:

It's nice to see Varric being a bit of a character flaw, in that he'll carry grudges for a long time actually. He isn't overtly mean about it, like he still does write a new chapter in his romance novel for her, but he just can't forgive her for the kidnapping and interrogation of him. As much as Varric is a chill bro, it is nice to see that.

Well maybe he'd be more forgiving if she hadn't force fed him hummus via his rectum.

Too soon?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lotish posted:

He has strong words for Gatt during bull's quest, too, but bull asks him to stop before it goes too far.
Dorian also has strong words with Gatt during this mission.

I aptly defused the situation by saying that both the Qun and the vints are bad :smug:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 11, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When Blackwall's plot is done, Solas all but curses him out in their banter, calling him the worst sort of coward. Later on he apologizes, stating that he shouldn't have said those things and what Blackwall did was actually very brave. It's implied that he sees a lot of his own situation in Blackwall.

He also rags on you if you're a Dalish elf, but will later come around and wonder if he's been wrong about your people all this time.

Solas is honestly pretty open to apologies and changes of opinion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BrianWilly posted:

He also rags on you if you're a Dalish elf, but will later come around and wonder if he's been wrong about your people all this time.

In my playthrough, he gets upset if you just unthinkingly go "hell yeah Dalish own", but if you start to question why things are that way or this is done and so on he's okay with it. Mostly he just hates blind support of a group or idea.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

He does eventually forgive her, or less. Near the end of their banter arc it's less vengeful needling and more modest ribbing.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Should I romance Iron Bull or Solas?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm at 36 hours played, and the game is such an improvement over DA2. I especially like the characters, with the exception of Sera. Cassandra is basically a D&D paladin done right, she reminds me a bit of Keldorn from BG2. Iron Bull is my bro. Varric was one of my default party members in DA2 and is still great. I thought I would hate Cole, but he is actually a genuinely adorable... person. Vivienne is an awesome character, she has class. Solas is the freedom loving apostate who is always courteous. Dorian is fabulous, but I actually don't mind it at all. And I like sarcastic characters in general, so it all works out. Blackwall seems stoic and dependable, but I'm taking him on the Grey Warden quests I'm currently doing and there is definitely something fishy going on.

My character is a goody two-shoes mage, and most of the time I take out Team Good, namely Cassandra, Cole and Solas. They have some adorable banter with each other, and going around the zones and doing good with them makes me really fuzzy inside :3:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

In my playthrough, he gets upset if you just unthinkingly go "hell yeah Dalish own", but if you start to question why things are that way or this is done and so on he's okay with it. Mostly he just hates blind support of a group or idea.

Yes, and I'm sure Solas would have just casually stepped aside no hard feelings if you didn't manage to destroy the orb. You can't watch the end scene and come away with the impression that he was just gonna live and let live .

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Should I romance Iron Bull or Solas?

Solas if you're an elven lady (and Bull will find other company). Otherwise, ride the Bull.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, and I'm sure Solas would have just casually stepped aside no hard feelings if you didn't manage to destroy the orb. You can't watch the end scene and come away with the impression that he was just gonna live and let live .

What orb? I'm only to gathering power for "What Pride Had Wrought".

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Torrannor posted:

My character is a goody two-shoes mage, and most of the time I take out Team Good, namely Cassandra, Cole and Solas. They have some adorable banter with each other, and going around the zones and doing good with them makes me really fuzzy inside :3:

Oh man...someone needs to tell him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

S'ok, Solas is a huge rear end in a top hat. He spends the entire game lecturing people and conveniently forgets to mention that the entire mess they're in, the one that's nearly destroying the world, is all his fault. It wouldn't be so bad if he was just a walking bucket of hubris, but added together with his endless moralizing? Yeah, gently caress that guy.

If you befriend him, at least, you can tell that he actually does feel hypocritical about it all. He feels terrible about what he did and wants to make up for it, but has no idea how to do so. He admits to his guilty conscience in a few veiled ways, especially if you befriend him--there are some conversations towards the end of the game when he starts to lose some of his composure about it and you can comfort or inspire him without necessarily knowing why he needed it. I can't blame him too much for keeping his involvement a secret. "Hey, guys, turns out I'm actually Fen'Harel and also this is all my fault. No biggie, right? We can go beat up Corypheus together, right? No...?"

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I am running around with Sera, Vivienne, and Cassandra. Sera and Vivienne have hilarious back & forth dialogue and Cassandra is such a prick.

I just got to Skyhold. I have forever left to play in the game. I'm taking it slow as balls. I almost finished Hinterlands and may head back to Storm Coast because I just love looking at everything in this game. There is no game anywhere near this game in level of graphics currently and it is a joy to behold with everything maxed out graphically. Something was kind of annoying to Me though that was the motion blur was not an option to disable... motion blur sucks. Thankfully you can turn it off though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Eimi posted:

It's definitely good to see that he is flawed, either because he isn't telling a story about himself and/or his time in Kirkwall has changed him. It's also good to see that he has a different dynamic with Inquisitor than he does with Hawke - he's definitely Hawke's best bro (not sure how it goes if they're rivals).

It's surprising because like Aveline, I didn't think I'd like Cassandra at first, but I'm warming up to her. Cass doesn't have someone to play off like Aveline did (the Aveline/Isabela interactions were gold), but overall I think she's one of the more nuanced characters in the game.

I don't think the group dynamic is as good as DA2, but to me it is better than DAO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think he has good intentions, whatever else is there. He may be well-intentioned and misguided, but I think he's well-intentioned. His late-game conversations with the Inquisitor paint the picture of someone who has made terrible mistakes and wants to fix them, and genuinely wants to make things better. He starts questioning whether it's too late eventually and you can inspire him to keep trying, which, y'know, may or may not be a good thing for the world, but Solas doesn't strike me as power-hungry or blind to consequences the way Morrigan can be.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

To be fair, gently caress the Qun

B-But it gives everyone a clear, distinct PURPOshut the gently caress up. It felt so good killing the gently caress out of the dude in DA2.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So what's a good reaver strategy? Right now I'm basically just using whirlwind with all of the -cooldown and +stamina perks I can get, and throwing in a devour whenever I stop spinning, but I suspect there is a more reavery way and I want to give it a shot. The Herald has got to be dizzy by now.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's definitely good to see that he is flawed, either because he isn't telling a story about himself and/or his time in Kirkwall has changed him. It's also good to see that he has a different dynamic with Inquisitor than he does with Hawke - he's definitely Hawke's best bro (not sure how it goes if they're rivals).

It's surprising because like Aveline, I didn't think I'd like Cassandra at first, but I'm warming up to her. Cass doesn't have someone to play off like Aveline did (the Aveline/Isabela interactions were gold), but overall I think she's one of the more nuanced characters in the game.

I don't think the group dynamic is as good as DA2, but to me it is better than DAO.

Actually both TheIron Bull and Blackwall kind of flirt with Cass. It's all "so, tell me more about what metal you like to make swords from when you kill people" and "kudos to you for having real armor, not boob armor." But the subtext is very much "I want us to pork, warrior princess."

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 11, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Harrow posted:

If you befriend him, at least, you can tell that he actually does feel hypocritical about it all. He feels terrible about what he did and wants to make up for it, but has no idea how to do so. He admits to his guilty conscience in a few veiled ways, especially if you befriend him--there are some conversations towards the end of the game when he starts to lose some of his composure about it and you can comfort or inspire him without necessarily knowing why he needed it. I can't blame him too much for keeping his involvement a secret. "Hey, guys, turns out I'm actually Fen'Harel and also this is all my fault. No biggie, right? We can go beat up Corypheus together, right? No...?"

Problem is, even though he feels bad about it, he doesn't learn from it. It's clear he's going to keep right on meddling and imposing his will. I'm sure the next time he fucks up and kills a bunch more people he'll be super duper sorry about it all over again, because his arrogance won't permit him to be anything other than paternalistic. That scene with the Dalish tattoos is a perfect example. He's the only person who knows or even cares what the used to mean, but he just can't help but be a superior jerk and making GBS threads all over the culture of a person he professes to care about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Problem is, even though he feels bad about it, he doesn't learn from it. It's clear he's going to keep right on meddling and imposing his will. I'm sure the next time he fucks up and kills a bunch more people he'll be super duper sorry about it all over again, because his arrogance won't permit him to be anything other than paternalistic. That scene with the Dalish tattoos is a perfect example. He's the only person who knows or even cares what the used to mean, but he just can't help but be a superior jerk and making GBS threads all over the culture of a person he professes to care about.

I think what annoys him about the Dalish is their insistence that they're the "true elves," when Solas knows that no, they're no more "true" elves than city elves. And to him, they're worse, because at least city elves aren't running around professing to be carrying on the legacy of an ancient, proud culture. He's definitely a dick about it, but I think it's understandable.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Sera and Solas have some pretty good banter.

It mostly consists of:

Solas: *something pretentious about ancient elven heritage*
Sera: *farting sound.*
Solas: *butthurt*
Sera: that's what you sound like. *another farting sound.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair to Solas he is the one person on Thedas to know what a true elf is. It'd be kind of like taking a Tea Partier to George Washington, and watching George show them how wrong their ideas are. :v:

• Locked thread