Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

Its fun to reflect at this moment that Blizzard wanted to pay money to GW for warcraft.

:lol:

GW finally started putting out some decent licensed games of their own like ten years later, but can you imagine? If Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was called Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Starcraft was Warhammer 40K the RTS, then World of Warcraft would have been Warhammer Online instead and GW would be earning millions of dollars of royalties every single month.

To be fair, it might not have been as successful as the 'crafts have been. GW are notoriously finnicky about their IPs, and would never have agreed to the storylines that Blizzard came up with.

Besides, space cowboys are infinitely more relatable than space Margaret Thatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Noyemi K posted:

It came from YKS! But it looked suitably awful so I thought I'd share.

[insert my usual goony screed about how people have been genetically modifying plants for millenia here]

Whenever someone goes full retard on "GMO" I feign hysteria over the fact millions of Americans have a genetically modified WOLF in their own home, playing with their children. How is that safe?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Noyemi K posted:

It came from YKS! But it looked suitably awful so I thought I'd share.

[insert my usual goony screed about how people have been genetically modifying plants for millenia here]

With illustrations like this, I'm sure it's going to be the most 'vibrant' book about dangers of GMO.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh gently caress OFF.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Paladinus posted:

With illustrations like this, I'm sure it's going to be the most 'vibrant' book about dangers of GMO.

Nice fake Dr. Seuss font there, fuckers. He'd be rolling in his grave fast enough to power Manhattan.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

I love how it's not even minimalist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Nice fake Dr. Seuss font there, fuckers. He'd be rolling in his grave fast enough to power Manhattan.

Don't try to tell me that "roast beast" them Whos were eating wasn't GMO.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Why the gently caress does she need nearly 6000 pounds to cut and burn blocks of wood?

How the gently caress has she already collected just over half of that?

gently caress me.

e: Also good job timing your nativity set for wankers so that basically no-one will get it in time for this Christmas, idiot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe it's for Muslims who can't display a normal nativity set during Christmas because representational art is haram.

:downs:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How can I tell what the gently caress Baby Jesus is laying on without a label?

e. the more I look at it the more it looks like a loss.jpg kit

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The block jesus is on should have manger written on it. It's not a nativity scene without a manger.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Where are my smaller blocks representing the gold, frankincense, and myrrh?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TetsuoTW posted:

Where are my smaller blocks representing the gold, frankincense, and myrrh?

Gotta leave something for stretch goals.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Good thing for the DONKEY block. I can also use that for my minimalist Shrek diorama and my minimalist Democratic convention set.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Guys, I'm working on a Kickstarter for a minimalist recreation of the nightmare corpse-city R'lyeh and its cyclopean ruins, where sleeps the dread Cthulhu and his slithering horde:

It taps both the minimalist subculture and Lovecraft enthusiasts, so I'm thinking I can easily pull down $2 million.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that looks Euclidian as heck, reported as a scam

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm not quite sure about this other photo from that Kickstarter:

I don't remember a scene from the Bible where the sheep started slamming the donkey and the other two wise kings started double teaming Balthazar and I'm really sure there shouldn't be any Mary on Joseph action in that stable. Immersion ruined

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

Guys, I'm working on a Kickstarter for a minimalist recreation of the nightmare corpse-city R'lyeh and its cyclopean ruins, where sleeps the dread Cthulhu and his slithering horde:

It taps both the minimalist subculture and Lovecraft enthusiasts, so I'm thinking I can easily pull down $2 million.
Include an augmented reality iphone app that lets you place your city in various settings and/or have creatures roam around it and you could boost that to an easy $5 mill.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't remember a scene from the Bible where the sheep started slamming the donkey and the other two wise kings started double teaming Balthazar and I'm really sure there shouldn't be any Mary on Joseph action in that stable. Immersion ruined

That's the Evangelion configuration.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The kings are clearly standing on each other's shoulders to form the world's most giant wise man.

It must cost extra to resize the font for Baltha-
zar

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Octarine Dream posted:

The kings are clearly standing on each other's shoulders to form the world's most giant wise man.

WISE KING VOLTRON ACTIVATE!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Octarine Dream posted:

Unite CHRIST!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
If only there was a way to look even more pretentious while writing at Starbucks!

My favorite part is how you can only see one paragraph at a time.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Unite CHRIST!

The e-ink screen latency would drive me mad.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Dec 11, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I like the idea behind this, lack of distractions is one of the reasons I prefer an eink e-reader over iPad for reading, but the execution is just terrible.

Yes, eink does provide a really long battery life, but in situations where the screen is constantly refreshing (typing), the screen refresh would drive me batty.

I bet it doesn't even have the processor power or newer style eink screen to reduce the maddening refresh response times. Heck, you can see it doesn't in the demo gifs they provide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would like to see a keyboard like that as an attachment for tablets and such. I need good tactile feedback to do fast touch-typing like I'm doing right now, and the usual detachable keyboards you see to try and turn your iPad into a laptop (in the greatest ironic purchase of all time) are too thin and the keys are sometimes of an unusual width. While it would be more bulky, it would be a lot easier to use than touchscreens or lovely thin keyboards. And don't even get me started on how uncomfortable laser keyboards are.

That said, buy a loving laptop.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ahahahaha it's an alphasmart! We used to use those in the 90s in elementary school to write papers.

Brilliant. Selling a piece of outdated 90s tech for the price of a modern low-end laptop.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rosalind posted:

Ahahahaha it's an alphasmart! We used to use those in the 90s in elementary school to write papers.

Brilliant. Selling a piece of outdated 90s tech for the price of a modern low-end laptop.

Somehow worse than outdated 90s tech since I can actually see more on the alphasmart.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Kickstarter: Like the stuff you had in the 90's, but worse.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
or you could spend 80 cents on a notepad and a ballpoint pen. Does no one write in longhand anymore?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm just waiting for someone to hack Doom onto there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fatkraken posted:

or you could spend 80 cents on a notepad and a ballpoint pen. Does no one write in longhand anymore?

Shorthand, sure. Longhand is for letters, gregg's is for everything else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

chitoryu12 posted:

I would like to see a keyboard like that as an attachment for tablets and such. I need good tactile feedback to do fast touch-typing like I'm doing right now, and the usual detachable keyboards you see to try and turn your iPad into a laptop (in the greatest ironic purchase of all time) are too thin and the keys are sometimes of an unusual width. While it would be more bulky, it would be a lot easier to use than touchscreens or lovely thin keyboards. And don't even get me started on how uncomfortable laser keyboards are.

I likethis one, though it's definitely not designed to be backpacked all over the place.

My gf has this other one that she likes a lot for grad school and the typing feel is surprisingly pretty great for how thin it is.

Neither of them require you to commit to a bulky-rear end keyboard case that defeats the whole purpose of having a tablet whenever you aren't writing a paper on it.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Dec 11, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

There are bluetooth mechanical keyboards

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

quote:

The mother of Gish, who knows all things, Spoke to Gish: "Some one, O Gish

Hmm, long, perilous, ultimately futile, and unfulfilling quests plus the hemingwrite: a match made in hipster heaven

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rosalind posted:

Plus this has a bigger screen than the "Hemingwrite." Seriously. Hemingwrite. Ernest Hemingway would stab these people in the eyes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

None of these solve the problem of "Why not buy a proper laptop?" I mean, you're already paying almost the same for an iPad Air and keyboard as you would for a laptop with the same or greater power.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 11, 2014

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm going in at the super custom level so I can have my hemingwrite cast into a single piece of bronze and then have them put all sorts of knobs, jacob's ladders, and sprockets all over it so I can have a Grommet & Son's Patented Penumatic Grammatikal Engine to lord over the Oly coffee house scene. What hemingwrite are you guys going to get???

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

chitoryu12 posted:

None of these solve the problem of "Why not buy a proper laptop?" I mean, you're already paying almost the same for an iPad Air and keyboard as you would for a laptop with the same or greater power.
"No distractions"

Like so many other aspiring artistic types, writers think they can buy their way out of lacking mental discipline or talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011
These are like easy-bake ovens for nanowrimo people.

You can't type like this! Or this! Or this!