Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

david carmichael posted:

if he was taking this at all seriously, why would he not want to use that extra time to prepare

Again, your talking about a guy who nearly died from an undiagnosed MRSA infection, who's knees were trashed at the end of his pro-wrestling career from constant abuse, and who has been on the road 260+ days a year for the past 10+ years, 300+ days for the past 3. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to sit on a couch for half a year while he heals, gets married, figures out how best to make the transition, and waits for his legal matters to get settled. Plus he's not a guy who can just walk into any MMA gym in Chicago without a huge target immediately put on his back and douchebags trying to break the fake wrestlers arm. It's half the reason why he's only rolled with Rener out in LA.

david carmichael posted:

its the brock lesnar thing: if he hasn't taken it seriously up till now, what makes you believe he's gonna start

He's talked about buying a condo in whatever city the gym he's settled on is located in so he can train twice a day. He's been rolling with Rener twice a day in LA since the UFC deal was in negotiations. He's stopped eating like poo poo and dropped 15lbs off his walking around weight already. Plus, he can't really just start turning up in MMA Gyms without word getting out that he's going to be fighting and ruining the UFC announcement. (Assuming he was actually going to be announced at the Reebok thing.) I think you have to wait a little bit and see how he does in a camp before we can talk about how he is or isn't taking it seriously. Punk's a smart guy, he knows and has admitted he's behind the curb, but he's also someone who sets goals and works ruthlessly towards them with determination. (As evidenced by his wrestling career.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Again, your talking about a guy who nearly died from an undiagnosed MRSA infection, who's knees were trashed at the end of his pro-wrestling career from constant abuse, and who has been on the road 260+ days a year for the past 10+ years, 300+ days for the past 3. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to sit on a couch for half a year while he heals, gets married, figures out how best to make the transition, and waits for his legal matters to get settled.

Punk's a smart guy, he knows and has admitted he's behind the curb, but he's also someone who sets goals and works ruthlessly towards them with determination. (As evidenced by his wrestling career.)

Yeah.

Please keep in mind guys I'm not predicting greatness or even competence from him.

He's a 36 year old beat up pro wrestler with no legit background other than sporadically rolling with Rener and athleticism was never considered his strong suit to begin with. There's plenty of obvious reasons to doubt him before questioning the one thing he actually has going for him(access to top level training and the time/money to devote himself to it full time).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 11, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Well for example this dude started training some karate when 17 years old, had a short (but rather successfull) amateur career later while doing some Golden Gloves on the side and basically came up from nowhere to beat up guys like Stoica and Schilling in K1! So anything is possible! Because most of the time that just shouldn't happen, at least not in the way it did. He could beat those two? How?

But even his credentials outshine those of Punks by... I dunno. The walk from moon to mars.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Literally everybody's credentials outshine CM Punks.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
:10bux: says punk ends up with greg jackson

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

1st AD posted:

It's gonna be funny when he looks worse than James Toney.

This would be expected though.

MycroftXXX posted:

:10bux: says punk ends up with greg jackson

In the RS article it seemed like he wanted to stay local. Maybe he'll end up with Jeff Curran.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Literally everybody's credentials outshine CM Punks.

it's pretty cool that a black belt in tae kwon doe, wearing a singlet in wrasslin' competition 15 years ago, regular cardio and resistance training and being less physically mangled might actually make me more qualified than this guy. oh, also a working thinker in my skull that tells me "don't do that, no matter how much you want to. you'll get hurt"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If you ever contracted ring worm it means you're better off than CM Punk is right now

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This really is pretty much the most ridiculous thing possible. Even the pride and dream freak shows usually involved guys with some sort of background in a martial art. Even Jose canseco had more of a fighting pedigree

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 11, 2014

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Part of me thinks this is all a big work and CM Punk is going to do in UFC what Andy Kaufman did in Memphis 30 years ago. (Only, ya know, not the "beating up women" part.)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
You're a big ol' dummy then frankly

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Aesop Poprock posted:

This really is pretty much the most ridiculous thing possible. Even the pride and dream freak shows usually involved guys with some sort of background in a martial art. Even Jose canseco had more of a fighting pedigree

Is it the best move for the UFC as a sport? gently caress no. It's pretty awful, and his fighting career could turn out horribly. Especially if you think of the UFC as MLB and every other promotion as the minors. (Even Jordan didn't jump right into the MLB when he played baseball)

Is it the best business move for the UFC? Absolutely. They just locked up a guy with huge name value, who can't go to any of the competition or back to WWE. He's going to pop a buy rate with his first fight and Dana and Lorenzo aren't stupid, they know how good he is in front of a camera/with a microphone. If his fight career doesn't work out, he's going to make a killer commentator/analyst/host for any number of shows they produce because he's a huge MMA nerd.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Y'all are going to look really stupid when Punk's going on his fifth year of holding all the UFC belts at the same time.

fart blood posted:

Part of me thinks this is all a big work and CM Punk is going to do in UFC what Andy Kaufman did in Memphis 30 years ago. (Only, ya know, not the "beating up women" part.)

Rousey would probably tap Punk.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fart blood posted:

im sorry did you say UFC and WORK??>??????>?>?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Gonzo McFee posted:

Y'all are going to look really stupid when Punk's going on his fifth year of holding all the UFC belts at the same time.

She'd knock him out before

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Seriously though I hope he trains with a good camp and not just in his local gym with loving Ace Steel.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Viper_3000 posted:

If his fight career doesn't work out, he's going to make a killer commentator/analyst/host for any number of shows they produce because he's a huge MMA nerd.

It's not outside of the realm of possibility that he gets knocked so senseless that, combined with the brain injuries he already has, he ends up talking like Rocky in Rocky II.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You're a big ol' dummy then frankly

I was being a little facetious.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

fart blood posted:

"You see, I'm smart. I'm from Chicago."

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

The only probable thing about it would be if she managed to knock him into another dimension before she broke his arm off.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be fair, she'd likely tap a lot of the UFC roster.

Edit: I still think Punk will have to fight a literal can to look good, even though I want him to win and be safe.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is true of many men who are actually good at grappling and not white belts with friends in high places. It occurs to me that Rousey also works with Rener and Ryron so there's a non-zero chance that Rousey has tapped Punk.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Punk should fight two midgets, or a chimpanzee. It would be both more entertaining and more traditional, while no less legit, than the half drugged 150 pound can he will fight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

Is it the best move for the UFC as a sport? gently caress no. It's pretty awful, and his fighting career could turn out horribly. Especially if you think of the UFC as MLB and every other promotion as the minors. (Even Jordan didn't jump right into the MLB when he played baseball)

Is it the best business move for the UFC? Absolutely. They just locked up a guy with huge name value, who can't go to any of the competition or back to WWE. He's going to pop a buy rate with his first fight and Dana and Lorenzo aren't stupid, they know how good he is in front of a camera/with a microphone. If his fight career doesn't work out, he's going to make a killer commentator/analyst/host for any number of shows they produce because he's a huge MMA nerd.

I love punk and am irrationally stoked about him being involved with UFC, I just can't imagine any way this doesn't turn out absolutely cringeworthy in regards to him actually fighting. Punk on UFC commentary would be insanely good though

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

projecthalaxy posted:

Punk should fight two midgets

agreed he may stand a slightly better chance against dean malenko and the corpse of benoit

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I love punk and am irrationally stoked about him being involved with UFC, I just can't imagine any way this doesn't turn out absolutely cringeworthy in regards to him actually fighting. Punk on UFC commentary would be insanely good though

Punk doing literally anything in UFC apart from fighting would probably be a great, long lasting asset to the UFC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Punk should fight two midgets, or a chimpanzee. It would be both more entertaining and more traditional, while no less legit, than the half drugged 150 pound can he will fight.

He could hang with the midgets, but the chimp would probably tear his face off.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Commentating is really really hard, watch any b-league MMA show for examples. Or Goldie half the time tbqf

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Commentating is really really hard, watch any b-league MMA show for examples. Or Goldie half the time tbqf

Joe Rogan! My diet soda!!!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Punk was a very, very good wrestling commentator. Chances are that Punk would be a good MMA announcer.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Punk was a very, very good wrestling commentator. Chances are that Punk would be a good MMA announcer.

what

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No he's right. Replace Mike Goldberg with Jesse Ventura

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Gus Johnson is a good football and basketball announcer, therefore he will be a good MMA announcer

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Commentator, even.

Punk's biggest asset is that he's really good at talking, he's been watching MMA for over a decade at least, he has experience in commentating, chances are that he'd be a good MMA commentator.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jim Ross did great on that event with Chael.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Like I know yall like the guy a whole bunch but are you loving serious anymore or am I getting poo poo thrown way over my head.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Punk's wrestling commentary was mostly him saying things to amuse himself during horrible segments he wasnt very good at calling the action. I'm not sure this would translate to MMA unless he was riffing on d-league fights

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Like I know yall like the guy a whole bunch but are you loving serious anymore or am I getting poo poo thrown way over my head.

Punk knows mma and was a very good commentator. I think he will be a horrible mma fighter but he's one of the best talkers and commentators in wrestling, is verbally and mentally quick and is knowledgable about how things work in mixed martial arts. I would be legit shocked if he wasn't at least good at it. JR isn't nearly as well versed in how mma works as punk is and he was still decent at it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ive seen the guy, and I have to say I find it hard to believe that he's good at anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Punk's wrestling commentary was mostly him saying things to amuse himself during horrible segments he wasnt very good at calling the action. I'm not sure this would translate to MMA unless he was riffing on d-league fights

That was nxt, he's done tons of commentating in Indy promotions and he was great at it

• Locked thread