Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

backers
$232,274
pledged of $250,000 goal
days to go

Can someone please start a nuclear war already? Humanity doesn't deserve to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

None of these solve the problem of "Why not buy a proper laptop?" I mean, you're already paying almost the same for an iPad Air and keyboard as you would for a laptop with the same or greater power.

Didn't you watch the video?

It's because you have literally zero discipline and will be unable to do anything but browse facebook when you take your laptop down to the local starbucks to work.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Do regular laptops have analog switch things and a giant red button? Check and mate Mr. Skeptical. :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
IDK, plenty of legit authors of my acquaintance are helped by things that cut down distractions-- some even to the point of the Alphasmart Neo solution. Screen size isn't a huge deal for that sort of solution because you edit/spellcheck/clean typos once you transfer to a computer.

That being said, the Hemmingwrite is still waaaaay too much machine for that task, and at that price, geez.

Basically the concept isn't bankrupt, but the product is still ludicrous.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
A giant, bulky lump of plastic with minimal functionality, destined to be used once or twice and then exiled to the dark corner of a closet.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

You've already bought one haven't you?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
No, but I did buy an overpriced minimalist coffee maker once.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

chitoryu12 posted:

None of these solve the problem of "Why not buy a proper laptop?" I mean, you're already paying almost the same for an iPad Air and keyboard as you would for a laptop with the same or greater power.

Do you think I get electricity in my artisinal zero-impact upcycled zen study dungeon? It's going to take more than 3-5 hours depending on brightness to impart my wisdom to the world, I need something that can keep up.

Is there a way to waterproof one of those Alphasmart devices? I want to do Deep Sea Dérive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

if you want to look like a giant hipster then you need to care about the aesthetic and not make it look like a cheap plastic toy

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh hey, I was supplied one of these every year through school because I'm dysgraphic!

e:f;b

Edit:Haha, the latest model (from 2003) has a all of these features, more storage space, and a larger screen. The things are also durable as hell, and are probably a lot cheaper now.

Repackaging existing products for hipsters is a loving goldmine.

Edit 2:

quote:

You can backspace and review your work with page up/page down, but there is no copying and paste. The intent is to force you to just keep going! If you aren’t happy with what you just wrote, you can write it again -- just like everyone had to before 1979

WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?

Pomp has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Dec 11, 2014

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

You can backspace and review your work with page up/page down, but there is no copying and paste. The intent is to force you to just keep going! If you aren’t happy with what you just wrote, you can write it again -- just like everyone had to before 1979

Pretty sure if you wrote something you liked, and decided to put it after another bit, you could just retype it from the page in front of you. Like, take that page, hold it next to your typewriter, and type it into the spot in the new page you want it. Can't do that on this piece of poo poo though, since you can only see like, half a paragraph at a time.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
"Part book launch, part social experiment! BE A PURPLE BANANA!"

Some more incomprehensible poo poo, see below

quote:

You’ve never seen anything so hosed up til you’ve seen the smartest man in the world flip the switch that destroyed the Earth so he could go gently caress his A.I. daughter in another dimension while the woman who loved him could do nothing but watch in horror as she fell into an alternate time space where she was forced to become God to escape.

And now he’s waking up, that motherfucker. He’s down in the base of some building somewhere in the mountains, outside of one of our cities, slagged into ruins after he screwed time and space for everyone by discovering something no one anywhere had ever imagined and called down some unholy hell from every corner of existence. From about a thousand dimensions no one had ever even imagined existed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The creator of the Minimalist Nativity responds to Your Kickstarter Sucks:

quote:

I am the creator of the Minimal Nativity Set. According to my stats you help the campaign. People following your trash blog actually understand the concept of the piece (obviously cleverer people than you) bought sets. Use yr brain 2 seconds to get that the project is about colours and therefore races. It has a deep meaning. But probably hard to understand for you as you probably just want to eat donuts and watch poo poo tv. what have you done with your life so far? reply emilie.voirinatgmaildotcom

Oh, it's OBVIOUSLY about colors and therefore races. And what have YOU done in your life compared to me, who burned words on a bunch of blocks of wood?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I think I figured out why I can't figure out Polarity guy's book idea.

quote:

This means that, speaking linearly, the first moment of time in any given timeline must always be the present, not the past — every conceivable timeline starts with a present moment, then there is a second present moment that looks back at the first present moment and says, "that is the past, relative to me."

This shows us two things. First, it shows us that our definition of time is inadequate for describing how time actually unfolds, because our definition requires that the past come before the present, when in actuality, the present must come first for the past to be able to exist at all.

Second, this shows us that past and future have no actual substance, because every single individual moment that occurs will always be a present moment, and any concept of past or future is just that: a concept, an idea linking two or more given present moments in a relative way.

"Let me be a pedantic gently caress about language to PROVE I am the superior intelligence on this planet." :smugbert:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, it's OBVIOUSLY about colors and therefore races. And what have YOU done in your life compared to me, who burned words on a bunch of blocks of wood?

I'm the kind of sad person this might almost appeal to. An arrangement of blocks that could be immediately identified as a nativity scene could almost be art, showing how the image is in so many peoples' minds. But labeling it completely ruins even that meager value. If you need to label the parts, you are removing the whole point of this exercise in minimalist representation.

Then again, if they didn't burn words into them, someone could just buy a cheap set of blocks. I mean, they still can, but it gives an illusion of doing something.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
^^^^exactly, labelling everything is the exact opposite of minimalist design, so it's pretty funny

Araenna posted:

Pretty sure if you wrote something you liked, and decided to put it after another bit, you could just retype it from the page in front of you. Like, take that page, hold it next to your typewriter, and type it into the spot in the new page you want it. Can't do that on this piece of poo poo though, since you can only see like, half a paragraph at a time.

Seriously, typewriters did have backspace keys, that's why they sold correction ribbon. And before that, white out. And before that, moving the setter back and typing a capital X over any section you don't want.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Dec 11, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rudager posted:

It's because you have literally zero discipline and will be unable to do anything but browse facebook when you take your laptop down to the local starbucks to work.

buy an old thinkpad for 50 bucks

open it up

Remove the wireless radio receiver

delete all applications except notepad (or wordpad if you're feeling SUPER posh)

give the other four hundred goddamned dollars to a charity that teaches deprived innercity kids to read and write

wait for one of them to write a better book than the introspective navel gazing piece of poo poo you'll invariably churn out

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
Did anyone notice this in the rewards on the Hemingwrite?

For $45 dollars on top of the price for the machine, they'll give you tools to destroy part of it.

A hammer and chisel at Home Depot can't possibly cost anywhere near $45, right?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Planet Piss posted:

For $45 dollars on top of the price for the machine, they'll give you tools to destroy part of it.

I think it is a joke. A funny, funny joke. That at some point, someone is going to pay $45 to be part of.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Planet Piss posted:

I think you can get a tiny hammer from Home Depot for like $5 and a chisel for like $3, but this train of thought requires creativity and originality, which are not words I would use to describe backers of the Hemingwrite.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

I think I figured out why I can't figure out Polarity guy's book idea.

"Let me be a pedantic gently caress about language to PROVE I am the superior intelligence on this planet." :smugbert:

quote:

Risks and challenges

The work on the actual material for the book is already complete; it just needs to go through a process of simplification and editing so that it will be as easy to understand as possible and, hopefully (although perhaps this is beyond my capacity) even entertaining!

At least he knows he's an insufferable oval office.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rudager posted:

Will this thing also destroy my smartphone? Because if not, it will fail miserably at keeping me not distracted. Also, even if you write some fiction, chances are you will still need to check something on the internet for it. And if you type your Uni assignment on this monster, you don't deserve a passing grade for any subject.

E: Here's some more dumb poo poo.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/466157185/tictactoe-madness

quote:

With this app you have the chance to play tictactoe. It will have 2 basic levels and 1 "crazy mode" level.

I don't gonna tell much about this mode but it is a whole new experience. The app is still gonna be in development so except more improvements, better designs and a better experience.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Dec 12, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

well he's not going to reveal the "crazy mode" just like that, that's not how idea men make their money

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a kickstarter for a remake of Hugo Gernsback's Isolator yet? It seems perfect for the unique brand of "I'm easily distracted" and "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" that the Hemingwrite appeals to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yep, her stats definitely show that being posted on YKS helps - she's made a whole 60 pounds since then! That's, like, just over one entire percent of her goal! ~~~haters gonna hate~~~

e: She's been selling these loving sets for two years, apparently. Why is this even a Kickstarter?

sub supau has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Dec 12, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's now funded. God please strike down every pretentious shithead that backed this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's now funded. God please strike down every pretentious shithead that backed this.

kill humans

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Evil Fluffy posted:

backers
$232,274
pledged of $250,000 goal
days to go

Can someone please start a nuclear war already? Humanity doesn't deserve to exist.

What's wrong with scamming morons?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RottenK posted:

He's not upset at the scammers; he's upset at the morons :smith:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RottenK posted:

It's one thing to be scamming morons deliberately, it's another thing to be accidentally scamming them because you're one of the morons too.

Also why the gently caress do such a huge number of these idiots get to have like $400+ to piss away on this poo poo?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jeez, these people

a lion would never spend its money this way

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just went to the Play store on my phone and did a search for "tic tac toe."

...I think we're good and set on that front, Kick starter guy.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Hey, look who's back: https://wfunder.com/project/185#basics

Good thing they learned from their previous campaign and aren't ripping off an IP they don't have any legal rights to this time!

...oh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Christian Knudsen posted:

Good thing they learned from their previous campaign and aren't ripping off an IP they don't have any legal rights to this time!

B-b-b-but!

quote:

Q. Do you have the rights to use the STALKER name?
A. We have registered a trademark for Stalker Apocalypse, and have every right to use it as our title. Stalker by itself is a common word, and anyone can use it.

Dream on.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Using Epic's logo in the bit where they talk about the game running on UE4 is begging for legal trouble

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"No, it's a common word! Just ignore the fact that we're mostly ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers and we write the name of the game as STALKER and the logo of the game says S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Don Gato posted:

Is there a kickstarter for a remake of Hugo Gernsback's Isolator yet? It seems perfect for the unique brand of "I'm easily distracted" and "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME" that the Hemingwrite appeals to.

Is that a tank of nitrous? Could. . . COULD it be a tank of nitrous? Tell me there's a way to attach this directly to my vape.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

"No, it's a common word! Just ignore the fact that we're mostly ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers and we write the name of the game as STALKER and the logo of the game says S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!"

Hey, isn't this the exact same nerr-nerr-same-word-slight-difference-you-can't-catch-me bullshit that gets freeman tasered outside courtrooms? :allears:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that's the same logic they used when they made Shadow of Chernobyl, since they didn't have the rights to using the movie Stalker they use S.T.A.L.K.E.R. because that's totally different. And since they weren't sued, it worked.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is that a tank of nitrous? Could. . . COULD it be a tank of nitrous? Tell me there's a way to attach this directly to my vape.

I assume that if it comes in a tank, you can hook it up to THE ISOLATOR. Gernsback wont' judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I went to the Kickstarter main page and hit discover and got the Hemingwrite as the first page. Came here to post the gold in the comments section but since you folks have already harped on the thing i'll let it go. Except for this:

a backer posted:

CONGRATULATIONS !!
Now, please, keep the Hemingwrite as it is. I already read suggestions of more files, passwords, PC-like displays: PLEASE DON'T!! This was not invented to be yet another i-phone clone. If you have something to write, you will need and you will appreciate the Hemingwrite. If you only want to LOOK like a Parisian Rive Gauche artsy-pastry, please go play Angry Birds on the latest Apple toy.