Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

KoRMaK posted:

This is a big thread and my google is failing me: Can you fine posters post your best IT closet room with equipment hanging from the ceiling and similar pictures?

Here you go. A major cable network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Is that what happens when you gut a rack?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

No that's standard practice for cable companies. Drop floor with about 6"'s of stacked cables.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

ratbert90 posted:

That's what happens when you disembowel a rack :catstare:

Edit: or drop floors without care

Edit2: Gut, not get... :downs:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

pr0digal posted:

So, my company is in the process of designing the building it will next inhabit. Our little 5-man IT group has had essentially free reign to design whatever we want for a little datacenter within reason. We really want drop floors because we don't have them now and it's a constant pain to route and re-route and re-re-route cables as we move racks and systems around.

The question: We merely ASSUMED that drop floor = tidy. Is it, in practice, the other way around? Out of sight, out of mind?

Is there a better way?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, have a drop floor and do it right the first time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Drop floor and ceiling trays are the perfect combo IMHO.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm getting off helpdesk (mostly, trial run) and into QA. Idea is that i'll be looking through code and finding root causes rather than going "oh, this doesn't work" and telling a dev like I do right now on a case by case basis. Tentative :yotj:

E: By getting into QA, new department is just me and will build off me. I'll likely lead it once it gets the the point of needing more people. Kinda cool

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, have a drop floor and do it right the first time.

Do it right the first time, and the keep doing it right EVERY time.

At my old job (at a broadcaster) they did it right the first time - back in 1988/89 - and then did it "meh" after that. It was a bitch to clean up when we went from SDI to IP recording.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

deimos posted:

Drop floor and ceiling trays are the perfect combo IMHO.

Yeah, back in my prehistoric times, used a combination of both in the data center. The drop floors were for fiber and power. The cable trays from the ceiling were for all the bundled copper wiring entering and leaving the racks.

But honestly, as long as you have some plan to physically manage the cables, you'll be a leg up on the majority of Data Center teams. Oh, and inspect any vendor work done and make them adhere to whatever your standard it. And buy a label maker.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

flosofl posted:

And buy a label maker.

This is the first and last step to any structured cabling setup. Nothing is better than a switch full of unlabeled fiber lines. Except when someone pulls the wrong one and half the datacenter fails over.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
A ticket came in.

User X wants a special piece of hardware. For the purposes of this post, let's call it a special keyboard. We're pretty drat accommodating and have a pretty darn large desktop / accessory budget; we order X the slick new keyboard. "Mail guys will receive it; they will email you when it's here." This is how we've always rolled. Close ticket.

Two days later: A ticket came in. Same ticket, reopened. "What's the ETA on the keyboard?"
"Well, X, probably no different from when we gave you the vendor's best estimate yesterday." (We phrased that more elegantly). We closed the ticket.

Next afternoon: A ticket came in. X's supervisor reopened the request. "What's the ETA on that keyboard?"
Same response: vendor estimated _date_, the mail room will email you when it gets here, have a nice afternoon. This question is little out of scope, fyi. We closed the ticket.

Christ, it's one of these. This poo poo happens every once in a while. All the diplomacy in the world doesn't help.

Morning after: A new ticket came in late last night. X's group's boss. "X put in a request for a disability-friendly (what the gently caress?) ergonomic keyboard two weeks ago. [Rudely] Did you not order it yet?"
Same response, from our own supervisor this time: Vendor estimated this date. No, we're not lying to you. [Diplomatically] We weren't aware that hypochondria was a disability, but we took your employee's word for it and ordered it right away without so much as a second guess. Yes, it needs to be received by the mail guys just like everything else that is procured. Yes, they will email you. This question is out of scope as we already told X what is going to happen. Closed ticket.

Day after: X drops by our mutual IT lab many times that day, each time peeking through the door from across the hall to see if one of us is alone. X is trying to isolate each IT team member, trying to catch us saying something different from the others. X is making up lies to the tune of, "Well, [this co-worker in your IT team] said xyz. I guess you're saying abc?"

She mustn't realize we eat lunch together pretty much every day. Most of us spend the majority of our day together in our IT mosh pit / lab. We're a small team, so we know when someone is playing the innocent "oh but the other guy said [something else]" game. Now, you can't just file into someone's office as a gang of five people and tell 'em to their face that they're a loving liar who is making an elaborate carnival puppet play out of something so petty it's honestly heart-wrenching how lonely you are you sad hollow shell of a drone.

We can play the innocent game too. Tried and true solution: My workstation is the closest to the door. I start playing Youtube on one monitor. My teammates are working in the server room down the hall. I have a chat window open to one of them -- waiting while I work another project.

As you're all well aware, office workers can't resist the opportunity to sneak up behind you when they think you're wasting company time and they get to catch you. For those with the preconception that IT folks play on computers all day doing nothing, the prospect of catching us being lazy with company time is this big vindictive cock-tease.

We don't even bother to go over our parts when we dance this dance and lay this trap. We knew what to do from the first time we tried it, and that was several Bambi-eyed, fake-innocent drama trains ago. This is our railroad, bitches. All aboard?

I get a tap on my shoulder not ten minutes later. With a wicked smile across her face, X greets me and brings up the keyboard saga of the last few days. I press enter in Lync, the beacon is lit, and the Rohirrim in the server room presumably see fire on the mountain. With as calm and polite an attitude as I can muster, I turn to meet X in a duel of poisoned niceties.

Casually, one co-worker comes in. He was, of course, also a participant in the cat-and-mouse bullshit from that morning. Speaking as though I believed this was the first time my teammate heard of this incident, I explain to my him what has transpired with X. That's funny, says he. He explains his experience to me in a similar manner.

With X still caught in the middle, the next co-worker comes in. Same routine, except it's now a just a little crowded in the entryway of the IT lab. He is also casually blocking the doorway with his body. We are essentially holding a three-way conversation about X's repeat requests and the inconsistent conversations each of us had with X earlier that day. We're cool as cucumbers all throughout -- playing the innocent game masterfully. Honeyed words slide like poison. I'm sorry, x, I didn't understand. No no, we just want to make sure we get you exactly what you want.

Last teammate comes up behind Dude #3 in the hall. She is older and has been in IT for 35+ years. She is not afraid of anyone. She also has no penchant for bullshit. Big Momma is home.

We younger guys finally spread out to the rest of the lab to make space and clear the air. Smiling earnestly and with demeanor warm, apologetic, and welcoming, Momma explains the nice conversation she had an hour ago with X's supervisor and boss and how both were seemingly confused about the nature of the original request -- particularly the bogus two-week-old bit. With a sweet voice playing counterpoint to a suddenly emotionless, dead expression, she thanks X for her patience and reminds her of the scope of the helpdesk. X fumbles a thanks, gathers her folio, and leaves. The edges of her mouth were doing that gibbering attempt at an even expression middle school kids get when they're called to the front office in the middle of class over the school loudspeaker.

A ticket did not come in today.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I should probably clarify that we use an in-town distributor that delivers by man+van. We don't get tracking information like you do with UPS.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Intra-office warfare, done right.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

That was beautiful.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A little psychopathy and revenge fantasy-ish, but yeah. You got yourself hooked up with a good crew.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
BIG new vulnerability released. Any of you seen this one in the wild yet?

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2014/Dec/37

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Roargasm posted:

I know the email management conversation was a couple pages ago but what the poo poo is this?!

Client has only been on the network for a few hours. Going to take a guess that Mac Mail is a good application.

You're probably right; Mail.app definitely caches my own personal Gmail.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Nards Pan posted:

computer toucher posted:

New day, new java vulnerability.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dogstile posted:

I'm getting off helpdesk (mostly, trial run) and into QA. Idea is that i'll be looking through code and finding root causes rather than going "oh, this doesn't work" and telling a dev like I do right now on a case by case basis. Tentative :yotj:

E: By getting into QA, new department is just me and will build off me. I'll likely lead it once it gets the the point of needing more people. Kinda cool

Unless you are moving into a weird dev-qa hybrid, no you're not. You're still going to be opening tickets saying "XYZ is broken, please fix." The difference is that

1) you will now actively be looking for these issues, instead of logging then when you or a user blunder into them
2) you will need to make a good effort at reliably reproducing these issues
3) you may be listened to less, not more, because the issue is not yet customer facing and this does not impact anyone important

That said, if you have a good QA department that tries to be intelligent and proactive, you may get to set up a test infrastructure that developers can test against directly per commit instead of manually clicking a thousand things, which is development in its own right.

Check whether you're going to be a tester or a test engineer. There is a big, big difference.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
It's raining in San Francisco...

"It appears we have a river running out from under the server room door. Is this an issue?"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been tasked with sending out a Seasons Greetings email to all of our clients.

Sending over 2k emails 70 at a time sucks balls. I'm so afraid of being black listed.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Why on earth aren't you using a mass email system for that?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

I've been tasked with sending out a Seasons Greetings email to all of our clients.

Sending over 2k emails 70 at a time sucks balls. I'm so afraid of being black listed.

Have they not invented BCC where you come from?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Have you guys ever seen a bad SAS cable cause intermittent problems on a system? I'm running out of possibilities for what's causing this super expensive T7600 to boot unreliably and/or fail outright if it has more than 2 drives plugged into it, given that we've replaced the motherboard (and by doing so, the on-board C600 SAS RAID controller).

I generally look at cables as being good=works or bad=doesn't work, but this is intermittent. Once it does boot it seems to work flawlessly.

:sigh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

quicksand posted:

Why on earth aren't you using a mass email system for that?

The company is cheap and gave me 24 hours to figure this out.

nexxai posted:

Have they not invented BCC where you come from?

I am using BCC to send everything.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

I am using BCC to send everything.
Then why aren't you sending the entire email all at once? Since every recipient is hidden, by definition a single, separate copy has to be sent to each recipient. Throw 'em all in the BCC line and hit "Go".

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

m.hache posted:

Try MailChimp. I think it's free even.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

m.hache posted:

The company is cheap and gave me 24 hours to figure this out.

Even something as simple as a one-time use of MailChimp would be better than what you have going on now.

Of course on your end you could always script it with a built-in delay, but that's way more work than pushing some buttons and importing a CSV

Edit:

nexxai posted:

Then why aren't you sending the entire email all at once? Since every recipient is hidden, by definition a single, separate copy has to be sent to each recipient. Throw 'em all in the BCC line and hit "Go".

Because many ISPs and mailservers will black-list you for spamming if you send out too many copies of the same message within a given timeframe.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

ISP Blacklisting concerns

FreshFeesh posted:

Even something as simple as a one-time use of MailChimp would be better than what you have going on now.

Of course on your end you could always script it with a built-in delay, but that's way more work than pushing some buttons and importing a CSV

Edit:

Because many ISPs and mailservers will black-list you for spamming if you send out too many copies of the same message within a given timeframe.

I'll take a look at MailChimp. Maybe I can do this on the cheap.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Have you guys ever seen a bad SAS cable cause intermittent problems on a system? I'm running out of possibilities for what's causing this super expensive T7600 to boot unreliably and/or fail outright if it has more than 2 drives plugged into it, given that we've replaced the motherboard (and by doing so, the on-board C600 SAS RAID controller).

I generally look at cables as being good=works or bad=doesn't work, but this is intermittent. Once it does boot it seems to work flawlessly.

:sigh:

Bad cables cause problems, but not always. This has been a trend in the Hardware Questions Megathread. They can cause data to not be sent or received sometimes.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I can't use Mail chimp because the list of emails they gave me are so out of date that it sets of alerts on Mail Chimp so they refuse to send it.

I guess it's back to manually sending them out. 1500 left.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

SlayVus posted:

Bad cables cause problems, but not always. This has been a trend in the Hardware Questions Megathread. They can cause data to not be sent or received sometimes.

Yeah, and its a cheap thing to try so go for it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Gerdalti posted:

Try MailChimp. I think it's free even.

Seconding this MailChimp is great and is free if you keep under a fairly high limit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

Well, I can't use Mail chimp because the list of emails they gave me are so out of date that it sets of alerts on Mail Chimp so they refuse to send it.

I guess it's back to manually sending them out. 1500 left.

No third party solution required:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849925.aspx

e: If you're running into problems from sending messages too often:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849939.aspx

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 11, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

It's raining in San Francisco...

"It appears we have a river running out from under the server room door. Is this an issue?"
Well that's better than a river running into the server room at least.

I'm in the same storm in Sacramento and am hoping for a power outage so we get sent home.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dogstile posted:

Man, you're almost like a reverse me. I initially was hired to do QA for our e-buisiness team, but then switched over to the managed support team.

The Nards Pan posted:

My company is actually very concerned about this...because we aren't sure whether to laugh, or laugh really, really loving hard.

Long story short:

Keurig Green Mountain (formally Green Mountain Coffee) was a customer of ours. And not a small one, either...they werethe source of over 50% of the company's revenue for the past few years. We did a LOT for them. Almost all of their web development, and 100% of their e-business web development, was done by us. In addition, we sold, installed, and supported large portions of their infrastructure/servers/etc.... We also provided pen-testing, load-testing, Keynote data, etc...

But last year, after they got a new CEO and CIO (one from Coke, the other from...Kraft? I think?) they dropped us like a sack of potatoes to go with some third-rate, off-shore outfit.

We have then proceeded to watch them repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot seemingly every single day since then.

Some of the biggest schadenfreude we get is when we notice the HUGE outages they get, resulting in a LOT of lost revenue. It's hard to put it into real numbers, because while they may average $1 million dollars an hour in online sales, that doesn't mean that being down for 12 hours translates to $12 million in lost revenue, because plenty of those people will place orders later. But it still give a sense of satisfaction knowing that they have almost certainly lost far more money than they "saved" by ditching us.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

But last year, after they got a new CEO and CIO (one from Coke, the other from...Kraft? I think?) they dropped us like a sack of potatoes to go with some third-rate, off-shore outfit.

Ah

The good old, "save money by cutting/firing IT because they don't make us money" CEO practice. What a classic.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
It always baffles me when CIO/CEO's think that cutting IT costs is always for the benefit of the company.

There should be so many other departments that get hit first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

m.hache posted:

It always baffles me when CIO/CEO's think that cutting IT costs is always for the benefit of the company.

There should be so many other departments that get hit first.

Like executive management?

• Locked thread