Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Just have the players be the pokemon and EiJ the trainer situation if you don't want to go all Mystery Dungeon, sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
I'll be honest, I totally want to do a game based on that one weird Pokemon manga where the trainer and their Pokemon just combined into one Kamen Rider esque warrior for JUSTICE.

And that one Digimon series that wasn't very good as a Digimon series, but played with the same concept and is kind of cool in hindsight when you know there's other stuff that stays more true to the form.

What I'm saying is I want to reach peak anime.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Covok posted:

Was talking with my friends on skype about games that take one fantasy archetype and make a whole game based around it. Like Ars Magica with wizards and Pendragon with knights. We couldn't, however, think of one for thieves. Anyone know if there are any for thieves?

I'm actually writing an apocalypse world hack about being a gang of fantasy thieves in a fantasy metropolis. The tone I'm going for is somewhere between GTA: Ankh-Morpork, Hotline New Crobuzon and The Wire: Baldur's Gate Edition.

As far as games that actually exist about thieves, Johnstone Mentzger did a couple: Thieves Can Too, Motherfucker! and Den of Thieves. Den of Thieves is super interesting and uses a deck of cards for both worldgen and resolution mechanics. I'd love to sit down and actually play it at some point. Finally, Hollowpoint could easily run "ultra-competent, merciless fantasy thieves" with some mild reskinning.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hi Chat thread.

I'm getting back to work on wrasslehearts, my pro wrestling themed Monsterhearts rip off reskin. It's neat.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The way I'd do Pokemon trainer stats as poo poo that has to do with interacting with your Pokemon that gets its scope broadened when a need calls for it. So instead of STR INT etc., you'd have stats like Friendship, Ambition, Determination or whatever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Pokemon beyond watching friends play it on Game Boys back in high school, but I think that a game about fantastical animals engaging in sanctioned duels would be just about perfect for lots of social combat: backroom dealings and match rigging and betting and bookies. Don King: The Game, with small magical animals.

That sounds super awesome, actually. I think I heard contenders was a very good little game, I wonder how hard would it be to convert to Pokemon Noir.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but a fan went and made online employee, boss, and store generators for Retail Magic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know a whole lot about Pokemon beyond watching friends play it on Game Boys back in high school, but I think that a game about fantastical animals engaging in sanctioned duels would be just about perfect for lots of social combat: backroom dealings and match rigging and betting and bookies. Don King: The Game, with small magical animals.
I would play this.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
To continue being anime, I feel that a good tone for human/Pokémon interaction would be the one the Persona series tries to present. Going up against a shadow/wild-pokémon without a persona/trained-pokémon is a delaying tactic, where your best hope is to drive it away or distract it so you can run away. You know, because you're hopelessly outmatched in terms of strength, like an 11-year-old against a bear or something.

Of course, as soon as you have that persona/pokémon to stand in front of you, you effectively cease to be a target. Because that's just how it works. :shrug:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
You could always just use Monsters and Other Childish Things? Seems like with only a couple tweaks you could play Pokemon more or less straight, just using only one or two monsters. Hell, if I recall correctly it was born from Ben Baugh trying to create a Pokemon game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was in a pokemon one-shot that used FAE, and it worked really well. The 'mons type and nature were just aspects, and they fought using the trainer's approaches.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

SageNytell posted:

You could always just use Monsters and Other Childish Things? Seems like with only a couple tweaks you could play Pokemon more or less straight, just using only one or two monsters. Hell, if I recall correctly it was born from Ben Baugh trying to create a Pokemon game.

I'd heard that as well. I've actually used MaoCT for a Pokemon game and had a ton of fun. It's not going to give you the "keeping track of things" feel of the games (so if you like obsessing about a Pokemon's nature, forget it), but if you're going for the bizarre adventures of the shows, it works extremely well.

My players also took to playing their Team Rocket grunts with so much enthusiasm and so little competence that they make Jesse and James look good, so the whole thing has been a blast.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sorcerer is secretly the greatest Pokemon Simulator for tabletop, pass it on.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I'd also be all for a game that went full-retard in the other direction, ending up in some sort of mashup of JoJo's and this:

Just build Pokémon PCs exactly the same way as Trainer PCs. Refuse to ever acknowledge the "hey, isn't that just a guy in a suit?" thing. PC names must come from this list.

[Edit:]
@Ewen Cluney: I've been wondering, do you still have any contact with Kamiya? Has he had any reaction/impressions to how the English-speaking world has taken to his games, or to any of the new stuff you and others have made for them?

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2014

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Oh this is pretty great! I ran a one-shot of Retail Magic last week when two of my players were out of town and I thought it was really fun but one of the players was being a grumpy Gus about it.

The day opened with a herd of bulls being stampeded at the shop, so the ogrekin wizard employee levitated the store above them, lost control of the spell, and dropped the store on the bulls. Solved the bull problem but OH NO the store's a complete mess and the boss is due to arrive soon! Some sweet-talking the little old lady in the bakery next door got her to regale the boss with stories before he got to the shop to buy the employees enough time to clean up.

Later that morning, the team found a letter in the break room spelling out that their boss (store owner Sir Lefty) owed a lot of money but weren't sure who it was owed to. Sir Lefty's dastardly brother, Sir Righty, appeared demanding to speak to his brother. While the ogrekin tried unsuccessfully to eavesdrop, the expelled rich kid masterfully dealt with a yokel dripping ice cream on everything and made a sale in the process. Sir Lefty announced he was going on a quest to discover who would try something as underhanded as stampeding cattle into his store (Sir Lefty is a bit naive) and would be back after lunch.

During the employees' lunch break, the town constable proclaimed a bazaar-wide fire drill and demanded that everyone, customers and store workers alike, evacuate. Not to be deterred from tasty sandwiches, the ogrekin cast an illusion spell to make it look like the two employees locked up and left with the rest of the fire drill. While eating, the rich kid noticed a shadowy figure darting around the corner of the store! The employees ran to the back door, ready to strike whoever was trying to break in. In an attempt to catch the robber by surprise, they flung the door open, swinging wildly and beating the poo poo out the empty space that a burglar might have occupied. The ogrekin summoned a spirit to find out if anyone was hiding in the alley, and it reported that "nobody's in the alley, boss!"

Realizing too late what the oily rag must be for, the employees were horrified when Couscous, the almost-helpful stockroom golem, began blaring his smoke alarm. The ogrekin summoned a water elemental to put out the fire in the stockroom, but the elemental got a little too enthusiastic. The town guard also noticed the smoke before it got put out, which brought the constable to the store, banging on the front door and asking if anyone inside was hurt. The fire being contained at this point, the employees decided they didn't want to get in trouble with the law and tried to hide. The rich kid hid in a novelty iron maiden full of bookshelves instead of spikes while the ogrekin booked it out the back door where he stumbled into the shadowy figure from before! Catching a glimpse of the man's face, he recognized the burglar as Mr. Nobody, an infamous bandit of Pastoria. The ogrekin tried to restrain him but Mr. Nobody popped a smoke bomb and disappeared. He did, however, drop an oily rag, pointing to him being the attempted arsonist.

The fire drill now over, the employees came out of hiding and snuck around to the front door and gently caress you, spell check, "snuck" is a perfectly cromulent word. While convincing the constable that the fire was put out by a standing fire protection ritual cast over the store, Sir Lefty returned with big news that everyone already figured out: his fiendish brother Sir Righty might be to blame for the recent calamities afflicting Sir Lefty's Magical Emporium! Lefty charged his employees with a new quest, to find evidence that connects Righty to the crimes of the day. The rich kid suggested having a big sale to attract a lot of customers away from Righty's store (Sir Righty's Thaumaturgical Warehouse) and the ogrekin decided he could make sale-exclusive love potions to make the sale more enticing. Lefty was on board with the idea and held down the fort while his intrepid business squires located the key ingredients for the potion, amber and lemon juice.

Amber was easy enough to get, but not a single lemon was to be found in the whole bazaar! Desperate for ideas, they approached the barker's display in the middle of the bazaar, advertising Professor Paradox's Infinite Improbability Engine. The Professor claimed that his Engine could turn copper to wishes, if your desire was true and luck was on your side. A young girl volunteered to try it, saying she needed her work mule to be cured of its illness. She put a copper coin in the slot and walked the mule in and after a great deal of buzzing, whirring, grinding, and steam whistles, her sickly pack mule had been transformed into a powerful and healthy stallion! Amazing! The employees volunteered next, saying all they needed was a couple of lemons. After much to-do like the first demonstration, it seemed like nothing happened! "Too bad, kids, maybe another time," the Professor said just before the entire bazaar started rumbling.

All around the bazaar, people were confused and frighted by the sudden earthquake when suddenly, lemon trees! Sprouting fully-formed and ready to pick! The employees tried to ignore the fact that some of the trees sprouted up inside some nearby stores and booths, grabbed all the lemons they needed, and skedaddled back to the store and are you kidding me spell check? "Skedaddled" is fine but "snuck" gets flagged? Really? The ogrekin got to work making the potions with Couscous bottling and labeling the citrus-y concoction while the rich kid and Sir Lefty put up displays and marked down prices. The townsfolk, intrigued by the idea of a sale, started gathering around and flooded into the store when the door reopened. Bottles of Aphrodite Dew were flying off the shelves when Sir Righty showed up claiming that Sir Lefty tried to burn his own store down for the insurance money!

While Sirs Lefty and Righty debated over the false evidence being presented, the entire store was lifted from the ground by a giant lemon tree sprouting directly underneath! The rich kid was able to convince the panicking customers that it was all part of a promotional show, but not before Mr. Nobody swung through a window to get his revenge on the ogrekin that prevented him from getting paid for torching the store. The ogrekin used his magic and some merchandise from the store to drive Mr. Nobody away, while the rich kid gave an impassioned speech that turned the store's customers against Sir Righty. Overcome by rage, Righty attacked the employee but was easily tricked into slipping on a puddle of spilled Eterna-Slick (your dungeon doors will never creak or stick again!) into a display case of Instant Statue clay (great for arts and crafts with the kids!). The ogrekin cast a spell to ungrow the lemon tree and with the store set back into the ground, the town guards wheeled away Sir Righty.

As the day came to a close, the sale was a huge success and Sir Lefty's debt problems were on their way to being solved. After locking up and getting ready to walk home, the employees were approached by a little old lady in a very pointy hat. She cackled and declared that she would have her revenge for knocking her booth over with a lemon tree and horning in on her potion business, then hopped on her broom and flew away. The employees were a little worried but, hey, they just got bonus pay. That whole witch thing than wait for another shift.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Well, it looks like the Nobilis thread never existed, or did once but fell outside Creation. So I'll post this here.

The Great White Book is available in PDF, thanks to the hard work of better people than me. Rejoice!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Doodmons posted:

I'm actually writing an apocalypse world hack about being a gang of fantasy thieves in a fantasy metropolis. The tone I'm going for is somewhere between GTA: Ankh-Morpork, Hotline New Crobuzon and The Wire: Baldur's Gate Edition.

This sounds brilliant! Are you looking for any advice/ playtesting? I'd love to help.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Plague of Hats posted:

Well, it looks like the Nobilis thread never existed, or did once but fell outside Creation. So I'll post this here.

The Great White Book is available in PDF, thanks to the hard work of better people than me. Rejoice!

"The third printi...

There was no third printing."

I was unaware people were so down on Nobilis 3E. Is it because the art is so wildly varied in quality? Because honestly that part's hilarious.

So is this to get a PDF of the first edition of the game?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
The Great White Book is Nobilis 2e, so I assume they're talking about their... difficulties with Guardians of Order, the original publisher.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Alright. I already own 3E, is 2E considered better or should I just stick with my field guide to the powers?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There is a serious tone and mysticism to the GWB that I value and love. However, the GWB is an excellent piece of art, while I think the Field Guide is in every way a superior game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gnome7 posted:

"The third printi...

Oh, the one from the Humble Bundle a week or two ago?

There was controversy due to one of the artists tracing Touhou fanart for their contributions.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Plague of Hats posted:

There is a serious tone and mysticism to the GWB that I value and love. However, the GWB is an excellent piece of art, while I think the Field Guide is in every way a superior game.

Yeah, basically this. I would love a Nobilis that mixed the tone of 2e with the (much) superior gameplay of 3e.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

AmiYumi posted:

@Ewen Cluney: I've been wondering, do you still have any contact with Kamiya? Has he had any reaction/impressions to how the English-speaking world has taken to his games, or to any of the new stuff you and others have made for them?
He's been pretty insanely busy with his own current projects (Nechronica and his Ma-Gungi card game), so while I'm still in contact with him, it's mainly business stuff, but he's generally happy to hear that his games are succeeding, a little jealous of the quality of the layout Clay Gardner did for us, and enough of a fan of our original material that he said he could see doing a Japanese translation at some point. (Though there are apparently fan translations, and one guy has been running online games of GSS making heavy use of our original material.)

Lynx Winters posted:

Oh this is pretty great! I ran a one-shot of Retail Magic last week when two of my players were out of town and I thought it was really fun but one of the players was being a grumpy Gus about it.

:words:
That's pretty phenomenal, and pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for when I made the game. :)

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Alright. I already own 3E, is 2E considered better or should I just stick with my field guide to the powers?

2nd Ed had much better written (if you like/can read Jenna Moran) fluff but the rules were waaaay worse. It also provided a lot of setting detail that was sadly left out of 3rd Ed. Stuff like the symbols each Nobilis wear to represent their ranks in Domain. It's definitely worth a read if you're going to run 3rd Ed just so you can inject more flavour into the setting and flesh things out a bit, although it's not necessary if you've got high enough levels in Avatar: Jenna Moran and can channel her prose.

Edit: Also Flower Rites. Those were pimp.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

The Supreme Court posted:

This sounds brilliant! Are you looking for any advice/ playtesting? I'd love to help.

As with all three of my projects, both of those things once it's more than some disjointed notes. I'll post some stuff in the apocworld thread. The two main selling points are HP as a stealth metre (taking damage being getting closer to being caught) and inventory as a bunch of slots on your character sheet that you slot things into like it was a CRPG. Wearing clothes with more pockets lets you carry more stuff, but weight is negative armor. It's a balancing act.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was controversy due to one of the artists tracing Touhou fanart for their contributions.

Ha! That sounds like Guardians of Order alright, I remeber BESM had a piece of Phantasy Star Online fan art in there, but I recongized the Viridia section ID.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I think that all of 3E was under Eos, not GoO (the tracing stuff was an early 3E issue, unless I'm misremembering something from 2E). The GoO stuff was like (as far as I remember) them basically making off with the money.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron Snow posted:

Ha! That sounds like Guardians of Order alright, I remeber BESM had a piece of Phantasy Star Online fan art in there, but I recongized the Viridia section ID.
Nah, this was after GoO died. They ripped out the art when they caught it and replaced it with new stuff.

For some reason the artist put the Excurcians in their art in green jackets. It was a little weird seeing them have a uniform.

Asymmetrikon posted:

I think that all of 3E was under Eos, not GoO (the tracing stuff was an early 3E issue, unless I'm misremembering something from 2E). The GoO stuff was like (as far as I remember) them basically making off with the money.
GoO had a bunch of their books, which they didn't own but were distributing, which they never gave back when they went under. I think to this day copies keep turning up on ebay for high prices and such.

Anyway second edition goes into detail on, among other things, Excrucian motivations and how they actually go about ripping parts of Creation away, which is something rather important to know. ( There's one particularly interesting sidebar excerpt from an in-setting book that points out that Creation has a limited number of ages... )

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

gnome7 posted:

"The third printi...

I was unaware people were so down on Nobilis 3E. Is it because the art is so wildly varied in quality? Because honestly that part's hilarious.

Jenna is referring to the third printing of the second edition, which as stated never happened, not the third edition, which did happen and is still available on DTRPG.

EDIT: Also, 3e has information on flower rites in the Deceivers supplement, for those who want it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kai Tave posted:

Let alone the fact that my first reaction to "you're sitting around the gaming table when suddenly you hear an explosion nearby! What do you do?" would, in all likelihood, be "look outside the window to see what's going on, maybe call 911," not "band together with my gaming group and form a mystery solving team," and I'm pretty sure that holds true for the people I've gamed with over the years as well. Which means even sans superpowers the premise of these scenarios seems to hinge on you playing "yourself," but a "yourself" that responds to things in Default RPG Protagonist mode instead of, y'know, how you'd actually react to horrifying disasters and apocalypse scenarios.
I know this topic has run its course since I remembered to come back here, but I wanted to say that this always comes up if your group is being honest with what they would actually do--so either 911 is jammed and you ramp up reasons for people to stop hiding and go investigating until one takes, or the police/ambulance response unit becomes the first victims of whatever is going on in order to show the party that poo poo JUST GOT REAL. Or, I suppose, you just let them stay and hide forever! Haha.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

s t a t y o u r s e l f a n d f a c e t o b l o o d s h e d
Basically this

Also I know thinking up "gritty Pokémon reboot" is an idea that has likely occurred to many over the years, but my friends and I are all sad that this exists now because we had plotted out at least a couple of episodes of something very similar and clearly should have made it first. With our collective 0.7 people who are motivated and skilled enough to draw anything.

ALSO WHY DOES THIS PROPOSED MAP/HANDOUT/ACCOUTREMENTS/PARAPHERNALIA THREAD NOT EXIST YET

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having come in and suddenly seen the statting-yourself discussion, it seems like it would be easy in Chuubo or some other system where your productivity isn't necessarily in specific skills or where your abilities are freeform.

I could do myself up pretty easily Chuubo-style as:

• Kindness 3. You get a lot more done when you're doing it for somebody else.
  • Laughter 1. You're familiar with not letting things get too heavy.
  • "Go on until you're stopped." 2. This is your motto!
  • Law 1. It would not be illegal for you to practice as an attorney.
  • Figure it Out 1. If nothing else works, you can always Google it.

That could be my character sheet if you assume that I'm an extremely fit Harvard graduate or a ball of lard locked in a refrigerator!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

I have been working on a tutorial for making maps based off my long years occasional bouts of work. I am hoping to make it comprehensive enough to help people out with making fancy maps.

Awesome

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Asymmetrikon posted:

Would you really, though?

I had to read the rest of that page and then come back to this, because this really resonated as a question for me.

Because I don't think most people would still be 'them' if they were suddenly a protagonist in a non-apocalypse downer RPG. In real life I'm semi-outgoing and generally go out with friends or my significant others once a week or so, I play video games and watch movies because they're fun. I crochet to pass the time and read dumb forum posts and make dumber ones. I go out with my (redneck) family a few times a year and shoot guns because they like it, and hey it's fun.

If I suddenly woke up tomorrow and had the ability to punch someone into the stratosphere, I'd probably never do any of those hobbies again!

And I consider myself a nice person who wouldn't hurt others and would never steal or break the law, but if I suddenly woke up with the ability to turn invisible, walk through walls, or teleport, gently caress yeah I'd go rob a bank probably.'

Is it still 'me' if I can see myself doing something maybe? I guess so.

Every time I've been involved in an 'rp yourself' rp, its ended with creepers creeping on people 'IC' and getting mad when we tell them to stop out of character because ew creepy nerds. Also the fact that every one of them has also been 'stat yourself' so like 4 out of every 6 characters would end up being 18 int 16 wisdom geniuses with 6 str/dex/con who have no practical skills (okay, none of them were D&D. Two were Exalted, two were Hunter, one was an L5R game where the concept was 'you're standing around a tabletop game when suddenly arms reach out and drag you into the book. You wake up just outside the Shadowlands clad in samurai gear.' which was pretty fuckin' great as a concept, but sucked in execution. But you get what I mean - they always became a shitshow of the nerdy people going 'well I'm the smartest and wisest IRL so i'm the smartest i can be in the game')

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

KittyEmpress posted:

Two were Exalted, two were Hunter, one was an L5R game where the concept was 'you're standing around a tabletop game when suddenly arms reach out and drag you into the book. You wake up just outside the Shadowlands clad in samurai gear.' which was pretty fuckin' great as a concept, but sucked in execution. But you get what I mean - they always became a shitshow of the nerdy people going 'well I'm the smartest and wisest IRL so i'm the smartest i can be in the game')

I think World of Darkness games are particularly poor choices for this. They tend to attract people with the worst social tendencies, and the stats are so nebulous that everyone thinks they have Driving 3 because they totally drift and people start arguing about Intelligence vs. Wits and gently caress you guys I'm just going to go play my DS until you are ready to play. It's amusing because a core conceit of the game is that you can start out as mortals and then get converted into whatever.

The L5R game sounds fun, though. Navigating that culture blind would be a blast. Nerds ruin everything.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zurui posted:

The L5R game sounds fun, though. Navigating that culture blind would be a blast. Nerds ruin everything.

The concept was especially great because I was the only one who had actually read L5R beforehand, so I just played along with everyone. Even better was that we kept our 'real' races, so all but one of us were foreigners.

Of course one of the guys quit after session one, after being like WAIT BUT THEY'RE WOMEN and having NPCs be like 'yes, so???' because L5R isn't sexist as a default because it 'wasn't realisitc'. He didn't get invited back when we changed to a different game/concept.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ugh, gross. Sorry you had and undoubtedly have to deal with that.

That is another thing I have never encountered, and it is an obvious potential hindrance to enjoying "play yourself" games. drat. Jerks ruin games in so many ways.

Most of our crossover games start by heading the intelligence debate off at the pass, saying "O.K. great you all have (higher than average) Intelligence and nobody can change it until the game gets underway," haha. Though I am surprised you encountered that problem with Wisdom, as most of our group agreed they would be below average at best, haha. I mean, we ARE choosing to pretend to be ourselves but with magic powers instead of (insert productive non-nerdy pastime here).

A couple of my old group have been trying to get me to run a play-yourself game at Gen-Con for a few years, maybe I will finally do that next year and beg for Goon Attendance. Goontendance. Goontendo

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I see that many of you are interested in an RPG that allows you to play adorable monsters. Have you given my friend, BASIC EXPERT COMPANION MASTER IMMORTAL: ORCS OF THAR a try?!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

Driving 3 because they totally drift

I know this isn't the point but 3 dots in WOD is average so that would be perfectly fine.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Elfgames posted:

I know this isn't the point but 3 dots in WOD is average so that would be perfectly fine.
:eng101: That's for Attributes. Three dots in an Ability (Talent/Skill/Knowledge) is supposed to represent "could do this for a living" level skill, IIRC (except for Knowledges, pretty sure the bar there is 4 dots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Games with coarsely-grained attribute and skill ratings are always terrible about stuff like that. The writers set down what each rating is supposed to correspond to, fine, and then almost invariably completely ignore it. Like in Shadowrun how having a 6 in an attribute is supposed to represent peak unaugmented human capability, best of the best in the days before orks and trolls showed up, but you need a Strength of 8 to hip-fire an M60 machinegun, a thing that real unaugmented people have been known to do all the time. Plus a 6 Strength really just works out to 2 average successes on a roll anyway so it's not even that impressive to begin with.

• Locked thread