Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

ocall posted:

To make it even worse, we don't even have a formal on-call rotation. I literally could be called at any time. Hell, I got called about a minor issue when i was at my brother's wedding reception(I didn't recognize the number).

Add all those numbers to a single contact with named "Check Voicemail Later" and a blank ringtone. Missed calls show up as a simple reminder to simply check your voicemail later, whenever its convenient. Set yourself up with Google Voice and it'll transcribe any messages for you, and you can even assign a custom "I'm not at the office and will return your call tomorrow" answering message for those jerkbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ocall posted:

To make it even worse, we don't even have a formal on-call rotation. I literally could be called at any time. Hell, I got called about a minor issue when i was at my brother's wedding reception(I didn't recognize the number).

If there's no formal on-call rotation, then I am not on call. Period.

A formal on-call rotation gets developed pretty drat quick when no one is available. And then it becomes, well if you need me to be on call after hours, you will need to issue me a phone or pay for the voice plan on my personal one. If you want me to do email, you'll have to get me a smart phone or pay for mine.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 11, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

flosofl posted:

If there's no formal on-call rotation, then I am not on call. Period.

A formal on-call rotation gets developed pretty drat quick when no one is available. And then it becomes, well if you need me to be on call after hours, you will need to issue me a phone or pay for the voice plan on my personal one. If you want me to do email, you'll have to get me a smart phone or pay for mine.

You're not being a team player!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Did anyone else know HP have officially given up and are shouting to the world "don't buy our poo poo!"?

This is the journey of downloading firmware for a switch.
Okay, I tried this from my home computer and ended up at this page?

"jg350a" into google, first hit is this site
Technical Support/Manuals on the sidebar on the right, this site
"Get drivers, software & firmware." link, this site
Clicked on the button next to JG350A, got the link above.

:confuoot:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

FISHMANPET posted:

Also WTF am I doing :words:ing about lovely laptop purchases when I just got a :yotj: into a senior admin role.

Congrats! Was this the one with the group interview you were worried about?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

likw1d posted:

While we're at it, why bother spending money on a email solution like office 355. Didn't verizon give us a free email? We can all share that!
Office 355? Is this a dig at Microsoft's cloud service outages?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

Congrats! Was this the one with the group interview you were worried about?

That would be the one. The hiring manager called me but I was at the dentist so he sent me an email with the subject "touch base" so I start freaking out and trying to get a hold of him trying to figure out why I hadn't gotten the job and when I finally got a hold of him he offered me the job and sounded like he was relieved and surprised that I accepted it.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
poo poo: Like me, my immediate predecessor almost, but did not completely understand what he was doing and it's his fault that our redundant firewalls haven't been redundant in years.

More poo poo: This could have been discovered in the three or four hours it took me to trace through things, if only we'd budgeted the time to investigate when we first realized it was broken instead of waiting for a disaster.

Even more poo poo: gently caress you, keepalived, I need you to control more than 20 IPs...

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 11, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

Okay, I tried this from my home computer and ended up at this page?

"jg350a" into google, first hit is this site
Technical Support/Manuals on the sidebar on the right, this site
"Get drivers, software & firmware." link, this site
Clicked on the button next to JG350A, got the link above.

:confuoot:

It's the page that Google links to that seems to be impossible to get to through HPs own site.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
My current job doesn't piss me off as much as my last one so I've not needed this thread lately, however I'm looking for a recommendation on backup software to replace Symantec Backup Exec for backing up about 4 servers to tape. The rest of our servers are VM and getting backed up with Veeam. Thanks!

Rz666
Jan 31, 2013
Hi and welcome to the 'Am I retarded' Quiz:

You are a teacher at a practical school for children with a mental disorder and find yourself in the situation where you have to find a place for a pupil to do schoolwork, what do you do?

A) I place the pupil in a suitable place to do his/her work.
B) I open the sysadmin office and leave the pupil unattended to do his/her work, next to a shitload of expensive, sensitive, production server equipment and don't bother to lock the office for the rest of the day.

According to the security camera's, one of the teachers succeeded this test flawless by choosing option B :psyduck:

E: typo

Rz666 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Why does the teacher have a key to the sysadmin office? Why are there servers in the sysadmin office? Why are you using retarded as a pejorative when you should know better?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Erwin posted:

Why does the teacher have a key to the sysadmin office?
Was my first thought.

Rz666
Jan 31, 2013

Erwin posted:

Why does the teacher have a key to the sysadmin office? Why are there servers in the sysadmin office? Why are you using retarded as a pejorative when you should know better?

I don't have a clue how she got that key. Teachers normally don't have access to the sysadmin office. Also the server's are not in the office but next to it separated by a door so it basically gives you access to the server room.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not pissing me off: Today is free ham day! :btroll:

Kind of pissing me off: Who needs a Christmas bonus when you have a $12 ham?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Erwin posted:

Most smaller schools have the servers in the sysadmin office. Smaller budgets and that. They'll either be in the room or literally connected to it and left unlocked because you don't expect a teacher who usually doesn't have a key to leave someone with issues in a room with expensive stuff.

E: f;b

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

n3rdal3rt posted:

That's no way to talk about your boss. :colbert:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

n3rdal3rt posted:

People still get Christmas bonuses? I wouldn't know they even existed except for 80's movies.

My Christmas bonus is free Chinese food(love my boss) and a really slow couple of weeks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Email from IT Director: "Hey everyone, remember to report your training, because its really empty this year. This area is audited on so everyone put their time in!"

Gee, maybe its empty because no one has received any training. Also saying that the auditors won't be happy about it isn't my problem, so I hope they do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

Email from IT Director: "Hey everyone, remember to report your training, because its really empty this year. This area is audited on so everyone put their time in!"

Gee, maybe its empty because no one has received any training. Also saying that the auditors won't be happy about it isn't my problem, so I hope they do.

Our CIO seems to fundamentally misapprehend the meaning of the phrase "professional development." We have had two PD days this calendar year and they have been the managers of each area of responsibility talking about what their team does. Admittedly this is, if not an improvement, at least no worse than last year's zero PD days.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Pissing me off: the overuse of the word "super"

"Super passionate!"
"Super happy!"
"Super pumped!"
It's even making its way into job descriptions. Alright already!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CitizenKain posted:

I've asked for training since day one at this job, and the three bosses I've gone through have all said it would happen. When they fired my coworker a month ago I told my boss I wanted something in writing. He said he'd talked to the EVP (his boss) and get that for me.

Hasn't happened. Due to this and a multitude of other reasons, my New Year's resolution is to :yotj:.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

sounded like he was relieved and surprised that I accepted it.

Uh, oh.

Seriously, congrats.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alien Arcana posted:

That's no way to talk about your boss. :colbert:

I wouldn't demean the ham by making that comparison.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Mrit posted:

People still get Christmas bonuses? I wouldn't know they even existed except for 80's movies.

My Christmas bonus is free Chinese food(love my boss) and a really slow couple of weeks.

My last job the Christmas bonus was a $50 best buy gift card. With the new job, don't think we get anything.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

n3rdal3rt posted:

I wouldn't demean the ham by making that comparison.

:golfclap:

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Not sure who to thank for that.... or if I should, lol.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They only paid $9.95 for that $12 ham so it was a great deal!

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

They only paid $9.95 for that $12 ham so it was a great deal!

Just ignore the expiration date. It's more of a suggestion anyway.

Rz666
Jan 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Most smaller schools have the servers in the sysadmin office. Smaller budgets and that. They'll either be in the room or literally connected to it and left unlocked because you don't expect a teacher who usually doesn't have a key to leave someone with issues in a room with expensive stuff.

E: f;b

Exactly this. I'm happy nothing has been destroyed or stolen but still got mad about this.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mrit posted:

poo poo, this year my Christmas bonus was enough that I bought a gun with it.

I bought a gun with last year's, too.

... My employer is unaware that he is fueling my tendency to buy guns with disposable income.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh man, co-worker just brought up the best counter to the, store poo poo in the recycle bin argument.

"You know who else pulls poo poo out of the recycle bin? Homeless people"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

Starting a new job in the new year, winding things down at my current one. My new boss told me today they were going to give out hams to all current employees and he managed to secure one for me :yotj: New job looking good.

Also Parents in law apparently won a ham which they are bringing to Christmas dinner, so pissing me off: probably going to be sitting on more ham then can be reasonably be eaten.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Today: piles of nail clippings at general use PCs. :barf:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: Nintex.

Exit Strategy posted:

poo poo, this year my Christmas bonus was enough that I bought a gun with it.

I bought a gun with last year's, too.

This has been almost every bonus I've ever received. It's always gone towards or paid for a new gun.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

n3rdal3rt posted:

What the hell, is this a holiday or something? Today was the day to collect your free turkey at work.

I now have 4 lbs of smoked turkey sitting in my fridge.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

hihifellow posted:

What the hell, is this a holiday or something? Today was the day to collect your free turkey at work.

I now have 4 lbs of smoked turkey sitting in my fridge.

Not from work, but I found an amazing deal on a 7 pound bone-in new york roast which is now sitting in my freezer. Christmas is going to be awesome.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Nintex.

This has been almost every bonus I've ever received. It's always gone towards or paid for a new gun.

How are your puckins this year?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's annoying how employers and recruiters update their jobs posts so that day after day the posting appears to be brand new. When I search by date at all the job boards I have to wade through the same raft of jobs that I've seen for days and try to pick out the ones that are freshly posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

It's annoying how employers and recruiters update their jobs posts so that day after day the posting appears to be brand new. When I search by date at all the job boards I have to wade through the same raft of jobs that I've seen for days and try to pick out the ones that are freshly posted.

A job search is a full time job of its own. :(